Kmart: New 3DS XL $100, PS4 $200, Splatoon $30

Initially came to this thread when it just featured the New 3DS XL for $100 out of general curiosity and interest; I already have a New 3DS XL, Limited Edition Majora's Mask one, but then became predominately interested in the PS4, which I notice the thread has been updated and re-titled accordingly

Went to Toys'R'Us within their first hour of opening this morning

They were out of PS4's, both The Last of Us and Batman Arkham Knight ones, and of course no standalone consoles either. They had plenty of New 3DS XL's though. Nobody was over in gaming, it looked like there was only one person on register too from what I can tell in their checkout aisles, they seemed a little oddly busy for a barely a half hour into opening, albeit on a Saturday morning. I don't if they had a call of or were just understaffed or what, but the single open register was backed up a few 4 or 5 people, I couldn't really tell what was happening, if anything at "guest services" by the front entrance of the store, I know there were two girls over there when I came in, one of whom would go on to help me later.

Anyways, I sent out an assistance page in gaming via one of their price checkers which has the option through the appropriate button, though the device itself was actually little ways off where actual signage hanging from above informing of this ability dictated. I still ended up waiting probably a good 10 minutes to get acknowledged, the page went over the loud speaker, and would repeat every few minutes, adding an additional dinging noise each time before it actually announced the "customer needs assistance in gaming." I was quickly being reminded why I never go to Toys'R'Us, in addition to some of their ridiculous mark-ups and lackluster rewards and sales, be on video games for me or when I go for toys or trading cards for my nieces or nephews.

But alas! A girl came over, acknowledged me and asked if I needed help in gaming, to which I politely replied "Yes, please." She cheerily told me she would be right with me just as soon as she took care of another gentleman, who had followed her over to the register from the guest services desk. After she rang up his transaction or whatever on the POS lickity split, she came over to me, I told I just wanted a New 3DS XL, in black, (per the Kmart ad), she double checked to make sure she had a black one and everything when she pulled it, and just doubled checked I asked for the 3DS and not the 2DS as she did too before we went to the register. (Some less gamer-inclined or just unattentive or apathetic associates might not pick up on the difference between the 3DS XL and "New" 3DS XL, not that she was the latter of these by any means; she was awesome. They didn't have any regular 3DS XL's in stock any how from what I can tell, but its just good advice to have for personal visits, thought I'm sure I don't have to say that for anybody here).

Followed her over to the gaming desk, she asked about some protection plan which I politely declined, then told her I would like to price match Kmart. She said no problem, showed her proof of price on my phone with the link, she said no problem, just need a supervisor to approve it. She called for a manager, who came over pretty quickly, with the associate thanking for my patience, her being cheery and polite in the meantime while we waited. I showed the manager price on my phone, they talked it for a sec for themselves, the associate saying "I knew I'd need the approval anyway, and when I saw the price I knew I'd definitely need it. (Don't know what the hell that means, you either need the actual approval or you don't.) The manager asked to see my phone, scrolled up and down the page, and said, albeit mildly, mildly agitated and defeated (which she had an exasperated look on her face when she came over, so could've been from a prior issue. She was a little older probably early thirties or maybe even older, and was pregnant, probably in her second trimester, so I'm sure its not fun running around like chicken with your head cut off in a retail environment full time under those circumstances, so it could've just been from that too.) "yeah, the price is there." and did the override. Swiped my card and signed and was out the door while thanking the associate for being awesome.

Overall, probably took about 20 minutes. Longer than it should have, maybe, but the sweetness of the deal offsets it.

After that, I decided I would next check Walmart for PS4s of any kind. We have two Walmarts where I live within 20 minutes of each other. One is in the main "city" (I put in quotations because how city like and bustling it is vs. some "towns, suburbs, or boroughs" is questionable) and one is in a "suburb" a little bit off the interstate. The "city" one is bigger, but has a notorious reputation for being ghetto as hell, both employees and customers alike, while the other is smaller, and has a smaller selection on most things, with the exception of maybe groceries, (which I think they actually might have more of (I know they have a different selection and some things the other one doesn't carry.) less checkouts, no self-checkout, etc. but it is in a better neighborhood, and the employees there are usually more helpful, intelligent, and sane. So I went to the ghetto one with hopes that the employees would be just dumb enough to not check or realize the difference from the Batman Bundle to the stand alone PS4 displayed on the site but not stupid or batshit crazy enough to just spew out nonsensical bullshit that I've seen in this thread like "the website is fake, the m.kmart isn't real Kmart."

