Official Representative
I am very easy to reach on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/KmartGamer

Kmartgamer 1.0 = 10,508 replies/663,642 views
Kmartgamer 2.0 = 9,828 replies/538,327 views
Kmartgamer 3.0 = 7,215 replies/549,496 views
Kmartgamer 4.0 = 7,436 replies/503,006 views
Kmartgamer 5.0 = 7,344 replies/517,314 views

www.KmartGamer.com (Blog is effective in all locations)

To receive gaming coupons you must be a Shop Your Way Rewards member. It's free and only takes a couple of minutes to sign up in store.

September 18th through the 24th:
link to blog post

:360: Buy any version of Gears of War 3, get a $20 gaming coupon.
Deal will work with Limited and Epic Editions.
Coupon valid from September 25 to November 5.

:360::ps3: Shadows of the Damned $29.99

Kmart Weekly Ad: (Circulars not effective in all stores, NYC and Offshore in particular - Savings coupon offers effective everywhere)

September 18th through the 24th:

:360: Buy the limited edition Gears of War 320GB Xbox 360 system for $399.99, get Gears of War Triple Pack for free.

:360: Buy any version of Gears of War 3 and a 12-month Xbox Live Gold subscription card, get $30 off the price of the 12-month Gold card.
Deal will work with Limited and Epic Editions.

:360: Turtle Beach Ear Force X12 headset $44.99

:360: Halo ODST $9.99

:360::ps3: Brink $19.99

:360: Halo Reach $29.99

Shop Your Way Rewards:

It's a wiki, please update. This portion of the OP is for anyone who notices a SYWR offer. These offers can be very targeted (Geo, User, etc.) so anything placed needs to be validated.

Coming Soon:

All titles listed below I am working on offers for and the dates I think they are coming out.

9-20 :360: Gears of War 3 $20 Gaming coupon + Buy game & 12-month Gold card, get $30 off 12-month Gold card.
9-27 :360::ps3: X-Men Destiny $15 Gaming coupon
9-27 :360::ps3: FIFA Soccer 12 $20 Gaming coupon
9-27 :ps3: Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection $15 Gaming coupon
10-4 :360::ps3: Spiderman: Edge of Time
10-4 :360::ps3: Rage
10-4 :360::ps3: Dark Souls
10-4 :360::ps3: NBA 2k12
10-11 :360::ps3: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
10-11 :360: Forza 4
10-11 :360::ps3: Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
10-11 :wii::360::ps3: Just Dance 3
10-11 :360::ps3: RockSmith
10-16 :wii::360: Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
10-17 :ds: Professor Layton and the Last Specter
10-18 :ps3: Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One
10-18 :360::ps3: Batman Arkham City
10-24 :3ds: Pokemon Rumble Blast
10-25 :wii::360::ps3: Disney Universe
10-25 :360::ps3: Battlefield 3
10-25 :360::ps3: Silent Hill Downpour
10-25 :360: Dance Central 2
10-25 :360: Kinect Sports 2
11-1 :360::ps3: James Bond: Goldeneye 007 Reloaded
11-1 :360::ps3: Sonic Generations
11-1 :ps3: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
11-1 :360::ps3: Lord of the Rings: War in the North
11-8 :360::ps3: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
11-8 :360::ps3: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
11-11 :360::ps3: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
11-13 :3ds: Super Mario 3D Land
11-15 :360::ps3: Need for Speed: The Run
11-15 :ps3: Silent Hill HD Collection
11-15 :360: Halo Anniversary
11-15 :wii: Mario and Sonic London 2012
11-15 :3ds: Shinobi
11-15 :360::ps3: Saint's Row: The Third
11-15 :360::ps3: Assassin's Creed: Revelations
11-15 :360::ps3: Rayman Origins
11-20 :wii: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
11-22 :ps3: Tekken Hybrid
11-22 :360::ps3: WWE 12
12-11 :3ds: Mario Kart 7
2012 TBA :3ds: Kid Icarus

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, EA failed to market the title at all. I saw more ads for Duke Nukem and FEAR 3 than SOTD. But I guess anything is more than 0.

Shame.

In 10 years, we'll have our choice of sports, COD, or kids games.

I can see the game having poor to average sales, since it's not exactly household name material (I recall mentioning it to fellow gamers when it released, and even they hadn't heard of the game). But 24,000 is ridiculous.

[quote name='Scorch']This is why we can't have nice things.

