Larry The Git-R-Done Guy is a Fraud!

[quote name='Graystone']QFT

Am I the only one that feels when someone says Git-r-done, 5'o clock somewhere, and wasting away margetville. Its just another way of saying white power. Cause thats what I get from it. I've heard the blue collar stuff and I don't care for it.

The only thing that was funny to me from Blue collar, was Ron White's "Can't Fix Stupid" that came on Comedy Central. it had little-no redneck jokes in it. From what I understand also it had nothing to do with Blue collar. IMO Ron White is the smartest, he stayed with it until he got millions of dollars and then dipped. He didn't get greedy he's back to doing his old stand-up.[/QUOTE]

I fail to see how any of those things stand for "white power". I'm a parrot-head myself and won't take kindly to Jimmy Buffett bashing :)

[quote name='gofishn']I fail to see how any of those things stand for "white power". I'm a parrot-head myself and won't take kindly to Jimmy Buffett bashing :)[/QUOTE]

Because only rednecks repeat them, and it always comes off racist to me. Like I said thats how I interpret it. You never see a white person say to another ethnicity get-r-done. But when a white person says it they look at the other white people around waiting for them to ackowledge the white power salute they just made. Again IMO

[quote name='Graystone']QFT

Am I the only one that feels when someone says Git-r-done, 5'o clock somewhere, and wasting away margetville. Its just another way of saying white power. Cause thats what I get from it. I've heard the blue collar stuff and I don't care for it.

The only thing that was funny to me from Blue collar, was Ron White's "Can't Fix Stupid" that came on Comedy Central. it had little-no redneck jokes in it. From what I understand also it had nothing to do with Blue collar. IMO Ron White is the smartest, he stayed with it until he got millions of dollars and then dipped. He didn't get greedy he's back to doing his old stand-up.[/quote]

Shut the fuck up bitch. Damn, how the fuck can you correlate "Wasting away in Margaritaville" and "5-O'Clock somewhere" with a racist slur? Those phrases are obviously about getting fucking drunk. "Git-r-done" is not about getting wasted, but it certainly isn't about white power. Go somewhere else if you are gonna fucking write these incoherent, apocryphal posts.

I don't get it. Was that him? I don't get any of that "Blue Collar Comedy". That shit is not funny. Only people who find it funny are Trailer Trash and Redneck's.

You could always apply yelling "git-r-done" to a stand up comic that blows as heckling them when they suck, just as you can yell "freebird" to a band on stage that royaly suck

I'm not a fan of his comedy, and I find it annoying.. but being someone living in Alabama, I have to say his act (c'mon.. you can't be surprised when a comedian has an act.. if the great Lewis Black yelled as much in real life as he does in his act, he'd have a stroke) is extremely effective marketing. If you think hearing "get-r-done" is annoying on TV, imagine having to hear it everywhere you go or seeing it on every cheapass truck on the road

[quote name='pimpinc333']I don't get it. Was that him? I don't get any of that "Blue Collar Comedy". That shit is not funny. Only people who find it funny are Trailer Trash and Redneck's.[/quote]

The only part I like is Jeff Foxworthy's "Redneck Spelling Bee". That's pretty damn funny.

[quote name='SMMM']ah, my bad. But yeah, that explains his real accent.[/quote]

I grew up in Florida my whole life... they dont talk like that in West Palm Beach.

retarded, retarded retarded... even a retard would say thats this thread is retarded...

there you go mykevermin, come and arrest me.

[quote name='battleroyal33']retarded, retarded retarded... even a retard would say thats this thread is retarded...

there you go mykevermin, come and arrest me.[/QUOTE]

Well, you're a little bitch now aren't ya?

[quote name='gofishn']This isn't really news. Larry the Cable Guy isn't a real guy, just a character. If I remember correctly the character was created for a local radio station in Orlando and it took off from there. How can you blame him? It has obviously paid off for the guy. The first time I saw him I thought he was pretty funny, but every time I've seen him since them his jokes have essentially been rehashes of what he's already done. I do agree that people have taken this too far though. Git-r-done? What the hell does that even mean?[/QUOTE]

Larry said Git-R-Done at the end of his radio show and it just stuck.