Went to Walmart, darted back to electronics. two associates were with customers, one was finishing up. They were pretty busy in the front end of the store (checkouts mainly, customer service wasn't really backed up or anything) for it not even being 11 AM but electronics was pretty tame.
Older gentleman associate (who had "Rev" in front of his name. Don't know if it was for Reverend, or if it was part of his first name. This is Walmart so there usually are no rules on anything at all. Kill someone? Go to Walmart. Anything goes) he came over to me and asked if I needed help. I asked if I could get a PS4. Pulled it, went over to the register where he finished up a transaction with some else who was waiting in line (I think he knew him, he called him "Father something" I didn't quite catch the name, the Reverend was an African American gentleman, had the sort of stereotype Reverend vibe.) After he finished the transaction, I was next, he started scanning the console and then I told him I'd like to do a price match to Kmart. He got snippy with me, I shit you not, and told me "Next time tell me before hand because now I gotta start all over." (No idea what "starting over" constitutes or what Walmart POS is like, but it literally took him all of 10 seconds to be ready to check the proof of price on my phone for a price match. I showed him, he scrolled through it, showed him it was for our ZIP code and everything, and he asked if was the Batman Bundle, and I tried to be as confident sounding as could and lied through my teeth and said yes, which he then said that they would have to "check on this" and to come with him to the front of the store, with junior detective wording like that having me think that I'm gonna get arrested and thrown in walmart jail or condemned to hell by the reverend or something.

We went to the front of the store, him talking about how this could be a "heck of a deal" if its the Batman Bundle with a more excited good for you thats a good sale voice then the junior detective tone earlier and he spoke with what I assume to be the Customer Service Manager or Lead or whatever, who was near the registers checking on change and explained the situation to her, and she was just like "yeah, we'll have to check for that." in a sort of agitated tone the smelled more of "I trust the customer but we have to jump through this corporate set hoops because people (like myself) are dishonest and one bad egg spoils the whole bunch." kind of tone. She brings out her smartphone and starts searching on kmart, cursing at associates over her radio (and in front of me) and swearing under her breath (loudly as if in conversation and in front of me). she said we could go over to customer service where she got behind a register there and kept searching, swearing at her phone, getting agitated with it saying the usual "come on you stupid thing. why can't they ever work right when you need them to?" kind of small talk with me. Then she just finally asked to check my phone. She scrolled through it and said she couldn't do it because it isn't the Batman Bundle. I thought about fighting it, but I didn't know what angle to take, I thought about saying something about the "trauma" I endure with her cursing (I'm fine with it and understand 100% with what she was probably dealing with but it is unprofessional and I usually josh around with a customer and get a read with them before I even dare think of using a profanity in front of them or in conversation with them, usually if they curse talking with you its a safe sign) but I'm not good at being a colossal asshole; trying to price match what is really to different skus and not really the same item was dick-ish enough for me and I didn't want getting "arrested" or "banned" from Walmart land or maybe murder because again there are no rules at Walmart. I asked if the regular one was available she said she wouldn't know and it would be more the other gentleman's turf (They only had Batman ones in electronics), so defeated, I politely thanked her and left the store.

To be fair, she's right. I'm trying to price match an apple with an orange. Congratulations to anybody that got a price match on the Playstation, even more so than the price you have understand the push back because they are to different packages and it is kind of shifty, just like if you got pushback on a trying to pm on a red New 3DS XL when the Kmart ad says its for the black. Definitely shouldn't get that pushback on a New 3DS XL though regardless because they are just the same, just different colors, no bundles or "Limited Edition" or anything. They are the same items in this case.

