Kirk Cameron vs Darwin

Ikohn4ever

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Kirk Cameron, best known for his role in the 1980s sitcom Growing Pains, now spends much of his time advocating for far-right Christian evangelical causes.
In a video posted recently to YouTube, Cameron lays out a plan to subvert 'Darwin Day' on November 22, 2009 -- a date marking the 150th anniversary of the publishing of Charles Darwin's "Origin of Species." Cameron says that he and like-minded activists plan to deliver 50,000 copies of an altered version of Darwin's book to students at dozens of U.S. universities.

Cameron explains that this "very special" edition of the "Origin of Species" will include an introduction explaining "Adolf Hitler's undeniable connection" to the theory of evolution, and highlighting "Darwin's racism" and "his disdain for women." Cameron's edition also exposes the "many hoaxes" of evolutionary theory, while presenting a "balanced view of Creationism." (There's a pdf of this introduction here.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN9zpf5cT0M

He needs to stick to his banana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z-OLG0KyR4

It's not a far stretch for him. I'm not surprised somehow. He reminds me of a gay verson of Jason Stackhouse in True Blood.

What? This is what passes for 'science' not only in christianity/religion, but:

Politics (Fanboys arguing political fanboyism)
Online Forums

Christianity is basically a fanboy religion. Arguing for christianity is the same as arguing for any fanboy related crap if you refuse to listen to alternate ideas/beliefs.

Arguing against Darwin using tainted science is nothing different then calling everyone racist due to disagreeing with the president.

"He's sitting informally like us, let's listen to what he has to say!"

It's like every classic creationist fallacy put into the intro to the origin of the species. I wonder if they'll send me one.

[quote name='AdultLink']What? This is what passes for 'science' not only in christianity/religion, but:

Politics (Fanboys arguing political fanboyism)
Online Forums

Christianity is basically a fanboy religion. Arguing for christianity is the same as arguing for any fanboy related crap if you refuse to listen to alternate ideas/beliefs.

Arguing against Darwin using tainted science is nothing different then calling everyone racist due to disagreeing with the president.[/QUOTE]

A fanboy religion? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard... Anyway I know Kirk Cameron is a hardcore Christian. I have a friend in real life that reminds me of him. He kind of favors him, and he is a hardcore Christian himself. I'm pretty open minded when it comes to things like this. If that is what Kirk Cameron wants to do then so be it. Its his choice not ours. Of course they will be people that don't agree or make fun of him. That's life. ;)

This country is so ass-backwards. Freedom of religion, but we have In God We Trust on our currency. We influence our kids to not believe in God in schools and later only trust them in courtrooms if they believe in God and put their hand on a bible. We claim seperation of church and state, but our politicians only ever use church rationale for the really big issues.

They might as well just teach creationism in school alongside evolution. Everything else is in this fucked up nation is chock full of contradiction, so why not that tired-ass issue?

The reason that Atheism has doubled is because people are becoming more intelligent and have access to more knowledge. Years ago, when kids all went to Christian schools, and were only told what they 'needed to hear', they all just obeyed and bought into Christianity. Now that there's no more religion in schools, and kids have access to more information, they can finally see past all the bull crap and form their own conclusion.

Kids aren't being brainwashed. It's just the opposite, kids are NO LONGER being brainwashed.

EDIT: U of I is one of the top 50 universities, so they'll be here November 19th. I can't wait to do some arguing. :D

[quote name='crunchb3rry']This country is so ass-backwards. Freedom of religion, but we have In God We Trust on our currency. We influence our kids to not believe in God in schools and later only trust them in courtrooms if they believe in God and put their hand on a bible. We claim seperation of church and state, but our politicians only ever use church rationale for the really big issues.

They might as well just teach creationism in school alongside evolution. Everything else is in this fucked up nation is chock full of contradiction, so why not that tired-ass issue?[/QUOTE]

I can't wait until my daughter fails her creationism test.

"How couldn't you write, 'God did it.? It's the answer for every question."

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']I can't wait until my daughter fails her creationism test.

"How couldn't you write, 'God did it.? It's the answer for every question."[/QUOTE]

holy jebus. I laughed for a full 2 minutes after reading that. Thank you FoC.

[quote name='camoor']The cover reads "Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin. Couldn't it be considered slander if the book's contents are altered?[/QUOTE]

It's only the introduction that's been re-written. And no, it's wouldn't be slander unless they called him a chickenfucker. Of course, if Darwin DID fuck chickens then that wouldn't be slander either. And, technically, none of it would be slander because it's written in a book. That's called libel.

Of course, it would be slanderous to call Cameron a vacuous walking abortion, but I don't think he could sue me because of it being true.

[quote name='bmulligan']It's only the introduction that's been re-written. And no, it's wouldn't be slander unless they called him a chickenfucker. Of course, if Darwin DID fuck chickens then that wouldn't be slander either. And, technically, none of it would be slander because it's written in a book. That's called libel.

Of course, it would be slanderous to call Cameron a vacuous walking abortion, but I don't think he could sue me because of it being true.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the explanation.

It would be awesome if they started a whole line of these books. Kids could get their textbooks for free, all voluntarily funded by stupid people.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']I can't wait until my daughter fails her creationism test.

