Kobe scores 81 Points

[quote name='alucard8319']2 assists ... awsome[/QUOTE]
Dammit, that was gonna be my line.

Amazing game, but I still hate him.

You might hate the guy as I do but 81 points is a hell of alot of points. And someone on here said anyone could score 80 points in the nba if given the ball enough, then why have only two people in NBA history done it? You're gunna tell me the talent around Allen Iverson the last couple seasons(thats changed now) was really any better than what Kobe has right now? Why didn't Jordan do it? Trust me I hate Kobe as much as the next Kobe hater, but this is a once in a lifetime performance, give him some credit.

Hell of a feat by Kobe, but it would've been hilarious if the Lakers had lost. I'm just kinda pissed that even though he scored 81, I ended up losing points in fantasy league!

[quote name='brainstorm']You might hate the guy as I do but 81 points is a hell of alot of points. And someone on here said anyone could score 80 points in the nba if given the ball enough, then why have only two people in NBA history done it? You're gunna tell me the talent around Allen Iverson the last couple seasons(thats changed now) was really any better than what Kobe has right now? Why didn't Jordan do it? Trust me I hate Kobe as much as the next Kobe hater, but this is a once in a lifetime performance, give him some credit.[/QUOTE]

Jordan acted like kobe pre jackson, in his prime he wasn't a ballhog in the sense that it often harmed the team.

I don't really like Kobe Bryant but the 81 points that he dropped is no doubt impressive. Actually wasnt as much garbage time in the game as I originally thought.

That crazy KB. Dropping 81 is one of the most impressive individual things the NBA has seen in years and he even took all the attention from the insane sonics - suns game.
I really dont hate on him as much as I used too. I have a feeling he will one day finally turn the corner and start passing the ball and making his team better.
AI is putting up great numbers this season and averaging 9 assist.
If Kobe can do the same he can easily be a MVP candiate. Kobe does play defense fairly well and can get boards if he wants.

Is he a Jordan wannabe? Yes.

Did he essentially tailor the team to get more shots by helping Shaq out the door? Yes.

Is he a ball hog? Yes.

However...

Like him or not, 81 points is a huge deal. There are plenty of other ball hogs in the league and Kobe and Wilt are the only ones to do it. I don't like the guy but I have to give credit for his performance. The guy had another huge game like that earlier in the year and was criticized for leaving early. If you are gonna be damned either way you may as well go for the record books.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Jordan acted like kobe pre jackson, in his prime he wasn't a ballhog in the sense that it often harmed the team.[/QUOTE]

I understand that, but even in his ballhog days, Jordan never dropped 80 is what I'm saying.

Kobe might end up with numbers better than Jordan, but he'll never be as good as him because he has no concept of how to make other players around him better, so i do agree with you. But Jordan learned how to do that when Jackson came on, meanwhile, Kobe has played 5 or 6 seasons under Phil now I think...

all the kobe haters are just jealous. I use to feel the same when Jordan was doing all the crazy stuff in Chicago. Then I took a second look at Jordan, and i was impressed....started respecting him and became a fan. All of you should take a second look at Kobe. Better start appreciating his game while he's still around, Its history in a making. Kobe is not a Jordan wanna be...he is not the new Jordan. I think its reverse....Jordan is the old Kobe.

Lakers baby!!!

[quote name='Darwin23']all the kobe haters are just jealous. I use to feel the same when Jordan was doing all the crazy stuff in Chicago. Then I took a second look at Jordan, and i was impressed....started respecting him and became a fan. All of you should take a second look at Kobe. Better start appreciating his game while he's still around, Its history in a making. Kobe is not a Jordan wanna be...he is not the new Jordan. I think its reverse....Jordan is the old Kobe.

Lakers baby!!![/QUOTE]
At least it wasn't a homer that posted that one. Oh wait.

