Larry Flynt Calls For A National Strike Day To Take Back Our Government

fullmetalfan720

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
I saw this on the Huffington Post, and I got to say, I agree with Larry Flint on this.
The American government -- which we once called our government -- has been taken over by Wall Street, the mega-corporations and the super-rich. They are the ones who decide our fate. It is this group of powerful elites, the people President Franklin D. Roosevelt called "economic royalists," who choose our elected officials -- indeed, our very form of government. Both Democrats and Republicans dance to the tune of their corporate masters. In America, corporations do not control the government. In America, corporations are the government.
This was never more obvious than with the Wall Street bailout, whereby the very corporations that caused the collapse of our economy were rewarded with taxpayer dollars. So arrogant, so smug were they that, without a moment's hesitation, they took our money -- yours and mine -- to pay their executives multimillion-dollar bonuses, something they continue doing to this very day. They have no shame. They don't care what you and I think about them. Henry Kissinger refers to us as "useless eaters."
But, you say, we have elected a candidate of change. To which I respond: Do these words of President Obama sound like change?
"A culture of irresponsibility took root, from Wall Street to Washington to Main Street."
There it is. Right there. We are Main Street. We must, according to our president, share the blame. He went on to say: "And a regulatory regime basically crafted in the wake of a 20th-century economic crisis -- the Great Depression -- was overwhelmed by the speed, scope and sophistication of a 21st-century global economy."
This is nonsense.
The reason Wall Street was able to game the system the way it did -- knowing that they would become rich at the expense of the American people (oh, yes, they most certainly knew that) -- was because the financial elite had bribed our legislators to roll back the protections enacted after the Stock Market Crash of 1929.
Congress gutted the Glass-Steagall Act, which separated commercial lending banks from investment banks, and passed the Commodity Futures Modernization Act, which allowed for self-regulation with no oversight. The Securities and Exchange Commission subsequently revised its rules to allow for even less oversight -- and we've all seen how well that worked out. To date, no serious legislation has been offered by the Obama administration to correct these problems.
Instead, Obama wants to increase the oversight power of the Federal Reserve. Never mind that it already had significant oversight power before our most recent economic meltdown, yet failed to take action. Never mind that the Fed is not a government agency but a cartel of private bankers that cannot be held accountable by Washington. Whatever the Fed does with these supposed new oversight powers will be behind closed doors.
Obama's failure to act sends one message loud and clear: He cannot stand up to the powerful Wall Street interests that supplied the bulk of his campaign money for the 2008 election. Nor, for that matter, can Congress, for much the same reason.
Consider what multibillionaire banker David Rockefeller wrote in his 2002 memoirs:
"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure -- one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it."​
Read Rockefeller's words again. He actually admits to working against the "best interests of the United States."
Need more? Here's what Rockefeller said in 1994 at a U.N. dinner: "We are on the verge of a global transformation. All we need is the right major crisis, and the nations will accept the New World Order." They're gaming us. Our country has been stolen from us.
Journalist Matt Taibbi, writing in Rolling Stone, notes that esteemed economist John Kenneth Galbraith laid the 1929 crash at the feet of banking giant Goldman Sachs. Taibbi goes on to say that Goldman Sachs has been behind every other economic downturn as well, including the most recent one. As if that wasn't enough, Goldman Sachs even had a hand in pushing gas prices up to $4 a gallon.
The problem with bankers is longstanding. Here's what one of our Founding Fathers, Thomas Jefferson, had to say about them:
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, and then by deflation, the banks and the corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their father's conquered."​
We all know that the first American Revolution officially began in 1776, with the Declaration of Independence. Less well known is that the single strongest motivating factor for revolution was the colonists' attempt to free themselves from the Bank of England. But how many of you know about the second revolution, referred to by historians as Shays' Rebellion? It took place in 1786-87, and once again the banks were the cause. This time they were putting the screws to America's farmers. Daniel Shays was a farmer in western Massachusetts. Like many other farmers of the day, he was being driven into bankruptcy by the banks' predatory lending practices. (Sound familiar?) Rallying other farmers to his side, Shays led his rebels in an attack on the courts and the local armory. The rebellion itself failed, but a message had been sent: The bankers (and the politicians who supported them) ultimately backed off. As Thomas Jefferson famously quipped in regard to the insurrection: "A little rebellion now and then is a good thing. The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
Perhaps it's time to consider that option once again.
I'm calling for a national strike, one designed to close the country down for a day. The intent? Real campaign-finance reform and strong restrictions on lobbying. Because nothing will change until we take corporate money out of politics. Nothing will improve until our politicians are once again answerable to their constituents, not the rich and powerful.
Let's set a date. No one goes to work. No one buys anything. And if that isn't effective -- if the politicians ignore us -- we do it again. And again. And again.
The real war is not between the left and the right. It is between the average American and the ruling class. If we come together on this single issue, everything else will resolve itself. It's time we took back our government from those who would make us their slaves.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/larry-flynt/common-sense-2009_b_264706.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really like Larry as a person, but wow - he hit the nail 100%.

