Kotaku: PSP redesign will be announced at E3

ArthurDigbySellers

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
From Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/psp-slim-details-revealed-267108.php

[quote name='Kotaku']The new Playstation Portable will have a much slimmer design, thanks mostly to a new LED screen that will deliver an ultra-crisp image but take up far less space. That LED also helps pump up the battery life of this sexy new model, which can last as much as four times longer than the original PSP. While the new PSP still makes use of the UMD drive, it will be a faster version and to help speed up loadtimes and gameplay, the portable will come packed with 8GBs of internal flash memory. Finally, the PSP's much maligned buttons have been revamped and the D-Pad has gotten a major overhaul, giving portable gamers something more like a Playstation 3 D-pad to play with.[/quote]

Sad to see that UMD is still being used, but I guess they can't alienate all the previous PSP owners. If the price stays at $170 (which the article states that it most likely will), this could really help PSP sales.

Now I wonder if the rumored "major hardware announcement" from Nintendo will be yet another DS redesign?

[quote name='lebowsky']From Kotaku:

Sad to see that UMD is still being used, but I guess they can't alienate all the previous PSP owners. If the price stays at $170 (which the article states that it most likely will), this could really help PSP sales.

Now I wonder if the rumored "major hardware announcement" from Nintendo will be yet another DS redesign?[/QUOTE]

dude at best buy said they been hearing Rumors AND I SAID RUMORS

Nintendo big announcement a NEW GAMEbOY SYSTEM hitting xmas 2008 (though they would love to see it hit 2007 but there are no games for it)

they said this is why you have seen all support for the gba die off cause they are working on a new system .....

It would be nice but doubtful.... its probally a music or movie player for the ds

#1 - This just in: The Memory Stick is now officially DEAD

#2 - It's a bad time to announce it, and an even worse time to bring it out (Halo 3 in September, and many big big games coming in the coming months on consoles)

#3 - For $170 they're going to lose money on it probably.

#4 - The design is probably going to be like the GBA SP (Flip case) because that's the only way the button setup can be improved

#5 - Are they expecting all 20+ million PSP owners to buy a new PSP now?

[quote name='lebowsky']
Sad to see that UMD is still being used, but I guess they can't alienate all the previous PSP owners. If the price stays at $170 (which the article states that it most likely will), this could really help PSP sales.[/QUOTE]Why should UMD not be used??? Yes, the format is slow, but all PSP games are on UMD (we don't want to have to re-buy every freaking game), and I find it to be a good format (great amount of space, can have nice CG that DS could only dream of).

As for the redesign, I hope its true, but I still want it to support MS Duo, so I can transfer data saves between PSP handhelds.

Probably will have a healthy dose of new Homebrew Killing software/hardware/motherboards.

Happy with mine I bought this week for $100.

[quote name='KingBroly']#1 - This just in: The Memory Stick is now officially DEAD?[/quote]

Hehe, yeah.

#2 - It's a bad time to announce it, and an even worse time to bring it out (Halo 3 in September, and many big big games coming in the coming months on consoles)

Why would it be bad to announce something new? Cool new stuff is what makes E3 great.

#3 - For $170 they're going to lose money on it probably.

Aren't they already losing money on the PSP? In any case, it's refined now. They know what they're doing.

#4 - The design is probably going to be like the GBA SP (Flip case) because that's the only way the button setup can be improved

I can see that.

#5 - Are they expecting all 20+ million PSP owners to buy a new PSP now
Like Nintendo expected GB owners to upgrade to newer models over the years? I think they're looking for new customers moreso than upgrading the older ones.

It sounds good from the article...at least from the standpoint of them addressing the concerns of those who don't like the PSP. Personally I'm happy with the current one with the custom firmware.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
As for the redesign, I hope its true, but I still want it to support MS Duo, so I can transfer data saves between PSP handhelds.[/QUOTE]

As long as you can connect it to the PC like the current model you should be good. Just back them up if you get rid of the first-gen PSP.

[quote name='dallow']As soon as you can get custom firmware on it, I'll buy one.[/QUOTE]

I will too if that happens.

For me its all about the games. Redesign or not, there are no games I am dying to play on the system. Give me more games and better games and I will bite.

[quote name='dallow']As soon as you can get custom firmware on it, I'll buy one.[/quote]

+1 :applause:

If the price is right, and it has the bulit in Memory, and faster loading times I might buy one anyway. Hell the only thing I use the custom firmware for is reagon free UMD movies.

my d-pad is exactly the same as the d-pad on the PS3, but other than that, sound cool.

