L.A. Noire - Gen. Discussion & Info - Rockstar Pass 800pts: All Pre-order DLC + More!

[quote name='Indignate']The only real difference between the games that I know of is that on the 360 the framerate is a somewhat worse, there are some jagged edges, draw-in is more noticeable, and the three disk.[/QUOTE]

So is the consensus that the PS3 version is the one to own for those who have both consoles? Normally I like the 360 controller for games with shooting, but it doesn't look like that's a substantial part of L.A. Noire. The 1 disc vs. 3 discs thing already had me leaning PS3 whenever I eventually pick up the game.

I can't figure out if this game is worth buying or not. Is it really the case that no matter what you do you solve the case? If so, what's the point of playing? Just to see the story?

^Yes, its all about the facial capture. At one point I tried to guess if they were lying based on the body movement, and was wrong. Also since this is a "movie-game" when it comes to lying there are some give-aways since some actors are better than others.

[quote name='BingoBrown']So is the consensus that the PS3 version is the one to own for those who have both consoles? Normally I like the 360 controller for games with shooting, but it doesn't look like that's a substantial part of L.A. Noire. The 1 disc vs. 3 discs thing already had me leaning PS3 whenever I eventually pick up the game.[/QUOTE]
Everything I've heard is that the frame rate, pop-in, and texture resolution are better on PS3. There is a fair amount of shooting, but it's very basic and the controls are pretty clunky anyway even on 360, so I wouldn't make a decision based on that.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Yep.[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me,
i dunno how i got that wrong, or i should say how the evidence showed the OTHER guy did it and not the one i convicted.

As far as 360 version, there were a couple times where i felt the frame rate dropped a little, but it was quick and rare. Pop in, I really dont see it that much, its not like GTA where you are driving 200 MPH and the game cant load it in fast enough. The cars dont drive that fast in this game. The only pop in i see constantly, is how the headlights from the car dont turn on until im almost through a tunnel.

Swapping discs hasnt really been a big problem for me. I am on disc 2, but its not like you have to keep swapping them constantly. I think i played 6+ hours before i had to put in disc 2. Only problem is if you want to replay a crime you have to put in the correct disc.

I think the only problem with this game is there is no real way to lose. They shouldnt tell you if you got the questions right or wrong, and there should be a way to fail and lose your job or something and have to do it over. You should have to convict the right person to win the case. But right now its a solve no matter what. I guess it works good for one case so far, where you get to choose who to convict, but for the rest there isnt even the option.

Im on disc 2, solved 11/21 cases and have played 8 hours 22 minutes so far.

[quote name='007']Integrated. If you had no idea what the name of the DLC was, you'd never tell the difference between that and the normal flow of cases. I got the Wal-Mart one, which is the Traffic case, and it ended up being case number 3 on that desk.

You can always play it through the Cases menu, too. Don't know what happens if you don't download it until after you're off a certain desk, though... I'd assume you just play it seperately then.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I hope this is the case as I have the PS3 version with 2 cases waiting to redeem and another DLC waiting on Tuesday apparently.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I think the only problem with this game is there is no real way to lose. They shouldnt tell you if you got the questions right or wrong, and there should be a way to fail and lose your job or something and have to do it over. You should have to convict the right person to win the case. But right now its a solve no matter what. I guess it works good for one case so far, where you get to choose who to convict, but for the rest there isnt even the option.

Im on disc 2, solved 11/21 cases and have played 8 hours 22 minutes so far.[/QUOTE]

I feel like the getting "right" answer in the interrogations is irrelevant. All it affects is your rating at the end of the case. Also, the interrogations themselves are pretty linear. I felt for sure I had someone caught in a lie with the right evidence to back it up but got stonewalled because it wasn't the "right" evidence.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I think the only problem with this game is there is no real way to lose. They shouldnt tell you if you got the questions right or wrong, and there should be a way to fail and lose your job or something and have to do it over. You should have to convict the right person to win the case. But right now its a solve no matter what. I guess it works good for one case so far, where you get to choose who to convict, but for the rest there isnt even the option.

Im on disc 2, solved 11/21 cases and have played 8 hours 22 minutes so far.[/QUOTE]

I think it's just something different than we're all used to; more movie than game.

Its annoying when you get the interrogation wrong. Mainly because its so inconsistent. Like a guy brushes his nose, makes you think he is lying, but isnt. Then a dude looks you dead in the eyes, you think he is telling the truth, but he isnt. Sometimes its obvious the way he is looking around or something that he is lying. But sometimes not so much.

