Kmart OFFICIALLY PHASING OUT GAMES SECTION. 20% Off Games Accessories! Clearance DEALS INSIDE! Post your finds here!

Caffeinefree

CAGiversary!
EDIT - If you see any deals in your local Kmart post it in this thread. Spread the love. This post is no longer being curated so check the last post for YMMV local deals. 

20% OFF SALE ON NOW UNTIL THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. (*Gwarr... Brains...*)

NOTICE

I am no longer affiliated with Kmart, so this isn't getting any future updates. Stay tuned to the latest post in the comment section. THANKS!

I looked into the plan for this fire-sale, and apparently they'll be rolling out clearance deals for the whole section. So 20% off, then 50%, or whatever comes to pass. Looks like different regions are getting different sales sooner than others, as well as higher volume stores getting different sales than lower ones. IF YOU HAVE INSIDE INFO, POST IN THIS THREAD SO CAGS IN YOUR AREA CAN GET A HEADS UP.

TIPS & TRICKS

• All deals are YMMV.
  • Kmart bases it's clearance on how long an item has been in stock. It takes a few weeks, but even the most expensive items go on clearance.
  • ALWAYS ASK SOMEONE TO SCAN AN ITEM FOR YOU. Most older games are on clearance, but have not been labeled as such.
  • Lookout for "penny items", items that have been on shelf for so long they've been clearanced down to 0.01. They won't sell for that, but it's a great way to get GTA IV for $2.00, for example.
  • TAKE A PICTURE AND PRICE MATCH.  For Walmart and other retailers, this is all they need to price match. Make sure the label is clearly visible and don't forget to post it here and share the love. 

Background Info
So I am an employee of Kmart and happened to see this memo pass through my local store. I can't repeat it verbatim, and I couldn't get a picture of the message due to being constantly on camera.

Basically the memo stated the "exit strategy" for the games section in retail stores. Stating that this was in essence brought on by having overstocked shelves (bwa hahaha) and not enough customers. However Kmart.com, Sears.com, and Shopyourwayrewards.com, would continue to sell games and consoles to meet peoples needs. So they're switching focus from retail to online.

The message continued to explain to sell down merch and fill the empty space with other merch. Eventually to clearance out the whole section if it didn't sell down.

So firstly, wait. Just wait and deals will come.

As a customer I have to say that Kmart has had nothing but crappy deals for the past few years. (On games) Focusing on SYWR points and mediocre sales to bring in customers rather than staying competitive with Amazon, Walmart, and pretty much any retailer that will actually give a deep discount. Therefore they have shot themselves in the foot and driven away most business. As a result of that they face what I call "the burger problem".

When Kmart doesn't get games in to sell, they can't sell them. But instead of getting more stock I guess they just say "X person doesn't want Y game". This is just like a survey of a small town saying no one in the town likes burgers, because no one eats burgers. Only to find out there is nowhere to eat burgers in the first place.

Why doesn't Kmart get games to sell? I don't know if Kmart as a whole does this, or just my store, but we don't get games on a truck. We get them in sporadically via UPS, and never before release date. We get limited quantities and then get restocks oddly. Over the holidays I got dozens of calls for titles we wouldn't get in for weeks. During Christmas we only got a handful of Xbox Ones and no PS4s, and since then only one Wii U and one 3DS XL, which may have been returns. In short they could be making money, but there is just some really bad policies in place that leave plenty of customers walking out the door. 

Then on top of that we barely make any money in markup. We buy games basically at cost, given only a few dollars. I've seen games we bought for 58.50 selling for $60. Same for all peripherals, a 20 charger may have costed 12 for us. I was really shocked about this when I first started looking into it. Whereas other sections of the store have a markup that's understandable. 

So now after all this poor management, they're getting rid of what has always been the best part of the electronics section - games. I remember there being something said about "better serving our customer's needs", the problem in the first place was that they didn't serve our needs. For the most part they were poorly stocked, AND THIS HAS KILLED THEM THE MOST.

YMMV DEALS -  Post below if you find a deal in your area! Post here if you find a deal in your area! 

:360: Xbox 360 DEALS  :360:

Select titles 20+% off

:xb1: Xbox One Deals  :xb1:

Select titles 20+% off

:ps3: PS3 DEALS  :ps3:

Select titles 20+% off

:ps4: PS4 DEALS  :ps4:

Select titles 20+% off

:vita: VITA DEALS  :vita:

Select titles 20+% off

:wiiu: Wii U / Wii DEALS  :wii:

20%off

:3ds: 3DS / DS DEALS  :ds:

3DS XL - @190 @ 20%off

[+..••] Accessories DEALS [+..••]

Afterglow Universal Headset - $30

:xb1: Xbox One Charge Kit - $20

Giotek EX-05 Universal Headset - $20

Thanks again. Remember to post your deals in the comment section.  :)

EDIT - KMART CLEARANCE 2.1 thread, added consoles, added tips, condensed backstory down into spoiler, erected a sofa, planted seeds for world domination. Just check the last post for local deals.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the local Kmart once I saw this thread and our store had completely removed the Video Games section.  Seeing as though they had it just a few weeks earlier seems as though the games where probably shipped to a higher volume store.

