Kindle Fire 7" Tablet Now Shipping $199 - New Kindles From $79 - Reviews are out

PRIME=free 2 day shipping,
a netflix-like service, which is amazons VOD offering, and
1 free book a month from the "Kindle lending library" which has a limited but decent selection depending on what you like to read

[quote name='jacknicklson']Anyone pick up a sleeve yet?

Im thinking of grabbing this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005K2XUPK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

They are pretty ugly but i just want something to keep it in when not in use and without a zipper

I saw one at Best Buy and it felt nice but it was $35 there so I didnt pick it up.[/QUOTE]

You can get kindle fire sleeves or leatherette covers on ebay for 10 bucks. Don't bother wasting so much money on just a cover.

[quote name='Strigol']PRIME=free 2 day shipping,
a netflix-like service, which is amazons VOD offering, and
1 free book a month from the "Kindle lending library" which has a limited but decent selection depending on what you like to read[/QUOTE]

Can you go to a local public library and download epubs to the kindle?

[quote name='Strigol']yes, there's a link in the kindle fire's app store to amazons free app every day...Snagged dungeon defenders, office, and bejeweled from it[/QUOTE]

Damn I was looking for that but couldn't find it. :cry:

Its at the top of the app store, the daily deal will be listed. You cant miss it

And yes, you can get books from your library

And goku, thanks for the suggestion but I would rather not go down the Honk Kong eBay Express. I'd rather not wait a few weeks and for some reason, stuff I order always seems to have a weird smell. Might just be me though lol

[quote name='jacknicklson']Its at the top of the app store, the daily deal will be listed. You cant miss it

And yes, you can get books from your library

And goku, thanks for the suggestion but I would rather not go down the Honk Kong eBay Express. I'd rather not wait a few weeks and for some reason, stuff I order always seems to have a weird smell. Might just be me though lol[/QUOTE]

Nope, it's not just you. A lot of those knock-offs are made with sub-par materials and do tend to stink.

That said, the sleeve you're reviewing seems too expensive for what you're getting. Maybe wait or look around a bit more.

I canceled my Fire and ordered the Asus Transformer from Amazon's Warehouse. I've never owned a tablet, but I feel it's time for me to get into the game. I think the Transformer is a better fit for me, even though I am obsessed with Amazon's services. My girlfriend's dad is getting two Fires for his kids for Christmas. I think it's awesome he's getting his kids the Fire. My parents are so clueless on such things.

[quote name='jbz']obsessed with Amazon services means you should have bought a Fire :)[/QUOTE] Haha. Would downloading all the Amazon apps from the Android Marketplace be a fair compromise?

Nook Tablet vs Kindle Fire from Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/18/kindle-fire-vs-nook-tablet-fight/

They give the edge to the Fire for pricing and its Amazon suite, but if you look at the video and read the review I'd say the Nook clearly the better device. I don't think the price should even be a huge advantage for the Fire considering it's half the onboard storage and you must have Prime to take advantage of the VOD service. The only significant edge the Fire has is the more appealing UI. The nook is faster, has a better looking display, better video playback, etc..

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9OAztGQeUU

The size difference is also pretty significant, though I'd say the Fire is more aesthetically pleasing to look at. Not big on the silver color of the NT, or the design in general really.

kindle-vs-nook2011-03-1118-43-43600.jpg

I would never pay more than $300 for a tablet. its just not worth it including the ipad2. my smartphone can do everything a tablet can but the specs and price for the nook tablet its tempting

So what do you do if you have two amazon accounts in your household but have digital content split between them? Just go with the one with the content you want on your kindle fire? I accidentally started buying Season 2 of Walking Dead on the wrong account for instance.

Yeah I'm in for my first tablet, It will arrive on Monday! Got in on the $$20 Mastercard deal, with $10 off the fire and $10 on future amazon purchase as well.

So I got a fire. I like it so far. Have never used a tablet or really even a smartphone before.

So the Fire has android, but not all andriod apps work for Fire? I tried to get the redbox app and it didn't work. There was also a andriod game I wanted to try, but it doesn't appear to be downloadable through the fire??

T

[quote name='ssjmichael']Nook Tablet vs Kindle Fire from Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/18/kindle-fire-vs-nook-tablet-fight/

They give the edge to the Fire for pricing and its Amazon suite, but if you look at the video and read the review I'd say the Nook clearly the better device. I don't think the price should even be a huge advantage for the Fire considering it's half the onboard storage and you must have Prime to take advantage of the VOD service. The only significant edge the Fire has is the more appealing UI. The nook is faster, has a better looking display, better video playback, etc..

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9OAztGQeUU

The size difference is also pretty significant, though I'd say the Fire is more aesthetically pleasing to look at. Not big on the silver color of the NT, or the design in general really.

kindle-vs-nook2011-03-1118-43-43600.jpg
[/QUOTE]

My main concern about the Nook is the size of the install base and whether B&N can stay in business... those are unknowns...

