Laptop battery not charging to 100%

jeffreyjrose

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
My Dell laptop is about 2 1/2 years old now, and the battery only charges to 60% now.

Does this mean the battery is about to suddenly die? Or will the battery continue to hold less and less of a charge over time until it dies?

[quote name='jeffreyjrose']My Dell laptop is about 2 1/2 years old now, and the battery only charges to 60% now.

Does this mean the battery is about to suddenly die? Or will the battery continue to hold less and less of a charge over time until it dies?[/quote]

It will probably hold less and less of a charge over time.

I had a battery for a camcorder a few years ago that eventually just didn't hold a charge. Some rechargable battery packs, like the one for the 360 controller, claim they be charged 1000 times before they start to hold less of a charge, but it depends. Frequent of charging and charging while nearly drained can affect battery lifespan. I've heard some say wait until almost depleted before recharging, I've heard others say recharge before it gets that low.

Have you tried to calibrate the battery? Procedures vary by model (sometimes its built in to the bios, sometimes you have to download a tool) so google your model# & battery calibration.

[quote name='jeffreyjrose']Or will the battery continue to hold less and less of a charge over time until it dies?[/quote]

Bingo. The same goes with any device that uses rechargeable batteries like the DS, PSP, iPod, portable DVD players, etc.

[quote name='klwillis45']Have you tried to calibrate the battery? Procedures vary by model (sometimes its built in to the bios, sometimes you have to download a tool) so google your model# & battery calibration.[/quote]

I've never heard of battery calibration before. What does it do?

[quote name='jeffreyjrose']I've never heard of battery calibration before. What does it do?[/QUOTE]

You go into your BIOS and run it, can take several hours. Basically it's supposed to drain the battery, then charge it back up to full.

Most laptops have this option, just depends on the BIOS. You'd have to get into it and just search around for some mention of calibration.

Basically it runs your battery down to zilch and then charges it back up as high as it can go. Your power meter will read much more accurately. However, that max charge may be lower than brand new since its still a possibilty that cells are dead/dying.

Yeah, it's probably going to lose a charge over time. I heavily use my battery and I was down to an hour of life. Bought a new one on ebay for $40 and I'm back up to almost four hours of life.

My last laptop battery was pretty much dead within a year. It held a charge for 10 min. at the max, but it still said it was at 80%.

[quote name='Strell']You go into your BIOS and run it, can take several hours. Basically it's supposed to drain the battery, then charge it back up to full.

Most laptops have this option, just depends on the BIOS. You'd have to get into it and just search around for some mention of calibration.[/QUOTE]

Very interesting.

I wonder if that has anything to do with what happened to me: Win98 machine, died. Installed 3.1. Battery didn't hold a charge at all. Installed Fiesty Fawn and now I have about an hour of charge.

Damnedest thing I've ever seen.

[quote name='Scrubsy']My last laptop battery was pretty much dead within a year. It held a charge for 10 min. at the max, but it still said it was at 80%.[/quote]Yeah. I love my HP battery. And the associated Circuit City protection plan that at the time did not cover batteries (now it does, thanks!). Haven't gotten around to buying a new one, but I always use it as a portable desktop computer, so I deal.

Some laptops what you do to calibrate the battery. Is run it down until the laptop dies don't plug it in. Just use it until it dies, then plug it in, and give it a full charge.

[quote name='Graystone']Some laptops what you do to calibrate the battery. Is run it down until the laptop dies don't plug it in. Just use it until it dies, then plug it in, and give it a full charge.[/quote]

Thanks Graystone! This is what I ended up doing, and the battery charges to a full 100% now. Woot!

bread's done
Back