But yeah i thought this game would be more like Hotel Dusk where you needed to find hard clues to figure out who it is. Not just find clues and the case solves itself, and you are graded on how well you guess if they are telling the truth or not.

^You can....Once you get a question wrong you can quit to the main menu. When you resume case it will be at the save-point before the interrogation began.

Accidentally killed a pedestrian.. Well, got a pedestrian killed.. I was running and shoved the person, who was then run over by a car. Oops. I hope it doesn't hurt my case rating.

Games fantastic, I for one am glad its different and not like GTA, has a Heavy Rain feel to it, I am sure we will see an evolution in this type of genre.

[quote name='CaptainKirk']Does anyone else like the game alot?....BUT are worn out by the cases and take a long break every 2 cases or so?[/QUOTE]

Me. I play a couple cases a day and then take a break.

Wow i spent about 30 minutes earlier just finding hidden cars, and the sites you can find. Load up the game now and they are all back hidden. Guess they dont save after finding them. I was driving around trying to find a random crime to pop up, but never did, so all was lost.

[quote name='shieryda']http://www.destructoid.com/l-a-noire-overheats-xbox-360s-as-well-as-ps3s-update--201500.phtml[/QUOTE]
Not surprising.

A new, highly anticipated game comes out. Many, many people buy it. Those people then start playing it in marathon sessions. Game system overheats.

Then a spurious correlation is made between a particular game and overheating. It's possible that if you put in any other game and played it for many hours, the same system would still overheat. It's likely that many game systems were dormant for a period of time before the game came out.

The more I play this the less impressed I've become.

I thought it was going to be a detective game but theres really no depth to it, the game holds your hand through the whole thing. Even with the hints turned off it's just to damn forgiving. I've come to the point where I just don't see any reason to investigate every lead when I can just skip to central and convict someone with the same result. I think I'm going to try and power through this the next two days and dump it while resale is still high.

[quote name='Spokker']Not surprising.

A new, highly anticipated game comes out. Many, many people buy it. Those people then start playing it in marathon sessions. Game system overheats.

Then a spurious correlation is made between a particular game and overheating. It's possible that if you put in any other game and played it for many hours, the same system would still overheat. It's likely that many game systems were dormant for a period of time before the game came out.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I haven't played any marathon sessions but before I even read about this I noticed that my xbox was running a lot hotter than normal.

I made it to vice today, did 2 of the 3 missions and wow.... its so boring. I cant wait to get this 3rd case over with to move onto arson. In the 2nd vice case "the set up" i found all the clues, but answered all the interrogation questions wrong, ended up with 1 star. But yeah, vice has been really boring compared to homicide. Either that or im just getting bored all together with drive here, find clues there, try to tell if they are lying, case solved.

Have 5-star'd every case up to Arson desk (including "Naked City"), 30/30 landmarks, 20/20 badges, 20/50 film reels, & about 55/95 vehicles driven...

LOVE this game, haven't clocked 25 hours in a single-player game (in under 5 days) like this since Mass Effect 2. if anybody has a DLC code for "A Slip of The Tongue"/"Nicholson Plating", inbox me

My game has a lot of pop in and slow down now. Especially when im in car chases. And why do cars feel the need to stop in the middle of an intersection when they are right in front of me? Im not even talking about during car chases or driving with my siren on. They just seem to stop in front of me.

[quote name='The 7th Number']My game has a lot of pop in and slow down now. Especially when im in car chases. And why do cars feel the need to stop in the middle of an intersection when they are right in front of me? Im not even talking about during car chases or driving with my siren on. They just seem to stop in front of me.[/QUOTE]

I cringe every time I have to do a car chase. Every little thing stops the car.

Just a tip for those that are like me and want to do fast travel but don't want to miss the street crimes. I figured out that if you check the map just about after every new place you go the street crime is on the map, meaning you don't have to drive around and wait for dispatch to alert you. You can then mark that location on the map and have your partner fast travel there too. I really wish I would have noticed this when I first started playing

Just started to play the gas man case, beginning cut scene shows a guy putting together some device. But for me he was putting something invisible together, because it wasnt loaded. Had to quit and load the save to actually see it the 2nd time. wow.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Just started to play the gas man case, beginning cut scene shows a guy putting together some device. But for me he was putting something invisible together, because it wasnt loaded. Had to quit and load the save to actually see it the 2nd time. wow.[/QUOTE]

If you keep having issues like that, you may want to try clearing the HDD cache.