I'm pretty sure that the Fire install base will be large and Amazon won't be going away anytime soon...

[quote name='wakawakawa']So I got a fire. I like it so far. Have never used a tablet or really even a smartphone before.

So the Fire has android, but not all andriod apps work for Fire? I tried to get the redbox app and it didn't work. There was also a andriod game I wanted to try, but it doesn't appear to be downloadable through the fire??

T[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've noticed that in the Amazon Appstore, some apps are not Fire compatible... also there is no simple way to get Android Marketplace on it... people have found certain ways to get around this, but I haven't bothered to look into that too much. With time, I suspect that this issue will clarify itself.

[quote name='BigT']Yeah, I've noticed that in the Amazon Appstore, some apps are not Fire compatible... also there is no simple way to get Android Marketplace on it... people have found certain ways to get around this, but I haven't bothered to look into that too much. With time, I suspect that this issue will clarify itself.[/QUOTE]

I rooted my android phone, I would assume it's possible on the Fire as well?

[quote name='BigT']My main concern about the Nook is the size of the install base and whether B&N can stay in business... those are unknowns...

I'm pretty sure that the Fire install base will be large and Amazon won't be going away anytime soon...[/QUOTE]

That's the reason I didn't hesitate buying a Kindle Fire, bought 3 ebooks since I got it.

[quote name='Scorch']Mid-December delivery on the 3-5 business days shipping option.. Ouch.. but it's cheap, and I'll wait. Thanks![/QUOTE]

that's the one i use now.. its brest.. somewhat thick though.

[quote name='Rodster']Those looking for a Fire Cover for the cheap, here it is. :)

$7.65 + $3.95 shipping, ships 12-9 and has really good reviews. I ordered one.

http://www.amazon.com/splash-SAFARI...OS/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1321811543&sr=8-14
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I couldn't justify spending $30 on a cover but this might fit the bill. There are also different colors that will be released Nov 24 for $13.85 + $5.99 shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/splash-SAFARI...5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1321814458&sr=1-5
http://www.amazon.com/splash-SAFARI...6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1321814458&sr=1-6

Went in to BestBuy with intentions of purchasing the Kindle Wifi because I already own an iPad + Samsung Galaxy S II and just wanted a cheap and lightweight e-reader. After playing with the display Kindle fire model I walked out with it. As long as you keep your expectations in check then you will be happy with it. I quickly found a way to load up some of my apk's. Now I'm playing Eternal Legacy HD smoothly. 7" is a great size, it can even fit inside my jacket pocket so no need for a seperate bag/bookbag for it.

[quote name='BigT']Yeah, I've noticed that in the Amazon Appstore, some apps are not Fire compatible...[/QUOTE]

...and some apps that are "compatible" don't actually work well on the Fire.

Just picked up ComiCat on a strong series of reviews that it "worked great" on the Fire, and came to find it failed to recognize .cbz and .cbr files more often than not. 77% failure rate.

I am ordering two kindle fires for my kids. I do not own a kindle nor wish to. I emailed customer service about prime video sharing between the two accounts. this was the part of Amazon's reply for that part of the question "For using benefits of prime instant video both the accounts should have Amazon prime, however if anyone of the account is under share prime that account cannot use benefits for Prime instant Video."

So from this they could not share prime video on the two kindle fires. But I have read elsewhere that two fires can share video prime accounts and stream at the same time.

Also will programs and books be shared across both if I put them under one account?

Another thing is I do not want to put them under my account as I don't want them to have access. I wonder if I could create another amazon account under me and load it up with gift cards and register their kindles under that.

If anyone can help me with all of this I would appreciate it. ;)

oh yes and I keep reading that you HAVE to have a credit card associated with the kindle fire amazon account is that true?. I do not want to do that. I wonder if I could use an old visa gift card that has no balance but does not expire for a long time.

Amazon is sorely lacking in finding information on family kindle accounts and configuration....almost makes me want to pass as it is to much of a headache.

OMG, I bought a Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard) off glyde like 1-2 months ago. It didn't have any Special Offers on it or any options to suggest it did, so I figured it just wasn't one of those models. Now I decided to fiddle with some settings on the Amazon's website and there's an option to turn Special Offers on! It sucks that I missed out on some deals but I'm so glad I have a Special Offers model! The ads don't bother me one bit and I know for sure I'm going to take advantage of them. It looks like I can unsubscribe anytime too which is cool.

I got the Kindle for $34 shipped and it was one of my best purchases ever, I love this thing.

Edit: Just used a special offer to buy get a humor book (well really a Zombie book) for $1. This rocks!

