Konami goes on a PS3 cancelling spree... MGS4 feelin 360 bound.

Mookyjooky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
42 (100%)
From - gamefront.de

January 10, 2007 - Konami's support for both the PS3 and Wii appears to have taken a major hit. The release list in the latest issue of Famitsu reveals reveals that a number of next generation titles previously announced by the company are no longer in development.

Here's the full list of cancelled titles.

# Gradius Series (PS3)
# Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball (PS3)
# New Action Game (PS3)
# New Role Playing Game (PS3)
# New Action Adventure Game 2 (Wii)
# Role Playing Game (Wii)

With those titles gone, Konami's Wii and PS3 lineup reads as follows:

# Pro Baseball Spirits Series (PS3)
# Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)
# World Soccer Winning Eleven Series (PS3)
# Music Simulation Game (Wii)
# New Action Adventure Game (Wii)
# Sports Game -- Soccer (Wii)
# Sports Game -- Baseball (Wii)

I just wish they would have MGS3 for Xbox a la Substance. Because MGS3 was my favorite in the series and I'm an Xbox backer.

[quote name='itspaidgasterblaster']You're topic only mentions PS3 and your post mentions PS3 and Wii.[/quote]

Waaaaaah

Ok, yes, they've cancelled generic rpg and generic action game from the Wii lineup.

# New Action Game (PS3)
# New Role Playing Game (PS3)
# New Action Adventure Game 2 (Wii)
# Role Playing Game (Wii)

Damn, those were some of my favorite series as well. Hopefully they don't cancel "New Action Adventure Game 1" as well.

[quote name='shipwreck']Damn, those were some of my favorite series as well. Hopefully they don't cancel "New Action Adventure Game 1" as well.[/QUOTE]

Good Stuff :)

Bad news for Konami fans. I can see someone reading the PS3 cancellations as a lack of faith, but the Wii cancellations? The only popular system really in both the US and Japan? That seems to point more to financial problems within Konami. That may still lead to MGS4 getting ported, as if they're in need of money they'll port everything that sells. But still, not a good sign for one of the best game companies.

[quote name='shipwreck']Damn, those were some of my favorite series as well. Hopefully they don't cancel "New Action Adventure Game 1" as well.[/quote]

:lol:

If Silent Hill goes 360, then the choice is obvious for me.

[quote name='camoor']

If Silent Hill goes 360, then the choice is obvious for me.[/quote]

Hope so too. The only game PS3 has for me is Silent Hill, and even so it's just rumored.

As much as I want to go...

This proves the PS3 will fail!

... this doesn't mean shit.

They canceled a few games, so what? It could be they are thinknig of different games to do the consoles or it just means they are trying to save money. Unless all those Wii / PS3 games are still coming out for the 360 this really means nothing.

[quote name='David85']As much as I want to go...

They canceled a few games, so what? It could be they are thinknig of different games to do the consoles or it just means they are trying to save money. Unless all those Wii / PS3 games are still coming out for the 360 this really means nothing.[/quote]

I dont think anyone has said it means anything but you.

I really don't want any system to fail, but as a Wii360 owner, it would make me and my wallet very happy to have most if not all of the big name games come over to the 360 early on.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I really don't want any system to fail, but as a Wii360 owner, it would make me and my wallet very happy to have most if not all of the big name games come over to the 360 early on.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, I know I'm not hoping for any system to fail or a company go bankrupt, but the death of 3rd party exclusives would certainly be awesome.

[quote name='David85']As much as I want to go...

They canceled a few games, so what? It could be they are thinknig of different games to do the consoles or it just means they are trying to save money. Unless all those Wii / PS3 games are still coming out for the 360 this really means nothing.[/QUOTE]

I love how you oh so badly want a gaming company to fail, fanboyism to the max.

I guess Penn Jillette had a point when he hates people named David or Dave ;)

Wow, that's a lot of projects to hit the floor. I wonder if it was money, or things were not going well.

As for MGS, anyone who really things that Konami will keep it solely on the PS3 is out of their mind. At best you're only going to get timed exclusives this generation, save for 1st and 2nd party offerings. The 360 and PS3 will share nearly identical versions of most games, and the Wii will end up getting some shovelwared version of the game with some control scheme that doesn't work.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I dont think anyone has said it means anything but you.[/QUOTE]

It apparently means that MGS is headed to the 360 to *you*.