[quote name='Graystone']Because only rednecks repeat them, and it always comes off racist to me. Like I said thats how I interpret it. You never see a white person say to another ethnicity get-r-done. But when a white person says it they look at the other white people around waiting for them to ackowledge the white power salute they just made. Again IMO[/QUOTE]

If a black person uses quotes from black comedians is it a black power salute? They are the target audience for that comedian. What about hispanic people quoting hispanic comedians? Asian comedians? The problem with attitudes involving racism in people like yourself is you are always looking for an excuse to call something racist when it really has nothing to do with racism, that or you're a hypocrite with double standards. People quote comedians in what's usually a lame attempt to get people to laugh at them and think they're funny, not because they are racists.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']If a black person uses quotes from black comedians is it a black power salute? They are the target audience for that comedian. What about hispanic people quoting hispanic comedians? Asian comedians? The problem with attitudes involving racism in people like yourself is you are always looking for an excuse to call something racist when it really has nothing to do with racism, that or you're a hypocrite with double standards. People quote comedians in what's usually a lame attempt to get people to laugh at them and think they're funny, not because they are racists.[/quote]

QFT.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']fuck?[/quote]

You act like you are new to CAG. fuck is the censored symbol for the word f u c k. Does that answer your question?

[quote name='evilmregg']This just in: He also will not install your cable for you.[/QUOTE]

At least not until his 15 minutes are up.

Andrew Dice Clay delivered my new TV last week.

Shock. Surprise.

A comic has an onstage persona that is entirely invented from his imagination and obbservations of people from entirely different backgrounds than his own.

Did you also believe the 34 year old Jerry Lewis was the same geek as he played in two movies that year?

Did you think Jim Varney went through life with his name being the only thing distinguishing him from the behavior of Ernest P. Worrell?

Did you think Andrew Silverstein is the same asshole as his Andrew Dice Clay character?

The list goes on and on. Whether you like the schtick or not is beside the point. The guy cooked up a character and it turned into a franchise to make him rich. Some characters are broader than others. Foxworthy and Engvall have onstage personas but they're more natural, thus it works to have Larry as the butt of many gags when they're all together for the finale. (I'm referring to the first tour movie. I don't know if they've kept that format for the sketch comedy series.)

Some acts can be funny once but just once. But those acts will have a certain audience that keeps coming back. Gallagher would have faded away by the mid-80s if it weren't for those who just keep coming back. (He's a big video game player. I used to run into him at the Woodland Hills Toys R Us occasionally. I was shocked the first time because he remebered when we'd met previously almost a decade earlier when I spent most of a year on the carny circuit and he was still doing street performances.) But he kept at it in a way that cause many who once enjoyed his act to cringe at mention of his name.

Of the 'Blue Collar' group I know Bill Engvall the best. I've seen him perform a few times. I don't care for the 'redneck mystique' schtick but you don't get much of that from him. He's from Texas but doesn't pretend he grew up in some weirdly rural setting. He's just a general purpose comic who reflects his history. When he moved to Southern California he didn't have trouble fitting in and the ample supply of pretentiousness made for good material.

The funny thing is that I came across his first CD almost by accident. One of the clubs, Columbia or BMG, I forget which, was having a massive blowout of excess inventory with a lot of stuff down to around a dollar. 'Here's Your Sign' was one of them. I got close to a hundred items from that sale, so it was months before I got around to listening to that disc. It wasn't edgy but I liked it. The same as I can still enjoy old Bill Cosby routines from the 60s.

[quote name='epobirs']Shock. Surprise.

A comic has an onstage persona that is entirely invented from his imagination and obbservations of people from entirely different backgrounds than his own.

Did you also believe the 34 year old Jerry Lewis was the same geek as he played in two movies that year?

Did you think Jim Varney went through life with his name being the only thing distinguishing him from the behavior of Ernest P. Worrell?