Always happy to see when others wake up and rise above the petty left-right squabbling we are programmed to obsess with.

I'm also impressed something like this showed up on Huffpo.

it's even better when you read it with his stroked out drawl in mind...

The thing with Flynt, and others like him to a certain extent, is that he's free to make these assertions and demands because they would have little effect on him. For those of us that depend on our 8-12 hours a day of work to live; this simply isn't an option. When anyone (or more accurately any group) bands together to say that something is wrong they get called kooky militia members or even worse terrorists.

"A culture of irresponsibility took root, from Wall Street to Washington to Main Street."
There it is. Right there. We are Main Street. We must, according to our president, share the blame.

Well, yeah. How many Main Streeter's took out loans on houses that they reasonably should have known they couldn't afford?

[quote name='nasum']it's even better when you read it with his stroked out drawl in mind...

The thing with Flynt, and others like him to a certain extent, is that he's free to make these assertions and demands because they would have little effect on him. For those of us that depend on our 8-12 hours a day of work to live; this simply isn't an option. When anyone (or more accurately any group) bands together to say that something is wrong they get called kooky militia members or even worse terrorists.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't agree with his plan of action, as it wouldn't really help matters any. It will take a lot more than strikes to fix things. A lot more. But you're right; start talking about solutions and you WILL be called a kooky militia/terrorist.

[quote name='nasum']it's even better when you read it with his stroked out drawl in mind...

The thing with Flynt, and others like him to a certain extent, is that he's free to make these assertions and demands because they would have little effect on him. For those of us that depend on our 8-12 hours a day of work to live; this simply isn't an option. When anyone (or more accurately any group) bands together to say that something is wrong they get called kooky militia members or even worse terrorists.[/QUOTE]

I don't know you can dismiss Larry that easily. Say what you will about his morality (or lack thereof), Larry Flynt has taken it to the mat time and time again for the first amendment. The guy parodied high-profile political targets and has been routinely harrassed by the feds. Not to mention the fact that he is in a wheelchair as a result of being shot by a white supremecist outside one of the free speech cases he was fighting.

I agree with him here, thing is I don't see that a nationwide strike would do a damn thing. A real start would be voting everyone out of office, but that's a pipe dream. It's all we can do to keep the Republicans out of power.

I love what he said and how he's thinking. My problem is that it's not realistic. What would the language of the reform law be? No taking money from anyone? Public financing? It seems like the logical result would be the rich financing their own campaigns. It already happens this way to a large extent, but what would a law look like that that resulted in something closer to what we all seem to want?

How about - candidates fill out a questionnaire on how they feel about particular positions. Then, to "vote", voters go online and fill out the same questionnaire. The voters are matched with the candidate that best represents them - which ever candidate gets the majority vote wins - and candidates are not revealed until after the "voting process" ends.

That'd be interesting. ;)

[quote name='UncleBob']How about - candidates fill out a questionnaire on how they feel about particular positions. Then, to "vote", voters go online and fill out the same questionnaire. The voters are matched with the candidate that best represents them - which ever candidate gets the majority vote wins - and candidates are not revealed until after the "voting process" ends.

