Laptop For College

Vaio's are generally well made laptops, so you're good there. Personally, I think it's a bit silly to pay for Blu-ray on a laptop, because you're not really going to appreciate the quality unless you hook it up to a larger screen, in which case why not just buy a stand alone Blu-ray player?

Otherwise, that should be plenty for most gaming needs. I don't know your major, but it should be good for just about anything, unless you're going into video production or graphic design. In that case, get a Mac. It's probably what your classes will be taught on.

I'm doing Computer Engineering, and yeah I have a ps3 so the Blu ray player is a moot point, I might look for one without it and save a few more bucks to go towards a new printer or something since mine has been acting up.

The laptop isn't that bad, imho. But being a fresh-out-of-college kid myself, I'll toss in a few thoughts into buying a computer: If you could get away with it buy a laptop and a desktop, and I'll tell you the reason's why.

First, you mentioned that you like to game, and IMHO, nothing beats a stand-alone (and preferably hand-built) desktop for your gaming needs. If I had any bigger brains in my freshmen year, I would have built a college gaming PC, and picked up a very inexpensive laptop (probably second hand) just to tag along to the classroom. My laptop became fairly obsolete after my freshmen year, the HDD being too small for all the media files I started "acquiring", and the graphics card just can't keep up with the games at that time.

Right now, you could built/buy a gaming desktop, and for a mere ~200, get an inexpensive netbook to take to class and type notes in.

The reason I said this is that I bought a 'gaming laptop' to college with me, and trusted it to do double-duty. Well, for the gaming prowess of a desktop-grade processor being crammed into a laptop meant that my battery life was pathetically low, and I was lugging around 11lbs of weight just to have the convenience of a computer being with me. After my first semester, I just parked my laptop on my desk, and just relied on hand-written notes.

Speaking of battery life, that website of yours didn't mention any. How long are your classes to begin with? Would you have a long enough of a battery life to last you through the day? Would you be fighting over other comp-engineers in your classroom for AC outlets? I didn't really consider this question until the start of my college career.

Maybe your have a budget issue or space issue and you could only buy this one laptop. Coolios, since I believe this baby has enough power to play Crysis 2 if you want to. I'm just letting you know that sometimes, you really can't have your cake and eat it too.

[quote name='ImpurePhoen1x']http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6367158&CatId=4938

Any opinions on this laptop? I've been eying it for both college work and gaming in my spare time[/QUOTE]

I went through many laptops for mobility and gaming. Believe me, you do not want to carry around anything heavier than 5.5lbs.
Sadly there arent many good laptops at that weight.
I do have an asus N81V with a ati 4670 gpu.
It plays TF2 and SC2 on medium and isnt that bad to carry. The screen is 14"
You can find em on ebay

[quote name='rumarudrathas'] But being a fresh-out-of-college kid myself, I'll toss in a few thoughts into buying a computer: If you could get away with it buy a laptop and a desktop[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with him on this. What you will spend on a "pretty good" gaming laptop will get you a great desktop. Undercut that a bit, or spend more, for a cheap laptop and you have great portability and a monster gaming system. If you MUST have a laptop that can play games, then I guess go that route, but if your circumstances allow it a dual system setup just always sounds all around better.

bread's done
Back