Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (360/PS3) $44.99 at Toys R Us

[quote name='astr0boy']Anyone know the odds of this price falling shortly after launch?
I bought a few of my fall titles on launch day and got pretty burned when 60 cut to 30 like 4 weeks out.[/QUOTE]
Depends on how it sells. If it sells like crap, then yeah it will drop like a rock. If it sells well, expect no price drops.

For example Shadows of the Damned dropped quick with price drops, while Battlefield 3 held it's price fast (both EA published).

Really excited for this game. Sure it's kinda WoW and DA2 (but used to love WoW) blended together, but I want a RPG I can put hours into that isn't Skryrim. I mean I love Skyrim but when you become overpowered, the game becomes just do quests for story and I lost interest.

[quote name='astr0boy']Anyone know the odds of this price falling shortly after launch?
I bought a few of my fall titles on launch day and got pretty burned when 60 cut to 30 like 4 weeks out.[/QUOTE]

Price will drop. In 3 months, $30. Doubt this will sell that well.

Enjoyed the demo, but unfortunately, Skyrim.

Action similar in some respects to Dragon Age 2, graphics look early Xbox 360, not that awesome, with a comic-y look like Fable games.

I'm tired of quiet protagonists! I like the voice acting of your character in DA2 and Mass Effect.

Remember, free ME3 DLC just for playing! Play the demo!

Please, everyone buy this game...the devs work in my home state (RI), and we need the jobs like, really, really bad. Not to mention the $75 million in loan guarantees the state made to 38 Studios....if they go under, me and my fellow taxpayers are on the hook... :roll:

[quote name='TraBuch']Submitting the price to Amazon won't do anything. I don't recall them EVER matching one of these preorder prices from TRU or Newegg.[/QUOTE]I've only had an Amazon pricematch submission fail twice over the last 6 months. Of course, this depends on how many other people are submitting the same information. So why not help out?

Submitted to Amazon.

I think the only game that Amazon matched from Toys R Us was that Ace Combat game that came out last year and I believe Sonic Generations too. This game is indeed popular because EA is trying to hype it and I'm sure it's going to have a bigger fanbase thanks to making ME fans to download the demo just to get some content off it. I doubt Amazon will price match and this can go 50/50 if it sells well or not. There isn't that many "popular" games coming out until ME3 comes out in March. I'm still debating to get this or not. I played the demo, I thought it was just OKAY. I'm afraid that I'll get tired through the game and end up trading it without even finishing it. The game has potential but I don't know, I want to wait out on reviews to feel more confident if I should drop 49w/tax on this.

How hard is it to cancel a Toysrus preorder?

I'm planning on buying it just to support the developer on making a good game, but if say, Amazon, where to match this price, I'd cancel this TRU order. So how hard is it to cancel the preorder?

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Duke Nukem Forever was advertised on commercials as well and look how quickly that dropped. Shit game though..but still.[/QUOTE]

And that game dropped in price BECAUSE it was a shit game... Got horrid reviews in most cases and generally was shat on by the gaming community it was trying to sell to.

Every time I play through the demo of this game and try a new class/weapon/skill, I enjoy it more and get more excited for its release.

I think despite the inevitable flaws that a game of this size will have, this will be one of those games that clicks with me and holds my attention for a long time. This reminds me more of a cross between Fable and Darksiders than anything WoW or DA2 related.

And for any God of War fans, you owe it to yourself to give the chakram weapon a go (can get a cheap pair at the first town's inn).

[quote name='Rollett']And that game dropped in price BECAUSE it was a shit game... Got horrid reviews in most cases and generally was shat on by the gaming community it was trying to sell to.[/QUOTE]
Most of the sales for DNF at launch, I could imagine was people wanting to play DNF to say they did after the story it has behind it:lol:.

I mean being in development for over 10 years, and being canceled how many times or almost, I am sure a lot of the people already knew the game would suck, or at least not be of high quality.

That said KOA, seems pretty good. I mean sure it's not doing anything groundbreaking, but that's ok. Not every game has to push boundaries to the max as long as the game is good. I hope this game does get some sales because I want there to be more good Western RPG's out there.

[quote name='segasaturnsnk'] There isn't that many "popular" games coming out until ME3 comes out in March.[/QUOTE]

Nah, not that many. Just Final Fantasy XIII-2. Soul Calibur V, Asura's Wrath, The Darkness II, Twisted Metal, SSX, Resident Evil Revelations, Metal Gear 3DS, Syndicate, Inversion, and The Vita and all it's launch games just to name a few.

Actually of all those KoA: Reckoning is at the top of my wishlist and it wasn't even on my radar until a friend told me to play the demo on steam.(Which I played on my PS3, Xbox, and steam just to see how it was on all.) Then I saw Todd McFarlane post something about the demo on his Facebook. The campaigning should of started a bit earlier for this game instead of spending a ton of money on Super Bowl ads that will air 2 days before launch. Although maybe there has been commercials on TV for the game and I haven't seen them because I DVR everything I watch, except sports, just so I can skip the commercials.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Most of the sales for DNF at launch, I could imagine was people wanting to play DNF to say they did after the story it has behind it:lol:.