That'd be interesting. ;)[/QUOTE]

Forget the questionare. Just have the voters answers match the candidates voting record.
Of course, people could just look up voting records of candidates on their own now. But then where would the fun of electing bodybuilders, professional wrestlers, and tv stars as governors go? ;)

[quote name='UncleBob']I like the voting records idea, except that it would restrict newcomers from entering the arena.[/QUOTE]

Nope. It would just skew their results. When stating a person wants to be a representative, they simply give up the private vote and are requested to vote on everything possible starting at the city level and working up to a national level.

So let's send a message about the poor state of the economy by....not working?

Hmmm.

Something tells me 'ole Larry has an e-mail on his computer with the title FW: FW: FW: FW: FW: FW: FW: FW: FW: FW: NATIONAL DON'T BUY OIL DAY!!111

And then one immediately after in his "Sent Items" box with another FW: appended to it.

Doesn't really seem like a difficult thing to do all they have to do is just say this is how it is PERIOD.
1. No Lobbyists (give the power back to the people - majority not the minority (wealthy)
go back to our representatives do their jobs, stay in touch with their people at home then go to washington and stand up for what is right
2. No Corporate Sponsorship - set maximum donations for individual shareholders, not Corporated Execs (or board members)
2. The hell with the electorate system.. He who has most votes wins!!
3. finally set limits on campaign funding.. make them get in touch with people, none of these $1000 / a plate dinners.. have $10/25 buffet's or brunches anyone who wants to go even some guy who lives in a trailer or on the street..
Corporations really smack the US in the face, if it weren't for all the rights and opportunites they had here and they would not have gotten to where they are, and they don't know what it means to be loyal to us citizens

The way things going every sci-fi/fiction movie where the weathy corporation is trying to take over the world may become a reality sooner than later..

[quote name='The Crotch']Can we have it on "Buy Nothing Day"?

And can it include "Earth Hour"?[/QUOTE]

If we do, we can be sure Al Gore will be buying a yacht and keeping his floodlights on. But what I really wanted to say by replying is I love your new avatar.

I had to sign into my rusty CAG account for this conversation. And if I do any info-dropping, I can provide fact-check links to mainstream media and government sources.

The United States is about to collapse and be consumed by a global form of ultra-fascism run by the banking elite and their mega-corporations. These people have been responsible for every war since at least WW1, and their goal since the League of Nations has been to create a form of world governance. The game plan for the last 150 years has been to implode economies, stage terror attacks and practice Eugenics on the population to name a mere few. They wish to rise like a Phoenix from the fallen ashes of the wars and implosions they've concocted and instill their totalitarian power structure. There will be no Free Speech. there will be no gun ownership. There will be no individual Human Rights.

Now if you want to live in that kind of world where you have no liberties and are most likely living in fear, then continue along your lives the way you live them now. Most of you feel like there's nothing that can be done, it's too far-gone - although you've chosen a defeatist view, at least you are aware of these criminals that run our lives. But for those of you who still say "there's no such thing", you guys need to wake up very soon. Because if these Globalists get what they want, half of the people on this board will be dead in 2 years or less.

You guys are gamers, so I'll speak your language. You don't want your games censored like practically EVERY OTHER country does, right? Well that will be gone. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal in the scheme of things, but it is. But forget all that. I'll speak more rudimentarily: The power will most likely be turned off at some point to disable the American populace and get them to submit. This is a very realistic scenario in the next year or so. So you may as well kiss your pastime goodbye. Unless you want to be a globalist slave, which again, continue to do what you are doing.

Just like Bush was, Obama is simply a New World Order puppet shill. He's not even a Democrat - he's a far-left ultra Lenin-esque fascist, and just because he's black, the liberals believe everything he says. And while they're sitting playing video games and sucking their thumbs and believing anything CNN (and Joystiq) spits out as unquestionable TRUTH, the banks who put Obama in power are continuing to commit high treason and the government officials they hand-pick for us to vote on are letting them do it.

