Kino DVDs - 50% off MSRP at DDD

modium

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Linkage

Although I saw this myself at the DDD site, I went over to DVDtalk and saw animatedude already posted it there, so he gets a shout-out for like-minded thinking. :lol:

Yes, I know most people couldn't care less about Kino's selection of silent/foreign films, but there are a few people I can think of who do.

Dead or Alive Trilogy
- for you Miike fanboys
Wong Kar-Wai Collection - for you other asiaphiles
The Mirror - the greatest fucking movie you'll ever see
The Sacrifice - Tarkovsky's final film, incredible as you'd expect, and the DVD has an extra documentary on the Master himself
Fritz Lang Epic Collection - I know we have some Lang fans here. If you're cheap, you can just spring for Metropolis on its own. One of the first and greatest sci-fi films ever.
Il Grido - one of Antonioni's best, which is saying a lot
L'Age D'Or - Bunuel. Dali. Surrealism. Go get it. (It features the best toe-sucking sequence in cinema history...even if it is just a statue)
The Return - moden Soviet cinema beats everyone else today in terms of artistic expression, and this is a perfect example why.

Do they have good deals on Chaplin and Keaton? I havent been keeping up with the latest on these guys, but what is the "must-have" definitive set that most people like to get?

I still haven't seen Intolerance (DW Griffith) and I really confused which is the version to get and see. So many different versions out there. :head explodes:

[quote name='Requiem']Do they have good deals on Chaplin and Keaton? I havent been keeping up with the latest on these guys, but what is the "must-have" definitive set that most people like to get?

I still haven't seen Intolerance (DW Griffith) and I really confused which is the version to get and see. So many different versions out there. :head explodes:[/QUOTE]

I was wondering about Chaplin myself.

Miike is so fucking overrated. I saw "Audition" and didn't think it was something to dry hump over. I think the end of "Saw" was a HELL of a lot better.

Here's some I'd recommend:

Color of Pomegranites

This one will probably be one of the most overlooked of the Kino titles. Now this is an absolutely beautiful film, and it is simply amazing how Paradjanov managed to film it in Soviet Russia. Highly recommended.

Devarim

I'm just a big fan of Israeli cinema even if this isn't one of the best films at there.

Thanks modium! I saw this over at DVDTalk as well and never thought about posting it here. I think I"m going to pick up the Fritz Lang set as that is the cheapest price I have seen for it anywhere, even though my friend let me have his copy of Metropolis. By the way, perhaps you or somebody else can tell me the quality of the set? Is the Metropolis in it better than that crap Macady or whatever version?

Other than that I'll probably pick up that Dead or Alive set and the Masterworks of German Horror set, which again how is the quality of the transfers, etc. of the set?

For DVD comparisons and reviews, bookmark DVD-Basen ASAP. I was pretty sure Kino's Intolerance disc was the best out there, and the Beaver (via DVD-Basen) confirms that the Kino is the one to get. As for Keaton, if you're region-free, then this MK2 set is the one to get, apparently. But, if you're a R1-only (and a cheapass) then Kino would probably be your best bet.

According to what I've seen of the reviews, the quality of the Fritz Lang and the German Horror Classics sets are both very good. It's funny, Kino isn't great. they're nowhere as good as Criterion or Warner, but they do bring out a lot of things that would otherwise probably never see the light of day on DVD. They do a decent job, even better than acceptable most of the time, but I'm spoiled by certain other companies :p And Kino's Metropolis disc blows away the older versions.

ooooooh that Takashi Miike DOA set and the Fritz Lang set are mine

edit: i wonder if the Metropolis in the Lang collection is the restored one or not? hmmmm may have to make a phone call

The Fritz Lang collection is fairly miserable, it doesn't contain his one truly worthwhile movie, "M." I'd recommend the FW Murnau collection, or if you're feeling cheap just the "The Last Laugh" disc. "Nosferatu"'s in there too, but I'm not such a big fan of that one. "Faust" is also in there and is widely considered one of THE best german films ever made, but I haven't seen it. "Diary of a Lost Girl" is pretty good, as is "Cabinet of Dr. Caligari," but their special edition of the latter isn't included in this sale for some reason.

I've also seen their discs of "Waxworks" (some weird silent German fantasy story trilogy, fairly boring but notable for the all-star cast) and "Michael" (an ancient gay-rights film, pretty boring but historically interesting), but wouldn't recommend those either.

I have the first DOA disc, the picture is pretty miserable and the movie isn't good either (until the last ten minutes). Not recommended. No idea what the second and third are like...I'm curious, but not enough to spend that much money.

[quote name='wankerness']The Fritz Lang collection is fairly miserable, it doesn't contain his one truly worthwhile movie, "M." I'd recommend the FW Murnau collection, or if you're feeling cheap just the "The Last Laugh" disc. "Nosferatu"'s in there too, but I'm not such a big fan of that one. "Faust" is also in there and is widely considered one of THE best german films ever made, but I haven't seen it. "Diary of a Lost Girl" is pretty good, as is "Cabinet of Dr. Caligari," but their special edition of the latter isn't included in this sale for some reason.

I've also seen their discs of "Waxworks" (some weird silent German fantasy story trilogy, fairly boring but notable for the all-star cast) and "Michael" (an ancient gay-rights film, pretty boring but historically interesting), but wouldn't recommend those either.

I have the first DOA disc, the picture is pretty miserable and the movie isn't good either (until the last ten minutes). Not recommended. No idea what the second and third are like...I'm curious, but not enough to spend that much money.[/QUOTE]

theres no way that M would be in that collection considering that Criterion has the rights to it

[quote name='wankerness']The Fritz Lang collection is fairly miserable, it doesn't contain his one truly worthwhile movie, "M." I'd recommend the FW Murnau collection, or if you're feeling cheap just the "The Last Laugh" disc. "Nosferatu"'s in there too, but I'm not such a big fan of that one. "Faust" is also in there and is widely considered one of THE best german films ever made, but I haven't seen it. "Diary of a Lost Girl" is pretty good, as is "Cabinet of Dr. Caligari," but their special edition of the latter isn't included in this sale for some reason.

I have the first DOA disc, the picture is pretty miserable and the movie isn't good either (until the last ten minutes). Not recommended. No idea what the second and third are like...I'm curious, but not enough to spend that much money.[/quote]

M I already own so I don't care, but to not take into account Metropolis is sacriligious against Lang's work. For that alone I don't care about your rant on the set. Thank you and have a nice day.:D

[quote name='Msut77']What kind of Fritz Lang collection is it without M?[/quote]

One where you have to buy it separately. Look at the Hitchcock collections. Can't have every single movie in them.

[quote name='Requiem']Do they have good deals on Chaplin and Keaton? I havent been keeping up with the latest on these guys, but what is the "must-have" definitive set that most people like to get?

I still haven't seen Intolerance (DW Griffith) and I really confused which is the version to get and see. So many different versions out there. :head explodes:[/quote]

This Keaton set is the cheapest I've seen yet. Even more so than the big 20% off sale. I really want this, but I've spent way too much already.

bread's done
Back