Larger Xbox 360 Controller battery case?

Crono51

CAGiversary!
I've about had it with the rechargeable Xbox 360 batteries, Play 'n Charge Kit, and Quick Charge kit.

I was going to use rechargeable AA batteries, and purchased some additional batteries to do so. However, the rechargeable batteries I have, apparently are slightly larger in size than alkaline AA's, and do not come out of the battery case easily. (My wife had to use tweezers to wiggle the batteries out, which tore up the label some).

Does anybody know of a 3rd party battery case that is slightly larger? I tried doing a few Google searches, but haven't had any luck in finding anything that matches what I'm looking for.

For reference, the batteries I've tried are the precharged (aka "hybrid") Rayovac and Kodak AA batteries.

I just smack em until they come out. Due to the nature of the dock in the XBox controller itself, I don't think there are any alternatives that are larger.

You could try filing or sanding the edge of the battery case interior down a little. I have this trouble too with my Eneloops, but just tapping the case against my hand the batteries will slide out enough for me to grab. However, IIRC the part that hangs up is mainly just the outer "lips" of the case, if you could just enlarge those a little it should give better clearance.

It's kind of hard to explain with just words but if you look at the battery case and see where the restriction/interference actually is, you can hopefully understand what I'm getting at.

Ruahrc

I use Enerloops in my 360 controllers and I have the same issues with the batteries being a little snug/tight in the battery pack. I don't have any issues with the batteries getting their labels ripped off in the insert/removal process.

The battery life with the Enerloops versus the 360 rechargeable packs is night and day difference. I've gone weeks to over a month with 4-6 hours use weekly before needing to swap out batteries, versus being lucky if I get through 8-12 hours of use before needing to charge the battery packs.

[quote name='shrike4242']I use Enerloops in my 360 controllers and I have the same issues with the batteries being a little snug/tight in the battery pack. I don't have any issues with the batteries getting their labels ripped off in the insert/removal process.

The battery life with the Enerloops versus the 360 rechargeable packs is night and day difference. I've gone weeks to over a month with 4-6 hours use weekly before needing to swap out batteries, versus being lucky if I get through 8-12 hours of use before needing to charge the battery packs.[/QUOTE]

I have three official rechargable battery packs and two no longer hold a charge. One of those two didnt even last a year. Imo they are total shit. Im gonna look into these Enerloops as Ive heard only good things.

Something you should note- the eneloops are only as good as your charger. They are still a NiMH battery and can be abused/destroyed by improper charging just like any other.

You would not be wasting your money by getting a good smart charger like the Maha or La Crosse. I hear the charger that comes with the Sanyo Eneloop pack is not bad either. Really you're looking for a "smart" charger.

Ruahrc

I have the same problem with my rechargeable batteries. The problem with mine is the batteries are wrapped in a label rather than have the info printed on them. That small difference makes them stick in the case. I just hit the case against the couch cushion to get them out.

I have Eneloops too. I had to use some sand paper inside the battery case to make it looser. The first time this happened I had to use pliers to get the batteries out.

i also use eneloops, i kind of "pack" the batteries out. smack it on my palm like its a pack off cigarettes, only with one of the batteries hanging slightly off of my palm (so it will come out a little) once you can get a grip on it, its easy to pull out (thats what she said) and then the other battery is easy to get out because you can get a finger on each side of the battery.

[quote name='shrike4242']I use Enerloops in my 360 controllers and I have the same issues with the batteries being a little snug/tight in the battery pack. I don't have any issues with the batteries getting their labels ripped off in the insert/removal process.

The battery life with the Enerloops versus the 360 rechargeable packs is night and day difference. I've gone weeks to over a month with 4-6 hours use weekly before needing to swap out batteries, versus being lucky if I get through 8-12 hours of use before needing to charge the battery packs.[/QUOTE]

Eneloops are the best rechargables I've ever used. But like most have said, they go in snug and require a "tap" to get them out. You get used to it and it really isn't an issue.

[quote name='Ruahrc']You could try filing or sanding the edge of the battery case interior down a little. I have this trouble too with my Eneloops, but just tapping the case against my hand the batteries will slide out enough for me to grab. However, IIRC the part that hangs up is mainly just the outer "lips" of the case, if you could just enlarge those a little it should give better clearance.[/QUOTE]

I experimented with the "smacking" method. I put two of my Rayovac hybrid batteries halfway into the battery case, and tried smacking them to see if they'd come out. After a few smacks, not only did they not fall out, they were about all the way in.

I'm thinking that sanding/filing method might be my best bet. Its great to hear about how everyone loves their eneloops, but I already have a decent supply of other branded hybrid batteries, and don't think it'd be very cost effective to buy even more rechargeable batteries.

[quote name='shrike4242']I don't have any issues with the batteries getting their labels ripped off in the insert/removal process.[/QUOTE]

I'm not that worried about the label getting torn, I'm concerned that with the amount of force I must apply with tweezers to grip the battery that I'm damaging the cell itself. I don't want the cell to get damaged/dented enough over time to where it affects the battery performance, or worse, causes it to leak.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Question/Suggestion.
Has anyone tryed using a dremel tool to make a hole/slit on the side of the battery pack near the top and just push them out (with a small screwdriver)?

I did that with an old TV remote that would suck up rechargable batteries and it worked.

bread's done
Back