Kryptonite Bike Lock Users - Beware!

The cylinder locks that they use, are used all over the place: vending machines, elevators, ect..

I just went down the Coke machine by my mail room. I won't say whether it worked or not. But lets just say, be affraid, be very affraid if you use this kind of lock on anything you own.

I saw that article earlier but had not seen the movie before. Damn that is scary!!!!!!!! How did it take so long for someone to find this out?? these locks have been used for soooooooo long

Basically the movie shows someone with a bic pen with the head and ink tube removed and jsut the plastic case. They simply took the tube and put the top of it into the circular lock as if it was a key. They then just jiggled it a couple times and the lock popped open!

some guy in my building had one of those locks, i think im gunna see how easy it is, just to try, stealing bikes is pretty low

[quote name='Dok Diamond']ok i saw the video, im going after some vending machines.[/quote]

pick me up some coke dude!

I've just realized that we have no Bic pens in the house.:( We have like hundreds of pens but they're all automatic or papermate, the one Bic pen is automatic, lol. Guess I'll have to go to the dollar store tommorow for err..."school supplies".

You really should use a cord + combination lock.

While they can be broken, it will need to be cut, which is a lot more obvious that a bic pen, which could look like using a key.

Have any of you guys have heard about a Kryptonite lock exchange? I saw a news article about it; Unfortunately, the Kryptonite Website is down right now.

Video link doesn't work for me either, probably due to high traffic? This should come in handy next time I'm low on change and need a drink, thanks!

[quote name='humidore']Video link doesn't work for me either, probably due to high traffic? This should come in handy next time I'm low on change and need a drink, thanks![/QUOTE]

Did you notice this is from over a year ago?

[quote name='Moxio']Old thread![/QUOTE]
Its an old thread but I brought it back to life for legit reasons. I wanted to know if anyone heard anything about the Kryptonite lock exchange. I have 2 of those locks and they are nothing but paperweights. I want to get rid of them.

This has been out for a while. The guy at cycle loft (the best bike store in this area) told me this in august of 2004. I wanted a lock for my bike at school since I'd be living in a city (toronto), and he advised against that type of lock for that reason. I think they have had the lock fixed for a while now, but I'm not certain.

edit: Seems that it's an old thread.

bread's done
Back