SHC-Gamer

Official Representative
Like me on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/SHCGamer

Kmartgamer 1.0 = 10,508 replies/663,642 views
Kmartgamer 2.0 = 9,828 replies/538,327 views
Kmartgamer 3.0 = 7,215 replies/549,496 views
Kmartgamer 4.0 = 7,436 replies/503,006 views

www.KmartGamer.com (Blog is effective in all locations)

To receive gaming coupons you must be a Shop Your Way Reward member. It's free and only takes a couple of minutes to sign up in store.

May 22nd through the 28th: (Light week, believe me, I need it!)

:360::ps3: Enslaved $14.99 (Reg. $19.99)
xbox360.gif
ps3.gif
Splatterhouse $19.99 (Reg. $39.99)
:360::ps3: Dirt 3 $15 Gaming Coupon
:pc: Civilization 5 $29.99 (Reg. $49.99) Not available in all stores, recommend calling ahead.

Kmart Weekly Ad: (Circulars not effective in all stores, NYC and Offshore in particular - Savings coupon offers effective everywhere)

May 22nd through the 28th:

:360: Xbox 360 4GB Kinect Bundle $60 Gaming Coupon ($299.99)
:360: Kinect Sensor $25 Gaming Coupon ($149.99)
:360: Halo Reach $39.99 ($59.99)

Coming Soon:

To receive gaming coupons you must be a Shop Your Way Reward member. It's free and only takes a couple of minutes to sign up in store.

:360::ps3: 5-31 Hunted Demon Forge $15 Gaming Coupon

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='confoosious']What logic do you have that leads you to believe that Catherine has more buzz than Hunted?

Brand awareness of your average gamer of Atlus vs Bethesda?

What sounds better to the average gamer, fighting demons or solving puzzles with sheep men?[/QUOTE]
To be honest though, I haven't seen any buzz outside of CAG for Hunted. No one's really talking about it, while at least Catherine has turned heads with what appears to be a rather interesting story. At the very least, I think Catherine can definitely sell more than the random Nintendo shovelware that no one cares about or even knows exists that was mentioned a few pages earlier by a K-Mart employee, and K-Mart stocks that for some reason :)

not gaming related, but is there a 24 hour kmart?

Just curious that's all. None of the kmart around here are 24/7

[quote name='ithebigc']To be honest though, I haven't seen any buzz outside of CAG for Hunted. No one's really talking about it, while at least Catherine has turned heads with what appears to be a rather interesting story. At the very least, I think Catherine can definitely sell more than the random Nintendo shovelware that no one cares about or even knows exists that was mentioned a few pages earlier by a K-Mart employee, and K-Mart stocks that for some reason :)[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying that Hunted is gonna do great. But it's got a wider appeal than Catherine. I'm looking forward to Catherine much more than Hunted but I'm not sure I'm your average video game kmart shopper.

It's not about how great the game is. 999 is one of the best DS games I've ever played and it probably sold 1/10 of what Party Imagine Babyz did.

Just got Brink from kmart and the coupon did not print. Two other guys went with me and the coupon did not print for them either. I guess this would be a reason for me to email josh?

Though I must say I was impressed with the amount of work being put into the video game department, two guys were back there rearranging all the games at midnight.

[quote name='Malibu_Barbie']Just got Brink from kmart and the coupon did not print. Two other guys went with me and the coupon did not print for them either. I guess this would be a reason for me to email josh?

Though I must say I was impressed with the amount of work being put into the video game department, two guys were back there rearranging all the games at midnight.[/QUOTE]

The registers do not update until 6 am. I see you are new so you most likely did not know. It happened a lot to people when Josh first started but now most of us know to not buy at midnight.

Edit:Wait...I see now you are not THAT new. Anyway, no midnight day 1 purchases on coupon deals. I am sure Josh can right the ship. Better yet I would return and rebuy if you have not opened it yet.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Brink just got torn a new one by Joystiq. Sounds like there's some major balancing issues, and coupled with the "teamwork or die" required for multiplayer, I'm really hesitant now. I may just wait for LA Noire and skip this one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah 2/5 from Joystiq, 2/5 from G4, D from 1UP, 6 from IGN. There are some positive reviews but it is starting to look like another MOH situation. I finally got MOH for $13 and I HATED the Multiplayer. With basically no single player to redeem itself (MOH was not that bad) I am just not willing to jump on this day 1. My coupon train is either LA Noire-Infamous or LA Noire-Duke Nukem depending on what Josh has for us.