This is why fewer and fewer developers are trying to start up new IP's. This is why you're going to see Call of Duty 32 and Halo 48. This is why I hate the current state of gaming.[/QUOTE]

Conversely, it's hard to ask people to plunk down $60 on a game with no history. I'm not saying that the game is bad or doesn't deserve sales, but people are basically taking a chance (and yes I know that the developer has a history of good games, but to the average gamer that means squat) on a title, and $60 is a bit pricey for a gamble.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Shadows of The Damned sold 24,000 copies on PS3 + Xbox combined. Ouch.[/QUOTE]
And people complain about having nothing but sequels. This is something gamers bring upon themselves. So disappointing, and with some great names behind it too. I wonder if EA does the advertising under the EA Partners label or not; maybe they just distribute?

Guess we know which game will be getting a lot of price cuts and discounts soon...

So, still no news on what the No More Heroes deal is going to be?

Also, guys. Those NPD numbers for SotD are from June. Do you know when SotD came out? June 21st, meaning those numbers only count a week and a half that the game was out, all in all for a niche game with ZERO advertising... can't say it was a whimper. Sadly, it probably isn't going to sell well because gamers today are morons who refuse to break away from the super big titles. But EA are the real morons for not advertising the game AT ALL.

fuck you, EA.

Shadows of the Damned wasn't going to sell big numbers no matter what.

Realistically there are probably less than 50,000 people in north america who are ever going to buy a niche game like that. I'd be surprised to see Catherine, El Shaddai, or any other number of unique, japanese developed games sell more.

Selling 50,000 units of something when it was a super nintendo game that cost a fraction of what it costs to make games now wasn't a problem.

The problem is that the market for non sports/kids/modern warfare/blockbuster franchise games is too small to support innovation in the "big leagues" of the console market.

do you really want me to type up a description for you instead of going to your google search results or are you just trying to be clever?

[quote name='jer7583']Shadows of the Damned wasn't going to sell big numbers no matter what.

Realistically there are probably less than 50,000 people in north america who are ever going to buy a niche game like that. I'd be surprised to see Catherine, El Shaddai, or any other number of unique, japanese developed games sell more.
[/QUOTE]

The IGN review for catherine has 130,000 views on youtube alone. I think you're severely underestimating the audience for games like this. People said the same shit about Demon's Souls.

Shadows just hasn't received the kind of PR that it needed. It's a great game that should appeal to a pretty wide audience of Americans, but most of them don't even know it exists.

The problem IMO is that studios set games like this up to fail. They release niche games with the mindset that they will only see small sales. Many of the "small" titles could be huge if properly marketed, but the risk is too great when that extra million could simply be thrown at a behemoth franchise like CoD.

[quote name='jer7583']do you really want me to type up a description for you instead of going to your google search results or are you just trying to be clever?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the offer but just read up on it on IGN. I guess it would have a market for some gamers (although not for me particularly).

[quote name='fujimitsu']Shadows just hasn't received the kind of PR that it needed. It's a great game that should appeal to a pretty wide audience of Americans, but most of them don't even know it exists.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I'd go as far as calling SotD a "great" game. I enjoyed it for the most part but it does have its share of flaws. Many of the boss fights are tedious, the graphics are subpar, the sniping section is just not fun, the humor is very hit and miss (I enjoyed most of it) and it's over in 8 hours or so with little to no replay value. I regret dropping $60 on it even though I got a $15 coupon along with it.

Catherine is something I am definitely skipping. Played the demo and just didn't enjoy the gameplay that much. The whole premise of the game doesn't really appeal to me either.

[quote name='fujimitsu']The IGN review for catherine has 130,000 views on youtube alone. I think you're severely underestimating the audience for games like this.[/QUOTE]

Catherine has had a lot of publicity because of the sex angle. I don't think a game like that is going to sell in north america but people will watch the review to see what all of the controversy was about.

One reason I passed on Shadows of the Damned (besides a bit of backlog), is more because it's about an eight hour game with basically no replay value. To me, that screams for me to wait until it's in the 20-30 range before I try it. I don't mind trying more niche titles and I do plan to get Catherine because the demo really intrigued me, but to ask me to plunk down $60 for such a short gaming experience is a bit much.

Think that's also the problem of gaming today: most $60 have short gameplay. Guess companies are more focused on multiplayer than single player campaigns. Look at FEAR 3 for example. Short single player campaign but awesome multiplayer modes.

Anyways, back on topic: This is a first that I haven't bought anything at KMart for awhile. I acknowledged that it might be a slow period for new releases in gaming but I'm looking forward what Josh has up his sleeves in sales for this remaining summer.