[quote name='daroga']As for MGS, anyone who really things that Konami will keep it solely on the PS3 is out of their mind. At best you're only going to get timed exclusives this generation, save for 1st and 2nd party offerings.[/QUOTE]

I'll agree with this; any visual advantage the PS3 may exhibit has been parried by inclusion of 360 "achievements." Nevertheless, if you consider how well recieved MGS2 was compared to Substance on the Xbox, it's pretty fascinating to see such a massive franchise didn't do shit on a "superior" platform. I also wonder what Twin Snakes sales looked like compared to MGS2 (or 1 as well, I suppose)?

[quote name='mykevermin']I'll agree with this; any visual advantage the PS3 may exhibit has been parried by inclusion of 360 "achievements." Nevertheless, if you consider how well recieved MGS2 was compared to Substance on the Xbox, it's pretty fascinating to see such a massive franchise didn't do shit on a "superior" platform. I also wonder what Twin Snakes sales looked like compared to MGS2 (or 1 as well, I suppose)?[/quote]Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how everything plays out. While timed exclusives do away with the need to have a system to play Game X, they can still be pretty powerful. I'm sure there are people out there that would buy a PS3 before they would wait 6 months to play MGS4, thus cannibalizing would-be 360 sales.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I dont think anyone has said it means anything but you.[/QUOTE]

Did you even fucking read the title of your thread?

[quote name='daroga']Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how everything plays out. While timed exclusives do away with the need to have a system to play Game X, they can still be pretty powerful. I'm sure there are people out there that would buy a PS3 before they would wait 6 months to play MGS4, thus cannibalizing would-be 360 sales.[/QUOTE]

*raises hand*

*also raises hand*

It won't matter if MGS4 does come to the 360. I currently own a PS3 and plan on getting the PS3 version. As long as the game is developed primarily for the PS3, I could care less if the 360 gets it. In fact, a 360 version would mean more money for Kojima Productions, so why not. As long as they don't get extra content, I'm okay with it.

[quote name='dpatel']*also raises hand*

It won't matter if MGS4 does come to the 360. I currently own a PS3 and plan on getting the PS3 version. As long as the game is developed primarily for the PS3, I could care less if the 360 gets it. In fact, a 360 version would mean more money for Kojima Productions, so why not. As long as they don't get extra content, I'm okay with it.[/QUOTE]
how the hell could xbox even handle the mgs4 graphics? did you guys see that trailer? it was like my eyes went to heaven. Outer heaven that is. Unless Konami was bullshitting us with that trailer I don't even think Xbox has a chance unless Konami downgrades the material before release.

[quote name='sparklecopy']how the hell could xbox even handle the mgs4 graphics? did you guys see that trailer? it was like my eyes went to heaven. Outer heaven that is. Unless Konami was bullshitting us with that trailer I don't even think Xbox has a chance unless Konami downgrades the material before release.[/QUOTE]

The 360's probably capable of graphics like that, but considering the extent to which Kojima optimizes his games for a certain platform, I doubt it could run at a solid 60FPS.

mgs2: susbstance for the Xbox sold like shit, I wouldn't expect mgs4 to be released on the 360 but theres still a chance.

[quote name='Chacrana']The 360's probably capable of graphics like that, but considering the extent to which Kojima optimizes his games for a certain platform, I doubt it could run at a solid 60FPS.[/QUOTE]

The 360 is definitely capable. But you are right about Kojima. On top of that, he just hates to see a ported game, mainly because it feels like wasted potential. A port will not utilize the console properly. He would much prefer, given the time, to create a game from the ground up for the 360. Right now, it looks like he will be moving to the Wii, after MGS4, based on his recent comments. I am really eager to see what his creative mind can come up with for the Wii. His game may finally convince me to buy one (that and hopefully smash and mario will be out by then).

[quote name='agws']mgs2: susbstance for the Xbox sold like shit, I wouldn't expect mgs4 to be released on the 360 but theres still a chance.[/QUOTE]
wasn't it sold like 2 years after the original? and they had some skateboard crap that was exclusive to the ps2's release of substance. and framerate issues or some crap i forgot. It doesn't matter. cause I got me a mgs2 xbox for 4 bucks baby! that's the beauty of saturation.

