Kmart OFFICIALLY PHASING OUT GAMES SECTION. 20% Off Games Accessories! Clearance DEALS INSIDE! Post your finds here!

Caffeinefree

CAGiversary!
EDIT - If you see any deals in your local Kmart post it in this thread. Spread the love. This post is no longer being curated so check the last post for YMMV local deals. 

20% OFF SALE ON NOW UNTIL THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. (*Gwarr... Brains...*)

NOTICE

I am no longer affiliated with Kmart, so this isn't getting any future updates. Stay tuned to the latest post in the comment section. THANKS!

I looked into the plan for this fire-sale, and apparently they'll be rolling out clearance deals for the whole section. So 20% off, then 50%, or whatever comes to pass. Looks like different regions are getting different sales sooner than others, as well as higher volume stores getting different sales than lower ones. IF YOU HAVE INSIDE INFO, POST IN THIS THREAD SO CAGS IN YOUR AREA CAN GET A HEADS UP.

TIPS & TRICKS

• All deals are YMMV.
  • Kmart bases it's clearance on how long an item has been in stock. It takes a few weeks, but even the most expensive items go on clearance.
  • ALWAYS ASK SOMEONE TO SCAN AN ITEM FOR YOU. Most older games are on clearance, but have not been labeled as such.
  • Lookout for "penny items", items that have been on shelf for so long they've been clearanced down to 0.01. They won't sell for that, but it's a great way to get GTA IV for $2.00, for example.
  • TAKE A PICTURE AND PRICE MATCH.  For Walmart and other retailers, this is all they need to price match. Make sure the label is clearly visible and don't forget to post it here and share the love. 

Background Info
So I am an employee of Kmart and happened to see this memo pass through my local store. I can't repeat it verbatim, and I couldn't get a picture of the message due to being constantly on camera.

Basically the memo stated the "exit strategy" for the games section in retail stores. Stating that this was in essence brought on by having overstocked shelves (bwa hahaha) and not enough customers. However Kmart.com, Sears.com, and Shopyourwayrewards.com, would continue to sell games and consoles to meet peoples needs. So they're switching focus from retail to online.

The message continued to explain to sell down merch and fill the empty space with other merch. Eventually to clearance out the whole section if it didn't sell down.

So firstly, wait. Just wait and deals will come.

As a customer I have to say that Kmart has had nothing but crappy deals for the past few years. (On games) Focusing on SYWR points and mediocre sales to bring in customers rather than staying competitive with Amazon, Walmart, and pretty much any retailer that will actually give a deep discount. Therefore they have shot themselves in the foot and driven away most business. As a result of that they face what I call "the burger problem".

When Kmart doesn't get games in to sell, they can't sell them. But instead of getting more stock I guess they just say "X person doesn't want Y game". This is just like a survey of a small town saying no one in the town likes burgers, because no one eats burgers. Only to find out there is nowhere to eat burgers in the first place.

Why doesn't Kmart get games to sell? I don't know if Kmart as a whole does this, or just my store, but we don't get games on a truck. We get them in sporadically via UPS, and never before release date. We get limited quantities and then get restocks oddly. Over the holidays I got dozens of calls for titles we wouldn't get in for weeks. During Christmas we only got a handful of Xbox Ones and no PS4s, and since then only one Wii U and one 3DS XL, which may have been returns. In short they could be making money, but there is just some really bad policies in place that leave plenty of customers walking out the door. 

Then on top of that we barely make any money in markup. We buy games basically at cost, given only a few dollars. I've seen games we bought for 58.50 selling for $60. Same for all peripherals, a 20 charger may have costed 12 for us. I was really shocked about this when I first started looking into it. Whereas other sections of the store have a markup that's understandable. 

So now after all this poor management, they're getting rid of what has always been the best part of the electronics section - games. I remember there being something said about "better serving our customer's needs", the problem in the first place was that they didn't serve our needs. For the most part they were poorly stocked, AND THIS HAS KILLED THEM THE MOST.

YMMV DEALS -  Post below if you find a deal in your area! Post here if you find a deal in your area! 

:360: Xbox 360 DEALS  :360:

Select titles 20+% off

:xb1: Xbox One Deals  :xb1:

Select titles 20+% off

:ps3: PS3 DEALS  :ps3:

Select titles 20+% off

:ps4: PS4 DEALS  :ps4:

Select titles 20+% off

:vita: VITA DEALS  :vita:

Select titles 20+% off

:wiiu: Wii U / Wii DEALS  :wii:

20%off

:3ds: 3DS / DS DEALS  :ds:

3DS XL - @190 @ 20%off

[+..••] Accessories DEALS [+..••]

Afterglow Universal Headset - $30

:xb1: Xbox One Charge Kit - $20

Giotek EX-05 Universal Headset - $20

Thanks again. Remember to post your deals in the comment section.  :)

EDIT - KMART CLEARANCE 2.1 thread, added consoles, added tips, condensed backstory down into spoiler, erected a sofa, planted seeds for world domination. Just check the last post for local deals.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Ending up getting Wolfenstein at the 30% for $20, not super since it's that used most places but not bad for new either (my Target has it clearance for $27 so).

