Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (7/31 US, 7/20 EU)

Axersia

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So anyone else excited about this game? The Japanese version came out last week and I received my own copy 2 days ago. I'm only 10 hours in because I had a sticky R button problem that I decided to remedy by buying a Circle Pad Pro, and I suspended my playthrough in the meantime. I've had a great time with it so far though. It's a home console-style KH game just like KH1, 2 and BBS, and definitely worth a purchase if you're a fan or perhaps even a newcomer desperately wanting something to play on their 3DS. It's probably gonna take at least another 3-4 months for a US/EU release if Square Enix France's release date leak is any indication, though.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions regarding the game, feel free to ask.

English trailers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocPs3aSaCcI

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally wish they would just release a KH III on PS3, but I like the storyline for this portable spinoff much more than those of 358/2 Days and RE:Coded.

Still need to beat all three portable games though (I have finished Chain of Memories).

Oh man, so you haven't played BBS yet? That's pretty much the best game in the series as far as I'm concerned. I mean, KH2 is my favorite game of all time and no other KH game is ever gonna top it I think, but I'd say BBS is the overall better game. It's too bad they never released it on PSN because now there's no way to play it on Vita.

And yeah, they really need to start development on KH3 but that just isn't gonna happen until they release Versus XIII. At this rate it's gonna have to skip a generation what with all these rumors about the PS3 and 360's successors as of late. Hopefully that doesn't mean it'll have the same disastrous development cycle as FF13 and Versus though.

Anyway, I'm currently 26 hours into KH3D and I'm pretty much at the end. Haven't made much progress for the past 3 hours though because I spent like 1 hour on Riku's final bosses and giving up, and 2 hours grinding. *sigh* And to think I was actually disappointed they didn't have Critical Mode selectable at the onset. Turns out you actually unlock it by beating Proud and it serves as a bit of a New Game+, Either way, Proud is plenty hard already.

I own Birth By Sleep, and I've even played a good 10 hours of the one storyline. I intend to get back at it this summer.

The 3DS title is only 26 hours long? I may wait for a price drop knowing that... That is way too short for dropping $40 right away.

[quote name='mweav067']I own Birth By Sleep, and I've even played a good 10 hours of the one storyline. I intend to get back at it this summer.

The 3DS title is only 26 hours long? I may wait for a price drop knowing that... That is way too short for dropping $40 right away.[/QUOTE]

Not sure how long you typically take to beat a KH game, but I spent like 29 hours on KH2, 27 hours on Re:CoM, and 35 hours on Birth by Sleep but only because I spent a lot of time grinding and synthesizing new commands. Generally speaking, all KH games can be beaten in 25 hours or less if you just stick to the main story -- this game is no different. And let's not forget I still haven't tried out the coliseum in Traverse Town, nor have I fought any of the secret bosses (which are probably post-game content).

EDIT: So I finally beat the game, and what a crazy last couple of hours those were. The part that I thought was the ending turned out to not be the ending, and then the game managed to fool me a second time. Anyway, the reveals at the end are incredible. This is an absolute must play if you've been following the series. I ended up clocking in at 29:17 hours -- right up there with the series average.

[quote name='clay_bones']I have never played a KH game. Is this a good game to start on? Where does one begin?[/QUOTE]

Ideally one begins at the beginning and proceeds through the series in order of release, but KH1 is a decade old at this point and the gameplay is pretty clunky and bare-bones. Not sure how fun it'd be for someone who doesn't have some nostalgia for the game.

As for KH3D being a good place to start... it depends. The overall storyline is actually pretty far removed from the main quest, which is just 2 kids going through a bunch of Disney worlds. Occasionally you're treated to a cutscene where you won't have any clue what's going on, but those cutscenes aren't as frequent as the Disney cutscenes (that is, until the final world, where the game starts laying the plot on you pretty heavily).

The game also has this memoir system. After certain events throughout the game, you unlock a plot synopsis for one of the other games in the series (in chronological order I believe, so Birth by Sleep comes first, and afterwards they just follow the order of release). Not sure why they couldn't just unlock those for you from the get-go, but hey, at least they tried to make the game more accessible to newcomers.