[quote name='fujimitsu']The IGN review for catherine has 130,000 views on youtube alone. I think you're severely underestimating the audience for games like this. [/QUOTE]

But of those 130,000 how many will buy it? A very small fraction.

[quote name='joshrocker']Catherine has had a lot of publicity because of the sex angle. I don't think a game like that is going to sell in north america but people will watch the review to see what all of the controversy was about.[/QUOTE]

No, Catherine has had a lot of publicity because it's the first HD game from the Persona team, and before it was first announced, it was rumored to be Persona 5. Add in the fact that Shoji Meguro did the soundtrack and you've got an instant buy from some people. I was planning on buying it based on those two things alone, before I even knew what the game was.

[quote name='Zerok']No, Catherine has had a lot of publicity because it's the first HD game from the Persona team, and before it was first announced, it was rumored to be Persona 5. Add in the fact that Shoji Meguro did the soundtrack and you've got an instant buy from some people. I was planning on buying it based on those two things alone, before I even knew what the game was.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The Persona team does some of the best RPGs (even against some of the bigger Western studios). Persona 3, for me, still remains one of the best gaming stories I've ever played. Then Shoji Meguro's music is simply incredible. Unlike other games that tries to go for some insanely action-y music or Gregorian chants, Meguro's stuff tends to be more on the jazz and R&B side. It sounds strange but it works.

[quote name='Scorch']This is why we can't have nice things.

This is why fewer and fewer developers are trying to start up new IP's. This is why you're going to see Call of Duty 32 and Halo 48. This is why I hate the current state of gaming.[/QUOTE]

In fairness, if they had left out all the ridiculous dick jokes then maybe the game would have had broader appeal. I think games like Bulletstorm, Duke Nukem and SoTD are just showing developers that they don't quite understand the gaming demographic anymore.

The non-CoD crowd is looking for fun games and games with more mature themes, not dick jokes and gratuitous use of profanity just for the hell of it.

[quote name='Zerok']No, Catherine has had a lot of publicity because it's the first HD game from the Persona team, and before it was first announced, it was rumored to be Persona 5. Add in the fact that Shoji Meguro did the soundtrack and you've got an instant buy from some people. I was planning on buying it based on those two things alone, before I even knew what the game was.[/QUOTE]

The general gaming public does not give a shit about anything you just mentioned.

[quote name='biledriver']In fairness, if they had left out all the ridiculous dick jokes then maybe the game would have had broader appeal. I think games like Bulletstorm, Duke Nukem and SoTD are just showing developers that they don't quite understand the gaming demographic anymore.

The non-CoD crowd is looking for fun games and games with more mature themes, not dick jokes and gratuitous use of profanity just for the hell of it.[/QUOTE]

Lighten up, Francis.

As a guy who knows nothing about Catherine besides what little I've seen, I had no clue any of those things were true. Also, I couldn't care less about any of those facts as your typical American gamer doesn't either. I see Catherine as a sex charged game. If they've tried to show otherwise, they have failed thus far.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']The general gaming public does not give a shit about anything you just mentioned.[/QUOTE]

The general gaming public also does not care about Catherine. I'd say most of the people who visit this site and others like it do not fall into that category. Also, there are a bunch of games with sex in them released in Japan every year, why is this one any different? Why was this one more heavily covered in the press and talked about before it was even announced for localization in America?

[quote name='advanced']As a guy who knows nothing about Catherine besides what little I've seen, I had no clue any of those things were true. Also, I couldn't care less about any of those facts as your typical American gamer doesn't either. I see Catherine as a sex charged game. If they've tried to show otherwise, they have failed thus far.[/QUOTE]

It can be said that the "typical American gamer" doesn't care about anything outside of CoD, Halo, Madden, etc. Like I've said though, I think most of the people who come here don't really fall in that category, and those are the people that Atlus is marketing Catherine at. The more enthusiast side of things, who follow dev teams/studios and such.

Also, from what I've heard, all the sex in Catherine is implied, and there's little to no nudity. I will say that I don't really know how Atlus has been marketing this game, as I've been staying away from it because I don't really need to be sold on it. I preordered it because of the reasons I've already said. The only advertising I'm aware of though are a few trailers that have been released, and one can hardly judge a game on a few trailers.

I just got the weekly ad for next week 7/17 to 7/23.

No video game sales were in the ad.

The only video game items in the ad are at MSRP:
:360::ps3: Call of Juarez: The Cartel $59.99
:360::ps3: NCAA Football 12 $59.99

[quote name='Zerok']The general gaming public also does not care about Catherine. I'd say most of the people who visit this site and others like it do not fall into that category. [/QUOTE]

I want cheap video games, therefore I am into anime and Japanese games?