Didn't try any Best Buys. I have two within about 35 or so minutes of each other. My local one that is only 15 minutes away from home is usually good about checking these things; they haven't been one of the top 20 stores in the company for the best several months for nothing. I don't think I'd get the PS4 through there, manager override needed or not, but I think I can manage another New 3DS XL as long as its the black one. I could try the one that's farther away, there's usually less foot traffic there and the whole store is just....feels like its dying and the floor lay out is awkward (gaming is literally dead center in the store, there's no middle aisle or walkway, there's just gaming that you have to go through or walk around.) and the associates usually seem to care less, they might do the PS4. Time will tell when have time to drive up there either Sunday or Monday.

TL;DR: Yay Toys'R'Us. Booo Walmart. Didn't try Best Buy. Good luck trying to price match what is really to separate items and congratulations to those that do.
Nice story absent the racial stereotypes

Snagged a New 3DS XL at walmart for this price. Had no problems at all price matching.

Tagging for someone to attempt this though.

I just tried this and it shows $17.50 :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

Huge round of applause for anyone ballsy enough to try it, and even bigger round of applause for anyone that gets the PM, although it'll likely be no one
I tried it. I WAS *THIS* CLOSE. I get all up to check it out at walmart, i just ask to price match. Lady says sure (after they told me i couldnt back in electronics) i show her the ad. And get this, she doesnt even question it. Just says ok. Unfortunately as she was finishing a little junior detective comes over and asks if she could see the ad. I obviously cant say no. She looks at it and says no way im selling it at this price. (she was a manager) I tell her the add is real and its only $17.50. She calls KMart and comes back and says "no the website was hacked its fake. 1. No, the website wasnt hacked. 2. She looked at me as if i were the one that was responsible for that price!

Hmm change your zip codes the ps4 still shows 200 which is obviously easier to pm then 17.5

Last edited by a moderator:
If KMart had any quantity of these items whatsoever they would NOT be selling them for 50% off.  They are either trying to clear out whatever minuscule stock they had of these items (and I bet they had little to none since most physical KMarts have had the whole gaming department on liquidation clearance since February), or they are dicking over their price matching competitors by putting up a supposedly "legit" sale price for items they never really had in stock.

And they could end up dicking us customers over in the long term as other retailers may be forced to reexamine or change their price matching policies because of the losses with this, or better train employees on those policies and their enforcement.  And that really is the problem here.  If these employees of KMart's competitors were properly trained on price matching, 99% of these success stories never would have happened.  The items being price matched need to be in stock either online or at the local stores and apparently many employees don't really give a damn to actually check this.

have either of you been in the independence kmarts lately? are they bone dry? not necessarily of these deals but just the gaming section in general. i keep wanting to drive down but its like a half hour drive and i didnt want to make the trip and come back empty handed.
Didn't even know there was a Kmart nearby haha

If anyone was able to snag a second 3DS and would be willing to sell it to a fellow CAG user for a decent price please PM me.

I was able to price match Splatoon at my local Walmart this morning.  Showed the electronics guy the price and he called a manager to check, the manager actually told him that "we don't price match Kmart or BestBuy.com since they arent in our area but do it this one time."  I chuckled to myself and paid, lol.  Glad I didnt try for either system since that definitely would have been denied.

So by the end of the madness, all competitors will be more alert and strict on Pms.

In modern society, almost everything we do is immoral or unethical.

For example, all of us buy stuff made by slave labor.

Only way to get out is to live in the woods and be self reliant.

Almost everyone sins, but we can sin less and choose not to sin.

So I wont PM the 3ds or PS4. I

Damn man, just trying to provide as much information as possible so people can plan successful attack strategy and foster the success of scoring the deal for everyone. Knowledge is power, I also gave tldr version
You picked a good day to price match at toys r us. It was so busy at opening because of their shopkins trade in event. The pregnant manager prob didn't have the time to scrutinize your phone ad. They have weird kiddie events early on saturdays a lot so that is a good time to try stuff like this

Nice story absent the racial stereotypes
Hahaha I didn't mean it to be racist but I live northeastern Pennsyltucky in a more rural area (about a half hour from Scranton for those The Office fans) and it's just more traditional conservative Red state kind of environment. Lots of stereotypes and more reserved and conservative persons vs. more liberal concepts.

