Kirby Super Star Ultra: 9/22

BlueLobstah

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
$5 OFF @ Gamestop - Ends 9/28/2008

kirby_logo.jpg

Kirby Super Star™ Ultra for Nintendo DS, launching Sept. 29, re-imagines one of the most beloved Kirby games of all time. Kirby Super Star Ultra features new graphics and fully rendered animated cut scenes. With so many adventures waiting to be unlocked, there will never be a dull moment as Kirby runs, floats, copies enemies and uses Helpers to fight King Dedede and Meta Knight. New modes like Revenge of the King and Meta Knight Ultra await, along with classics like The Great Cave Offensive and Milky Way Wishes. On top of the main modes, there are also three new touch-screen-controlled mini-games that can be played with up to three friends via DS Download Play. Not only that, but players can go on Kirby adventures with a friend via local wireless as well.

kirby_1.jpg

kirby_2.jpg

Some older screens (Oct. 07) can be found on juex-france.

I know this has been in the works for a long time, but I'm glad to see that a release date has finally been attached. Is anyone else looking forward to this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, this is a remake of the Kirby Super Star from the SNES with updated graphics plus new games, which seems to be the most liked of anyone that I've talked to. I was hoping that it would come out on the VC originally, but the DS should work just as well.

Wow, I would have though this would come out in Japan first, but as far as I can tell, there is no release date for Japan yet. But I am a big Kirby fan, so I cannot wait for this, even though I never got to play SuperStar on SNES :)

Oh, fantastic. Can't wait for this. Kirby Superstar was awesome.

Now all I need is a port of SMRPG and Might Morphin' Power Rangers and my life will be complete.

My kids are going to soooo want this game. Me too. I'm really pleased to see that it will support full multiplayer play via local wireless (that is, if I'm reading it correctly, which I think I am.) I hope they've managed to get this in via download play like Mario Party DS managed, but I suspect it's multi-card play. Well, my kids are going to want this and they are going to want to play it multiplayer, so I hope there will be some deals for 2 copies if needed. They need to have multiplayer-packs at a discount when they have multi-card play....

Back on the SNES Kirby Super Star cost too much. Now is my chance to play it on DS. Still missing Super Mario RPG (SNES). I really hope Nintendo Re-make this game for DS :)

hopefully I will have exhausted all I could out of Final Fantasy IV by then, so I can play the fuck out of this :D

[quote name='Nibi']Between this and Chrono Trigger DS, it is like I am a kid again.[/QUOTE]

It is funny that on my DS in this short period f time im going to play FFIV, CT and Kirby Super Star. All I need now is an upgraded Lufia 2 and Donkey Kong Country 3!

Superstar was by far the best Kirby game. Hopefully the game aged well... if it has, I'll be picking this up right away.

[quote name='Nibi']Between this and Chrono Trigger DS, it is like I am a kid again.[/quote]

Wait, Chrono Trigger DS? **Searches for thread.**

Joy!!!

[quote name='Chacrana']Superstar was by far the best Kirby game. Hopefully the game aged well... if it has, I'll be picking this up right away.[/QUOTE]

We've played the originally recently, and yes, it has aged well. It's still a fantastic game. The mini-games are pretty simplistic, but the main game(s) are great stuff, and even those mini-games are kind of fun in a very simplistic way. Sort of fun because they are so simplistic. Let's just hope they've done the conversion well. I expect it will be great.

Kirby's always been one of my favorite characters - and Kirby's Adventure might be my favorite game, period - but I never had an SNES and I've never played Superstar.

How does it compare to the other Kirby games? That third screenshot looks more like an RPG than anything I've seen in the series before... :whistle2:s

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Kirby's always been one of my favorite characters - and Kirby's Adventure might be my favorite game, period - but I never had an SNES and I've never played Superstar.

How does it compare to the other Kirby games? That third screenshot looks more like an RPG than anything I've seen in the series before... :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

It's my favorite Kirby game :)

[quote name='LeafPanda']I am a big kirby fan, but never played Kirby Super Star, woohoo remakes are awesome[/QUOTE]

Remakes have always made me a bit wary, but since I didn't have any problems with the Kirby's Adventure remake for the GBA, I've got a feeling I'll enjoy this one.

Wikipedia said something about how the original was divided up into small games? What on earth is that about?

Kirby Super Star was basically a game compilation full of awesome. While one big game, it had a bunch of different games playable: it's not just one straightforward Kirby game with a single story/adventure. It's got multiple.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Kirby's always been one of my favorite characters - and Kirby's Adventure might be my favorite game, period - but I never had an SNES and I've never played Superstar.