[quote name='cancerman1120']The registers do not update until 6 am. I see you are new so you most likely did not know. It happened a lot to people when Josh first started but now most of us know to not buy at midnight.

Edit:Wait...I see now you are not THAT new. Anyway, no midnight day 1 purchases on coupon deals. I am sure Josh can right the ship. Better yet I would return and rebuy if you have not opened it yet.[/QUOTE]

I have bought several games at midnight and received the deal. Homefront, Call of Duty Black Ops, Fallout New Vegas, and Medal of Honor. And while I can't remember the deal on all of them (whether it was points or a coupon) but I do remember that the Medal of Honor one was a $20 coupon.

So yes at least at some places they do work at midnight.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Brink just got torn a new one by Joystiq. Sounds like there's some major balancing issues, and coupled with the "teamwork or die" required for multiplayer, I'm really hesitant now. I may just wait for LA Noire and skip this one.[/QUOTE]

"Teamwork or die" really kills it for me. Probably going to skip everything this week and wait for L.A. Noire and Witcher 2. Most likely get Lego Pirates when the price drops.

[quote name='Malibu_Barbie']I have bought several games at midnight and received the deal. Homefront, Call of Duty Black Ops, Fallout New Vegas, and Medal of Honor. And while I can't remember the deal on all of them (whether it was points or a coupon) but I do remember that the Medal of Honor one was a $20 coupon.

So yes at least at some places they do work at midnight.[/QUOTE]

Well I stand corrected I guess. :)

[quote name='Malibu_Barbie']I have bought several games at midnight and received the deal. Homefront, Call of Duty Black Ops, Fallout New Vegas, and Medal of Honor. And while I can't remember the deal on all of them (whether it was points or a coupon) but I do remember that the Medal of Honor one was a $20 coupon.

So yes at least at some places they do work at midnight.[/QUOTE]
Did you buy those games after the deal initiated?

[quote name='vlv723']Every critic seems to be still drinking the Call of Duty Kool-Aid.[/QUOTE]

Did you read the reviews? Most were very specific in their criticisms about the game's design.

I feel like this was a statement made simply to defend something you have a high intention of purchasing, which you will likely be unable to cite any evidence for, either in tone or through direct comparison in what these critics you reference have been writing.

Because of that your opinion is not well thought through nor does it seem consistent with the evidence at hand. I don't think that other people should listen to you.

[quote name='vlv723']Every critic seems to be still drinking the Call of Duty Kool-Aid.[/QUOTE]

Only games that can touch it as FPS's on console are Halo and Battlefield. Problem is I can't get any of my friends to play anything but CoD, maybe a bit of Battlefield, but it's always back to CoD eventually.

I was hoping Homefront was going to be my Battlefield of the spring but it's issues at launched caused all of my friends and myself to abandon it, plus no new maps for it for several months.

In before Wombat says he was right (he pretty much trashed the game at the big Bethesda event he went to in NYC that was held in March or April.

T-minus 1 week for LA Noire!

[quote name='ithebigc']To be honest though, I haven't seen any buzz outside of CAG for Hunted. No one's really talking about it, while at least Catherine has turned heads with what appears to be a rather interesting story. At the very least, I think Catherine can definitely sell more than the random Nintendo shovelware that no one cares about or even knows exists that was mentioned a few pages earlier by a K-Mart employee, and K-Mart stocks that for some reason :)[/QUOTE]
Don't underestimate random Nintendo shovelware, lest we forget the grim lessons taught to us by that most unholy of shovelware titles, Just Dance. :p

[quote name='jer7583']Did you read the reviews? Most were very specific in their criticisms about the game's design.

Because of that your opinion is not well thought through nor does it seem consistent with the evidence at hand. I don't think that other people should listen to you.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a professional reviewer/critic and yes I read the IGN review and some other reviews via metacritic. It seems like the well known sites are giving it neutral to negative reviews. And man, you were too strong about the "I don't think that other people should listen to you." Then again, no one does anyway IRL which then causes me to do more work because of screw ups.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Only games that can touch it as FPS's on console are Halo and Battlefield. Problem is I can't get any of my friends to play anything but CoD, maybe a bit of Battlefield, but it's always back to CoD eventually.

