Laptops under $400?

mrobvious

CAGiversary!
My dad needs a new one as his spare just got a virus. Does anyone know of a reliable one under $400? No specifications, it just has to run, doesn't need to have a top notch graphics card or 7 gigs of ram or anything crazy, just needs to run nice. Any recommendations or deals would be greatly appreciated.

Why not remove the virus? Even if the drive was fried, worst case get a new hard drive and use the restore discs.

[quote name='rmb']Why not remove the virus? Even if the drive was fried, worst case get a new hard drive and use the restore discs.[/QUOTE]

Yea I'm going to agree with this, but does he need to upgrade anyway?

What's the specs of the one that has a virus.

Office depot has this on sale now for $480 or $450 online after bing cashback:

http://slickdeals.net/?sdtid=175740...27357/MSI-A6000-029US-16-Widescreen-Notebook/

The msi has a 3 year limited warranty (1 year on lcd and battery). Specs:

MSI A6000 16" Notebook: Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2GHz, 320GB HDD, 4GB DDR2, DVDRW, HDMI, GeForce 8200M-G Webcam, Windows 7 Home Prem

A lot of sales for more well known brands have been $600 or more for the same specs. Has Win 7 32 installed, but you could install 64 if you really want. I bought it a few months ago when it was $400 after Bing and it's nice. Plasticy, but can't be beat for the price. It won't be availiable online for long!

A lot of the things you might buy under $400 are netbooks and not powerful at all. This is a real laptop! :)

His old one is a piece of garbage any way, probably about 6-8 years old. It has like 8 gigs of hdd space and like half a gig of ram, he's due for an upgrade anyway, which is why even the bare minimum of what is out today would work for him.

If you're looking for a netbook, go with something thats running an Intel CULV, that stuff kicks the crap out of the Intel Atom processors. Even the dual-core Intel Atom processors can't get the performance of an Intel CULV. The AMD Athlon Neo X2 are a great cheaper alternative, but those are harder to find in a 11.6" netbook. The Acer netbook I got in my signature came out to $349 on sale, regular price was $399. You could go for the higher end Intel CULV processor like the Pentium SU4100, or Core 2 Duo SU7300/9400, but those add a huge premium to the cost.

Sell me the old laptop for shipping and a couple dollars, i just want the screen..... :)

Reminds me of a guy at my work who came in and said his lappy stopped working because he got a virus. Geek Squad told him it was probably gonna be like $400 for diagnostics and if a new HD reinstall is needed to configure and reinstall everything and some bullshit other stuff they rattled off since he was clueless. The guy said no way and bought a new laptop for $1000.

I was like REALLY.......REALLY?? Sell me your dead laptop for parts i just need the screen i told him...... lol bastard already traded it off for a 360 Arcade. That guy said it was a pretty easy and straight forward virus cleanup but he reinstalled windows anyway. Got a 1.5 year old laptop for a used 360 system said it needed more ram but yea he was a lucky bastard I couldn't wait to get in and do it myself. :)

LOL

Some people and tech support. Just like my mom, her HD died, she freaked out about her work files. Geek Squad aka Shitheads charged her $350 for a new HD and data retrieval.

[quote name='kube00']LOL

Some people and tech support. Just like my mom, her HD died, she freaked out about her work files. Geek Squad aka Shitheads charged her $350 for a new HD and data retrieval.[/QUOTE]
Actually, if the drive really did die (and not just something like a software crash where Windows died), then she got a phenomenal deal on the data retrieval. Getting data off a dead hard drive usually costs $1000+. Now, I agree, Geek Squad is crap, but try and do some research next time before being a dick.

I've never priced it but yea does sound cheap for data retrieval from a dead HD. Wonder if they used a display model freezer to revive it... I'd be willing to bet the HD wasn't dead yet and they just sold her a new HD and copied her old stuff to it. Or just cleaned up her viruses and retrieved data from a earlier restore point. From the couple people i've know to have dealt with them and what I saw from a sales guy trying to push a geek plan onto my friend buying a laptop they just use lots of technical terms and fancy speak to confuse most people and think they are geek gods.

bread's done
Back