Kindle Fire 7" Tablet Now Shipping $199 - New Kindles From $79 - Reviews are out

I would trade mine for an iPad nano in a heartbeat

I would be shocked if Apple didnt release a $300 tablet similar to these 7" tablets on the market

I plan of buying two Kindle Fire one for myself and the other will be Christmas gift but I got a quick question first, can content (movies, books, etc.) be shared across the two kindles if they are registered on the same Amazon account

[quote name='LazyTriangle']I plan of buying two Kindle Fire one for myself and the other will be Christmas gift but I got a quick question first, can content (movies, books, etc.) be shared across the two kindles if they are registered on the same Amazon account[/QUOTE]

Yes. I was able to download a book I originally bought for my wife's Kindle when I got mine in. It links to your account and you can pull it off the cloud.

[quote name='OGHowie']Not a bad device but web browsing sucks. This thing just makes me wish there was a 7-8" iPad.[/QUOTE]

I use the web browsing all the time... it's fine. Flash sites work. Speed is pretty good too. I really haven't had any issues with it.

[quote name='LazyTriangle']I plan of buying two Kindle Fire one for myself and the other will be Christmas gift but I got a quick question first, can content (movies, books, etc.) be shared across the two kindles if they are registered on the same Amazon account[/QUOTE]

Books, apps, music, etc. can all be shared as long as the devices are on the same account!

anyone figure out how to access the amazon cloud drive for other than music? trying to access the pdfs I manually uploaded but it wont' let me download them even via the browser.

Have an iPad 2 but would like to have something where I can use my prime subscription to the max. I'll probably bite on a used one

yes except for video streaming which is only for the "main" prime subscription holder

I have a question about the charging lights:

When It's in sleep mode and I charge it the power light stays up, but when I power it off and charge it the light doesn't come on but it charges, is that normal?

I bought The Muffin Knight App when it was the free app of the day. I didn't get a chance to install it that day. It shows up on the website on Manage My kindle, but it doesn't show up on the Kindle itself. How do i push the app from the website to the kindle at this point

[quote name='JCoyne1031']I bought The Muffin Knight App when it was the free app of the day. I didn't get a chance to install it that day. It shows up on the website on Manage My kindle, but it doesn't show up on the Kindle itself. How do i push the app from the website to the kindle at this point[/QUOTE]

Hit the apps tab. Make sure that cloud is highlights. Hold down on the item you want, you should see install as an option.

I'm about 2 clicks away from adding the Fire to my Amazon cart. I was holding out to see reviews on the new Nook color. I'm still a bit uncertain, but I feel that going with the Fire will be the right choice. It's going to be for my wife.

[quote name='EvilIA']Hit the apps tab. Make sure that cloud is highlights. Hold down on the item you want, you should see install as an option.[/QUOTE]

The icon doesn't show up in the kindle itself. The app does show up in manage my apps on the webpage though

[quote name='JCoyne1031']The icon doesn't show up in the kindle itself. The app does show up in manage my apps on the webpage though[/QUOTE]

Try pressing the sync button in the top bar of the kindle interface.

[quote name='krashhole']I'm about 2 clicks away from adding the Fire to my Amazon cart. I was holding out to see reviews on the new Nook color. I'm still a bit uncertain, but I feel that going with the Fire will be the right choice. It's going to be for my wife.[/QUOTE]

The fire will be much better than the nook color, however, the consensus is that the new nook tablet is better than the fire.

[quote name='Brownjohn']The fire will be much better than the nook color, however, the consensus is that the new nook tablet is better than the fire.[/QUOTE]

He was obviously talking about the nook tablet

[quote name='Brownjohn']The fire will be much better than the nook color, however, the consensus is that the new nook tablet is better than the fire.[/QUOTE]

The Nook Tablet and Kindle Fire are similar processor-wise (same processor). The Nook Tablet does get the edge as it has double the ram (1 GB vs. 512 MB), more local storage, and a microSD slot for expansion.

Which one looks better is a matter of taste... IMHO, the simple black design of the Fire is nicer. Also, the Fire's interface seems a bit cleaner (though, granted, I've only played with a Nook Tablet briefly).

[quote name='JCoyne1031']I bought The Muffin Knight App when it was the free app of the day. I didn't get a chance to install it that day. It shows up on the website on Manage My kindle, but it doesn't show up on the Kindle itself. How do i push the app from the website to the kindle at this point[/QUOTE]On the home screen, tap "Apps", then "Store", then the menu button at the bottom center of the screen. All the Apps you click to buy on the Amazon website will show up under "My Apps" with a little notification.