Did you think Andrew Silverstein is the same asshole as his Andrew Dice Clay character?
[/QUOTE]

Dice notwithstanding, those are all poor examples simply because the remainder all had public moments in and out of character. You could interview Jim Varney, or Paul Reubens, but Larry the Cable Guy hasn't, since his popularity occurred, even so much as acknowledged that he has heard of a person named Dan Whitney.

Am I surprised that he's a phony? I suppose I am somewhat surprised, at least in the sense that, ironically enough, the very people who come to see him and worship at his altar are the very people who he mocks in his persona. He is a stereotype of American simpletons, and those very people are his fanbase. I s'pose the same can be said of many Black comedians as well (Rudy Ray Moore comes to mind, even though I doubt he's a character any longer), but I digress.

I am surprised that he's so good at playing the character that evidence showing him out of character is so hard to come by. And, at that point, when someone is that far into "deep" roleplaying, are they truly phony? Again, I digress.

I'd say that Dice is *possibly* the only example that comes close to the roleplaying that Larry does, but even then I'm hesitant to accept that argument.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']If a black person uses quotes from black comedians is it a black power salute? They are the target audience for that comedian. What about hispanic people quoting hispanic comedians? Asian comedians? The problem with attitudes involving racism in people like yourself is you are always looking for an excuse to call something racist when it really has nothing to do with racism, that or you're a hypocrite with double standards. People quote comedians in what's usually a lame attempt to get people to laugh at them and think they're funny, not because they are racists.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SIUfan86']Shut the fuck up bitch. Damn, "Git-r-done" is not about getting wasted, but it certainly isn't about white power. .[/QUOTE]

I think we've found the white supremacist here on cag's.
See whats funny to me is that you both answered that my post thinking that I wasn't white.
I'm going to quit aruging with the rednecks before someone throws a natural light beer can.
color. Oh the bitch comment is nothing more then the trademark of a stupid person not being able to facilitate the proper words for a senentce.

[quote name='mykevermin']Dice notwithstanding, those are all poor examples simply because the remainder all had public moments in and out of character. You could interview Jim Varney, or Paul Reubens, but Larry the Cable Guy hasn't, since his popularity occurred, even so much as acknowledged that he has heard of a person named Dan Whitney.

Am I surprised that he's a phony? I suppose I am somewhat surprised, at least in the sense that, ironically enough, the very people who come to see him and worship at his altar are the very people who he mocks in his persona. He is a stereotype of American simpletons, and those very people are his fanbase. I s'pose the same can be said of many Black comedians as well (Rudy Ray Moore comes to mind, even though I doubt he's a character any longer), but I digress.

I am surprised that he's so good at playing the character that evidence showing him out of character is so hard to come by. And, at that point, when someone is that far into "deep" roleplaying, are they truly phony? Again, I digress.

I'd say that Dice is *possibly* the only example that comes close to the roleplaying that Larry does, but even then I'm hesitant to accept that argument.[/QUOTE]

To this day there are a LOT of people who recognize PeeWee Herman but the name Paul Reubens means nothing to them. He largely avoided breaking cover until after his scandal. (Although contrary to the retroactive belief, PeeWee's Playhouse was laready canceled before the incident.) Reubens was a Groundling and the character evolved over time but most of the people right here in LA don't know who the Groundlings are or how many talents honed their skills there.

Likewise, a lot of people would never recognize Jim Varney in a lot of his roles as also being the man behind Ernest P. Worrel. He could easily evade recognition in public just by acting and dressing normally

And actually, I've seen plenty of prior references to Dan Whitney. He's been interviewed out of character. ( http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/7277749/larry_the_cable_guy_bared/ ) The Larry Wiki entry has plenty of data. He doesn't make a huge effort to hide from scrutiny but nor does he try to have Dan Whitney be famous rather than Larry.

