La Pucelle or Disgaea?

MauMauProductions

CAGiversary!
Today In eb I made the decision to buy Disgaea, although I love it so far and think its incredibly fun was it the right investment? Ive noticed Disgaea kept its value but should I have opted for the similiarly priced new La Pucelle? I only had enough for one...

I don't think you have to play them in order, if that's what you're worried about. Enjoy Disgaea in all it's glory. La Pucelle will still be there by the time you get done with it. And by the time you get done with LaPu, Phantom Brave will be around the corner.

While I agree $$ wise with your decision, IMO La Pucelle is the better game. I have both and in truth just got Disgaea last week and la pucelle last friday, and La Pucelle has a much larger scale IMO. I love Disgaea's darkness and twisted characters as well, but la Pucelle's characters are very over the top as well, very well written cut scenes(much more so then disgara, and a larger cast as well.) and the gameplay is awesome (just as disgaea), for it is is la pucelle, but Disgaea is right behind it. Awesome games, both of them.

Is LaPucelle as 'detailed' or micro-specific as Disgaea? I bought Disgaea not too long after it came out, and I really didn't like it. I love the tactical games, and I love the characters and tone of the game, but it's just too detailed/micromanagement-oriented for me. It's like there's *too much* to do/keep track of [for my own enjoyment.]
I liked Shining Force, Final Fantasy Tactics, Front Mission 3, Rhapsody, things like that. How does LP compare to Disgaea gameplay-wise?

[quote name='dtcarson']Is LaPucelle as 'detailed' or micro-specific as Disgaea? I bought Disgaea not too long after it came out, and I really didn't like it. I love the tactical games, and I love the characters and tone of the game, but it's just too detailed/micromanagement-oriented for me. It's like there's *too much* to do/keep track of [for my own enjoyment.]
I liked Shining Force, Final Fantasy Tactics, Front Mission 3, Rhapsody, things like that. How does LP compare to Disgaea gameplay-wise?[/quote]

That's funny. I thought Disgaea seemed less tedious than FFT or FM3. Probably because I was having a lot more fun in Disgaea and never noticed it.

[quote name='"jmcc']That's funny. I thought Disgaea seemed less tedious than FFT or FM3. Probably because I was having a lot more fun in Disgaea and never noticed it.[/quote]

This is true. I usually hate micro-management, but Disgaea was so fun that it made it fun.

[quote name='Dead of Knight'][quote name='jmcc']That's funny. I thought Disgaea seemed less tedious than FFT or FM3. Probably because I was having a lot more fun in Disgaea and never noticed it.[/quote]

This is true. I usually hate micro-management, but Disgaea was so fun that it made it fun.[/quote]

I think, for me, it was that I didn't have to worry about keeping all my characters at the exact same level, since there was no threat of them dying permanently and being able to petition the Dark Congress for enemy level changes as needed.

La Pucelle came out WAY before disgaea and from what I read you can tell when playing it that it's a huge step backwards.

Having played both of them, there's a few gameplay mechanic differences, but other than that they're VERY similar. You can't go wrong with either, but La Pucelle does have a tighter story if you have to choose between the two. And Disgaea is slightly better in terms of graphics. If you like one, you'll likely like the other just as much, and vice versa if you didn't.

HOLY SHIT!!! That's why everyone already knew that La Pucelle would be a great game, it's the sequel to Disgaea!!! I feel smart :D .

[quote name='XboxMaster']HOLY SHIT!!! That's why everyone already knew that La Pucelle would be a great game, it's the sequel to Disgaea!!! I feel smart :D .[/quote]

Umm, not it's not. Disgaea came out a whiles after La Pucelle.

Wasabi, you can't tell it's a step back aside from the graphics. Other than that, at this point (12 hours into La Pucelle), Disgaea was the better game but LP is still amazing.

[quote name='RichD1'][quote name='XboxMaster']HOLY SHIT!!! That's why everyone already knew that La Pucelle would be a great game, it's the sequel to Disgaea!!! I feel smart :D .[/quote]

Wasabi, you can't tell it's a step back aside from the graphics. Other than that, at this point (12 hours into La Pucelle), Disgaea was the better game but LP is still amazing.[/quote]

Wait, what? La Pucelle just came out, so how could you say Disgaea came out after La Pucelle?

[quote name='XboxMaster'][quote name='RichD1'][quote name='XboxMaster']HOLY SHIT!!! That's why everyone already knew that La Pucelle would be a great game, it's the sequel to Disgaea!!! I feel smart :D .[/quote]

Wasabi, you can't tell it's a step back aside from the graphics. Other than that, at this point (12 hours into La Pucelle), Disgaea was the better game but LP is still amazing.[/quote]

Wait, what? La Pucelle just came out, so how could you say Disgaea came out after La Pucelle?[/quote]

It's an older game, it's just now localized to English.

for those that have played both games already, is it important to play the games in order, la pucelle first, then disgaea? or will i not miss any important story lines, etc? thanks.

[quote name='XboxMaster'][quote name='RichD1'][quote name='XboxMaster']HOLY SHIT!!! That's why everyone already knew that La Pucelle would be a great game, it's the sequel to Disgaea!!! I feel smart :D .[/quote]

Wait, what? La Pucelle just came out, so how could you say Disgaea came out after La Pucelle?[/quote]

because it probably got translated out of order

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']for those that have played both games already, is it important to play the games in order, la pucelle first, then disgaea? or will i not miss any important story lines, etc? thanks.[/quote]

No, you can play them in any order. They're almost completely unrelated.

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']for those that have played both games already, is it important to play the games in order, la pucelle first, then disgaea? or will i not miss any important story lines, etc? thanks.[/quote]

No, though I recommend it if only to see the evolution of the systems. But there really is no story transition, though there are Prinnies in Phantom Brave. :D

XboxMaster--
01/30/03 for Disgaea
01/31/02 for La Pucelle

[quote name='RichD1'][quote name='doraemonkerpal']for those that have played both games already, is it important to play the games in order, la pucelle first, then disgaea? or will i not miss any important story lines, etc? thanks.[/quote]

No, though I recommend it if only to see the evolution of the systems. But there really is no story transition, though there are Prinnies in Phantom Brave. :D

XboxMaster--
01/30/03 for Disgaea
01/31/02 for La Pucelle[/quote]

You're kidding, right? You must be, you have to be. I know 'cause around February, I saw La Pucelle in the previews section of several of my magazines. And I know for a fact that it was April I saw a thread asking if ppl are excited about La Pucelle coming out, it was scheduled to release later that month. Or did I just trip too long on acid and hallucinate all this?

La Pucelle game out first in Japan, before Disgaea. Disgaea was just localized to the US first. Which means that La Pucelle was developed first and is older than Disgaea. And since the structure of Disgaea was based on La Pucelle, the gameplay is probably more advanced.

bread's done
Back