#5 - Are they expecting all 20+ million PSP owners to buy a new PSP now

but i'm sure the Wii lite will be the coolest thing ever :roll:

[quote name='dallow']As soon as you can get custom firmware on it, I'll buy one.[/quote]

+ 1 more. All I need is custom FW and I'm sold.

I'll hold judgment on it.

Shocked that it uses UMDs? Please. A combination of (1) a faster drive and (2) savvier developers should make loading issues quite minimal.

Interesting to see the internal memory - its sizable, but it kills off the hope of people loading their own PSX games and emulators (and ISOs for pirates like nongame) on the system - for the moment, anyway.

Or does it?

[quote name='mykevermin']
Or does it?[/QUOTE]

given Sony's track record- no way. :lol:

I read this article again. If they really make all of those improvements it would make a pretty big difference. Better Screen, Better Battery Life, Better Controls, Slimer Size, Faster UMD Drive, and Internal Storage. Although I've come to terms with the PSP for what it is (I'm loving it now) these would be welcome improvements. Those features would be pretty great IMO. I think it could be a really strong DS Lite contender as well.

hanks mostly to a new LED screen that will deliver an ultra-crisp image but take up far less space.

missed this...so are they saying the screen will be smaller?

[quote name='flizmo007']For me its all about the games. Redesign or not, there are no games I am dying to play on the system. Give me more games and better games and I will bite.[/quote]

Jeeze, you must be really, really, really picky then.

missed this...so are they saying the screen will be smaller?
Probably mean the stuff underneath and what's powering the screen.

I'm buying 5. Hopefully this also means the price of the current models will go down, and I'm looking at you, blue and pink ones.

Remember people, it's not the PSP2.
Just a redesign, so of course it has the UMD drive, you gotz to play ya old PSP gamez.

PSP2 is probably still off a couple years.

[quote name='Apossum']missed this...so are they saying the screen will be smaller?[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking from the article they mean in thickness since they are talking about how it makes the unit slimmer. Not in the actual dimensions of what we see.

dude at best buy said they been hearing Rumors AND I SAID RUMORS

Nintendo big announcement a NEW GAMEbOY SYSTEM hitting xmas 2008 (though they would love to see it hit 2007 but there are no games for it)

they said this is why you have seen all support for the gba die off cause they are working on a new system .....

It would be nice but doubtful.... its probally a music or movie player for the ds

People here associated me recently with this?? The credibility of your future attacks on me has been, as of this moment, completely forfeited. Congratulations.

If this report builds steam over the next few weeks, I might have to sell mine sooner than later, just to recoup a C-note. The internal memory and substantially increased battery life are very enticing.

Mothafuckin cosign on this. I was a millimeter away from selling my ceramic until I threw custom firmware on it and then bam it's the only system I play. SNES library on the go? Hell yes.

It would be nice if true, but the one thing that makes me think it's not is the 8gb onboard memory. Sony would be losing a lot of money if they did that, on the system and on MS sales. Even a 4 gb nano goes for $200. If it's true though, I would probably rebuy the PSP again.

Improved battery life? I'm in. A reasonable price and some kind of clamshell screen cover and I'm there, day one.

And on that flipside, if the internal flash memory isn't there (or is 1 GB or less), I'll be fine with what I've already got.

LOL I'm probably the only person that cares about this, but I pray to God the redesign will use matte black and not glossy black. That and the revamped D-pad is most important to me. I used to have a 1.5 PSP with SNES emulation but not being able to jump forward and backwards in Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat II (SNES) left me disgusted with the D-pad so I returned the system.

[quote name='Kendro']LOL I'm probably the only person that cares about this, but I pray to God the redesign will use matte black and not glossy black. That and the revamped D-pad is most important to me. I used to have a 1.5 PSP with SNES emulation but not being able to jump forward and backwards in Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat II (SNES) left me disgusted with the D-pad so I returned the system.[/QUOTE]

Matte FTW.

How about a NGPC style analog stick? No? Oh well then who fucking cares.

I kid. I may get one myself if I can put memory sticks in it still.

[quote name='Thongsy']It would be nice if true, but the one thing that makes me think it's not is the 8gb onboard memory. Sony would be losing a lot of money if they did that, on the system and on MS sales. Even a 4 gb nano goes for $200. If it's true though, I would probably rebuy the PSP again.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing when I read 8 GB. That is a shitload of flash memory for a portable device. It makes me wonder if Sony is going to allow loading of UMDs straight to flash memory for insta-load times.

My comment about be disappointed that they are not ditching UMD is coming from my DS experience. Near instant loads, less moving parts (improved battery life and reliability), and self-protecting design are what a portable system needs, IMO.

I highly doubt the PSPLite is going to have a clamshell design. If the entire unit is supposedly thinner, there is no way there is going to be a cover on it.

