Last-gen hidden gems...preferably less than $10

chrisnsally

CAGiversary!
Feedback
114 (100%)
So I picked up some really good PS2 games at the last B2G1 free sale at EB, and it got me thinking - what other great, cheap last-gen games am I missing?

Please add your list of last gen GEMS (not games like RE4 or Zelda titles, but the rare, diamond-in-the-rough titles you really enjoyed that the press missed out on).

Here's my few:

PS2
R-Type Final
Contra: Shattered Soldier
Deus-Ex
Red Star
War of the Monsters

I'm assuming you didn't mean PS2 only so...
Very few people have heard of or played Sniper Elite, but it's one of my absolute favorite games of all time. I still play it to this day and it has great split-screen co-op! Please try it!

Also, Call of Cthulhu:Dark Corners of the Earth. It's really creepy and especially great if you're into Lovecraft.

Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube is also spectacular!

I'll try to think of some more...

Blood Will Tell for PS2!!

It's an awesome 3D action-adventure game from SEGA based on the manga "Dororo" by Osamu Tezuka (of Astro/Atom Boy fame). You play as a samurai who had 40 of his body parts stolen by demons when he was born and proceed to team up with a young thief named Dororo on a quest to recover said body parts.
The game is A LOT of fun and should be pretty cheap nowadays so check it out!

Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero and TXR 3. Ugly but super-addictive street-racing games.

Instead of just running races against packs of cars, you cruise the highways around Japan, looking for rivals. When you find someone you want to race against, you flash your headlights at them and the race is on. To win, you have to stay ahead of your opponent until their life meter drains. Overall they're very unique experiences marred slightly by wonky steering and unspectacular graphics.

Metal Arms (Glitch in the System) - Gamecube or PS2. Just a blast and I loved the 3rd person aspect of the game.

XIII - Cell Shaded FPS style is what carries this game.

Culdcept for PS2.

A card-based game that's a mix of Monopoly and yu-gi-oh (sp?). IMO, there is no bigger hidden gem.

Sky Odessy for PS2. Great and challenging plane game for ps2 that you should be able to score for five bucks. Will make your hands sweat from the tension!

[quote name='Snake2715']Metal Arms (Glitch in the System) - Gamecube or PS2. Just a blast and I loved the 3rd person aspect of the game.[/QUOTE]

I picked this up for my 7yr. old son, for $3.99 on GC during the GS B2G1 free. He came and told me after playing for about an hour, "this game is awesome!"

[quote name='js1']I picked this up for my 7yr. old son, for $3.99 on GC during the GS B2G1 free. He came and told me after playing for about an hour, "this game is awesome!"[/quote]

:lol: I don't really care. But weren't there quite a few F-bombs as well as other unsavory words in that game? I remember thinking it was really pushing the T rating it had.

Like I said, it doesn't really bother me that a 7 year old is playing it, I was just wondering if you knew that.

[quote name='js1']PS2: I really enjoyed these two, Sky Gunner and R.A.D.[/quote]

RAD is one of the coolest games ever if youre into big robots. cheesy storyline but controlling the robots is the shit. i dunno why these guys never did another one ( unless the first didnt sell too well) but its one of those games worth owning just to say you do but aside from that its fun. id like to see these guys do a power ranger game.

Id consider Gun and Red dead Revolver sort of hidden gems as well ( red Dead Revolver more so than gun since gun was kinda well known). very cool western games that if combined would make for one of the best games ever.

and psi ops. not very well advertised for but the best psi powers game ever.

dark alliance 1
if you have an xbox you can get dark alliance 2, which should be cheaper then the ps2

onimusha 1

viewtiful joe 1 and 2

rygar

castlevania lament of innocence

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']Culdcept for PS2.[/quote]

I'll second that. Took me a long time to find a used copy at a Gamestop, but it is a keeper.

Wow, maybe I play games too much, but games like Metal Arms and Culdcept, are they really hidden gems? I figured these were on the Ico type level of games, not everyone has played them, but usually you hear about it.

I buy tons of games, and I still have games on one of the past systems that I haven't played yet (haven't gotten Psychonauts (even though I want to), haven't played Pikmin.

