King's Bounty: The Legend for free on Steam

odin08

CAGiversary!
For some bizarre reason, King's Bounty: The Legend is free right now on Steam. The only way I know how this works is if you go to your games list via your community page, scroll down and click on the game, and then scroll down a bit and click play now to start downloading.

EDIT: Updating the post to inform that the game won't stay on your games list if you delete it and you can just go to the store page to download it now.
Thanks for the info dancingcrab and curtst.

EDIT 2: It appears that Valve has finally fixed the error, hope you guys downloaded while you can.

EDIT 3: It also appears that even if you downloaded it and then attempt to launch the game, it will show a message saying this game is no longer free, and will link you to the store page for the game.

I also tried going offline to see if I could launch the game any differently and it disappeared from my game list. Went back online and is still absent from the list.

Tried launching the game from my common folder and was linked back to the store page for the game. I'm deleting the game from my system.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is truly bizarre. Sadly, it doesn't appear to be staying in my library when I delete it. However, I can go back to the store page and reinstall it...

[quote name='odin08']For some bizarre reason, King's Bounty: The Legend is free right now on Steam. The only way I know how this works is if you go to your games list via your community page, scroll down and click on the game, and then scroll down a bit and click play now to start downloading.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't find it that way. I just typed in the game in the search, clicked on, it said I already owned it, and clicked play it now.

dusty-shirt-i-love-free-shit-t-shirt.png

[quote name='rainking187']Damn, missed it.[/QUOTE]

Really I clicked on the page and it said I already owned it and it's letting me download it..If you want it you should re check it :)..Thanks for the heads up OP!

[quote name='rainking187']Damn, missed it.[/QUOTE]
Still up for me. Remember, you need to scroll to the green bar that says "Play Now" to get it for free. It will still try to charge you if you try and add it to your cart.

[quote name='Hestar']Really I clicked on the page and it said I already owned it and it's letting me download it..If you want it you should re check it :)..Thanks for the heads up OP![/QUOTE]

I clicked on it through the community page like mentioned in the OP and I don't see a "Play it Now" button, just an "Add to cart" button and it's priced at $14.99.

EDIT: Ok, I figured it out, I added it to my wishlist when Steam was giving away free games to people with wishlists, I deleted it from my wishlist and the "Play Now" button showed up. Does Steam have a track record with these types of things? I'd hate to have my Steam account banned or get charged $15 for this because I took advantage of the error.

So if I download this can I transfer it to my gaming PC by transferring the Steam folder or something?

My gaming rig is down right now but I'd hate to miss out on a free game.

edit: I'm d/ling right now so it's still up. I did a search for 'kings bounty' through the Steam client.

[quote name='rainking187']I clicked on it through the community page like mentioned in the OP and I don't see a "Play it Now" button, just an "Add to cart" button and it's priced at $14.99.[/QUOTE]

have you tried typing in kings bounty in search and it should say play now on the middle and download..least it did for me and hopefully for you :)

is this game even worth your time downloading? lol it is not like they are giving out free Starcraft 2 or something like that.. lol

"This game is no longer available for free"

Had it fully downloaded and when I hit play that popped up. Now I'd have to purchase it..

oh well..

[quote name='agentghost']is this game even worth your time downloading? lol it is not like they are giving out free Starcraft 2 or something like that.. lol[/QUOTE]

It's a free game. And yes its a good game. If you'd like a free game download it. No reason to complain over something that only requires a few clicks. Sorry they aren't handing you some triple A title to you on a silver platter.

I have it fully downloaded but when I got to play it, it takes me to the store page for purchase. So looks like they got the system fixed.

bread's done
Back