Anyone know how to fire a warning shot, tackle a suspect? I keep the reticle on the suspect but it doesn't have a circle that fills like it did in the tutorial mission. I went after a different suspect that was armed and tried to tackle him, but despite dry humping him multiple times all I ever did was get shot.

I've been shooting so many suspects that I'm starting to think Cole goes after murderers just to get rid of the competition. At this point I feel less like a detective and more like Judge Dredd.

Yeah, the pop-up in this game is awful. I don't know how/why they let the game ship in this state. During the first case on the second disc, my partner was driving and he was just driving on muddy looking land - the texture just wouldn't load. Right after the conversation finished, everything popped up at once.

I'm mid-way through the second disc and every case is the same thing. THE SAME THING! The repetition in this game is beyond annoying. The pedestrians repeat like the same five things over and over! "Isn't that the guy that solved the big case and got the promotion?" "Isn't that the guy that busted the movie producer! Good! I'm glad they went to jail, they think they're untouchable!" etcetcetc. The only comfort I have is the fact that I can shove them. The partner AI is also pretty bad. He constantly blocks my path and if he goes to get in the car and I pull away, he won't try to get in the car again until I get out of the car and get back in.

I'm on the Quarter Moon Murders and finally, something has changed. FINALLY.

And yeah, the game REALLY holds your hand the entire way. Aside from the very first case, there's no real way to "fail" the interrogations.

I'll be surprised if I don't sell this game by the end of the weekend.

Anyone know how to fire a warning shot, tackle a suspect? I keep the reticle on the suspect but it doesn't have a circle that fills like it did in the tutorial mission. I went after a different suspect that was armed and tried to tackle him, but despite dry humping him multiple times all I ever did was get shot.

This is another one of my annoyances with the game. You can't just fire a warning shot whenever you want, and you can't tackle any suspect. If the circle doesn't pop up when you put the reticle over them, you won't be able to fire a warning shot. I don't even think you can start tackling suspects until the second disc, when the game instructs you on how to. For suspects the game wants you to tackle, they run super slow and you find yourself gaining on them quickly.. any other time you have to shoot them (or do the warning shot, if the game lets you).

I guess it's up to the gamer. I think this is the game of the year so far. Something fresh, and I have no clue why some of you are saying it doesn't matter what you do in interrogations, from what I've seen it does matter. On one case I wasn't satisfied with my ending, restarted before it saved, and got a different one due to a different answer or two.

And I've never done something in a game like what you have to do during the Half Moon Murders case, it kept me engaged the whole time. I really hope there is a sequel to this, perhaps in a new setting (1970's NYC?)

This is DEFINITELY not a game for someone who wants to replay GTAIV in L.A in the 40's, that's for sure.

I WILL say that it'd be nice to be able to decide whether you'd like to shoot to kill or incapacitate by shooting at the legs or something. In a lot of these cases, I wanted to bring the suspect to trial not just clip them and leave it at that.

The "side missions" in this game are awful. Repetitive and boring and they take about 30 seconds each.

Also, does it piss anyone else off that whenever you accuse someone of lying they say "oh, yea how you gonna prove that?". Especially when it's something about their criminal background. Dude!! I'm the fucking cops, OF COURSE I can prove that shit!

[quote name='n4styn4t3']The "side missions" in this game are awful. Repetitive and boring and they take about 30 seconds each.

Also, does it piss anyone else off that whenever you accuse someone of lying they say "oh, yea how you gonna prove that?". Especially when it's something about their criminal background. Dude!! I'm the fucking cops, OF COURSE I can prove that shit![/QUOTE]

What bothers me is there are times when more than one piece of evidence looks like it can prove your point (ties them to the scene/suspect and would prove they are lying), but it's not the exact item the game wanted you to choose....and the interview continues like you never selected anything.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']The "side missions" in this game are awful. Repetitive and boring and they take about 30 seconds each.

Also, does it piss anyone else off that whenever you accuse someone of lying they say "oh, yea how you gonna prove that?". Especially when it's something about their criminal background. Dude!! I'm the fucking cops, OF COURSE I can prove that shit![/QUOTE]

Yeah but you have to have proof in your notebook to back up if you say someone is lying. I just hate it because one time they said something, so i said they were lying because i had proof, and then i press lie, and they asked me to prove they were lying about something else than what we were talking about, and im like LOLWUT?