I'm the kind of person who likes to use IMDB to find weird coincidences and such. I have a real fascination for animation and video game voice over performers and the odd places they turn up. Sometime it leaves me with questions I'd ask if I ever met the person. For instance, one of Christopher Judge's first credited roles was for an episode of MacGyver but under the name of Doug Judge. (Apparently his real first name since he's also used D. Christopher Judge.) Then seven years later he gets the role on Stargate SG-1 that has comsumed a major portion of his life since.

I imagine it's in some interview or article somewhere but I've never seen mentioned whether that one MacGyver episode had any bearing on getting called to audition for Stargate. Did Richard Dean Anderson, who was involved in getting the series launched, have anything to do with it or did he not even recognize him at first? It's makes for an interesting bit of trivia no matter how it works out.

But most people aren't that big on the trivia. Or in the case of Larry fans, are illiterate and cannot use IMDB.

[quote name='Graystone']I think we've found the white supremacist here on cag's.
See whats funny to me is that you both answered that my post thinking that I wasn't white.
I'm going to quit aruging with the rednecks before someone throws a natural light beer can.
color. Oh the bitch comment is nothing more then the trademark of a stupid person not being able to facilitate the proper words for a senentce.[/QUOTE]

Listen carefully, because it's not very much like me to get throw out a direct presonal attack or even use terribly offense language, but let me break from that to tell you to go fuck yourself.

You just called me a white supremacist, a racist. Besides being a poor ad hominem comment and you're lack of an ability to keep a somewhat civil dialogue, you made a totally flatout untruthful and defaming accusation to my character. Maybe you took offense to the hypocrite thing, but to be honest it's not nearly as bad. You may as well call me , liar a thief, and a murderer too. You've never even met me, you have no idea what I do in life, how I live, who I know, etc. You chose to judge my entire life by one comment, not even a logical judgment either. Meet me in person, read my other posts, hell get comments from other users on CAG and maybe then you'd be making an informed statement, but I guess the general character attack was easier huh? I could go on telling you how much of asshole you had to be to call me that and ask for an apology, but that seems like it'd be pretty useless cause then you may call me a rapist, so unlike yourself I'll try to have a civil and logical discussion and not try to defame your character be calling you something considered to be evil and hate-filled.

At no point in my post did even try to attempt to determine your race. Did I call you black? White? Asian? Hispanic? Native American? Anything? No, I didn't. Why? Becuase, I would've had the same response regardless of your race. All I did was ask you a couple questions (which you didn't answer, choosing instead to call me names), about whether you held other comedian catch phrases of other races to the same standard. You've classified racism as this simple thing, that the simple usage of an idiotic catch phrase can suddenly make you a racist, I simply wanted to know if you think that applies to everyone? Or is it simply the "rednecks" as you call them (btw ever hear of a concept called elitism/classism, cuz while I won't defame your character like you did me, it does seem like familar ground). Also I don't wanna break away from the trademark stupid, brain-dead, hick persona you obviously have me pegged for, but you used facilitate incorrectly.

Edit: Also for the record as well, Natty light taste like bitter cow piss, wouldn't be caught dead with the stuff.

I gotta point out that alot of u guys are comparing actors in acting roles to larry the cable guy and its not realy the same.
When I see him in interviews for the cars movie when hes suposed to be talking casual doing any interviews hes got the fake country thing going on hes never seen in normal atire from what I understand.

A movie requires acting where as your life doesnt arnold doesnt walk around in leather and sunglasses all the time acting like a robot christian bale doesnt walk around dressed as batman.

Honestly how many of us WOULDN'T sell themselves out for the money he has amassed in GIT-R-DONE hats, shirts, keychains, lighters, mud flaps, auto-stickers. Me, in a heartbeat, not think twice, done deal. Anyone who wants to bitch about me selling out could try to get a letter to me on my private island while I am swinging in my hammock on the beach and sippin' my cognac bitch!

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Listen carefully, because it's not very much like me to get throw out a direct presonal attack or even use terribly offense language, but let me break from that to tell you to go fuck yourself.