This isn't exactly Fire related, but the Amazon app store is one of the worst apps Ive used. Not so much for its interface, but the fact that it is constantly checking for updates and killing the battery life of my phone and tablet. It also gives notifications every time there's an update, and adds a new icon to the notification bar each time. It's super annoying and I don't see any settings to disable them checking for updates.

And worse, if I delete the store I can't even access some (if not all) of the installed apps I got through them anymore. I deleted the store app then tried to play Cut the Rope but it wouldn't let be because the store app was uninstalled. Terrible. I'd rather pay for the app through Google Marketplace than deal with that kind of invasive BS.

It worked . Thank you!!!!!! A friend of mine at work was playing it yesterday at work and I was disappointed that i wasn't going to get to play. Now i'm happy!!

[quote name='BigT']Try pressing the sync button in the top bar of the kindle interface.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely. The Amazon app lasted about 3 days on my phone before I couldn't stand it anymore. The games aren't really "free" when you have to put up with junk like that.

[quote name='ssjmichael']This isn't exactly Fire related, but the Amazon app store is one of the worst apps Ive used. Not so much for its interface, but the fact that it is constantly checking for updates and killing the battery life of my phone and tablet. It also gives notifications every time there's an update, and adds a new icon to the notification bar each time. It's super annoying and I don't see any settings to disable them checking for updates.

And worse, if I delete the store I can't even access some (if not all) of the installed apps I got through them anymore. I deleted the store app then tried to play Cut the Rope but it wouldn't let be because the store app was uninstalled. Terrible. I'd rather pay for the app through Google Marketplace than deal with that kind of invasive BS.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ssjmichael']This isn't exactly Fire related, but the Amazon app store is one of the worst apps Ive used. Not so much for its interface, but the fact that it is constantly checking for updates and killing the battery life of my phone and tablet. It also gives notifications every time there's an update, and adds a new icon to the notification bar each time. It's super annoying and I don't see any settings to disable them checking for updates.

And worse, if I delete the store I can't even access some (if not all) of the installed apps I got through them anymore. I deleted the store app then tried to play Cut the Rope but it wouldn't let be because the store app was uninstalled. Terrible. I'd rather pay for the app through Google Marketplace than deal with that kind of invasive BS.[/QUOTE]

Which tablet do you have? I have it installed on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1-4G & I'm starting to notice my battery's draining quicker recently yet I haven't installed anything new besides updates.

[quote name='Old Negus']I agree completely. The Amazon app lasted about 3 days on my phone before I couldn't stand it anymore. The games aren't really "free" when you have to put up with junk like that.[/QUOTE]

+1 for the battery issues related to the app store. phone: htc sensation

[quote name='Nucking Futs!']Which tablet do you have? I have it installed on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1-4G & I'm starting to notice my battery's draining quicker recently yet I haven't installed anything new besides updates.[/QUOTE]

I have an Archos 70, which is probably ancient compared to the tab, lol. It came with a System Monitor app built-in and since I've had the Amazon app store I'd notice that it'd constantly go on to check for updates, and closing it doesn't do much as it goes back on soon after. After deleting the store app, my battery isn't draining nearly as bad now. I didn't delete it from my phone until recently as that's where I played Cut the Rope (my fav. mobile game) but the constant updates and everything just got to me and I deleted it. As I said, I'd rather just pay .99 and get Cut the Rope (and other apps I got for free from amz) from the Google Marketplace, at least there I can turn off auto-updates, background data, syncing, and such.

The Amazon app store's interface has improved since it first launched, so I do hope they keep improving it and come out with settings that can disable the checking for updates and such. I also wouldn't mind an option to remove apps I "bought" (i.e. got for free) from my list. The list is long but I don't care for many of them now and I'd just like to remove them from my library. You can do that with a Kindle and ebooks, so maybe one day they can do it for apps too.

[quote name='Nucking Futs!']Which tablet do you have? I have it installed on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1-4G & I'm starting to notice my battery's draining quicker recently yet I haven't installed anything new besides updates.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm it drains battery quickly on the galaxy tab 10.1 wi-fi version. Its not worth it IMO. Whenever I see one of these free apps I just go lalala and look away.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I have an Archos 70, which is probably ancient compared to the tab, lol. It came with a System Monitor app built-in and since I've had the Amazon app store I'd notice that it'd constantly go on to check for updates, and closing it doesn't do much as it goes back on soon after. After deleting the store app, my battery isn't draining nearly as bad now. I didn't delete it from my phone until recently as that's where I played Cut the Rope (my fav. mobile game) but the constant updates and everything just got to me and I deleted it. As I said, I'd rather just pay .99 and get Cut the Rope (and other apps I got for free from amz) from the Google Marketplace, at least there I can turn off auto-updates, background data, syncing, and such.

