Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning for $15 at Fry's

Bc4768

CAGiversary!
Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DarthVicious82']This game is well worth $15. I paid $10 for it at Best Buy this summer and have enjoyed it immensely.[/QUOTE]

That's how I got my copy as well. I think with the @Gamer magazine coupon too

I've yet to play my backlogged copy but from what I've read, to get the most fun out of the game just do the main story quests only.

Thanks for the post OP.

I'm playing through it right now and am really enjoying it. Kind of reminds me of Fable. Got it at Best Buy for $10 but haven't seen it for that price since.

Very good game, bought mine from Gamefly during the Black Friday $12 off sale.

Really enjoyed the demo and was going to buy it back in February, but the release date was too close to Mass Effect 3 for me.
(Always found it hard to get back into some massive RPGs when taking a break to play something else)

I know that this thread is already filling with praise for the game, but I'd like to add a +1 to that. I tried out the demo when they were offering a free ME3 weapon DLC for playing it, and found myself really enjoying a game i didn't even know existed until that promotion. I'd agree with jsively in that it plays most similar to Fable, though the combat system is a fair bit deeper than Fable's.

The world is pretty damn big, and there's sidequests at every turn. It's pretty much an offline MMO in that regard, in that people in every town want you to kill x creatures at y, or bring back w items of type z. It's awfully easy to get lost in said sidequests and forget the main plotline even exists.

Anyway, it's a pretty damn great game and I would highly recommend it at $15. The rather vast world + abundance of sidequests does offer an awful lot of content, let alone some great graphics and rather solid gameplay + mechanics.

[quote name='KrizB']
(Always found it hard to get back into some massive RPGs when taking a break to play something else)[/QUOTE]

Yes this is what i kind ofhate.

Great deal. This was my Game of the Year and came out of no where (ultimate sleeper hit...too bad the company went bankrupt), which was supposed to go instead to Mass Effect 3.

For someone that disliked the Fable series because of how jokingly unchallenging it was, I this game a significant improvement from it? $15 is a pretty good price point.

the game feels a lot like fable, but the world is much, much more open, with lots of side quests. there are different factions that have their own quest lines, like the guild quests in skyrim. and it has a loot system sort of like WoW or borderlands.
there are also a lot of dungeons you never have to set foot in unless you want too. over all one of the best games I ever played and definitely the best game of 2012.
my only complaints are
A story is bad
B the combat is amazing at first, but it gets old since the game is so long, it needed a bunch more combos I tried to do everything, I don't recommend this, there is simply to much and you will do to much and not even get to the 3rd region.
C enemies are reused throughout the game, with a different color and stats usually

if you like RPGs and don't have this get it now.

[quote name='Naramie']For someone that disliked the Fable series because of how jokingly unchallenging it was, I this game a significant improvement from it? $15 is a pretty good price point.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, even at the hardest difficulty level, the game becomes pretty trivial early on. If you are the type of player that shoots right through a game from point A to point B, the challenge may remain. For those who like to explore and do everything, you quickly outgear/outlevel the content. The zones are level-locked to your character when you enter it permanently, and each has min/max possible levels. It's easy to end up fighting gray-con (trivial level) enemies if you don't plan ahead. There are maps on the net that show you the level range for each zone, and the strategy guide is pretty useful, as it will show you the level range for every little cave and dungeon as well. Proper planning can keep enemies near your level.

The crafting system can also be easily abused to make your character godlike if that is your thing.

All that being said, those are really my weak points, and it is a huge game that I had a lot of fun with, and feel that I may go back to at some point.

bread's done
Back