In before Wombat says he was right (he pretty much trashed the game at the big Bethesda event he went to in NYC that was held in March or April.
[/QUOTE]

Just like Rift when it came out. I had a free weekend to play around with it and even though it was a great game, I eventually went back playing WoW.

That said, I guess I was harsh on my past post. Sometimes, I feel that a game that plays like a far superior game will get ragged. This game is going to drop like a rock. Maybe a sale price of $39.99 is on the horizon in 2-3 weeks. My $45 coupon is safe this week. Then again, always decide your buying decision with your wallet.

[quote name='vlv723']I'm not a professional reviewer/critic and yes I read the IGN review and some other reviews via metacritic. It seems like the well known sites are giving it neutral to negative reviews. And man, you were too strong about the "I don't think that other people should listen to you." Then again, no one does anyway IRL which then causes me to do more work because of screw ups.
[/QUOTE]

http://api.twitter.com/#!/griffinmcelroy/status/67809140407410689

Going to IGN for your reviews is your first mistake. Joystiq and GiantBomb do the best job evaluating stuff, imo. No 6-10 scales there.

This is the best so far on metacritic for Brink
3DJuegos (I know nothing of this site)
May 10, 2011

The game is lovely to the eye because of its artistic decisions, has a gameplay that supports cooperative working, and has huge customization variety. But its lack of contents, poor performance and its online-only focus makes Brink not so great.

And yet they gave it an 81? I mean how do you write that sentence and then give it an 81? We have too many games bunched up at 8 that it is hard to really know which ones are diamonds in the ruff and actually bad games. We need the reviewers to start giving out more 6s and 7s so us gamers are not duped into spending $60 on half ass titles. But what do I know...they are all washing each others hands most of the time anyway.

[quote name='cancerman1120']This is the best so far on metacritic for Brink
3DJuegos (I know nothing of this site)
May 10, 2011

The game is lovely to the eye because of its artistic decisions, has a gameplay that supports cooperative working, and has huge customization variety. But its lack of contents, poor performance and its online-only focus makes Brink not so great.

And yet they gave it an 81? I mean how do you write that sentence and then give it an 81? We have too many games bunched up at 8 that it is hard to really know which ones are diamonds in the ruff and actually bad games. We need the reviewers to start giving out more 6s and 7s so us gamers are not duped into spending $60 on half ass titles. But what do I know...they are all washing each others hands most of the time anyway.[/QUOTE]

That's why it's always important to read the text. The numbers are just there in most cases to please the publishers, I think.

Or rely on sites like GiantBomb that only review stuff they find worth their time and also do lengthy video/talking sessions on the game. They have a 45 min quick look at brink. That should be more than enough to get you to understand what the game is about.

[quote name='jer7583']That's why it's always important to read the text. The numbers are just there in most cases to please the publishers, I think.

Or rely on sites like GiantBomb that only review stuff they find worth their time and also do lengthy video/talking sessions on the game. They have a 45 min quick look at brink. That should be more than enough to get you to understand what the game is about.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I try to read as many of the articles as I can. I think I am mostly upset because I thought this was a lock buy for me and now I am debating what the heck to do. I will most likely wait since there seems to be "something" off about the game. I did just read that the guy who did the Joystiq review may have only spent a few hours with the game. Some other reviewer at Vodoo Extreme posted pics of Joystiq reviewer's gamerscore and that showed he never beat any part of the game. He also claims that the 225 points he has can be done in like 2 hours of gameplay. This is definitely a game with some division.

I have not been following the game very closely, so my opinion may not matter much. However, after watching the GiantBomb Quick Look on Brink, it looks extremely generic (gameplay wise) and not even worth $40. There are older games that have done the class based system better from what I can tell by just watching that single video. Of course I have not played the game and won't fully know this until I actually play it, but until it's like $15 (I have the feeling this will be rather quick on this one) I won't be trying it out (unless there is a demo, maybe for PC). Also considering my most played platform is PS3 online, I'll just go sign into the PlayStation Netw-

Jeff's review from GiantBomb should be up today and he's one of the few true game reviewers whose opinion I trust fully.