[quote name='dpatel']The 360 is definitely capable. But you are right about Kojima. On top of that, he just hates to see a ported game, mainly because it feels like wasted potential. A port will not utilize the console properly. He would much prefer, given the time, to create a game from the ground up for the 360. Right now, it looks like he will be moving to the Wii, after MGS4, based on his recent comments. I am really eager to see what his creative mind can come up with for the Wii. His game may finally convince me to buy one (that and hopefully smash and mario will be out by then).[/QUOTE]

It does make sense for Kojima to move to the Wii given how he really likes trying to use various controller functions creatively (the motion sensing with the PS3 and the analog buttons with the PS2.) Gotta say though, I wish he'd stay on the PS3 and develop Zone of the Enders 3... since I can't really imagine anything better than that.

[quote name='Chacrana']It does make sense for Kojima to move to the Wii given how he really likes trying to use various controller functions creatively (the motion sensing with the PS3 and the analog buttons with the PS2.) Gotta say though, I wish he'd stay on the PS3 and develop Zone of the Enders 3... since I can't really imagine anything better than that.[/quote]

Didn't he also make that weird GB game where you need actual sunlight to get energy for attacks?

He made people go outside (or use taboo lamps).
Botaku, I believe it was called, or something similar. There may have been a sequel.

So yes, I'd love to see a Kojima Wii game. After MGS4 that is. That game will be pure beauty.

[quote name='dallow']Didn't he also make that weird GB game where you need actual sunlight to get energy for attacks?

He made people go outside (or use taboo lamps).
Botaku, I believe it was called, or something similar. There may have been a sequel.

So yes, I'd love to see a Kojima Wii game. After MGS4 that is. That game will be pure beauty.[/QUOTE]

Boktai was the title. Yeah, that was the one game where I thought Kojima really slipped up... well, I suppose the game wasn't all that bad, but I really hated the concept of not being able to simply enjoy the game whenever and wherever you want. A Kojima Wii game though... hmm... y'know that a remote would make a Policenauts sequel a cinch, right? He's gotta mof'ckin do that.

[quote name='Chacrana']It does make sense for Kojima to move to the Wii given how he really likes trying to use various controller functions creatively (the motion sensing with the PS3 and the analog buttons with the PS2.) Gotta say though, I wish he'd stay on the PS3 and develop Zone of the Enders 3... since I can't really imagine anything better than that.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. MGS4 and ZOE3 would easily justify the PS3s price for me.

[quote name='Chacrana']Boktai was the title. Yeah, that was the one game where I thought Kojima really slipped up... well, I suppose the game wasn't all that bad, but I really hated the concept of not being able to simply enjoy the game whenever and wherever you want. A Kojima Wii game though... hmm... y'know that a remote would make a Policenauts sequel a cinch, right? He's gotta mof'ckin do that.[/QUOTE]

I never played it. I thought the concept was really neat. I guess I had never actually thought about how difficult it would be to actually play. However, I do like the fact that Kojima was able to think outside of the box like that on a freakin GB game. I'm sure he will amaze us with the Wii.

[quote name='dpatel']Indeed. MGS4 and ZOE3 would easily justify the PS3s price for me.[/quote]

....you guys are just "hoping" for ZOE3 right? Is that actually something that could happen?

?=/

I don't keep up to date on everything >.>

Good cancellations, except for Gradius... they definitely need a gradius. So now they need to focus on a new ZOE game. I think they could do a 3d castlevania... if they were to make it a cross between devil may cry and metal gear solid.. (weird... but could work)

i'm glad kojima productions is developing primarily for the ps3 on mgs4 (and hopefully other titles in the future), because if there's any developer that can push hardware to its limits, it's gotta be them.

ZOE2 and MGS3 are among the most beautiful games I've ever laid eyes on the PS2, though they are about mid-late system life releases

[quote name='Chacrana']Boktai was the title. Yeah, that was the one game where I thought Kojima really slipped up... well, I suppose the game wasn't all that bad, but I really hated the concept of not being able to simply enjoy the game whenever and wherever you want. A Kojima Wii game though... hmm... y'know that a remote would make a Policenauts sequel a cinch, right? He's gotta mof'ckin do that.[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised no one beat me to it, but Snatcher would be excellent with the Wii Remote as well.

Whether MGS4 comes to 360 or not, I'll be waiting for the version with all the extras to come out and not even bother with the initial version that is put out.

Fool me once Kojima, shame on you.
Fool me twice Kojima, shame on me.
Fool me thrice, no fucking way.

[quote name='shipwreck']Whether MGS4 comes to 360 or not, I'll be waiting for the version with all the extras to come out and not even bother with the initial version that is put out.

