Lack Of Retailer/system Icons Next To Forum Threads.

sadakou

CAGiversary!
Constructive criticism:

The new lack of retailer/system icons next to forum threads makes it a lot harder to quickly scroll through the deals forum when you are looking for specific things like "Best Buy Deal of the Day", "Target Clearance", or "3DS-related clearance".

Also, when the new dark theme is available, that needs to be the default one. GameFAQs and Destructoid switched to new blinding white themes, with the option for dark themes, but every time cookies/history are cleared it wipes the dark setting. Just make dark the default.

Non-constructive criticism:

Two major gaming sites (the other being GameFAQs) completely overhauling their layout with uneccesary bloat, trying to fix what wasn't broken.

We are going to do one better on that...filtering deal threads by retailer, platform, etc...
Great to hear! :)

Non-constructive criticism:

Two major gaming sites (the other being GameFAQs) completely overhauling their layout with uneccesary bloat, trying to fix what wasn't broken.
Also, vBulletin was very broken.
While I'm sure this is true for people who are super into web design, for us common folk who just need to browse and scroll through lists of text, both this site and GameFAQs worked just fine for the past 10 years.

I understand change is necessary, and that something may have been broken with the old one that user frontend users couldn't see, but was it really so bad as to completely overhaul the site? :/

While I'm sure this is true for people who are super into web design, for us common folk who just need to browse and scroll through lists of text, both this site and GameFAQs worked just fine for the past 10 years.
It's not about frontend features or anything like that, we were running on a 10 year old piece of software that was a nightmare to upgrade with our customisations (as it was never written with extensibility in mind), owned by a company that's slow to react to security hole discoveries, and filled with major design flaws that constantly caused problems. It's a lot of work keeping a big vB 3.8 forum running well these days, and I think we'd rather spend our efforts on new features rather than plugging holes in a sinking ship.

It's not about frontend features or anything like that, we were running on a 10 year old piece of software that was a nightmare to upgrade with our customisations (as it was never written with extensibility in mind), owned by a company that's slow to react to security hole discoveries, and filled with major design flaws that constantly caused problems. It's a lot of work keeping a big vB 3.8 forum running well these days, and I think we'd rather spend our efforts on new features rather than plugging holes in a sinking ship.

Gotcha. It's easy to take things for granted when you don't actually know what is going on behind the scenes. =)

bread's done
Back