I didn't like Jordan as a player simply because I'm a Pistons fan. Luckily the Bad Boys had a few years of victory over him. He's always seemed to be a respectable person (no huge issues off the court). Kobe is a superstar in a league full of superstars, and has done nothing off the court to make me think he's a worthwhile person.

In summary: the only thing Kobe does better than others is score, and he doesn't win the scoring title every year.

/22 Tor
W 122-104 42 28-46 7-13
18-20 3 1 3 1 2 4 6 2 81

28-46 2 point attempts
7-13 3 point attempts
18-20 free throws

made 35 out of 59

and almost 20 was free throws BIG WOOP

I don't even know why im defending kobe, but it seem most of you don't watch laker games. The lakers were actually down by 15 in the first half and no one other then kobe could score. And this was against the raptors defense. Kobe single handedly bought the team back and it wasn't till 4-5 left that the game was in hand. Phil could have taken kobe out, but he didn't and from then they continued to feed the ball to kobe on each possession. They literally gave the ball to kobe the last 10 posessions and stood and watched.

I wouldn't call Kobe a ball hog until the 4th quarter. He usually plays within the triangle system and still averages 4 assist for a off guard which is pretty good. Its down from the last couple of years when he was averaging 5-6 assist per game, but he's shoting more this year and that is his job. like i said Kobe plays within the system until the 4th quarter. Thats when he starts to ball hog. I have watched alot of laker games this year so I know that it is necessary some times. Lakers are involved in alot of close games and without kobe shoting the ball, the lakers would have a worst record then they do presently.

[quote name='RandyTsai']I don't even know why im defending kobe, but it seem most of you don't watch laker games. The lakers were actually down by 15 in the first half and no one other then kobe could score. And this was against the raptors defense. Kobe single handedly bought the team back and it wasn't till 4-5 left that the game was in hand. Phil could have taken kobe out, but he didn't and from then they continued to feed the ball to kobe on each possession. They literally gave the ball to kobe the last 10 posessions and stood and watched. [/QUOTE]

i was about to bring up that same point. :) kobe had an amazing 3rd quarter and i'm glad i turned on the game after half time.

[quote name='RandyTsai']They literally gave the ball to kobe the last 10 posessions and stood and watched. [/QUOTE]
And strangely, I think that's how they lost in the Finals two years ago ;) Good to see some things never change.

Hey, it's just like the Bulls before Pippen matured. Way to go Kobe. Not only did he score 81, but he's averaging 45.5 PPG over the last 10 games!

I don't really like Kobe, but I have to agree with some of the posters above me that this feat is something that is a true accomplishment. Also, slidecage, even without the free throw points, that's still a lot in one game.

[quote name='Darwin23']all the kobe haters are just jealous. I use to feel the same when Jordan was doing all the crazy stuff in Chicago. Then I took a second look at Jordan, and i was impressed....started respecting him and became a fan. All of you should take a second look at Kobe. Better start appreciating his game while he's still around, Its history in a making. Kobe is not a Jordan wanna be...he is not the new Jordan. I think its reverse....Jordan is the old Kobe.

Lakers baby!!![/QUOTE]

You judge players too much on their talent. A hell of a lot more is required to be one of the greats.

[quote name='slidecage']/22 Tor
W 122-104 42 28-46 7-13
18-20 3 1 3 1 2 4 6 2 81

28-46 2 point attempts
7-13 3 point attempts
18-20 free throws

made 35 out of 59

and almost 20 was free throws BIG WOOP[/QUOTE]

Are you retarted? Taking so many shots and driving the baseline trying to get high percentage shots, you're bound to get fouled. Bravo for hitting 90% of them because alot of players nowadays lack the fundamentals to hit 90% of free throws. And BTW,
the 28-46 includes his 3 point attempts, so he wasnt 35 of 59, he was 28-46. Learn to read a box score, you have the guy down for 95 points...