"How couldn't you write, 'God did it.? It's the answer for every question."[/QUOTE]

You would expect someone with Mr. Burns as their profile picture to throw in a Simpsons reference once in a while.

But, on a more serious note. Kirk points out that the 61% of professors [I believe it was in Psychology and Biology] are Atheist. Hello! That's an argument for Atheism. It means that some of the most intelligent people alive are Atheists. Also, college students are being "brainwashed" into Atheism? It's just like a Christian to say that education is brainwashing. You know what's really brainwashing: VeggieTales.

[quote name='numbier_wun']You would expect someone with Mr. Burns as their profile picture to throw in a Simpsons reference once in a while.

But, on a more serious note. Kirk points out that the 61% of professors [I believe it was in Psychology and Biology] are Atheist. Hello! That's an argument for Atheism. It means that some of the most intelligent people alive are Atheists. Also, college students are being "brainwashed" into Atheism? It's just like a Christian to say that education is brainwashing. You know what's really brainwashing: VeggieTales.[/QUOTE]

Plus, it's assuming that just because the professors are atheists they're necessarily trying to make their students atheists. I guess all the Christian professors make their students Christians, and the Jews, and the Muslims...

They also probably picked out the professors with the highest percentages, and it's not like every student is going into psychology or biology, and plenty would never even see those professors...

But anywho, there's no point in pointing out their errors, I'd be here for the rest of my life.

We are talking about the Kirk Cameron that did nothing except Growing Pains where he hung out with that kid named Boner right? Wasn't the chick on that show a crackhead? Maybe she scared the Jesus into him.

/got nothin

No, he was in that Left Behind movie too! Which, incidentally, has about as much to do with the Bible as Darwin's untouched work.

[quote name='numbier_wun']You would expect someone with Mr. Burns as their profile picture to throw in a Simpsons reference once in a while.

But, on a more serious note. Kirk points out that the 61% of professors [I believe it was in Psychology and Biology] are Atheist. Hello! That's an argument for Atheism. It means that some of the most intelligent people alive are Atheists. Also, college students are being "brainwashed" into Atheism? It's just like a Christian to say that education is brainwashing. You know what's really brainwashing: VeggieTales.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's fair to say that professors are among the most intelligent people alive. Professors tend to specialize in one field. You might have a brilliant, brilliant geologist who is miserable at math. Don't even get me started on the liberal studies profs.

I'd be atheist, but I'm unable to be that big of an asshole. I'm left myth chasing and praying to the tooth fairy.

On a sidenote, I actually took an Antropology class in college and the prof taught the material, but about 15 minutes out of every day was spent on bashing Christianity and calling it a bunch of lies. Spiritually it didn't phase me in the slightest, but I did find it wildly inappropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stopped listening when he said atheist and agnostic professors were brainwashing the youth to be likeminded. He said it as though that religion has never been used in the same manner.

What offends me is they act like Creationism is some legitimate second opinion to Evolution when it's CLEARLY Christianity they're pushing people to. It's one thing if they're just proposing something is out there with a conscience, maybe even multiple things, but the slant of Creationism is to push a specific religion.
Frankly it's insulting to everyone else besides Atheists as well, because you're pretending their religion has no legitimacy.
Trying to throw all that mess at Darwin is also nonsense since most men back then were likely sexist, even racist, it was the way the times were. I'm not saying that's ok but one has to at least put it into a context.

I heard this on the Stern show last week and really just made me feel sick. He uses all sorts of backwards logic and when arguing for religion to be taught in schools he completely discounts any other belief because only his are right.
I actually grew up in a fiercely christian home and went to a school for a couple years where they taught with science books that showed Adam and Eve walking next to dinosaurs and taught the scientific applications of creationism. I can't imagine how someone could function in an academic environment having been taught like that for thirteen years.

[quote name='sotc1988']I heard this on the Stern show last week and really just made me feel sick. He uses all sorts of backwards logic and when arguing for religion to be taught in schools he completely discounts any other belief because only his are right.
I actually grew up in a fiercely christian home and went to a school for a couple years where they taught with science books that showed Adam and Eve walking next to dinosaurs and taught the scientific applications of creationism. I can't imagine how someone could function in an academic environment having been taught like that for thirteen years.[/QUOTE]

Ewww this is just disgusting, to pretend that religion, specifically the Christian religion, has any sort of legitimacy next to Science. One has the Scientific Method, where you actually form a Hypothesis and then test to prove whether your Hypothesis is true or not and the other is from a book that could just as likely be a Fairy Tale written. Let's also not forget how sexist and Homophobic the book can be as well. I'm suppose to believe that someone that's such an asshole is making decisions for me and is the one who created me?! Or it's more likely to believe the book was made up and written by a bunch of misogynists and closeted Gay men for control of women, who, you brainwash them at the right time it's easy to keep them nice and brainwashed. In fact it's despicable that those who KNEW BETTER pulled that bs.

Note how God in the Old Testament also seems to resemble the behavior of a king as well. Think about Hell too and the similarities to a king who might torture you for the rest of your days should you disobey him.

The thing that annoys me most about the video in the OP is that religious folk often complain that their liberties are under assault. It takes legitimacy from those who actually point out abuse of freedoms in this country (as well as policy abroad). Very similar to the libertarian/"libertarian/teabagger/Glenn Beck is really awesome" issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back