Laserdiscs

skinkrawl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
30 (100%)
Anyone on CAG collect these mysterious relics?

If so, where do you find them? How much are you paying? What titles are you looking for?

I began collecting six years ago and total over 1000 now. I have a ton of extras and would love to trade with anyone if there's interest, or just discuss these old guys and give them their due. Plenty of cool discs released in their day, and players that make any modern gaming system look cheap in price.

Yea the physical disk prices are reallly dropping. 4 for $10 DVD's at flea markets is the norm. It's really gotten amazing

I also have Homeward Bound, the Incredible Journey on LD. This has never been released in widescreen on DVD that I know of (or BluRay of course), or in digital sound. I would really like for Disney to redo this one, I think the music is outstanding in this movie.

Of course I'm sure I am in the vast minority on this one. I am happy to own the LD.

my dad and some of his friends had Laser Discs. they were lots of fun. I think he had a Doors LD, Queen LD, and maybe a genesis LD (not sure on that one though). I remember watching "blown away."

I wish I could remember the name of the electronics store that he bought it at... grrrr. it got bought out by someone else, which caused a lot of trouble with his extended warranty on his 56in. projection tv.
this was prior to best buy and I know it wasn't a radio shack.

it was dimly lit, lots of massive receivers, tape decks, TVs. Those kind of places had a very distinctive smell. computer stores come close to it.

I have heard Back to the future is better on laser disc because they were true widescreen while the DVDs had black bars added to the top and bottom to make it look widescreen.

Excellent story bearkiss!!!

[quote name='Megatim81']I have heard Back to the future is better on laser disc because they were true widescreen while the DVDs had black bars added to the top and bottom to make it look widescreen.[/QUOTE]

Only a few spots during Back To The Future 2 on the original DVD release was messed up due to improper framing. Universal however fixed that and offered a corrected DVD with the proper widescreen framing. Both the new DVD and Blu-Ray also have the proper widescreen framing.

[quote name='skinkrawl']Rex might have been the store.[/QUOTE]

no, that wasn't it. it was a two word place... I am going to have to ask my dad if he remembers.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Only a few spots during Back To The Future 2 on the original DVD release was messed up due to improper framing. Universal however fixed that and offered a corrected DVD with the proper widescreen framing. Both the new DVD and Blu-Ray also have the proper widescreen framing.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, good to know about the Blu-ray being done properly.

[quote name='Megatim81']Thanks, good to know about the Blu-ray being done properly.[/QUOTE]

No problem. They are well worth owning on Blu-Ray as well. The picture and sound quality are excellent along with the bonus material. Especially the new documentary's that are done for each film. Well worth it.

I imagine the original LD's for Dragon's Lair 1 and 2, and Space Ace, among other arcade LD games are quite collectible. Trying to remember the name of the Williams LD arcade game, like a futuristic motorcycle race through an alternate planet setting, that one was cool. Can't be many of those discs out there.

Ah Yes, Star Rider

[quote name='venturin']I also have Homeward Bound, the Incredible Journey on LD. This has never been released in widescreen on DVD that I know of (or BluRay of course), or in digital sound. I would really like for Disney to redo this one, I think the music is outstanding in this movie.

Of course I'm sure I am in the vast minority on this one. I am happy to own the LD.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather have the original Incredible Journey on DVD in widescreen.

[quote name='venturin']I imagine the original LD's for Dragon's Lair 1 and 2, and Space Ace, among other arcade LD games are quite collectible. Trying to remember the name of the Williams LD arcade game, like a futuristic motorcycle race through an alternate planet setting, that one was cool. Can't be many of those discs out there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, those go for good money. Would love to own a copy of those three.

I've been casually looking for a LD player and discs. Ran across a hoard of them at a yard sale once, the player and about 40 discs. Unfortunatley they were asking $200 for the lot. I guess it wouldn't really go well with my 1970 Zenith TV and flip-top Magnavox VHS anyway.

[quote name='venturin']

Pioneer Laservision Player LD-V2000
[/QUOTE]

When I was in elementary school, every classroom had this Laserdisc player. My teachers never used them. I think in my entire elementary school life, I saw 1 educational film on LD. What a big waste of money.

This is one of the best threads that I have read in some time. Really brought back some good memories. My favorite LDs were T2 and the Definitive Star Wars collection...of course my buddies at boarding school preferred to watch Basic Instinct a thousand times. Anyhow, I'd ride the train into Boston and stroll to some video store on Newbury Street to buy my LDs. Good times. Wish that I saved some of that cash now in retrospect...but alas, good times.

I got a crate of old Anime laser disc's and some sci-fi fantasy movies, I'd pass em along if some one would pay shipping, pm me if your interested.

Cool....a laserdisc thread :D

I got into laserdisc in 1985 with a Pioneer VP1000 and 20 or so used discs. First new purchase was the original release of Weird Science.

Currently own 1500+ and pick them up occasionally from eBay or Half Price Books.