The Amazon app store's interface has improved since it first launched, so I do hope they keep improving it and come out with settings that can disable the checking for updates and such. I also wouldn't mind an option to remove apps I "bought" (i.e. got for free) from my list. The list is long but I don't care for many of them now and I'd just like to remove them from my library. You can do that with a Kindle and ebooks, so maybe one day they can do it for apps too.[/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks for the info!

[quote name='KtMack23']I can confirm it drains battery quickly on the galaxy tab 10.1 wi-fi version. Its not worth it IMO. Whenever I see one of these free apps I just go lalala and look away.[/QUOTE]

Damn it!!! I knew it wasn't my imagination! My fiancee came to visit me for 6-days & she brought her iPad 2...She barely used it & had 40% battery remaining when my Tab drained completely, haha! Keep in mind these 2 tablets have roughly the same battery life too. Engadget got 10.5-hours (iPad 2) & 10-hours (Tab 10.1) with their battery draining video loop test with the screen set at 65% brightness.

I had no idea Amazon's app store was such a battery drainer. I haven't really noticed anything on my Asus Transformer. I'm still unsure about whether I want to keep this tablet. There's nothing wrong with the tablet, it's just...do I really need a tablet?

[quote name='VindictiveGnome']I had no idea Amazon's app store was such a battery drainer. I haven't really noticed anything on my Asus Transformer. I'm still unsure about whether I want to keep this tablet. There's nothing wrong with the tablet, it's just...do I really need a tablet?[/QUOTE]

I love mine! I use it when I'm on-site or at Starbucks, in addition to browsing the net & checking my email in my man cave & in bed...or when I'm on the can, haha!

After messing around with the Kindle Fire at Sams today, I went ahead and picked one up. One thing I am curious about is while I was messing with the one in the store, I was trying to watch videos on youtube and none of them would work. The guy there said it's because it won't play flash videos but will play AVI vids fine. Anyone else have this issue, or is what he said true? I was able to go on IMDB and watch several trailers without any issues.

[quote name='krashhole']After messing around with the Kindle Fire at Sams today, I went ahead and picked one up. One thing I am curious about is while I was messing with the one in the store, I was trying to watch videos on youtube and none of them would work. The guy there said it's because it won't play flash videos but will play AVI vids fine. Anyone else have this issue, or is what he said true? I was able to go on IMDB and watch several trailers without any issues.[/QUOTE]

Youtube videos work fine for me on the Fire.

Anyone know if its possible to pay less than 199.99 for it? I see that these are available in retail stores and wanted to know if there is any kind of deal on the kindle fire.

[quote name='tigernut']Youtube videos work fine for me on the Fire.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they didn't have something set right? I know I tried at least 11 different vids and none would work.

[quote name='krashhole']Maybe they didn't have something set right? I know I tried at least 11 different vids and none would work.[/QUOTE]

Are you using the Youtube app or going through a web browser? The app doesn't use Flash but accessing it from a browser does. There's also a way you can log into your Youtube account settings and opt in to using HTML5 instead of Flash when you watch Youtube via a browser, however I'm not sure if it works for all videos. Previously I remember ones with ads in them still needed Flash but I don't know if that is still the case.

At any rate, I think the Fire supports Flash but I don't own one personally and can't seem to find a clear answer on that doing a Google search; conflicting answers are coming up.

The Flash app is not in the Amazon Market, but it's in the Google one, which of course the Fire is locked out of by default. You should, in theory, be able to sideload the Flash apk though if you can find a download url for one via a search.

I can't decide between one of these or a Sony tablet. My discount allows me to get the Sony tablet for approximately $350. Is the additional $150 worth it? I'm quite the tablet virgin.

I was using the browser to go to Youtube. I haven't taken my wifes out of the box and I probably won't because it's her gift. Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I will figure it out come Christmas morning.

What kind of battery life are you guys getting? Are there any certain apps or anything I should download? And of course, any tips or suggestions you guys have will help a lot!

[quote name='DoubleJG']I can't decide between one of these or a Sony tablet. My discount allows me to get the Sony tablet for approximately $350. Is the additional $150 worth it? I'm quite the tablet virgin.[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to the 9.4" Sony S tablet? If so, then I recommend going w/the Sony for the extra $150 but that's just me & the fact that a 7" screen's too small for me regardless of the Nook Tablet or Fire. You should try out both sizes extensively if possible before committing (borrow a friends tablet pc or something). I had the 7" Nook Color (I hacked/rooted it to use CM7 aka a modified Android Gingerbread OS) & while it was great for reading & checking email, every time I was watching a video and/or browsing the net, I just couldn't get over the screen size. But then again, some people are willing to sacriface screen real estate for more portability & you just have to decide which type you are. Then decide which of the 7" tablets you want if you go that route.

bread's done
Back