I mean being in development for over 10 years, and being canceled how many times or almost, I am sure a lot of the people already knew the game would suck, or at least not be of high quality.

That said KOA, seems pretty good. I mean sure it's not doing anything groundbreaking, but that's ok. Not every game has to push boundaries to the max as long as the game is good. I hope this game does get some sales because I want there to be more good Western RPG's out there.[/QUOTE]

This game reminds me of Dragon Age: Origins. And DA:O dropped in price to where I bought the PC version of the once-$60 game for less than $20 about six months later. If you're patient, I think waiting is always best because 1) no PC game should ever be $60 (not even at release) and 2) this is EA.

EA are the masters of the price drop. They do it with every game they have. I remember BF:BC2 being $8 during a Steam sale like three months after its release. Or Dead Space 2 at $20 less than six months after release. Or Bulletstorm selling for $12 in September after releasing in Feb.

History suggests any game EA releases in Feb will be $20 or less by September. And probably less time, given this game is an unknown franchise going against known contenders at a time when a bunch of known franchises are about to show up PLUS a new portable console launch and a new iPad release. It's just a busy time and it's going to be very easy for this game to get missed.

That's precisely why EA put it in Feb. They knew this would happen, but that's okay because they need to build up positive word of mouth for this release so the next one can be seen as a big thing.

[quote name='kraftwerks']I already pre ordered from Amazon since I liked their DLC better. I'd love to get an extra $15 off. Submitted.[/QUOTE]

Submitted too. :applause:

[quote name='Ja7Red']Nah, not that many. Just Final Fantasy XIII-2. Soul Calibur V, Asura's Wrath, The Darkness II, Twisted Metal, SSX, Resident Evil Revelations, Metal Gear 3DS, Syndicate, Inversion, and The Vita and all it's launch games just to name a few.

Actually of all those KoA: Reckoning is at the top of my wishlist and it wasn't even on my radar until a friend told me to play the demo on steam.(Which I played on my PS3, Xbox, and steam just to see how it was on all.) Then I saw Todd McFarlane post something about the demo on his Facebook. The campaigning should of started a bit earlier for this game instead of spending a ton of money on Super Bowl ads that will air 2 days before launch. Although maybe there has been commercials on TV for the game and I haven't seen them because I DVR everything I watch, except sports, just so I can skip the commercials.[/QUOTE]

Missing Farcry 3 on that list bud :p

I think I might like Amalur. They sure are pushing preorder goodies, but I want it on PC and don't want to deal with Origin so it looks like waiting six months for a $30 Steam sale for me

[quote name='Ja7Red']Nah, not that many. Just Final Fantasy XIII-2. Soul Calibur V, Asura's Wrath, The Darkness II, Twisted Metal, SSX, Resident Evil Revelations, Metal Gear 3DS, Syndicate, Inversion, and The Vita and all it's launch games just to name a few.

Actually of all those KoA: Reckoning is at the top of my wishlist and it wasn't even on my radar until a friend told me to play the demo on steam.(Which I played on my PS3, Xbox, and steam just to see how it was on all.) Then I saw Todd McFarlane post something about the demo on his Facebook. The campaigning should of started a bit earlier for this game instead of spending a ton of money on Super Bowl ads that will air 2 days before launch. Although maybe there has been commercials on TV for the game and I haven't seen them because I DVR everything I watch, except sports, just so I can skip the commercials.[/QUOTE]

I dunno... that's a lot of reboots, remakes and sequels to mediocre entries in long running series. In other words the typical winter release schedule. Asura's Wrath is the only original game on that list, and based on that game's demo (which was dreadful) Amalur is standing out as one of very few appealing games. I do hope ssx is cool, anyway.

Demo was good. I like hack and slash games and there is a good variety of RPG elements. But nothing really innovative so I'll wait for a sub $30 price.

Submitted a lower price. Not sure if I wanna get this at release but chances are better at 45 dollars from amazon since i have that much in credit. At the very least it may help all of you out.

So tempted to get this because my price point was $40. But what's another five bucks? Thinking about SSX too.

I just have a feeling this games price will drop quickly.

Submitted to Amazon. I'd really like to see them match or at least offer a credit. I'm not a fan of ordering from TRU, and I'd love to get the free release date shipping as a Prime member in addition to a discounted price. It seems so odd to me that they are not offering at least the same credit on this that they're offering on ME3.

Yeah, if Amazon offered a comparable credit, I'd probably preorder with them. The delay in shipping I've heard from TRU pre-orders is what is holding me off.

[quote name='Foladar']Yeah, if Amazon offered a comparable credit, I'd probably preorder with them. The delay in shipping I've heard from TRU pre-orders is what is holding me off.[/QUOTE]
Just pick it up in-store and return your online order when you get it.