I'd say it's a pretty decent standalone game if you're just looking for a good hack 'n' slash RPG experience for your 3DS, but it's kind of a weird jumping off point if you wanna get into the series as a whole. I really would recommend you start with KH1 or KH2 in that case. Birth by Sleep works as well because it's set 10 years before the first game, but eventually you're gonna need to know what happened in KH1 and KH2.

If you just want the "KH crash course", I say play through KH2 and Birth by Sleep, and you're pretty much set for KH3D and any other potential sequels. Whatever knowledge you're missing will fill itself in over time, or you could do some reading on the KH wikia. I just think KH2 and BBS are way too good to spoil them.

Oh, and here's the KH timeline so you have a better idea how these games all connect:

Keyblade War (as of yet we don't have a game covering these events)
Many, many years pass
Birth by Sleep
10 years pass
Kingdom Hearts I -- KH 358/2 Days starts about 2/3rds of the way through
Chain of Memories -- KH 358/2 Days continues
Kingdom Hearts II
Re:coded
Dream Drop Distance

Last edited by a moderator:
So, it's about 29 hours before any sidequesting?

I'm one of those 100% completion people, so KH I and KH II took me quite a while.

Yep, there's still plenty of stuff to do. I *finally* got around to trying out the coliseum in Traverse Town, which is a minigame called Flick Rush that uses your synthesized monsters. It's a bit of a combination between the card dueling in Final Fantasy Fables Chocobo Tales, and the Chain of Memories battle system. That is to say, you can cycle between your 3 party members, and you flick numbered cards to the top screen where your monsters battle in a rock-paper-scissors like fashion.

Speaking of monster synthesis -- if you're a completionist, that aspect alone is probably gonna eat up a lot of your time as you're gonna have to grind for ingredients. Even if you don't care too much about the monsters themselves, it's still a good idea to synthesize a few new ones every now and then as their skilltrees award you with new abilities and commands. If you're planning on tackling Critical Mode, you'll probably want to synthesize every monster in the game as you'll be able to carry them over if you so desire -- albeit at level 1.

If you're a completionist you're also gonna have to get A-ranks (perhaps even S-ranks, I dunno) on the Dive sequences (the Gummi Ship replacement), but even if you don't care about completion there's still incentive to get an A-rank as doing so rewards you with new commands. Unfortunately I never knew that on my first playthrough as I only ever got B-ranks or lower, but hey, now *you* know.

Aside from the secret boss(es?), another thing you can do in the post-game is fight more powerful versions of nearly all of the game's bosses through secret portals scattered across the worlds. I never made much use of the portal system on my initial playthrough, but some of them give you a guest party, while others make you fight powerful enemies and require you to meet certain conditions for rewards.

Of course, there's still treasure chests as well, and this game seems to have more treasure than any other game in the series. Not sure if there are any rewards tied to opening all of them, but if you're a completionist you'll want that percentage counter to reach 100 for every world.

I'm sure there's still some stuff I'm forgetting because I'm not a completionist myself, but regardless, there's plenty of optional content to keep you busy.

Just got a 3DS awhile ago Can't wait to get this, but should I play the other DS KH games to catch up? (haven't played a KH game since 2)

[quote name='DarkMinded']Just got a 3DS awhile ago Can't wait to get this, but should I play the other DS KH games to catch up? (haven't played a KH game since 2)[/QUOTE]

Well the DS games really aren't necessary. Birth by Sleep on PSP on the other hand... KH3D definitely has ties to that game. BBS gave us a bit of backstory on the true antagonist of the series, and KH3D expands on that even further. It's not the end of the world if you have to skip it, but if you own a PSP I really would recommend you play it first.