Americans need to stop being complacent and living in a shrouded fear of their government. We all need to put on our William Wallace masks and simply put our foot down. Start learning your history. Rediscover the Constitution and find out how easy it is to bring the Federal government to it's knees. Break out of the LEFT/RIGHT paradigm and realize the Dems and Reps is merely a 1 Party War Machine with 2 bickering factions. Learn about the Liberty movement, and maybe even Ron Paul. But most of all, GROW SOME BALLS, people. If you want there to be any future for yourselves and your children, it's time to be big boys and girls and GET INVOLVED. Otherwise the Globalists are going to get what they want and the game is over. America is their final thorn in their side. Because of our liberties and freedoms which our Constitution says are INALIENABLE, they are having a hard time bringing us to our knees. But this new generation has NO clue about any of these issues, has NO knowledge of their country's history, and frankly doesn't care to know. We've become lazy, lethargic, complacent and careless. It's frankly pathetic. I trust none of you are like that?

Again, I can give you mainstream and government links for days to back up what I'm saying. It's almost like taking the red pill, huh?

No, that's cool. As social chairman of the Atheist Conspiracy and head liaison to the Gay Agenda, I can confirm that that is indeed our final goal.

And you can't do shit against us. I'm going to go spread lies about global warming as a trojan horse for my eugenics program. What the hell you gonna do about it?

[quote name='The Crotch']No, that's cool. As social chairman of the Atheist Conspiracy and head liaison to the Gay Agenda, I can confirm that that is indeed our final goal.

And you can't do shit against us. I'm going to go spread lies about global warming as a trojan horse for my eugenics program. What the hell you gonna do about it?[/QUOTE]

Unless you're a part of the Good-ole boy network - my assumption would be no, considering we're here @ CheapassGamer - you're just as segregated between Them and Us just as we are. Wanna buy in? Get a few shares of Goldman Sachs.

If you've been consuming fluoride, high fructose corn syrup, heavy metals...if your family has a mental history, if you're gay, if you're from the 'wrong' heritige or bloodline, you cannot pass Go. Sorry 'scrot.

I love the global conspiracy theories.

You don't need a conspiracy. There are, or very shortly will be, too many mouths and not enough plates of food.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']I love the global conspiracy theories.

You don't need a conspiracy. There are, or very shortly will be, too many mouths and not enough plates of food.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but you see the attraction of it. It would be nice to think that it would take a terribly elaborate plot hatched by a dedicated group of maniacal workaholic geniuses to fool the general public.

[quote name='camoor']Yes, but you see the attraction of it. It would be nice to think that it would take a terribly elaborate plot hatched by a dedicated group of maniacal workaholic geniuses to fool the general public.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Pursuing invisible boogeymen is preferable to making difficult choices.

There are at most 50 years of oil and 200 years of coal left. Nu uh. We can drill our way to infinite oil and coal.

Healthcare costs are out of control. Nu uh. Emmagants are abusing the system right after they steal all our jobs.

[quote name='Shredmeister']Unless you're a part of the Good-ole boy network - my assumption would be no, considering we're here @ CheapassGamer - you're just as segregated between Them and Us just as we are. Wanna buy in? Get a few shares of Goldman Sachs.[/quote]You assume a lot. You think there's this big ol' conspiracy floating around, and no-one keeping tabs on the few Little People who are in the know? Think there are no virtual Men in Black on Infowars? Above Top Secret? Hell, why not CAG? Not like this place don't have a history of conspiracy theorists.

[quote name='Shredmeister'] If you've been consuming fluoride, high fructose corn syrup, heavy metals...if your family has a mental history, if you're gay, if you're from the 'wrong' heritige or bloodline, you cannot pass Go. Sorry 'scrot.[/QUOTE]
My family has its own source of water, I generally avoid sweets and carbonated soda (and high fructose corn syrup is a bit less common here in Canada than in the United States, anyway - here we just have a ludicrous excess of salt in most things), and I think I've done a pretty good job of avoiding heavy metals. I know of no histoy of mental illness (though it's a big family), I am not gay, and my ancestry is about as European as it gets.