[quote name='Donut2922']Just pick it up in-store and return your online order when you get it.[/QUOTE]

That's actually a brilliant idea. I might end up doing that if Amazon or any other place doesn't match this price.

[quote name='joemoemino']That's actually a brilliant idea. I might end up doing that if Amazon or any other place doesn't match this price.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I didn't come up with it as it was a tip I picked up from other members on this site when I first joined.

Just keep in mind that when you return your in-store order that they will only refund you your original purchase price less the gift card offer.

Apparently this single player only game has an online pass. There are 7 quests that need to be unlocked in order to play them. Thus begins the slippery slope of "online pass" locking you out of content that should be included on disc. I think I'll pass on this game.

Source

[quote name='TylerDurden313']Apparently this single player only game has an online pass. There are 7 quests that need to be unlocked in order to play them. Thus begins the slippery slope of "online pass" locking you out of content that should be included on disc. I think I'll pass on this game.

Source[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I'm glad I didn't preorder then. Let the price come down lower I say if they pull this.

[quote name='TylerDurden313']Apparently this single player only game has an online pass. There are 7 quests that need to be unlocked in order to play them. Thus begins the slippery slope of "online pass" locking you out of content that should be included on disc. I think I'll pass on this game.

Source[/QUOTE]

fucking EA...

[quote name='TylerDurden313']Apparently this single player only game has an online pass. There are 7 quests that need to be unlocked in order to play them. Thus begins the slippery slope of "online pass" locking you out of content that should be included on disc. I think I'll pass on this game.[/QUOTE]

Can't say this begins it when Batman Arkham City did the same with the Catwoman content.

Guess I'm giving Amazon until the middle of next week or so to get a price match up or I'll be ordering it from TRU.

[quote name='KrzyHpnKricket']Can't say this begins it when Batman Arkham City did the same with the Catwoman content.[/QUOTE]

dont forget about Rage and the sewer sections

I posted and even tried a chat with Amazon.

They're really blowing it with games, and games are 90% of the reason I pay for prime, the other 10% being birthday/Christmas gifts

[quote name='breakingcustoms']dont forget about Rage and the sewer sections[/QUOTE]
Absolutely on both accounts. I was really looking forward to this game, but this is just such a turn off.

I see no problem with the DLC, I mean sure it locks you out of content if you buy used, but pubs see no money off a used game. So they have to do something to recuperate costs.

I love the idea of an "offline" pass. Pay for the game upfront just to get the disc - and then pay again to actually play the game. Great idea!

Source[/QUOTE]

Was on fence to pre-order, this settles it ... will wait for NEW to hit sub $25 as I do not want to be in the group that rewards these practices with release-time-near-100%-msrp.

Thankfully my backlog will keep the wait time from getting too boring.

I wish Amazon would match it, but they probably won't :( My bet is they'll match the TRU launch week price but only after all the pre-orders are shipped.. I know they've done it before.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I see no problem with the DLC, I mean sure it locks you out of content if you buy used, but pubs see no money off a used game. So they have to do something to recuperate costs.[/QUOTE]

I also don't have a problem with them doing this strategy to protect their investment by compelling you to buy new instead of used. I do have a problem that they still officially have yet to mention this even exists or that this is their new strategy for new games going forward. Consumers forget quickly, but one week before launch, we find out it needs a pass, it just feels like you've been lying to us about the game having everything from day one.

Either way, tax kinda kills it for me anyway. Came out to $48 shipped. Might as well wait for a price drop on Amazon or someone else for $40.

Thanks OP. After mulling this over for the last couple of days I figured may as well take advantage of this offer as it saves me money up front versus retailer credits that warrant having to spend more money in the future.

Yes, I do agree that "online passes" for offline single player games are bunk, but as pointed out by previous posters, Arkham City and Rage already did this (along with Mass Effect 2). Either look for preorder deals from Newegg or Toys'R'Us or just wait for the 6 month drop if you feel like it's a rip off.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I see no problem with the DLC, I mean sure it locks you out of content if you buy used, but pubs see no money off a used game. So they have to do something to recuperate costs.[/QUOTE]

It's because consumers are greedy (which got even worse after the App Store came to be). People don't truly understand the reasons publishers do these things because they aren't in the game industry. Same goes for DRM.

It's not fair that GameStop gets to make the full amount back on a used game when they made zero effort and put in zero resources to make the game itself. It's also not fair that people think that DRM is the bane of the universe when its the same people who made publishers resort to that kind of system (by pirating). I am an avid supporter of the Online Pass and DRM. If you want your game used or "free," be prepared to suffer the consequences of not supporting the company who made the game.

GameStop and Piraters truly can put game companies out of business because of what they do, so publishers have to do whatever they can to ensure they make the money off their games, not other people (or no one if you pirate).

That being said, I have zero interest in this game... Fantasy games are so overdone and are rarely pushed to new levels. I'll wait for the $20-30 range before considering this one.

bread's done
Back