I'm glad Brink sucks. Saves me some money.

And lol @ Catherine outselling Hunted...that's not going to happen. I don't even understand something like that being released in the US (or anywhere really :razz:).

[quote name='ShockandAww']I'm glad Brink sucks. Saves me some money.

And lol @ Catherine outselling Hunted...that's not going to happen. I don't even understand something like that being released in the US (or anywhere really :razz:).[/QUOTE]
Yikes on the Brink reviews

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']Yikes on the Brink reviews[/QUOTE]

...........Now I'm wondering if I should wait a couple weeks in case the game tanks.

To receive gaming coupons you must be a Shop Your Way Reward member. It's free and only takes a couple of minutes to sing up in store.

Thanks!

[quote name='Torik_Shai']Don't underestimate random Nintendo shovelware, lest we forget the grim lessons taught to us by that most unholy of shovelware titles, Just Dance. :p[/QUOTE]

Um, isnt Just Dance simply "Elite Beat Agents" w/ a Wiimote? And everybody seemed to eat that shit up (self included).

Wanna talk about unholy Wii Shovelware, perhaps Carnival Games would be a better example (that or Wii Play ;)).

[quote name='MSUHitman']Only games that can touch it as FPS's on console are Halo and Battlefield. Problem is I can't get any of my friends to play anything but CoD, maybe a bit of Battlefield, but it's always back to CoD eventually.[/QUOTE]
I just don't see why critics always slather it with praise equal to the second coming of Christ though, and the same goes for GTA and Halo. GTAIV was GOTY and all that jazz, but most everyone I talk to didn't like it nearly as much as San Andreas or Vice City because it started to become pretentious, the driving was awful and the social mechanics were worse.

The COD series has some extremely polished mechanics, but it's nowhere near perfection. The campaign is nonsensical at best and laughable at worst, and the multiplayer is a bloated mess of customization options.

It just seems like critics are their own worst enemy. Because the people who review the games are the same as those who are subject to and a part of the hype machine of trade shows and previews and demos, it seems like critics usually go into games much more positive, excited and subjectively than they should. And inevitably, hindsight takes hold and the murmuring of criticism begins rising after a game's had time to digest in the marketplace. Maybe I'm sensing something that's not really there, but I've picked up on a growing backlash against GTA, Halo and COD from both critics and players who were enamored of it at release but after time came to be more aware of its imperfections, and thus lower their opinions of it.

The Kinect and the Wii are great examples. How much critical praise were they getting before launch, and how are they viewed now? I'm guessing there's a big divide there, and I feel like that's happening more frequently.

Yeah, I've read enough now that I'm passing on Brink. As much as I love me some parkour FPS, it just sounds like a game that was not thought through, and that's lacking the critical balancing to make it playable. Damn.

Guess it's LA Noire and Dirt 3 for me then.

Hey Josh,

Bought Brink and used my $45 coupon and even though I'm a SYWR member didn't get the $20 dollar coupon. I found out the brink deal wasn't in the weekly ad either. The CSR told me to come back tomorrow and speak with the MOD about returning my game and getting my $45 dollar coupon back (He is unsure if I can get it back).

[quote name='hostyl1']Um, isnt Just Dance simply "Elite Beat Agents" w/ a Wiimote? And everybody seemed to eat that shit up (self included).

Wanna talk about unholy Wii Shovelware, perhaps Carnival Games would be a better example (that or Wii Play ;)).[/QUOTE]

Just Dance and Elite Beat Agents belong to the same genre, but they really couldn't be more different.

Walked into kmart this morning and was told they didn't get any copies of Brink and to try tomorrow morning

Edit: After reading the reviews I may stay away from this game til it's 20ish.

Last edited by a moderator:
So disappointed in the reviews of Brink :( Glad LA Noire is around the bend, otherwise, no clue what I'd use my coupons on. Part of me still wants to get it, but knowing that LA Noire should be solid deflates that urge.

Bethesda, why, oh why... :(

Not sure what reviews you guys are looking at, unless you really really really trust 1Up and Joystiq, since those are dragging the average waaaaaaaay down. There are a ton of 80+ on there. While I normally like GB, I think their QL of the game was a joke and did a disservice to its potential, but I'm no professional game reviewing guy.