Also, 28-46 is pretty damn good for the types of shots that Kobe takes. Unlike Wilt, Kobe had to create a lot of shots and hitting a 3 pointer as accurately as he did last night, is not an easy task.

Well he might be a ball hog, but come on the guy hit 81. (I didn't really care for him too much until he hit my fantasy team this year.) Well, one thing's for sure, Jalen Rose crapped his pants.

[quote name='slidecage']/22 Tor
W 122-104 42 28-46 7-13
18-20 3 1 3 1 2 4 6 2 81

28-46 2 point attempts
7-13 3 point attempts
18-20 free throws

made 35 out of 59

and almost 20 was free throws BIG WOOP[/QUOTE]

Do you know how to read a stat sheet??? He made 28-46 shots total. In other words he attempted 46 shots total (2's + 3's). What he did was amazing but it doesn't make him a better person or a better player. I respect his game that's about it.

[quote name='fatbeer']wow,Phil Jackson knows the word "strategy" just give the ball to kobe or micheal jordon.That why he get the paid the big bucks.[/QUOTE]

Don't even insult Michael Jordan by putting kobe bryant and the best basketball player of all time in the same sentence. Jordan wasn't a ball hog either, he spread the ball around and did everything that was needed to win ... SIX Championships!

Id like to add that jordan didnt do this because he had other good and decent players on his team he didnt HAVE to ignore them and play by himself.

Im pretty sure if he ever did he couldve broke the #1 spot.

I think iverson could break kobes spot one day.

[quote name='SIUfan86']Don't even insult Michael Jordan by putting kobe bryant and the best basketball player of all time in the same sentence. Jordan wasn't a ball hog either, he spread the ball around and did everything that was needed to win ... SIX Championships![/QUOTE]
fuck Jordan, Magic is the greatest player of all time.

[quote name='DT778']fuck Jordan, Magic is the greatest player of all time.[/QUOTE]

Magic was a great player, but not the best of all time.

[quote name='SIUfan86']Magic was a great player, but not the best of all time.[/QUOTE]
sure he was. he was the ultimate team player and isn't that what all of the kobe haters/ jordan lovers are bitching about? being a complete player and making those around you better.

I love Magic and Kareem as much as the next guy, and I've had plenty of debates over why they're better then Jordan. But in the end, Jordan is the best, plain and simple his clutch shooting, doing it without a good center etc. He was just so damn good....he didn't have to put up 81 to win either....72-10, what else needs to be proven?

Oh by the way Iverson doesn't make enough shots to score that much, he would have to hoist it up 81 times to score 81 points with that raggedy field goal percentage of his.

[quote name='SIUfan86']Magic was a great player, but not the best of all time.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the best of all time would be Bill Russell. 11 championships, 8 in a row, 5 time MVP, 12 time All Star. And he only played 13 years. One of only two players to get 50 rebounds in a game, had 7 games with 40 or more rebounds. He averaged 22.5 rebounds per game in his career. First Black head coach in the 4 major sports, won 3 times as a player/coach.

The only legitimate argument for someone else, would be Wilt Chamberlain. Scored 100 points in a game, holds most records, etc. Chamberlain would certainly be the best offensive player in history, and Russell would be the best defensive player in history. I give it to Russell overall because of the championships, and because he'd shut down Chamberlain wherenver they'd play against each other.

Kobe scoring 81 points does not impress me nearly as much as 50+ rebounds in a game, or 100 points in a game, let alone the numbers these guys put up over the course of a season, and over their careers.

[quote name='DT778']sure he was. he was the ultimate team player and isn't that what all of the kobe haters/ jordan lovers are bitching about? being a complete player and making those around you better.[/QUOTE]

Magic a better team player than bill russell?

[quote name='dafoomie']Yeah, the best of all time would be Bill Russell. 11 championships, 8 in a row, 5 time MVP, 12 time All Star. And he only played 13 years. One of only two players to get 50 rebounds in a game, had 7 games with 40 or more rebounds. He averaged 22.5 rebounds per game in his career. First Black head coach in the 4 major sports, won 3 times as a player/coach.