I assume that they didnt use their iPad to verify the price. They just looked at your phone, right?
Correct. Just my phone. But after the purchase I noticed several employees talking to the cashier, what I would assume be this deal. Wanted to score two, but happy with what I got. BTW, what is the 3DS? lol. jk.

Don't know how the hell y'all are getting it pricmatched at Target.
Doing it at Electronics counter? Or customer service

I've seen one Target pricematch right at electronics, but the customer service people are usually pretty strict.

Electronics at target has always made me go to customer service. Best place to get a mugshot on their security cameras.

Electronics at target has always made me go to customer service. Best place to get a mugshot on their security cameras.
They always make you go to customer service. As soon as you walk into the store you're on camera. if you can score the deal, great! But like all PM policy, it's hit and miss since the staff seem to determine the policy. So it's clearly YMMV.

Most of my targets price match at CS but one will only price match in electronics. Regardless, all of mine use ipads to verify the price so no go on this "deal" 4 me at target

I couldn't even get my Walmart to price match Kmart for a $10 copy of "Knack" so I'm not even going to bother with hardware. -.-

If you live in the state of Maine (all 2 of us) then don't even bother.  I live in the Portland area and I was shot down by Walmart, TRU, and Target.  Didn't even bother with Best Buy because they are the worst.  Consider my jealous of anyone who got in on this deal!

My local Walmart is well aware of this deal. The customer service rep even said: "Is it the KMart PS4? That's out of stock and we don't match it."

I will not even bother by checking with Best Buy.

Two wal-marts, a target, and a best buy later, none of them are price matching because it's a .com deal.

Two wal-marts, a target, and a best buy later, none of them are price matching because it's a .com deal.
If you go to customer service theres a print out Wal-Mart will match KMart.com... if It's in stock. We match Amazon.com stuff all the time but it has to be fulfilled by Amazon and in stock.

So by the end of the madness, all competitors will be more alert and strict on Pms.

In modern society, almost everything we do is immoral or unethical.

For example, all of us buy stuff made by slave labor.

Only way to get out is to live in the woods and be self reliant.

Almost everyone sins, but we can sin less and choose not to sin.

So I wont PM the 3ds or PS4. I
This does not make any sense...

This does not make any sense...
At least the first half of it does to me. I think he's saying why should people have a moral dilemma about screwing over a corporation when they screw over their workers everyday. I fully agree with this although I already owned a PS4 and had no reason to try getting this deal.

What is with these stores not following their own policies? I can understand not doing it cause it's OOS but not "cause they don't PM Kmart" or they "don't match online prices" or not "just cause" or "they are going out of business" is BS,I understand them not wanting to PM this but making up excuses that go against their own policies is crazy

What is with these stores not following their own policies? I can understand not doing it cause it's OOS but not "cause they don't PM Kmart" or they "don't match online prices" or not "just cause" is BS,I understand them not wanting to PM this but making up excuses that go against their own policies is crazy
It's funny you mentioned this. Target told me they don't match Kmart.com but would price match a physical ad from Kmart. TRU said they won't price match it because when they look it up on their computer the price doesn't come up. Walmart told me they wouldn't match the price because it comes up as out of stock when you add it to the cart. The most BS reason I got was when I tried to do the live chat with a TRU website rep. They told me they wouldn't price match it because it was on sale and it was a clearance/liquidation/closeout price.

Let it go people the deal is dead
I second that. It's out now, and clearly all retailers know. Especially since some SDer's were foolish enough to buy multiple systems per transaction, some even per location probably. At this point, pursuing any kind of Kmart.com PM isn't going to do anything but damage. Wish it could die with dignity--well, as much as a glitch deserves anyway lol. XD

At least the first half of it does to me. I think he's saying why should people have a moral dilemma about screwing over a corporation when they screw over their workers everyday. I fully agree with this although I already owned a PS4 and had no reason to try getting this deal.
I think the gist is actually more like "In today's world, you can't really escape being sort of unethical by proxy...by buying that cheap shirt made by child labor in Pakistan or South America...or by buying that smartphone made in China by underage workers in poor conditions... And the only way to escape it is to not buy or rely on any of those things... But this is a case where you can choose to be a little less ethical and get in on the deal or be a little more ethical and walk away."