Some guy posted on gamefaqs saying gamestop is offering a collectors edition of this game for the same price as the regular edition ($40). I doubt it is a collectors edition, maybe a gamestop exclusive pre-order bonus yet to be revealed by square enix... Well nothing is showing up on the gamestop website about this but the original poster did say he found out about it from a gamestop employee who searched it up on the in store computer. Maybe a CAG that works at gamestop can confirm if this is true.

[quote name='htz']Some guy posted on gamefaqs saying gamestop is offering a collectors edition of this game for the same price as the regular edition ($40). I doubt it is a collectors edition, maybe a gamestop exclusive pre-order bonus yet to be revealed by square enix... Well nothing is showing up on the gamestop website about this but the original poster did say he found out about it from a gamestop employee who searched it up on the in store computer. Maybe a CAG that works at gamestop can confirm if this is true.[/QUOTE]

Why does everything I want to buy on day 1 have to come from Gamestop?

[quote name='htz']Some guy posted on gamefaqs saying gamestop is offering a collectors edition of this game for the same price as the regular edition ($40). I doubt it is a collectors edition, maybe a gamestop exclusive pre-order bonus yet to be revealed by square enix... Well nothing is showing up on the gamestop website about this but the original poster did say he found out about it from a gamestop employee who searched it up on the in store computer. Maybe a CAG that works at gamestop can confirm if this is true.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I wouldn't get your hopes up. I mean, my Japanese copy of the game is considered a "first-print limited edition" because it comes with some AR cards that the regular version doesn't have. and I would expect the US release to have a similar promotion.

On the other hand, they have been releasing "collector's editions" of PSP games for a while now in Europe. Dissidia 012 Legacy Edition, Birth by Sleep Limited Edition, Lord of Arcana Slayer Edition. etc., etc.

All you really got though was a cardboard box, an art book, and some lithographs. Hardly worthy of being called a "collector's edition", but I believe you didn't have to pay extra if you pre-ordered the game in advance, and in some cases there weren't any other editions released at all.

So there could be some truth to this guy's story, but if it's really only 40 dollars, don't expect much more than a bunch of paper.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']Why does everything I want to buy on day 1 have to come from Gamestop?[/QUOTE]
Because Gamestop's marketing department has properly done their job?

Well, the collector's edition just got confirmed today and it's almost exactly what I expected it to be:

120515_KH3D_MarkofMastery_Beauty_small-thumb-600x594-1809.jpg

It's gonna cost 55 dollars, and you get a fancy box, a bunch of lithographs, some AR cards, and the only thing that's actually worth the extra money IMO, a transparent shell for your 3DS. So far it's only been confirmed for the US.

In other news, they also released the first English trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocPs3aSaCcI

The case looks like a clear case. I'm still hoping for a special Kingdom Hearts 3DS to be announced.

Same here. Been sending messages daily to SQEX's twitter handlers for the Members section and Kingdom Hearts section. Still not a single response.

[quote name='htz']The case looks like a clear case. I'm still hoping for a special Kingdom Hearts 3DS to be announced.[/QUOTE]

It's actually a shell consisting of two parts that you snap onto your 3DS, and yes, it's transparent.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']Same here. Been sending messages daily to SQEX's twitter handlers for the Members section and Kingdom Hearts section. Still not a single response.[/QUOTE]

That'd be cool, but when was the last time Nintendo released a non-Nintendo branded special edition console in the west? That's right, never. You might get the occasional Zelda or Mario-branded handheld, but that's it.

It's the same with Sony. In Japan every Square Enix game gets its own handheld and sometimes even home console, but in the west we're stuck with a Kratos PSP.

[quote name='Axersia']It's actually a shell consisting of two parts that you snap onto your 3DS, and yes, it's transparent.

That'd be cool, but when was the last time Nintendo released a non-Nintendo branded special edition console in the west? That's right, never. You might get the occasional Zelda or Mario-branded handheld, but that's it.

It's the same with Sony. In Japan every Square Enix game gets its own handheld and sometimes even home console, but in the west we're stuck with a Kratos PSP.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I think you are right. Most of the special edition Nintendo DS Lites we got were Nintendo IPs. :fridge:

bread's done
Back