Laptop for sister in college?

Zmonkay

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
So my sister's 4 year old dell just died on her, and she's pestering me for a good deal, which means I'm now pestering all of you :D Of course it had to happen AFTER black friday and cyber monday:bomb:

She doesn't care about gaming (peggle ftw though) and mainly wants it to be able to do Office, internet, and webchat with her boyfriend (she has a webcam, so no need for integrated). I've suggested a netbook for her, but she said the screen is too small on them and doesn't want the eye strain.

I was looking at the HP G60t, and after some random configuring it came to 461.18 after student discount

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edit
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) Processor T4300 (2.1 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB) edit
Memory FREE Ugprade to 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) edit
Hard drive FREE Upgrade to 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive from 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive edit
Graphics card Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M w/5-in-1 Digital Media Reader & HDMI - Celeron and Pentium edit
Display 15.6" diagonal High Definition HP Brightview Display (1366x768) edit
Primary optical drive LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support edit
Personalization Microphone Only edit
Networking Wireless-G Card edit
Keyboard HP Color Matching Keyboard edit
Primary battery 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery edit
Productivity software Microsoft(R) Works 9.0 edit
HP Care Pack Services 2-year HP Care Pack Pick Up and Return Service edit

Main concerns here are the battery life (she's gotten quite used to her 9 or 12 cell, I don't remember which) and fragility, as some reviews I've read make the laptop sound a little less sturdy than I would want for her (she's not the most gentle with her electronics... :roll: )

6 months no interest through bill me later is nice though. Typical poor college student that she is, free financing is a great help.

Anyone recommend something better? Your input is very much appreciated!

Also tell her to look into finicial aid office. Some schools , mine included, allow for computer costs to be calculated into cost of attendance and that could net her a refund

maxflight: thanks, but doesn't look like she'll be getting one today. She doesn't know yet how much she has to work with money wise, so even with the 20% it may be out of budget.

Justin37: thanks for the suggestion. I'll have her look into it.

bigdaddy: lol, honestly surprised it took 3 posts for that to come up :D don't ask don't tell, eh? ugh

bread's done
Back