Went to K-mart this morning after a long absence to pick up Brink. From past experience at K-Mart I stopped at the customer service desk first thing to have an associate paged to electronics. When I get to electronics I notice Brink wasn't on the shelf and the associate said they never received it. I didn't feel like arguing with the associate to try and give them money so I decided I would just leave and buy it from Amazon.

Luckily I decided to check the reviews before I ordered. I guess the poor customer service actually saved me money in the long run.

I might give K-Mart another shot when I see a non-launch day deal that interests me.

[quote name='LordVila']Went to K-mart this morning after a long absence to pick up Brink. From past experience at K-Mart I stopped at the customer service desk first thing to have an associate paged to electronics. When I get to electronics I notice Brink wasn't on the shelf and the associate said they never received it. I didn't feel like arguing with the associate to try and give them money so I decided I would just leave and buy it from Amazon.

Luckily I decided to check the reviews before I ordered. I guess the poor customer service actually saved me money in the long run.

I might give K-Mart another shot when I see a non-launch day deal that interests me.[/QUOTE]
Man this is sooooo frustrating. I agree with you. If the store can't get the new release out, screw it. I'm so sick off this issue.

Always feel free though to send me an email so I can follow up with the store and try and improve the issue.

The coupon code has been validated. It is in all stores. If for some reason it is not printing, literally they just have to reboot the register.

I've instructed IT that they can no longer process coupons the day prior as the lag seems to introduce issues.

I Just went and picked up brink and pirates both didnt print coupon. To tell you the truth i wish sywr points were back i thought that was so much easier

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Not sure what reviews you guys are looking at, unless you really really really trust 1Up and Joystiq, since those are dragging the average waaaaaaaay down. There are a ton of 80+ on there. While I normally like GB, I think their QL of the game was a joke and did a disservice to its potential, but I'm no professional game reviewing guy.[/QUOTE]

The thing is if you read many of those 80+ reviews they have the same issues that 1Up and Joystiq had but decided to not really penalize the game much for them. I do not know how many time I have seen an 75-85 review and then read it only to walk away thinking the person really did not enjoy the game as much as they wanted. It like they are being given a pass for stupid AI and poor level design because they took a risk in gameplay mechanics. When you claim that your game will blur the lines between single, co-op and multi-player I was NOT expecting it meant that basically you are just redoing a level with bots, some bots or no bots. There are ONLY 8 maps (not 16 like they suggest) with the variety from being on one side or the other. I REALLY wanted this game to be awesome and I was ready to buy this today but the reviews on the whole just seem to reflect this sentiment. Everyone is reviewing this for what the WANT the game to be and not what it really seems. The Giant Bomb QL sealed it for me actually. If I cannot hop on this game and play it without another person without feeling frustrated ALL the time then it is not a game for me. Others may love it but I don't have enough gamer friends that would make this game worth effort needed to coordinate a match that might actually be fun to play. Now I have to wait another week for a new game:(

[quote name='taccord1986']I Just went and picked up brink and pirates both didnt print coupon. To tell you the truth i wish sywr points were back i thought that was so much easier[/QUOTE]
To be honest, it should be the other way around. I've saw IT input this code yesterday in an email I've instructed them once again to not let it happen again. They were under the impression they could do it the day before without ramification. Technically they are correct as the system is updated but in terms of on the field execution it needs another day to cook.

[quote name='taccord1986']Just seen your post i am going to go back return the games and re buy them later today[/QUOTE]

I can't imagine that they normally re-boot during the day, so you may want to wait until tomorrow. Unless of course they can re-boot them on request which may seem weird to them and they'll think you are somehow scamming them. :lol:

[quote name='chriscolbert']I can't imagine that they normally re-boot during the day, so you may want to wait until tomorrow. Unless of course they can re-boot them on request which may seem weird to them and they'll think you are somehow scamming them. :lol:[/QUOTE]
I hate to agree with this since it is wholly unacceptable on our part, but you are probably right. I may put this on the blog as well.

I feel your pain Josh. It is maddening to have careful planning destroyed by poor execution at the store level.
I had an out of state friend tell me today that he went to get Brink this morning at kmart and was told they never got it.
Its hard to convert people when you have instances like this.
I hope corrective action at the store level, and perhaps some retraining can remedy this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back