Since it's 40% now may go just to check to make sure I didn't miss anything, for that price would love another charge and play since they seem to work well on the XB1 (as opposed to having tons of issues on the 360).

My local Kmart was 30% last week,  stopped in today and all of th clearance games are ringing up at the clearance prices with no discount now.  The employee at the counter said the sale ended this past Sunday.  They only have a few games left,  but a couple of WiiU titles I am sort of interested in if they are cheap.  Seems really silly that they would jack the price back up being that this is a fire sale.   Just thought I would pass this along in case someone was planning a trip to Kmart expecting a deal going forward.  I am assuming that every Kmart handles this differently.

I got Lego City Underground for $24 for Wii U.  I'm going to check out another Kmart nearby to see if they have any better games.  Last time I checked they had more selection than this store did...

I think Wind Waker HD is still sitting in my store. I'm hesitant to pick it up as I fear it's very likely to be a Platinum reward for Club Nintendo. No returns on this stuff because it's technically clearance? Or am I mistaken?
At the rate Wii U games drop in price you'd probably resell it if you couldn't return. There's a $25 Smash Bros 3DS at mine, debating it since there seem to be no Target or BB 3DS sales this Easter.

My local Kmart was 30% last week, stopped in today and all of th clearance games are ringing up at the clearance prices with no discount now. The employee at the counter said the sale ended this past Sunday. They only have a few games left, but a couple of WiiU titles I am sort of interested in if they are cheap. Seems really silly that they would jack the price back up being that this is a fire sale. Just thought I would pass this along in case someone was planning a trip to Kmart expecting a deal going forward. I am assuming that every Kmart handles this differently.
This explains it. Everything at my Kmart was clearance tagged at about 20-30% off, but there weren't any signs up anymore. Man, Kmart, even when you're TRYING to get rid of this stuff, you don't know how to sell your games.

The Kmart by my house (Crofton, MD) only had some PS3, 360, and Wii games left (RDR for PS3 scanned 11.20) most of the other games. Was in there last week and they had a few XB1 and PS4 games left. They also took away the locked glass case protecting the games too. 

My local store hit 40%.
Some games still not worth the price but picked up

Metro: Last Light $7
Bioshock Infinite for $5.50

I think South Park:SoT was $20
Wolfenstein was $16 and Dark Souls 2 for $25.

Very limited selection now.

I think Wind Waker HD is still sitting in my store. I'm hesitant to pick it up as I fear it's very likely to be a Platinum reward for Club Nintendo. No returns on this stuff because it's technically clearance? Or am I mistaken?
I returned a game I didn't want. No problems. Pick up Wind Waker! That game will probably go out of print soon. I was hoping my stores had 1 left but none did :whistle2:/

It looks like the percentage off has officially risen to 40%, at least judging from the locations in Nogales and Sierra Vista. Tempted to get Lego City Undercover (Wii U) when I have the cash.

I just got back from my store- it's at 40% for games and 25% for accessories.  Nothing for me, as the selection is dwindling and even at 40% most of the deals aren't very good.

Stopped at a Kmart in Mauldin, SC and they had some decent stuff left but horrible prices even with the extra 40% off. The Crew, Destiny, NHL 15, etc. all around $37
Better sales at Best Buy.

I didn't realize they still had some left in mauldin. The one near GHS was pretty much shutdown last time I was there.

I didn't realize they still had some left in mauldin. The one near GHS was pretty much shutdown last time I was there.
Yeah, they stuck them by a front register. I had to ask.

And I swear they must have had like 30 copies of the Michael Jackson experience on various platforms.

I went to check out my local Kmarts... wish I had done this before since everything is now gone. 

At the first, I found Sonic Colors and Lufia, both for the DS, for ~$15 total... all paid for with SYWR $. Pretty happy with those pick ups. At the second, they had nothing, outside of some newer games that were grossly overpriced and shovelware. 

I know Kmart sucks now but that's were we got our first system. Went there with my brother and uncle, seeing the wall of SNES/NES games... My uncle bought my brother and I a NES bundle w/ Super Mario Bros 3 and two controllers, since we couldn't afford anything back then. And he (my uncle) himself could only afford the NES. Still, I was super excited for it... until we got home and my brother basically laid claim to the system as his own. Asshole. 

This is actually bugging me.

The closest Kmart has some old Wii cards with the 25% off on them.. but claim they are ineligable due to being cards.

They also keep changing the prices.

Back in Feb the starter packs for Disney Infinity were $15 due to this deal.. they then went up to $22 with the discount and are now around $16....

Games say 40% off but it depends wholly on the game.. things like Destiny are still $35 with the discount, while others are more or less..

So I wonder if it is just the store, or the entire system messed up.

Picked up a copy of New Super Luigi U.

I picked it up mainly to annoy whoever had been hiding it under the counter for three months.

The K-Mart near me had a couple shovelware Kinect games and a copy of Wolfenstein: The New Order for Xbox One on "clearance" for $37. What a steal!