If this is a go I'm in for one. If there really is 8gb of internal memory and its still $170 and there is custom firmware this is a no brainer. PSX library on the go.

[quote name='Thongsy']It would be nice if true, but the one thing that makes me think it's not is the 8gb onboard memory. Sony would be losing a lot of money if they did that, on the system and on MS sales. Even a 4 gb nano goes for $200. If it's true though, I would probably rebuy the PSP again.[/quote]

You're paying for the Apple name on that one.

You can get 8GB flash sticks for less than $100.

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/5223947;jsessionid=sN9b-GvlGEBPjS1wf61EQQ**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

8GB CF, and SD cards are even cheaper.

As a longtime PSP hater, it really is underrated. it was a bad system for about the first year or so of it's life, but IF you use custom firmware, and IF you have any interest at all in playing PSOne games or older games portably, the PSP is a MUST HAVE device. The cheapass $10-20 games are just icing on the cake at that point.

[quote name='hhhdx4']Why do people think Sony will allow you to use custom firmware?[/quote]

We don't - we are saying that we will buy one once DarkAlex or whoever cracks the firmware and creates a custom one with all of the features we are currently enjoying.... at least that's what I'm saying...

Ok, I just read the original post again and.... is this a typo?

It says it uses an LED screen, not LCD.
So those super thin OLED screens are making their way to the PSP?

E3 can't come fast enough.

Maybe I'll get the new one and keep the official FW on it for to keep up with my PS3.

PSP Phat for homebrew.
PSP Slim for PS3 play.

still taking a wait and see with this.....besides the much wanted 2nd analog stick, this newer version fixws most of the complaints a lot of people had about the PSP. Now.....NOT trying to start a flame war here, but how often does a company (espically Sony) listen to the fans??? I do hope it is true, i spend most of my gaming time split between the PSP< and the DS. I haven't turned on my PS2 in quite awhile.

Yeah, if this was cheap enough i could see getting a "official" PSP on top of an old one for homebrew.

Get em while you can, folks. those 2.71 systems won't be around forever.

[quote name='lebowsky']From Kotaku:

Now I wonder if the rumored "major hardware announcement" from Nintendo will be yet another DS redesign?[/QUOTE]

You should state in the title that this is only a RUMOR
The only indication of this is in the url and a lot people may have missed that (you included).
So your ideal psp redesign is to scrap the UMD?
That is a horrible idea.
For some reason, you realize that but still think that it the UMD is a bad idea.
???
This is suppose to be a redesign of the psp, NOT a psp2.
There is nothing seriously wrong with the UMD.
There are many games on the PSP that load quickly.
(I blame the developers on this issue).

I also find it hard to believe that this thing is going cost $170 with the 8GB flash drive.
I think Sony is losing enough money already at this moment with the PS3 (maybe Sony's new strategy is to lose money?!?).
I'm not saying a PSP redesign is not possible.
It is just some of the info are a bit unrealistic.

Finally, as many have stated before, the main issue with the PSP lies within the games, NOT the hardware. A hardware redesign will definitely boost sales for the PSP hardware. However, it is a stupid decision in the long run if the only reason people are buying it is to use it as a video/audio player and run homebrew. I know a lot of people running emulators on the PSP. I'm not saying emulators are bad but the main reason for owning a PSP should be to play PSP games.

Sony should be pumping money into developing more games that show off the the PSP's full capabilities (whatever that may be) and none of the short comings before moving onto a tweaked platform that won't do more.

Hell, take that engineering money and gift all current PSP owners with a higher capacity battery as a thank you for your support instead.

The size of the PSP is basically the same as a closed DS lite and having both to compare now, I don't get any of the past complaints.

Besides getting thinner and lighter there really is no place to make it smaller.
I'm happy with the current PSP and also wish only for a matte exterior.

Down with gloss!!!

One thing though is that even if all these changes happen unless it gets haxxored with custom firmware I probably still won't get it.

Fixed d-pad
8-12 hour battery
Smaller
Faster load times
Internal memory of 8gb
$169.99 or lower

Need my emus or its a no go.

Also sucks that it isn't out yet would have been sweet if it was announced a couple months ago and came out this month because I have a summer job that means I will be taking a 45 minute train to the city and 45 minutes back almost every day. I have my DS Lite but I really want some PSX action.

it's been bound to happen for too long plus with the constant on and offs of execs confirming.

I will be happy mostly about the d-pad. everything else is a plus.

[quote name='KingBroly']#5 - Are they expecting all 20+ million PSP owners to buy a new PSP now?[/QUOTE]Don't you think if they did they would have ditched the UMD? It's merely cosmetic.

bread's done
Back