You just called me a white supremacist, a racist. Besides being a poor ad hominem comment and you're lack of an ability to keep a somewhat civil dialogue, you made a totally flatout untruthful and defaming accusation to my character. Maybe you took offense to the hypocrite thing, but to be honest it's not nearly as bad. You may as well call me , liar a thief, and a murderer too. You've never even met me, you have no idea what I do in life, how I live, who I know, etc. You chose to judge my entire life by one comment, not even a logical judgment either. Meet me in person, read my other posts, hell get comments from other users on CAG and maybe then you'd be making an informed statement, but I guess the general character attack was easier huh? I could go on telling you how much of asshole you had to be to call me that and ask for an apology, but that seems like it'd be pretty useless cause then you may call me a rapist, so unlike yourself I'll try to have a civil and logical discussion and not try to defame your character be calling you something considered to be evil and hate-filled.

At no point in my post did even try to attempt to determine your race. Did I call you black? White? Asian? Hispanic? Native American? Anything? No, I didn't. Why? Becuase, I would've had the same response regardless of your race. All I did was ask you a couple questions (which you didn't answer, choosing instead to call me names), about whether you held other comedian catch phrases of other races to the same standard. You've classified racism as this simple thing, that the simple usage of an idiotic catch phrase can suddenly make you a racist, I simply wanted to know if you think that applies to everyone? Or is it simply the "rednecks" as you call them (btw ever hear of a concept called elitism/classism, cuz while I won't defame your character like you did me, it does seem like familar ground). Also I don't wanna break away from the trademark stupid, brain-dead, hick persona you obviously have me pegged for, but you used facilitate incorrectly.

Edit: Also for the record as well, Natty light taste like bitter cow piss, wouldn't be caught dead with the stuff.[/quote]

Thank you Duo, you said everything I wanted to say and more.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell'] I could go on telling you how much of asshole you had to be to call me that and ask for an apology,.
[/QUOTE]

No I will apologize if you took it that personally I really do apologize. I was just busting balls. I should have added emoticons to my posts.

And if SIU took that much offense I'm sorry but it doesn't have much emotion behind it. Because unlike DUO who stayed civilzed and made great points. Siu just resorted to cussing at someone.

I think the Blue Collar stuff is the funniest comedy show out there, but, then again, I'm from Nashville so it all makes sense to me. And contradictory to popular belief, you don't have to be a gun totin' trailer trash redneck to get/enjoy the stuff, it's all just about Southern lifestyle..and it's definitely the furthest thing from any fucking white supremecist ideas. And Git-R-Done just means "Do what you gotta do" (roughly translated from my supposed "light beer drinkin" accent) and it has nothing to do with happy hour or margaritaville. I don't see how a Southern joke amongst a group of guys is racist, ESPECIALLY when it does not refer to any race or culture..there is some pretty dumb logic going on from certain people in this thread.

I'm not a fan of Larry the Cable Guy's routine, but I am a fan of what he does to people like mykevermin, becoming the bane of their existence.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I think the Blue Collar stuff is the funniest comedy show out there, but, then again, I'm from Nashville so it all makes sense to me. And contradictory to popular belief, you don't have to be a gun totin' trailer trash redneck to get/enjoy the stuff, it's all just about Southern lifestyle..and it's definitely the furthest thing from any fucking white supremecist ideas. And Git-R-Done just means "Do what you gotta do" (roughly translated from my supposed "light beer drinkin" accent) and it has nothing to do with happy hour or margaritaville. I don't see how a Southern joke amongst a group of guys is racist, ESPECIALLY when it does not refer to any race or culture..there is some pretty dumb logic going on from certain people in this thread.[/QUOTE]

"Re: Abu Ghraib Torture -

"Let me ask some of these commie rag head carpet flying wicker basket on the head balancing scumbags something!"