This is actually bugging me.

The closest Kmart has some old Wii cards with the 25% off on them.. but claim they are ineligable due to being cards.
Nothing they can do about it because of how the system works. We had some of those metal Day One XBL cards go on clearance at TRU, but you have to scan the unique barcode in to activate it, so it's locked into it's original price, maybe unless Nintendo/MS/Sony discount it on their end.

Oh man, I remember when K-Mart first went bankrupt and had their games on clearance. I bought like 15 games for $50, including the hack//G.U. games and Super Mario 64 DS. Most of them were 90% off MSRP. Then the store manager decided not to honor any great clearance prices again. See, it's your local manager that makes the decision whether or not to accept the clearance price or send it back to the warehouse.

Just stopped by on my way home from work and they had less then a dozen games left. One being the master chief collection for $57 clearance? The whole store is so run down it was depressing. I remember as a kid having my mom drive me there to pick up Final Fantasy 7 and Metal Gear Solid. Good times.

Nothing they can do about it because of how the system works. We had some of those metal Day One XBL cards go on clearance at TRU, but you have to scan the unique barcode in to activate it, so it's locked into it's original price, maybe unless Nintendo/MS/Sony discount it on their end.
My store actually has a huge stack of original Wii point cards but none of them activate at any of the registers.

Went to my super secret always comes through for me Kmart, looked around and said anything good? Kmart replied:

radPPKH.jpg

(that is an actual sign I saw in Kmart. Unrelated: I am posting a lot of pictures today.)

Kmart leaving video games is the final nail in my childhood coffin. My NES came from Montgomery Ward's. Most of my video games came from Hills (purchased by Ames, which is also out of business), Children's Palace (Toys R Us, but didn't suck) and the rest came from K-Mart. When Super Mario Bros 3 came out I was really sick. A couple days after release my grandparents when everywhere looking for it and the game was sold out. Hills, Walmart, Children's Palace, Electronics's Boutique, Baggage's, Toys R Us all sold out. Then they hit Kmart and they had it! The checkout guy said they had plenty, they knew how great the demand would be. The question is: did Kmart spen the last 15 years going from understanding the market to becoming completely clueless or even in 1988 they had no idea what they are doing and either over ordered or had so few video game customers they couldn't even sell the biggest game (at the time) ever released.

Kresge was a Michigan-based company, so I'm pretty familiar with the place. K-Mart had a reputation for being behind the times... walk into one and it's like you've stepped twenty years into the past. They hired a new CEO to fix the company's problems back in 2000 but he put a lot of money into advertising and his own pocket, leaving the stores only slightly better off than they were. I remember working there back in, uh, 2001, I think, and it had a really soulless corporate atmosphere. You had to put your store number on your lunch (name optional) when you put it in the break room fridge, and employees were spread thin across multiple departments and generally stressed out. I got into a stand off with a megalomaniacal manager and I think I've been blacklisted from working there. (Not shedding any tears over that!)

But yeah, K-Mart has been decaying for years, and there's very little the store can do to turn itself around. It just seems eager to drag as many other companies into bankruptcy with it as it can, as evidence by the Sears merger. That was probably the end result of an attempt to keep K-Mart solvent on the back of a more successful business, because heaven forbid Wall Street ever take its lumps after it screws up.

This would be a great clearance sale but since the prices we have are % off the atrocious "Clearance Prices" it doesn't turn out great. Stupid things like Far Cry 4 on clearance for $57

45% off games and 30% off Accesories at the Hopkinsville, Ky. Store today
Same here in Hastings, NE, though for some reason people are buying these games at prices that are still not good at all, so the selection is getting smaller and smaller but the deals are barely getting any better.

Got Anarchy Reigns for $4.65 in SYWR points at my Kmart in Devon, PA. They still have a lot of RDR and Skylanders stuff left.

I also saw this near the electronics-hurry and get your preorders for Call of Duty Ghosts!

Vt6h9c1.jpg

I have a Kmart literally 10 mins walking distance from my apartment, but the experience there is always so completely fucking miserable that I can't even bring myself to walk in there to check out the gaming stuff.   I went in like 3 weeks ago and the prices were still so high it was a joke so I don't think I'm missing anything.

Pretty decent find today, I found RE Archives and RE Archives Zero for $1.09 each. They were marked with the yellow tag as $17.99, so I was thinking they'd be like $10 each.:) 

So what would probably be the next drop? The current 45% expires tonight, so tomorrow should have another drop.

There was still an Evil Within for the Xbox One, Tomodachi Life, and Bravely Default left. Would nab them at 65%, doubt it'll hit 65%, more than likely it'll be 55%.

I was out of town yesterday and stopped by a Kmart and they still had a Zelda Windwaker HD so I got that for $26.50. There's one near my work today that I may stop at just to see what % off it goes too, last I remember they didn't have anything I wanted.

I scanned an infinity 2.0 set and it still was like $50, store really didn't have anything else except over 20 copies of just dance 2015 I think.

bread's done
Back