I second that. It's out now, and clearly all retailers know. Especially since some SDer's were foolish enough to buy multiple systems per transaction, some even per location probably. At this point, pursuing any kind of Kmart.com PM isn't going to do anything but damage. Wish it could die with dignity--well, as much as a glitch deserves anyway lol. XD
I like how you blame SD lol.

Struck out at two Walmarts and a best buy. Not surprised since I was so late to the game. Oh well, congrats to those that succeeded this time.

It's funny you mentioned this. Target told me they don't match Kmart.com but would price match a physical ad from Kmart. TRU said they won't price match it because when they look it up on their computer the price doesn't come up. Walmart told me they wouldn't match the price because it comes up as out of stock when you add it to the cart. The most BS reason I got was when I tried to do the live chat with a TRU website rep. They told me they wouldn't price match it because it was on sale and it was a clearance/liquidation/closeout price.
It's funny because all of these except for the first one are legit.

Update: I went to nearest bestbuy from me, I got two WiiU games (MP 10 and Splatoon) from the pricematch.  But the guy can't do the New 3dsXL for me due to the OOS and/or can't ship from Kmart website .. sad sad ... :whistle2:(

This does feel like a parting shot at more successful retailers...

wrath%20of%20kmart_zps6mmzhajn.png

But yeah, I can vouch for this deal. I went down to Wal-Mart to pick up groceries and decided on a lark to pick up one of these systems. The electronics clerk, a tattooed gent named Gerardo, needed proof of the K-Mart deal in the form of a screenshot. So I ran down to the McDonald's in the store, borrowed a cup of wi-fi, and came back to the electronics department with a screencap (shown). Gerardo was quite happy to match the price, but a discount that large needed authorization from a manager, so I stood around twiddling my thumbs for ten minutes until an older, stocky man named Fernando arrived to validate the sale. It was kind of a pain, all that haggling and running from one corner of the store to the other, but I got the discount so I guess was worth the extra footwork.

So I have a New 3DS XL now! Er, now what? (Eating ramen for the next two weeks is what, stupid! What part of "fixed income" don't you understand?)

But yeah, I can vouch for this deal. I went down to Wal-Mart to pick up groceries and decided on a lark to pick up one of these systems. The electronics clerk, a tattooed gent named Gerardo, needed proof of the K-Mart deal in the form of a screenshot. So I ran down to the McDonald's in the store, borrowed a cup of wi-fi, and came back to the electronics department with a screencap of the deal (shown). Gerardo was quite happy to give me the deal, but a discount that large needed authorization from a manager, so I stood around twiddling my thumbs for ten minutes until an older, stocky man named Fernando arrived to validate the sale. It was kind of a pain, all that haggling and running from one corner of the store to the other, but I got the discount so I guess was worth the extra footwork.

So I have a New 3DS XL now! Er, now what? (Eating ramen for the next two weeks is what, stupid! What part of "fixed income" don't you understand?)
Those chaps sound like the stereotypical employees where I live; names and descriptions... The whole 9!

But yeah, I can vouch for this deal. I went down to Wal-Mart to pick up groceries and decided on a lark to pick up one of these systems. The electronics clerk, a tattooed gent named Gerardo, needed proof of the K-Mart deal in the form of a screenshot. So I ran down to the McDonald's in the store, borrowed a cup of wi-fi, and came back to the electronics department with a screencap of the deal (shown). Gerardo was quite happy to give me the deal, but a discount that large needed authorization from a manager, so I stood around twiddling my thumbs for ten minutes until an older, stocky man named Fernando arrived to validate the sale. It was kind of a pain, all that haggling and running from one corner of the store to the other, but I got the discount so I guess was worth the extra footwork.

Those chaps sound like the stereotypical employees where I live; names and descriptions... The whole 9!

bread's done
Back