Has anyone seen any deals on 3DS/2DS's at any of their Kmarts during this?
Mine had 2 red 2ds's for $89 on clearance. That was the only systems left. A handful of games for each system are left. All full price. There are some notable newer titles in there. I hope they go on clearance soon. I'd like to get Forza Horizon 2 and The Crew for at least 50% off.

People need to leave that guy alone. If someone shoots a rpg into the sky and I in the sky, I'm saying they shot at me. Same convoy.

#closeenough
I have no issue with him and quite like him on the news, he's just an easy target right now... like that chopper he was in.

The Kmart that had three copies Lego City Undercover on Wii U last week only had one left. The $32 it was going for seems to be the cheapest I could find a disc-only copy with new copies going for $60+, so I decided it was a steal and grabbed it.

I went to my Kmart yesterday to check and yes everything was on clearance but only to round it down a dollar... $59.99 games were $59.00 and so on and so on

fuck wait, you show your 'loophole' where you basically ruined future deals for others and then you complain about not knowing why they are getting rid of the games section… rightttt
I was being ironic, not making a complaint. It is clear why their gaming sales weren't profitable.

Right; I'm sure I singlehandedly ruined the deals for everyone.

I'll have to check my Kmart again. Last I saw they had some copies of Assassin's Creed: Unity for the PS4 for around $24.

Wonder if they still have some, may not be a bad idea to pick it up.

Was at a closing Kmart over the summer and was excited to see that XBL credit and Nintendo credit were both still there in and on clearance. Until, that is, I took a few up to the register and the guy panicked...asked me where I found them...and said how they were supposed to be taken off the shelve. Pffft oh well.

Everything at my store was gone before Christmas basically anyway. I think they wised up and since they knew this was going to happen they took advantage of it by putting stuff on crazy "sales" just before the holidays and people ate it up. I knew something was up when they never restocked...
Not sure if you are in California, but if you are. The law is, that if a retailer has something on the shelf, and it's marked at a certain price, they have to sell it for that price. They can't deny you the sale, if it is in their store available for purchase. It almost sounds to me like that guy was hoarding the cards for himself, and planned to buy them when they got extremely cheap.

The Kmart I went to today had some Xbones WITH Kinects for $475. Not sure if they were 20% off though. Do you guys know if the consoles ring up 20% off? I feel if no one knows that, I might be able to luck out and get one for 50% off unless they send them back like everyone else does.

Was at a closing Kmart over the summer and was excited to see that XBL credit and Nintendo credit were both still there in and on clearance. Until, that is, I took a few up to the register and the guy panicked...asked me where I found them...and said how they were supposed to be taken off the shelve. Pffft oh well.

Everything at my store was gone before Christmas basically anyway. I think they wised up and since they knew this was going to happen they took advantage of it by putting stuff on crazy "sales" just before the holidays and people ate it up. I knew something was up when they never restocked...
Sounds like you got cheated. I would have said no, I'm buying them, please ring them up or call your district manager.

Does the price differ when an item is rung up? I saw a Wii U with a reduced sticker price of $285 but didn't check to see if that was the final price. 

Greenville, South Carolina Kmart. Some Xone, and ps4 stuff left. Discounts are like 2 bucks off msrp. Nothing to see yet.

EDIT: Fixed phone based typo.

My Kmart has the video game cases completely removed now, replaced by shelving with TV's and printers on them. They have all the games and accessories on a couple of end-caps on the isles. Most games are only priced $1-2 less than retail, but they do have a 25% off sign. Would like to pick up a couple games, but not until (if?) they reach 50%.

Sad to see the gaming section die. When SHC Josh was around, I was going to Kmart a lot for games :( Oh well.

25% off here in Roanoke, and if you're looking for Nintendo finds......you won't be finding anything worthwhile.....or for cheap.

Was hoping to spot a Pikmin 3.

25% off here in Roanoke, and if you're looking for Nintendo finds......you won't be finding anything worthwhile.....or for cheap.

Was hoping to spot a Pikmin 3.
Those are a rare occurance out in the wild. The 4 Kmarts near me had 1 each around the holidays when they were $30. They were the only stores that had any copies at all. All 3 Gamestops said they hadn't seen any in a few weeks.

kmart game sales are definently.....random.     i think the store managers have lotsa leeway choosing what they want to do.  

this past pre-christmas, i found some crazy deals in games, just giving them away practically.   = ) 

I hit up the two K-Marts in my area... not much left.

