Laptop to Laptop data transfer:What cable do I need & where do I get it ??

Thanks for your response.I emailed a few sellers on ebay who had that cable for sale just to make sure it'll work for laptop to laptop....Thanks again!

Hmmm... I'm not sure about a cable. You could burn a dvd with the data (4.7 gb), use a large flash drive (which are cheap), or if you have a wireless router, put them on the same network and transfer your files from pc to pc over the network.

I've never used a usb cable connection but it seems like it should be easy.

I'm thinking I'll just use my psp (4 gig mem. stick which is practically empty) to transfer the data....although I do have a wireless router and plan to put to the new laptop on the same network as my old one,it just sounds like that would probably be abit more complex than just going the psp route...

That's the correct USB cable. But if you ahve a wireless network I wouldn't even bother, just share the folder or folders that have the stuff you want to copy over, then you can access it from the new laptop. Alternatively, some laptops have an infrared port that you can use to link up both computers. Just set the PCs about an inch or two apart with both ports facing each other.

Crossover cable is best but I believe that even regular cat5/6 patch cables will work for what you are using on Vistas transfer wizard. It figures it out. 100 megabit sustained transfer speed versus a special USB cable that is difficult to find in retail stores without a bundle of software you don't want to buy. USB is 480 mb a second controlled by the host control chip
(not all chips are the same) some get up there some don't get squat. Vista has some problems with transfer rates as it is compared to XP.

I would go with patch or crossover.

I think just doing the PSP method would suffice, you dont have to spend money or wait a few days for cable to ship if you buy online.

Thanks for all the responses guys,I really appreciate them...I've decided if I figure out either the network or infrared way I'll do those if not I just do the psp method (might take a few times to get all the data and few extra minutes overall but no biggie).....My laptop will arrive via fedex on Tuesday so we'll see what happens....

bread's done
Back