[quote name='Zerok']Also, there are a bunch of games with sex in them released in Japan every year, why is this one any different? Why was this one more heavily covered in the press and talked about before it was even announced for localization in America?[/quote]

There are a bunch of American games released every year with sex in them, so what? This is being heavily covered in the internet press because websites like Kotaku attract otaku. I haven't seen much mention of this title on websites like IGN.

[quote name='Zerok']It can be said that the "typical American gamer" doesn't care about anything outside of CoD, Halo, Madden, etc.[/QUOTE]

Typical American Gamer =/= Typical Casual Gamer, the same way that Japanese people =/= Smart at math.

[quote name='Zerok']Like I've said though, I think most of the people who come here don't really fall in that category, and those are the people that Atlus is marketing Catherine at. The more enthusiast side of things, who follow dev teams/studios and such.[/QUOTE]

Again, just because somebody wants to video game on the cheap doesn't make them interested in Atlus games, or Persona 3, or heavily stylized Japanese games.

[quote name='Zerok']Also, from what I've heard, all the sex in Catherine is implied, and there's little to no nudity. I will say that I don't really know how Atlus has been marketing this game, as I've been staying away from it because I don't really need to be sold on it. ... The only advertising I'm aware of though are a few trailers that have been released, and one can hardly judge a game on a few trailers.[/quote]

Until a demo is released, which it was recently, a trailer and buzz is all we have to go on, so yes, one can judge a game based on the trailer. That buzz, as you stated, is directed at a certain market, and thus can be judged on by that. The same way that movies and TV shows have trailers and can be judged on by them, video games can be. You can't expect everybody to buy every game at $60 to make a judgement.

There are a bunch of American games released every year with sex in them, so what? This is being heavily covered in the internet press because websites like Kotaku attract otaku. I haven't seen much mention of this title on websites like IGN.

It's taking up the second spot in their front page marquee, and it was first yesterday.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']The general gaming public does not give a shit about anything you just mentioned.[/QUOTE]

I agree. If I, who is far from the general gamer never heard of this till now, most gamers will never hear of it.

Everything you just mentioned is only going to be known by western gamers that are into this "niche" (and that's a small group). Because of the sex angle I had actully heard of this game. I think the first time I took note is when I saw an article that stated a certain version (collectors edition maybe?) would include a pair of women's panties.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='joshrocker']Everything you just mentioned is only going to be known by western gamers that are into this "niche" (and that's a small group). Because of the sex angle I had actully heard of this game. I think the first time I took note is when I saw an article that stated a certain version (collectors edition maybe?) would include a pair of women's panties.[/QUOTE]

It's actually the boxer shorts of the main protagonist, Vincent.

To the off topic police: Is discussion about Catherine, a game confirmed to not be sold at Kmart, more, less, or equally off topic than the state of PC gaming to the general public?

just sayin' ;)

[quote name='yesokyesok']No deals this week?[/QUOTE]

i dont think u should expect much for july but hopefully they'll be abck soon

[quote name='hostyl1']To the off topic police: Is discussion about Catherine, a game confirmed to not be sold at Kmart, more, less, or equally off topic than the state of PC gaming to the general public?

just sayin' ;)[/QUOTE]
i will say that its more off topic lol, but of course, u could argue that josh's (or... whoever's) decision to not stock catherine has brought up teh reasoning of y is it not stocked? which is that it's niche, and then this spawns the argument of how well it'll do and what makes it niche and wat not. u get the picture, so, how OT is this? ur choice lol

[quote name='Greendomo']Josh, Target has Cars 2 and a few other games for $37 next week, any chance you'll be offering a similar deal? I'd love to use my Zelda coupon to get Cars 2 before it expires![/QUOTE]

Believe Josh mentioned a Cars 2 deal sometime in August but don't remember which page the post was on.

Alright, since this is wildly off topic, and I'm starting to see my words being twisted, this shall be my last post on the subject and I shall just stick to the facts. It's also starting to dip into generalizations about people, and I hate labels.

[quote name='advanced']This is being heavily covered in the internet press because websites like Kotaku attract otaku. I haven't seen much mention of this title on websites like IGN.[/QUOTE]

First off, there are at least two things on the front page of IGN right now that have to do with Catherine, and one is a big banner that is the first thing you see on the main page. Secondly, a search for articles about the game brings up 14 results. The first of which dates back to August 19, 2010, which is about 11 months ago. Secondly, which goes back to my original point, the titles of the first two articles are:

Persona Team Readying First HD Title, Catherine
Persona Team's First HD Game Hits Japan in February

So if no one really knows or cares that it's being made by the Persona team, then why throw that into the title of said articles? But let's leave IGN alone and look at an actual good website, Joystiq. Which has, well I didn't count all the stories, but it's a bunch. For it to be a niche game, it sure has received a lot of coverage.