Last edited by a moderator:
My only issues are the video quality is so-so and the wifi signal never stays strong. Oh and it doesn't like to keep me signed in cag. I'm also getting a lot of mobile sites. Everything else is great. Posting this from my fire.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']My only issues are the video quality is so-so and the wifi signal never stays strong. Oh and it doesn't like to keep me signed in cag. I'm also getting a lot of mobile sites. Everything else is great. Posting this from my fire.[/QUOTE]

Is there an option in the browser's settings to use a Desktop agent? I know Android's browser has something like that and that should disable it from automatically loading mobile versions. If not, hopefully Amazon does add in an update.

The sign-in thing could be a cookies issue. Maybe it's deleting them after a while or something

[quote name='ssjmichael']Is there an option in the browser's settings to use a Desktop agent? I know Android's browser has something like that and that should disable it from automatically loading mobile versions. If not, hopefully Amazon does add in an update.

The sign-in thing could be a cookies issue. Maybe it's deleting them after a while or something[/QUOTE]

yes, there is. saw it on a youtube review video. I guess go to settings and try to find it under browser settings or something. Nice, thing too was that the fire plays flash.

The volume while watching Netflix is way too low. It's fine for music, but terrible on Netflix for some reason. Anyway, my mom bought my fire off of me. I tried giving it to her as a Christmas gift, but she loves it and insisted on buying it. I just can't justify having another tablet besides my iPad 2, because the iPad does everything that I want, and then some. I'm glad she can get some use out of the fire. It's a great tablet for the casual user.

[quote name='Jacoblee23']The volume while watching Netflix is way too low. It's fine for music, but terrible on Netflix for some reason. Anyway, my mom bought my fire off of me. I tried giving it to her as a Christmas gift, but she loves it and insisted on buying it. I just can't justify having another tablet besides my iPad 2, because the iPad does everything that I want, and then some. I'm glad she can get some use out of the fire. It's a great tablet for the casual user.[/QUOTE]

just curious, what do heavy ipad users typically use the device for? on a daily basis?

[quote name='lakers2008']yes, there is. saw it on a youtube review video. I guess go to settings and try to find it under browser settings or something. Nice, thing too was that the fire plays flash.[/QUOTE]

Found it thanks :)

[quote name='giantqtipz']just curious, what do heavy ipad users typically use the device for? on a daily basis?[/QUOTE]

Majority of my web browsing (daily)
Watching Netflix, Hulu, video podcasts, some cable content. (daily)
Reading books, comics, magazines (daily)
Video Games (most days)
Use it as my remote for my cable box and Roku (most days)
Nutrition tracking for my diet (daily)
Creating shopping lists which I link to the iPhones (when needed)
Home budgeting software (most days)
Internet radio during cooking/cleaning (paired with my Jawbone bluetooth speaker) (some)
Music creation/playing around with Garageband, Reaktable, etc (some)
Remote desktop management (when needed)
Sports stats while watching football, etc (more often than not)
Code snippits, rough document ideas, outlines, etc (when ideas pop up and I'm away)
Artwork (for play occasionally, I'm a terrible artist)
viewing photos during family gatherings
Supplemental material while watching Blu-Rays (when supported)

that's just what comes to mind at the moment. I pretty much carry my iPad around with me all the time. It's useful in meetings at work, through most of my random daily tasks, and is great to consume media. The only thing I've purchased in the last few years that competes with it for usefulness is my smart phone.

FYI, the new Kindle Lighted Case recently finally got a ship date for me. It's saying it will be delivered between December 14, 2011 and December 16, 2011.

Anyone tried streaming tv shows from like CBS for example? CSI or something? I decided on a Kindle since a lot of those players use flash. Anyone else with volume concerns on streaming netflix/tv shows?

FWIW Kindle Keyboard with 3G + Special Features is 89.99 this week at Best Buy. Picked one up and IMO it's superior to the $79 Kindle in every way.

[quote name='jeebert']Anyone tried streaming tv shows from like CBS for example? CSI or something? I decided on a Kindle since a lot of those players use flash. Anyone else with volume concerns on streaming netflix/tv shows?[/QUOTE]

Don't do netflix. But I did stream amazing race on CBS, and also NCIS. Booth looked just fine to me. It was pixelized now and then, but nothing that wold not let me enjoy catching up on some missed tv.

I did also stream numbers TV from amazon prime streaming and the great wonders of the natural world. Both looked great.

holy crap...this thing is heavy. it looks and feels great but, man. it's weight as much as a ibm thinkpad but 1/3 the size.

Tried the Fire at Best Buy and it just felt odd in my hand. I don't know what it is specifically but it wasn't comfortable to hold but I didn't have any problems with the weight. The lack of physical buttons baffles me, especially volume keys. I also tried the nook and that was better in my hand and the home button made navigating around much more intuitive. I have a TouchPad but I I had to go for one I would go with the book right now.

bread's done
Back