How does it compare to the other Kirby games? That third screenshot looks more like an RPG than anything I've seen in the series before... :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

Best kirby game ever. Take classic kirby gameplay then toss in hunting down like 100 treasure chests with varying valued treasures inside and puzzles based on enemy abilties. Then add in a few fun mini games. There you have the awsomness of Kirby Super Star.

[quote name='EXStrike']Kirby Super Star was basically a game compilation full of awesome. While one big game, it had a bunch of different games playable: it's not just one straightforward Kirby game with a single story/adventure. It's got multiple.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MSI Magus']Best kirby game ever. Take classic kirby gameplay then toss in hunting down like 100 treasure chests with varying valued treasures inside and puzzles based on enemy abilties. Then add in a few fun mini games. There you have the awsomness of Kirby Super Star.[/QUOTE]

Okay, then - consider me interested. :)

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']That third screenshot looks more like an RPG than anything I've seen in the series before... :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

LOL, don't worry, it's just a joke. You can see the entire "RPG" battle from the SNES version in this video:

Kirby RPG Boss

Kirby_Package.jpg

Kirby_Screen_01.jpg

Kirby_Screen_02.jpg

Kirby_Screen_03.jpg

Kirby_Screen_04.jpg

Kirby_Screen_05.jpg

Kirby_Screen_06.jpg

Kirby_Screen_07.jpg

Kirby_Screen_08.jpg

Kirby_Screen_09.jpg

Kirby_Screen_10.jpg

Kirby_Screen_11.jpg

Kirby_Screen_12.jpg

[quote name='Nintendo']

1-4 Players (2 using multiple cards, up to 4 using DS Download Play)

• With so many adventures waiting to be unlocked, there'll never be a dull moment as you run, gloat, copy enemies and use Helpers to fight the likes of King Dedede and Meta Knight.
  • On top of a slew of new adventures, the original modes found in the beloved Super NES® game, Kirby Super Star™, are all here with updated graphics and fully rendered movie scenes.
  • There are also three new touch-screen-controlled mini-games that you can play with up to three friends via DS Download Play--Kirby Card Swipe, Kirby on the Draw and Snack Tracks.
[/quote]

Looks like there's at least a new mode where Meta Knight is playable, i.e. Meta Knight's Revenge and some other new mode not mentioned above which I couldn't find out more about.

I was really hoping they'd pull off *full* DS Download play, but it looks like all you get is some minigames if you do that. Buying two copies of the game for my kids in order for them to play multiplayer for real is too expensive. I wish they'd get around this issue by selling a multiplayer-pack, with one full copy of the game and one multiplayer-only copy. I.e. you couldn't play the multiplayer-copy by itself, it could only be used in conjunction with the full copy, and would then give you the full multiplayer game. Obviously this would sell for less than 2x the price of a single copy. Oh well.

[quote name='lilboo']Hey, uh..this comes out next week. Why aren't you people talking about this?![/QUOTE]

Without real, full download-play multiplayer, this one has pretty much dropped off my radar. It's, then, worse then the original, and what's the point of that? If it ever goes on clearance for half price I'll pick up two copies so we end up with the real game, but short of that this one is a bust IMHO.

Won't really bother me too much honestly, considering I don't know very many people who have DSes.

In other news, there's some sort of "mysterious event" happening tomorrow:

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=16307

MEDIA ALERT: ONE-OF-A-KIND CELESTIAL EVENT EXPECTED IN SEPTEMBER

Spectacular, Star-Filled Display Will Be Visible From Earth at Select Locations

WHAT: Authorities at Nintendo are forecasting an extraordinary celestial event this season. Expected to be visible on Sept. 18, this eye-popping occurrence will be best viewed from a handful of specific U.S. locations (see below). Experts are still deliberating over the scientific significance of this rare phenomenon, but evidence points clearly to the reemergence of a luminous entity that citizens from all walks of life will appreciate.

WHO: Fun-seeking families and anyone who loves a spectacular event

WHEN:
Thursday, Sept. 18, 2008
Peak Viewing Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. C.D.T., 9:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. E.D.T.

WHERE: Optimum viewing locations are as follows and within a one-mile radius:

* Kirby Middle School – 1328 28th Street, Birmingham, AL 35234
* Kirby Historical Mill – 275 Church Road, Medford, NJ 08055
* Kirby Park – 301 Northampton Street, Kingston, PA 18704
* Kirby Gate Shopping Center – 6548 Quince, Memphis, TN 38119

VISUALS:

* A luminous spectacle that onlookers from coast to coast will be talking about

INTERVIEW OPPORTUNITIES:

* A Nintendo authority will be available for interviews at Kirby Middle School in Birmingham, AL

I may check it out since I'm only a few miles from Kirby Middle School. Might be nothing, but I need to go downtown anyway.

bread's done
Back