Until a demo is released, which it was recently, a trailer and buzz is all we have to go on, so yes, one can judge a game based on the trailer. That buzz, as you stated, is directed at a certain market, and thus can be judged on by that. The same way that movies and TV shows have trailers and can be judged on by them, video games can be. You can't expect everybody to buy every game at $60 to make a judgement.

Usually, yes, except for games that have been released in other places before America. This game has been out in Japan since February, so there is no shortage of information about this game out there. I can go on youtube right now and watch the entire game! Not to mention that Giant Bomb has two quick looks of the game, one of an import copy from a few months ago, and the other a look at the english version of the game with one of the guys from Atlus. In summary, when it comes to these things, google is your friend.

Back on topic, wasn't there talk of a Shadows of the Damned deal? I was hoping that would go up before my Alice coupon is set to expire.

All the people saying SotD is an 8 hour game must be excellent gamers who rushed through the game, or people who played on Easy. My first run of the game was 11 hours. But yes, its replay value is non-existent. You have to beat the game 3 times (difficulty doesn't stake) and collect hidden gems to 100% it, but many would argue that being "replay value."

got to agree, the Catherine buzz is NOT because of the 'sex angle', but because of the Persona pedigree. Each individual will take away whatever they'll take away (be it the 'sex angle' or the 'pedigree') but that's just what you remember/think about it, not the 'cause' of the attention.

it doesn't matter if the average gamer has even heard of Persona -- because the core gaming community the blogs cater to does. And so they cover it. And cover it.

Demon's Souls is a perfect example -- all you ever heard about after it 'hit' was how 'hard' it was. But while that's what was being covered, it's not why it was covered. It was covered because it had reams of geek cred -- people were importing the hell out of it long before it was released domestically, and raving about it in various gaming forums. That's why the media picked up on it, and they chose to focus on the 'difficultly' angle in their coverage. But to say it was originally focused on because it was hard would be mistaken. Same with Catherine - it's all about the pedigree.

[quote name='Zerok'] Lots of text.[/QUOTE]

End of the day, 14 articles at IGN pales in comparison, to their output, to Kotaku's 74, considering their output of articles. And just because you don't like a website for some reason doesn't make it "bad". IGN is highly respected in the industry. Blogs like Joystiq and Kotaku pitch to the hardcore, while websites like IGN pitch to everyone.

All in all, a good chunk, and possibly the majority, of American gamers have never heard of Persona. They're being told its a sexual game, whether anybody wants to believe it or not, based on what little advertising its had. This game is going to sell as well as a box of rocks to a quarry owner.

[quote name='Buuhan1']All the people saying SotD is an 8 hour game must be excellent gamers who rushed through the game, or people who played on Easy. My first run of the game was 11 hours. But yes, its replay value is non-existent. You have to beat the game 3 times (difficulty doesn't stake) and collect hidden gems to 100% it, but many would argue that being "replay value."[/QUOTE]

I was saying 8 hours based on everything I heard and read about it, but 11 hours is not all that much more. I'm glad you liked it, but I will wait for it to hit a lower price as I feel I'm not getting the value for my money at $60.

[quote name='akuma77']you idiots talking about catherine can go fuck yourselves.

quit ruining the forums[/QUOTE]

That's pretty mean. I know it's established fact way way back that k-mart is not going to carry it. I've no qualm with the decision, the reps think this game will not sell. But it's no different from people talking about crappy games that k-marts do carry (should I buy this? is this game worth $30 with $10 coupon?)

As I pointed out earlier, there should be a list of games k-mart is not going to carry, including the CEs, this way people will know and it will probably eliminate a lot of questions/posts.

Another thing is that, the k-mart thread is full of mundane posts, you can't find any useful information anyway! So what people talk about Catherine? Believe it or not, I find the Catherine posts informational, I learned a few things I didn't know before.

I only reads the first page and occasionally the last page just to check what's new that's not posted on the first page.

[quote name='nzgc']no deal for super soldier? guess i'll just watch the movie[/QUOTE]

Kmart decided not to carry any it per a previous post from Josh that's buried somewhere in the forum. Same goes with Thor, and Green Lantern.

Can anyone confirm that LA Noire is $34.99 this week?

I ask because it says $59.99 on their website and this post says that this particular deal took place last week. Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back