Kinect costs about $54 to make

Don't forget the other costs associated with that. There's marketing, R&D, labor,etc. So they would still need to sell a bunch of units just to break even.

Don't forget the other costs associated with that. There's marketing, R&D, labor,etc. So they would still need to sell a bunch of units just to break even.

I hear you there, but take into consideration that they chose to spend a half billion dollars in marketing. I have a feeling they are either going to get plenty on their returns or end up lowering that price sooner than later.

And 54 minutes to start regretting your purchase? :)

Concept looks good, and I need to give it a try. But somehow I see this as one of those peripherals that you find fallen behind the tv cabinet years later covered in dust.

Maybe the games will get better, but so far all I've heard about are gimmick games.

What it costs to make doesn't really matter in how much a business charges for an item. How much does a peice of Art cost to make?

What about Diamonds? Those are "free" since the earth made them. You have to consider how much work went from making it from an idea to putting it on the shelf at best buy. That's how much it cost to make.

Someone also posted this on the 360 boards, and as someone said earlier, the cost of the materials that go into the unit does equate to the cost of the unit or its value. They came up with the idea, designed the unit, built it, and tested it. All of that costs a lot of money in terms of manpower.

At the same time you never had to pay for R&D or marketing for your Xbox 360. Like most hardware, they will expect to make money back when you buy games. So it is a ripped off, but no worst then MS overcharging rechargeable batteries or harddrive.

Poke my bumhole sideaways... thats about 30 quid over here !!?? they charge £130 (ish) in the UK bundled with a crap game no-one wants. £130 !!! according to google $205 dollars. not a bad mark-up

they could have put the half billion of advertising money into R&D for xbox 720.... so it'll actually work lol

bread's done
Back