It does seem incredibly arbitrary how in some situations you're supposed to stop them with a warning shot, in others you're supposed to punch them out, and in others you're supposed to shoot them dead, and never the twain shall meet. Why couldn't they have just made all of those things possible, and then just, you know, let the gameplay unfold in an unforced way. It's particularly ridiculous when you fail a case for shooting and killing a suspect, when in other cases you're mowing down guys by the dozen like you're Soap in Call of Duty.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']It does seem incredibly arbitrary how in some situations you're supposed to stop them with a warning shot, in others you're supposed to punch them out, and in others you're supposed to shoot them dead, and never the twain shall meet. Why couldn't they have just made all of those things possible, and then just, you know, let the gameplay unfold in an unforced way. It's particularly ridiculous when you fail a case for shooting and killing a suspect, when in other cases you're mowing down guys by the dozen like you're Soap in Call of Duty.[/QUOTE]

What bothers me about it is that at this rate the biggest danger to public safety is Cole.

[quote name='Sonne']I guess it's up to the gamer. I think this is the game of the year so far. Something fresh, and I have no clue why some of you are saying it doesn't matter what you do in interrogations, from what I've seen it does matter. On one case I wasn't satisfied with my ending, restarted before it saved, and got a different one due to a different answer or two.

And I've never done something in a game like what you have to do during the Half Moon Murders case, it kept me engaged the whole time. I really hope there is a sequel to this, perhaps in a new setting (1970's NYC?)

This is DEFINITELY not a game for someone who wants to replay GTAIV in L.A in the 40's, that's for sure.

I WILL say that it'd be nice to be able to decide whether you'd like to shoot to kill or incapacitate by shooting at the legs or something. In a lot of these cases, I wanted to bring the suspect to trial not just clip them and leave it at that.[/QUOTE]

I don't think any of us expected GTAIV in the 1940's. Why is that everyones answer as to why others don't think this game lives up to its hype? I expected something in the vein of old school point and click adventures. What I got was a repetitive unpolished game that holds your hand.

I'm addressing your point about the case endings being different but only read if you have completed homicide
The only place the endings are different for messing up interrogations is in Homicide, it just means you convict someone else and it doesn't matter at all since they were all innocent anyways.

If this wins any GOTY awards I'll be mighty pissed because so much of it just feels unpolished.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']I feel like the getting "right" answer in the interrogations is irrelevant. All it affects is your rating at the end of the case. [/QUOTE]

It isn't any different from any game where you get a score or a rating for how you did, even if you end up at the same place every time. If they did it another way, such as making you start over if you didn't get the right evidence, there would be a lot of people complaining too.

I felt for sure I had someone caught in a lie with the right evidence to back it up but got stonewalled because it wasn't the "right" evidence.

It isn't any different from adventure games where you need to have the right absurd combination of items to solve a puzzle.

After a couple of early rocky cases, I seem to have figured out the game's logic and have been 5-staring cases on my first try from there on out.

Yeah its annoying when you are talking about something, call him a liar, then he flip flops the conversation to something else you dont have proof for.

Maybe this game isnt for me. I have a hard time remembering names, and stuff like that. They keep mentioning names from old cases and i really dont remember them, and there is no way to look at past profiles within the game. That would have been nice.

Damn. I just hit the change from disc 1 to disc 2, and didn't have disc 2 installed on the HDD yet. It was brutal! Characters and scenery suddenly loading into a cutscene that had already been going on for almost a minute, cars popping into existence right in front of me as I'm driving down the street, practically every texture loading a few seconds late. People without HDDs are supposed to play the entire game that way?! :cold:

Just finished the game. Overall it was an interesting game, but didnt really feel that deep. Didnt really love the story either. Game of the year? No. Something fresh and new, hell yes! Sort of.

Problem was
all the cases ended up linked with one of the 2 big stories. I would rather of had small cases to open and shut.