Fool me once Kojima, shame on you.
Fool me twice Kojima, shame on me.
Fool me thrice, no fucking way.[/QUOTE]
Well, you know...at least the version with the extras probably won't be a full $60 as the past re-releases have shown (aka they didn't come out at a full $50)

[quote name='jughead']I just wish they would have MGS3 for Xbox a la Substance. Because MGS3 was my favorite in the series and I'm an Xbox backer.[/QUOTE]Xbots didn't buy Substance (sold very badly); therefore, Kojima felt Xbox gamers don't deserve another MGS game. Xbox fans already have Splinter Cell and prefer it anyway.

Anyway, these games were just concepts and ideas (except for Coded Arms) and Konami decided to do other things instead. This happens ALL the time in the gaming industry (anyone remember Frame City Killer for 360?), although when consoles are out for a while, games won't get announced until near release (Konami just basically announced everything they were doing, whether it would be released or not).

MGS4 won't be coming to 360, regardless of what Xbots try to say. MGS4 will perform well on PS3. If Kojima were to ever port the game, it would take a long time and wouldn't look as good, since the game is fully utilizing all eight CPUs on PS3 (Xbox 360 only has 3) and the game needs the amount of space a blu-ray disc provides.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
...since the game is fully utilizing all eight CPUs on PS3 (Xbox 360 only has 3) and the game needs the amount of space a blu-ray disc provides.[/QUOTE]

Porting MGS4 over to the 360 would go against everything Kojima has said in the past, but you do know that the CPUs can't be compared numerically like that right?

...right?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
MGS4 won't be coming to 360, regardless of what Xbots try to say. MGS4 will perform well on PS3. If Kojima were to ever port the game, it would take a long time and wouldn't look as good, since the game is fully utilizing all eight CPUs on PS3 (Xbox 360 only has 3) and the game needs the amount of space a blu-ray disc provides.[/quote]

Unless of course PS3 production and sales problems continue. Konami is far more interested in making money than they are in minor system specs.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Unless of course PS3 production and sales problems continue. Konami is far more interested in making money than they are in minor system specs.[/quote]Exactly. Whether or not the creators of the game like ports or not is immaterial. Konami needs to get as many sales out of the game as humanly possible which means it won't be a PS3 exculsive nor will it be a 360 exclusive. Broadest audience = most sales. It's as simple as that.

If their company and future depends on it, maybe they'll do a good job with the ports.

[quote name='vinhjdao']Porting MGS4 over to the 360 would go against everything Kojima has said in the past, but you do know that the CPUs can't be compared numerically like that right?

...right?[/quote]

Wasn't that the same thing Shinji Makami said about Resident Evil, and it got ported to the ps2. I rather see the Metal Gear serie finish on the ps3 and have Kojima start a new series for the xbox. Something for everybody.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Xbots didn't buy Substance (sold very badly); therefore, Kojima felt Xbox gamers don't deserve another MGS game. Xbox fans already have Splinter Cell and prefer it anyway.

Anyway, these games were just concepts and ideas (except for Coded Arms) and Konami decided to do other things instead. This happens ALL the time in the gaming industry (anyone remember Frame City Killer for 360?), although when consoles are out for a while, games won't get announced until near release (Konami just basically announced everything they were doing, whether it would be released or not).

MGS4 won't be coming to 360, regardless of what Xbots try to say. MGS4 will perform well on PS3. If Kojima were to ever port the game, it would take a long time and wouldn't look as good, since the game is fully utilizing all eight CPUs on PS3 (Xbox 360 only has 3) and the game needs the amount of space a blu-ray disc provides.[/QUOTE]

Anyone else smell that? It smells like bullshit.

Wikipedia agrees:

[quote name='mykevermin']It apparently means that MGS is headed to the 360 to *you*.[/quote]

Actually, it says its "feelin" 360 bound, not that it means its coming to the 360. I'm speculating opinion, nothing more.

As for David85, you're a class-A retard, so I dont feel I need to repeat this. Just get someone to transcribe it into idiot-speak. I've seen you come up a few times in threads I can believe you're not banned, you only post to start flame wars and to be an all around asshole.

Why mods will sit and watch me, and remove my posts about stupid shit I've jokingly said, that not even the person it was directed towards took offense to it, but they'll let you sprinkle a taste of your ignorance in every thread, I'll never know.

bread's done
Back