So, y'know, it's feasible. I could be part of the conspiracy. Just an unusually candid member. Maybe I just like to go around and fuck with people too close to the truth? Go around mixing my lies with truth 'til the difference 'tween the two just ain't visible anymore. Nobody said Majestic 12 can't have a bit of a sense of humour, yeah?

Want to know something funny?

The Crotch is part of the global conspiracy. His avatar change to Mr. Freeze/Mercantalism! is a subtle warning that banks are going to take a holiday. Effectively, everybody's accounts will be frozen.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Absolutely. Pursuing invisible boogeymen is preferable to making difficult choices.

There are at most 50 years of oil and 200 years of coal left. Nu uh. We can drill our way to infinite oil and coal.[/quote]
What about nuclear power plants with breeder reactors?

[quote name='fullmetalfan720']What about nuclear power plants with breeder reactors?[/QUOTE]

I said, "Nu uh. We can drill our way to infinite oil and coal."

Regarding nuclear power, I'm leaning away from it.

There was some left wing scareumentary about the dangers of nuclear power on the Sundance Channel. I forget its name.

The main problems with nuclear power are:

1. The vast majority of nuclear power produced doesn't utilize breeder reactors.

2. Nobody wants to store the waste.

3. The costs of storing the waste usually exceeds the savings during the production of electricity.

4. There are no mulligans in nuclear power.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']I said, "Nu uh. We can drill our way to infinite oil and coal."[/QUOTE]
I know.
Regarding nuclear power, I'm leaning away from it.

There was some left wing scareumentary about the dangers of nuclear power on the Sundance Channel. I forget its name.

The main problems with nuclear power are:

1. The vast majority of nuclear power produced doesn't utilize breeder reactors.
Yes, in the US, unfortunately we don't use breeder reactors because, some people seem to believe "those darn der terrists," would steal the plutonium and make a bomb out of it, although because you would have to separate the various isotopes of plutonium to make a bomb, and that is pretty much impossible. (Many countries have tried, but they have all failed.)
2. Nobody wants to store the waste.
There is little to no waste from breeder reactors. Any waste which would pop up would only have a half-life of 40-50 years, instead of the tens of thousands of regular nuclear waste.
3. The costs of storing the waste usually exceeds the savings during the production of electricity.
The waste wouldn't need to be stored.
4. There are no mulligans in nuclear power.
I don't think a Chernobyl would ever happen in the US, mainly because the reason Chernobyl happened was because all the safety systems were off, the reactor design was flawed, and there was terrible management by the collapsing USSR. Plus now there are enough safety measures that an accidental release of radioactivity is near impossible.
Plus, France, India and Japan all use breeder reactors with no problems, why can't we? If we were to get all of our electricity from breeder reactors, we would have enough supply for billions of years. I'm sure that we could come up with a a huge new innovation in renewable energy by then.

Chernobyl won't happen in the US because there is no Chernobyl.

Likewise, I would argue that a "Three Mile Island" and "Love Canal" could never happen in any of the former Soviet territories.

[quote name='mykevermin']Chernobyl won't happen in the US because there is no Chernobyl.

Likewise, I would argue that a "Three Mile Island" and "Love Canal" could never happen in any of the former Soviet territories.[/QUOTE]

I don't think a Chernobyl would ever happen in the US
:roll:You don't pay attention do you? Is that the only part of my post you read?

FoC's post was "there are no mulligans." This is not an argument that is exclusive to nuclear plants of one particular region or country. Nuclear plant accidents and improper waste have happened in the United States. Sorry that your argument holds no water as a result.

Maybe next time I could also go after well thought out sentences like "The [nuclear] waste wouldn't need to be stored." Which was even more ridiculous than what I went after.