I've got a lot of rare ones and tons of box sets.
I was a dvd holdout until Starship Troopers was released and bought the DVD (first DVD for me) before the laser as they delayed the LD a few weeks (bought it too)

I continued to buy new lasers up to Sleepy Hollow/Bringing out the Dead, which were the final US released discs.

When lasers were prime to dump, I briefly considered selling the lot to Big Emma and submitted my list. The offers were generous approching 10k at the time as I recall but I decided to hang on to all of them.
I'm glad I did....I have the room and really like this format...a bit of sentimentality in there too.

Most of my collection is listted on the LDDB....you can see it here. It's sorted by most recent acquisitions. Not everything is there but it's 95% all there.

As for players, I still have the VP1000 as well as a PR8210, LD700, CLD-D502, 2 CLD-D704 and an LD-S2

http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?action=list&user=laserdogg&sort=recent

Last edited by a moderator:
I have what is, to my knowledge, the most expensive LD player. A Pioneer Mega-LD. Last I checked, and it's been a couple of years, they were going for about a grand. As for my collection (not counting the Mega-LD games). Star Wars 4-6 (original version), Johnny got his gun, Monty Python's Quest for the holy grail (Japanese version), Tiny Toons: How I spent my summer vacation, Clerks, Woodstock 94, Madonna's Immaculate Collection, Purple Rain, Pretty Baby, Hidden Fortress, Wild Orchid 2... Pretty sure I have more than that, but that's all I can remember from memory.

I probably had about 100 LD's at my peak of collecting but ended up sellng off my collection in 2003/2004 when LD's were being routinely replaced by DVD (although still I'm still waiting for The Game - Criterion). The flipper on my Pioneer DVL-700 stopped working (a DVD - LD combo player), but the final straw was when I sold my Denon AVR which had a built in AC3 RF jack and discovered that I'd have to get a separate AC3 RF demodulator to get 5.1 sound from LD with my new gear. The prices on the AC3 RF demodulators were at the time (and still are) more than I was willing to spend on a dying technology.

Was searching at Half Price Books today and because of this thread I checked out the Laserdiscs.

I didn't plan to buy any, but is the Criterion version of King Kong rare? They had a copy for 5 dollars. Other notables were the Indiana Jones movies, Mortal Kombat and a bunch of sealed Street Fighter 2 anime series ones. Any of these worth anything?

I don't have a Laserdisc player or intend to start a collection (DVDs and Blu-rays are my game), but I might pick up a few cool looking covers if I can find any cheap enough.

If you wanted to pick up LDs and trade for stuff on my list, I'd be down for that. Let me know what you see and we could work out something.

[quote name='ShirtSizeXXXLXT']I have been a fan of his since I was a really little kid. I rented "The ComplEAT Al" (never noticed the spelling before...lol) once and tried to get my local rental place to let me buy it, but they wouldn't budge. I've always wanted it and have kinda been casually looking for it these days. There is a couple LD's on ebay, one for $80, and one for $60. I kinda don't want to pay that much for it though...especially considering I don't even have a LD player...yet.
That's a great story you have about getting him to sign it. Don't ever let that one go man, I know how much that must mean to you.
Isn't he such a great freaking guy? I got the chance to meet him last summer...just me and him. He was so awesome. Here's a pic.
[/QUOTE]

Are you the guy from Mad TV and $@!# My Dad Says (Will Sasso)? LOL you look just like him.

Skin, sorry to take so long getting back on this. Freecycle is a Internet based group that gives folks the ability to give usable items away to people that can use them. For example , you join a local group and post you have an old stereo to give away. Rather than trash it or Goodwill you can let someone on freecycle claim it and pick it up. Just search freecycle and your local area and you'll find out where to join.

I have the GREAT killer rat movies "Ben" and "Willard" on LD that have never been released on dvd that I'm aware of.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Only a few spots during Back To The Future 2 on the original DVD release was messed up due to improper framing. Universal however fixed that and offered a corrected DVD with the proper widescreen framing. Both the new DVD and Blu-Ray also have the proper widescreen framing.[/QUOTE]

They also offered an exchange for the BTTF 2 discs very quickly. Only if you had one of the first pressings would you have had an issue with it -- at least they were on top of it at the time.

[quote name='DestroVega']What do laser disc movies look like on HDTV's in this era of Blu-Ray? DVD quality?[/QUOTE]

Not hot unless you have a really good player and some serious add-ons, and even then it's not perfect by any means. I keep mine hooked up to an analog projector, and they look great. You get that warmer feel (i.e. how vinyl gives a warmer sound, LD gives a warmer, more film-like look).

[quote name='DestroVega']What do laser disc movies look like on HDTV's in this era of Blu-Ray? DVD quality?[/QUOTE]

Not super sharp or anything. They look better on a CRT TV as the lack of sharpness isn't there. Of course, even with LDs the telecines were in many cases far inferior to the digitizing they do today.

Still, it's the only way to legally see some movies.

bread's done
Back