I did see a couple of Ninja Gaiden 3 - Razor's Edge and Steel Diver I was considering getting for the Club Nintendo codes. I know these got as low as $7 on regular Clearance well over a year ago, but passed on them. The Ninja Gaiden copies had yellow clearance stickers for $21 and the Steel Diver $24.00. The rung up out of system so I asked the guy how much they'd be and his response was the yellow sticker... right.. I'm not going to pay more because you didn't do you job and update the clearance pricing right in the first place. I debated asking them to look it up on the handheld scanner like I've had them do before, but the guy seemed too dumb, and I didn't want to waste the time...

I'd totally be down for picking up Assassin's Creed Rogue with the surprise points they keep sending me if they didn't mark it back up to $57.  I seriously couldn't find anything worthwhile last time I was there and ended up using my points on socks...lol

The one I hit up is in Reynoldsburg, on Main and Brice. There wasn't a lot left, a few copies of Animal Crossing and Dream Team for 3DS, some COD Advanced Warfare, Destiny, and Assassin's Creed. Of their limited stock, most looked to be games that are 2-3 years old and had never had the price reduced, so even with the clearance it's more pricey than Amazon/Target/Best Buy
Hey thanks...may try to get over there at some point. Dream Team is on my list for sure, although I've heard mixed things.

So if a few copies of some of the older-newish games like Far Cry, The Crew, EA 2k15 games suddenly appear on the shelf...does that mean they're either returns or possibly misplaced and found in the back?

Looks like pre-orders are starting to get back into full swing with the addition of BF and MK being added already. Of course not as fleshed out as it use to be, though...and it looks like they screwed up by not tagging MK as pre-order. 

Those are a rare occurance out in the wild. The 4 Kmarts near me had 1 each around the holidays when they were $30. They were the only stores that had any copies at all. All 3 Gamestops said they hadn't seen any in a few weeks.
Man i must have bought Pikmin 3 JUST in time. I price matched a online store i think Newegg? At Best Buy in store and had it shipped hom, stock seemed pretty healthy and that wasn't even that long ago. I actually opened it and played for a bit recently not bad but the tablet controls are a bit annoying (aiming your throws)

Anyone been to the one in Lynchburg va? I haven't been in it I'm years and don't even know if it even still has a game department, really don't want to make the drive for nothing

the one i had too had dragon age inqusition shadow or mordor and one copy of super mario 3d worlds for 45 i think there was others. the other location had 3ds games i picked up donkey kong 3d for 15 after SYWR and they had smash brothers brawl for 23 i saw 3 copies many games still left too

Me scan :ps3: Sonic Genesis Collection, came up $16 something. Me also scan :ps3: Rayman Legends, came up $12 something... :cry:

Not really much else to scan.

Had $7 in surprise points that expire tomorrow, so I went back to my Kmart and actually found a copy of Rayman Legends for ps3 I hadn't noticed before that was hidden in the case behind a big sticker on the glass.  Came to $12 after the 25%...and got it for $5 after the surprise points.  Not a bad find.

Are they 25% now? Last I checked it was 20%. I'd like to get the copies of Bravely Default and Lego Undercover they had in Nogales (the seamy underbelly of Arizona), but fear they'll be gone by the time I have money for them. Also, I'd have to go to Nogales.

Are they 25% now? Last I checked it was 20%. I'd like to get the copies of Bravely Default and Lego Undercover they had in Nogales (the seamy underbelly of Arizona), but fear they'll be gone by the time I have money for them. Also, I'd have to go to Nogales.
A 4th store I went to had all games 25% off lowest ticketed price. Most of the "good" XB1 and PS4 games were marked as $57, so they came to about $42 each.

Last night, Lumines for Vita rang up as $4.49 (marked $5.99) at a store I went to so that would've been 25% off.
I just bought a copy of that for $4.49. Said it was $5.99 plus the 25% off.

This always makes me mad. Everytime theres anything like this my stores are never doing it. I went in last week and everything is still full price in the system. That and we have a guy around here who jumps on all that so even if shit dropped to .99 it would all be gone before I got there -.-

A 4th store I went to had all games 25% off lowest ticketed price. Most of the "good" XB1 and PS4 games were marked as $57, so they came to about $42 each.

I just bought a copy of that for $4.49. Said it was $5.99 plus the 25% off.
This was the same case at the store in Fall River, MA. Dragon Age, Far Cry, etc. were marked to 57 with 25% off stickers around the section. Games like NBA 2K14, CoD Ghosts were $40 before the 25% off.

That was pretty much the golden era for cheap clearance games. With Circuit City in business still and selling great games at $4.99 and $1.99 eventually, then Best Buy following suit with a big $1.99 sale, and regular additional sales at $4.99 and $9.99. Sears was just starting to clearance video games super cheap and of course there was the TRU green tag clearance with lots of stuff at 90% off. Ahhhh, those were the good old days!

Back on topic, all the KMarts near me have become barren in the gaming area so I can't imagine there being very many great clearance deals. Also, the KMart and Sears websites are severely lacking in the variety department too so I don't see that branch of the business picking up either. It's only a matter of time for them to shut down.
The golden days of CAG, 2005-2009... I mean, even the Penny Guides have gone away.

bread's done
Back