[quote name='mykevermin']FoC's post was "there are no mulligans." This is not an argument that is exclusive to nuclear plants of one particular region or country. Nuclear plant accidents and improper waste have happened in the United States. Sorry that your argument holds no water as a result.[/QUOTE]
There's no mulligans with nuclear weapons, but we still have those. Modern nuclear power plants have so many safeguards that a release of nuclear material is pretty much impossible.
Maybe next time I could also go after well thought out sentences like "The [nuclear] waste wouldn't need to be stored." Which was even more ridiculous than what I went after.
You don't need to store something that doesn't exist. Breeder reactors literally use up all of the nuclear material.

[quote name='fullmetalfan720']There's no mulligans with nuclear weapons, but we still have those.[/quote]

And we're concerned that we aren't the only ones who possess them, no?

You don't need to store something that doesn't exist. Breeder reactors literally use up all of the nuclear material.

Is there no waste? I read somebody say that it was "little to no waste." And that simply doesn't sound like "no waste" to me.

[quote name='mykevermin']And we're concerned that we aren't the only ones who possess them, no?[/QUOTE]
Great. A distraction.

Is there no waste? I read somebody say that it was "little to no waste." And that simply doesn't sound like "no waste" to me.
I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. Breeder reactors use up the nuclear waste that everyone seems to be bitching about. Breeder reactors are fueled by either nuclear waste, (they basically reuse it), U-238, or thorium. The use of thorium and U-238 does produce nuclear waste, but in smaller quantities and it has a much shorter half-life than the nuclear waste produced today. Instead of storing nuclear waste from the non-breeder plants, we could use it in the breeder plants. Both U-238 and thorium are very abundant on Earth, and there is enough of them for billions of years. U-235, which we use in regular reactors is less common, at about .7% of all Uranium.

Reynolds is secretly behind most conspiracy theories, every time they need to boost the sale of aluminum foil they just release a new theory.

[quote name='JolietJake']Reynolds is secretly behind most conspiracy theories, every time they need to boost the sale of aluminum foil they just release a new theory.[/QUOTE]

tinfoil.jpg

[quote name='Shredmeister']Wait a minute. Of the people participating here, how do you feel about the Magna Carta, U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights? Do you believe it is something worth defending? Or is it some passe concept that will just disappear into the tyranny of Human history?[/QUOTE]
Well, I don't know about these sheeple, but as far as I'm concerned, those things are like the "heat" meter in the NES game "Excite Bike". It's only a temporary matter, of course.

And you can't do shit to stop us!

[quote name='Shredmeister']Wait a minute. Of the people participating here, how do you feel about the Magna Carta, U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights? Do you believe it is something worth defending? Or is it some passe concept that will just disappear into the tyranny of Human history?

And how much of this can be considered tin foil?[/QUOTE]

Level1, is that you? Regardless, you do know that a good deal of the quotes in that trailer are taken out of context, right? Let me guess, 9/11 was an inside job, Obama isn't American and the Council on Foreign Relations is evil incarnate?

This is not Level1. Level1 just posted videos or articles from Infowars without comment (or, if there was a comment, it always had these weird religious overtones to it). This guy is different.

Besides, I had Level1 dealt with some time ago.

[quote name='fullmetalfan720']I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. Breeder reactors use up the nuclear waste that everyone seems to be bitching about. Breeder reactors are fueled by either nuclear waste, (they basically reuse it), U-238, or thorium. The use of thorium and U-238 does produce nuclear waste, but in smaller quantities and it has a much shorter half-life than the nuclear waste produced today. Instead of storing nuclear waste from the non-breeder plants, we could use it in the breeder plants. Both U-238 and thorium are very abundant on Earth, and there is enough of them for billions of years. U-235, which we use in regular reactors is less common, at about .7% of all Uranium.[/QUOTE]

That is the merit behind nuclear power.

I just saw this while looking for that picture of a wind turbine on fire. DAMN!

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/07/colossal_magnet.php

maglev_wind_turbine.jpg

There goes the rest of my post about how decentralized power is the way for society to survive and wind turbines and solar panels' inability to provide concentrated power fits in nicely with that idea.

bread's done
Back