Re: Having a Muslim cleric give the opening prayer at the Republican Convention -

"What the hell is this the cartoon network? The Republicans had a muslim give the opening prayer at there (sic) convention! What the hell's going on around here! Is Muslim now the official religion of the United States!... First these peckerheads ( Ironically, "peckerhead" was a derogatory word slaves and their offspring used to describe white people) fly planes into towers and now theys (sic) prayin' before conventions! People say not all of em did that and I say who gives a rats fat ass! That's a fricken slap in the face to New York city by having some muslim sum-bitch give the invocation at the republican convention! This country pretty much bans the Christian religion (the religion of George Washington and John Wayne) virtually from anything public and then they got us watchin' this muslim BS!! Ya wanna pray to allah then drag yer flea infested ass over to where they pray to allah at!" End Quote. So... yeah. There you go. This quote goes on and on but my favorite part is when you say towards the end, "...now look, I love all people (except terrorist countries that want to kill us)..." "

It may not be "white surpremacy" but it is definitely racist. And him using the words "queer" or "fag***" in a negative way is homaphobic.

*edit*
Forgot a part:
There are numerous examples and I don't think I need to reprint any more. You get the idea. Oh, what the hell, here's one more - "They're dead, get over it! Poor little sandy asses! I'm sure all them dead folks'd they'd killed give 40 shekels or whatever kinda money these inbred sumbitches use, but I'd give 40 of 'em whatever it is to be humiliated instead of dead!"

[quote name='valleyvampiress']It may not be "white surpremacy" but it is definitely racist. And him using the words "queer" or "fag***" in a negative way is homaphobic.[/QUOTE]
If he's playing a character, and he is... wouldn't he be the one making fun of ones whom actually speak like that?

[quote name='Brak']If he's playing a character, and he is... wouldn't he be the one making fun of ones whom actually speak like that?[/QUOTE]

He hasn't proven views otherwise, so what stance of his am I to assume?

At any rate, whether he himself is racist or not, the people that laugh at that certainly are.

[quote name='valleyvampiress']He hasn't proven views otherwise, so what stance of his am I to assume?[/QUOTE]
Then why assume?

If he's doing what I think he's doing, in pulling a Tony Clifton, he's telling a joke in which he's yet to say "Just kidding."

[quote name='Brak']Then why assume?

If he's doing what I think he's doing, in pulling a Tony Clifton, he's telling a joke in which he's yet to say "Just kidding."[/QUOTE]

You are right. It really is possible it is all part of his character. That seems more than plausable. So is the latter however, but without any evidence for either side, it is pointless to assume either.

My last part which I added later still stands though.

[quote name='valleyvampiress']
At any rate, whether he himself is racist or not, the people that laugh at that certainly are.[/quote]
So, by this logic, I, along with many others who have heard jokes like this in the South and the US abroad and have laughed at it, are racists? Is that not stereotyping?

I've liked Bill Engvall since before the Blue Collar Comedy Tour stuff came around. I don't find the TV show to be funny very often. I hope he goes on a solo tour sometime soon.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']So, by this logic, I, along with many others who have heard jokes like this in the South and the US abroad and have laughed at it, are racists? Is that not stereotyping?[/QUOTE]

Do you think what he said isn't racist? I personally do not see how someone could laugh at something they knew was wrong.

You guys are missing the fucking point here... *grandma* has *worms* and she's scooting her *ass* across the *carpet*. Get with the program, gang.

[quote name='Brak']I'm not a fan of Larry the Cable Guy's routine, but I am a fan of what he does to people like mykevermin, becoming the bane of their existence.[/QUOTE]

Yea...huh? I started the OP, sure. And I don't like lowest-common-denominator comedy, that's true. Bane of my existence? Either you're overestimating the amount of hatred I have to go 'round, or you're underestimating the number of far more important people who are worth hating.

This thread surpisingly took a turn for the civil. I can honestly say I didn't see that coming. Bravo for intelligent debate (ironically about Larry the Cable Guy).

I'm actually reminded of Jamie Kennedy's Unwashed, where he does a bit where hes talking about how fast Larry the Cable Guy talks. Something to the effect of whats he really saying is "theres blacks moving in the neighborhood. Git-a-gun!" Instead of git-r-dun, you know. I wish I could find quotes from that but I can't...

bread's done
Back