The only legitimate argument for someone else, would be Wilt Chamberlain. Scored 100 points in a game, holds most records, etc. Chamberlain would certainly be the best offensive player in history, and Russell would be the best defensive player in history. I give it to Russell overall because of the championships, and because he'd shut down Chamberlain wherenver they'd play against each other.

Kobe scoring 81 points does not impress me nearly as much as 50+ rebounds in a game, or 100 points in a game, let alone the numbers these guys put up over the course of a season, and over their careers.[/QUOTE]

Not a Celtics fan, but the kid speaks the truth. Another guy that is extremely underrated in the best of all-time discussion, hes gotta be top 10 in my book, is Oscar Robertson. Only man to average a triple double over an entire season, thats insane.

I have a dream... that someday basketball might be worth watching again. I seriously doubt it though. Ah for the days when you didn't have to post a player's criminal record, or pending lawsuits, next to their stats... And would the mother fucking players please keep the fuck out of the stands. Jesus christ this shit is getting old.

Off topic but...

The best player of all time is Michael Jordan. He didn't have anywhere near the supporting cast that Bill Russell had, and no one in history was more clutch than Michael Jordan. Had he not retired briefly in the early to mid 90's he had a legit shot at 8 straight titles in the free agency era.

[quote name='brainstorm']Not a Celtics fan, but the kid speaks the truth. Another guy that is extremely underrated in the best of all-time discussion, hes gotta be top 10 in my book, is Oscar Robertson. Only man to average a triple double over an entire season, thats insane.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for mentioning O. I was waiting for it.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Off topic but...

The best player of all time is Michael Jordan. He didn't have anywhere near the supporting cast that Bill Russell had, and no one in history was more clutch than Michael Jordan. Had he not retired briefly in the early to mid 90's he had a legit shot at 8 straight titles in the free agency era.[/QUOTE]
Had he not had such a big gambling problem he wouldn't have had to retire briefly.

[quote name='dafoomie']Yeah, the best of all time would be Bill Russell. 11 championships, 8 in a row, 5 time MVP, 12 time All Star. And he only played 13 years. One of only two players to get 50 rebounds in a game, had 7 games with 40 or more rebounds. He averaged 22.5 rebounds per game in his career. First Black head coach in the 4 major sports, won 3 times as a player/coach.

Kobe scoring 81 points does not impress me nearly as much as 50+ rebounds in a game, or 100 points in a game, let alone the numbers these guys put up over the course of a season, and over their careers.[/QUOTE]
You know most of those points were not "earned" right? It was 42-26 at the end of the first quarter and from that point on his team just simply gave him the ball every time. Kobe had to earn his shit.

[quote name='DT778']Had he not had such a big gambling problem he wouldn't have had to retire briefly.[/QUOTE]

I think it was his father's murder that made him think about retirement. It probably severely depressed him.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I think it was his father's murder that made him think about retirement. It probably severely depressed him.[/QUOTE]
Nah, it was probably the pressure from the commissioner and the gambling investigastion that the NBA was conducting.

sorry if it has been said but i didnt read every single post will this historic game be re-aired for us that missed it the first time ?

[quote name='Limegreen']sorry if it has been said but i didnt read every single post will this historic game be re-aired for us that missed it the first time ?[/QUOTE]

Please don't post any torrent links, thanks. - Led

Please don't post any torrent links, thanks. - Led

They are actually airing it right now in the nba channel ,601 for direct tv users !

Another chance to watch tomorrow and another on thursday !

[quote name='DT778']You know most of those points were not "earned" right? It was 42-26 at the end of the first quarter and from that point on his team just simply gave him the ball every time. Kobe had to earn his shit.[/QUOTE]
Who are you talking about, Wilt? I don't care. Look past that record then, and look at his career averages. They're insane.

bread's done
Back