Oh well, not a game im looking to keep in my collection. Ill be putting this on ebay soon. Might try to get some achievements, maybe 100%.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Damn. I just hit the change from disc 1 to disc 2, and didn't have disc 2 installed on the HDD yet. It was brutal! Characters and scenery suddenly loading into a cutscene that had already been going on for almost a minute, cars popping into existence right in front of me as I'm driving down the street, practically every texture loading a few seconds late. People without HDDs are supposed to play the entire game that way?! :cold:[/QUOTE]

Erm...I never install games and I never had something like that happen. The only thing is that I have the subtitles on (so I don't miss anything), so I notice sometimes there are lines of dialogue that aren't actually said. Dunno what's up with your copy, but that sounds annoying. And I still see that people show that they are playing that arcade game when they are really playing L.A Noire.

Oh, and I'm totally with you guys on the side missions. They are all the same.

Still, I love the game.

I always keep the subtitles on too. I've noticed a couple of times when Captain Donnelley's lines seemed far quieter than anyone else's, almost too low to hear. No other problems with dialogue though.

Man, this game is the most wildly inconsistent but maddeningly engaging game I've played in a long time. I want to love the game, but I can only ever like it because of its, shall we say, idiosyncrasies.

The destructibility of the environment is a good start. I can't figure out how my car can pop off a fire hydrant, lamppost, or traffic light like it's not there, but a fence or hedge proves too much for my car. Car chases in general are just awful. They're never fun because of how wildly obnoxious the environment can be to traverse.

Or how I can never tell whether or not I'm supposed to apprehend (tackle/fire warning shot/etc.) or subdue (shoot) a suspect I'm chasing in the various main cases. I just have to hope I'm doing what the game wants.

Or how the game has on occasion forgotten what choice I've made (i.e. I charge Suspect A, but in the subsequent case, Suspect B is referenced as being apprehended.) In fact, much of the dialogue system has the same problems of Mass Effect/Dragon Age, where a short blurb can mislead what the full statement is, and makes it exponentially worse by not giving any clue as to what Phelps will say at all. I've accused a number of people of lying, or doubted their statement, only to have it reference something else and to fail that question because of it. It's even worse with presenting evidence. I've had pieces of evidence that should logically work but don't, and it's maddening trying to figure out the logic of what the game wants.

But for all those annoyances, the story and cases really reel me in and keep me engaged, and I'm just itching to finish it. I'm on Arson right now.

EDIT: But this bothers me. Spoilers for Homicide and Arson cases, ye be warned:
I think what's gnawing at me ultimately right now is that there's no sense of resolution to any of the cases. In the Homicide desk, you had to put someone away for every case but ultimately, the choice (and thus the dramatic weight of it) was nullified since it was all by one person and no matter who you locked up, you hadn't caught the real perp. I caught on to who it was only two cases in once I'd connected the dots, and so I knew I could just lock up whoever I wanted until the game let me get to the point where I could confront the real villain. I've only beat the first Arson desk, so I don't know yet if I'm right yet, but it looks to be the same damn case with Arson too, so if it doesn't matter who I lock up, why should I care about going through the process of catching someone who didn't do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the first game I ever played with subtitles off. They distracted me from watching the faces of people.

18.5 hours played and beat the game. Still wishing PSN was up so I could download my 2 free bonus cases. I wonder if it will even be possible to include the fraud and burglary desks Team Bondi had to cut to get the game down to 1 BR/3 DVD's.

Note: In an interview with 1up, the head of Team Bondi said they had to cut 2 whole desks, the fraud and burglary desks. They are after traffic and before homicide, during the "6 months later" message you see after traffic. If you notice when Captain Donnelley introduces Phelps, he says Phelps was promoted from burglary, not traffic.

http://www.1up.com/previews/la-noire-interview-why-seven-years
http://www.1up.com/news/la-noire-creator-drops-hint-dlc

I've only seen a few graphical hiccups in my playthrough on the PS3 version. Twice it was textures not loading immediately in a scene, the other 2 times it was character's mouths not moving but the conversation goes normally for about 5 second stretches. Once or twice I had some pop up when driving. Seems to be a much smoother graphical experience on PS3 giving the stories you guys are saying.

With everybody talking bad about the game now, I'm rethinking buying this...
Oh well, I just picked up a few new games anyway, I'll wait and see I guess.

Yeah, I've been holding off getting it right away. Maybe a few months down the line if it gets cheaper.

Some of the feedback is a bit disheartening, as I had high hopes for the game. Watched some vids on youtube and it becomes clear very quickly that the game has it's own logic when it comes to interviews and using evidence.

I'm still looking forward to playing it. But it doesn't seem to be as open or in depth as I thought. Packs of potential, but seems the 6 years development was mostly about the facial motion scanning.

bread's done
Back