Without knowing what you have played, hard to suggest, since there are hundreds of games between the 3 systems that are worth playing on some level.

My personal suggestion, how about the Ratchet & Clank series. I played the first and liked it, but then forgot about the series. After reading topic after topic on it here, I forked the $10 for Going Commando, and loved every second of my first playthrough of it (that got close to 20 hours).

[quote name='lordxixor101']Wow, maybe I play games too much, but games like Metal Arms and Culdcept, are they really hidden gems?
My personal suggestion, how about the Ratchet & Clank series.[/quote]

No offense, but you really cracked me up.:lol:

Killer7 (GC/PS2, though I've heard the GC version is better), if'n you're okay with infinitely respawning enemies from time to time. Other than that, it's solid.

Magic Pengel (PS2), the second oddest RPG I've ever seen.

Ditto on Culdcept - I hate card-type games, but couldn't stop playing. Had a friend who bought a PS2 just so he could play it. Seriously!

Champions of Norrath and Dark Alliance - agreed!

[quote name='js1']I picked this up for my 7yr. old son, for $3.99 on GC during the GS B2G1 free. He came and told me after playing for about an hour, "this game is awesome!"[/QUOTE]

Should I say this?

If you liked the vibe of halo you will like this game. There were some very hectic battles, and I really, really enjoyed the game.

** double edit...

There were some parts that had the F bomb I do believe. They come and go quickly, but the poster that mentioned this is correct. I do not remember many past the first few chapters however, sop if he is that far then he has seen the worst.

...not sure Ratchet & Clank is a 'hidden' gem...considering there are about 5 sequels and several of them are Greatest hits....but thanks for the input!

Let's keep 'em coming!!!

PS1:
Syndicate Wars
Project Overkill (still one of my all time favorites)
X-Com UFO Defense

Not sure if all of these are very unknown, but I don't recall hearing a lot of press for them:
-Chibi Robo
-Baten Kaitos
-Spartan: Total Warrior
-Breakdown
-Darkwatch
-Freedom Fighters
-Otogi 1&2
-The Suffering
-Xyanide
-Yakuza
-Indigo Prophecy
-Beyond Good and Evil, It's about as hidden as Ico or Psychonauts but still is a must play.
-Max Payne 1&2 were fairly popular when they came out, but seem to have faded into obscurity.

Man Klonoa2 :Lunatea's Veil was amazing, especially as it it's an early PS2 game. Seriously, go get it now if you like good games.

Psychonauts (PS2, Xbox, PC)-Played it in Gametap; a ton of fun.

"Breakdown" is definitely good. "The Suffering" is quite good. I would love to see a remake this gen. Midway could seriously do a lot more with it now given hardware. I honestly think they could make it one of their prime franchises, if only for 2 reboots. I honestly think "The Suffering" did carve out it's own niche in comparison to "Fatal Frame", "Silent Hill" and "Resident Evil". I would call it a more brutal "Silent Hill". "Silent Hill" has disturbing images but it's more quiet in how it's presented in comparison.

[quote name='darthbudge']:lol: I don't really care. But weren't there quite a few F-bombs as well as other unsavory words in that game? I remember thinking it was really pushing the T rating it had.

Like I said, it doesn't really bother me that a 7 year old is playing it, I was just wondering if you knew that.[/QUOTE]

In the beginning of the game there is a funny cut scene where there is one of the robot cussing, but they were *bleeped* out.

[quote name='sniping_dreamer']Man Klonoa2 :Lunatea's Veil was amazing, especially as it it's an early PS2 game. Seriously, go get it now if you like good games.[/QUOTE]

Me and my son LOVED this one! It was one of the first games he ever beat. I am looking forward to the "wii"make of the first one.

[quote name='kewlrabbit']Not sure if all of these are very unknown, but I don't recall hearing a lot of press for them:
-Chibi Robo
-Baten Kaitos
-Spartan: Total Warrior
-Breakdown
-Darkwatch
-Freedom Fighters
-Otogi 1&2
-The Suffering
-Xyanide
-Yakuza
-Indigo Prophecy
-Beyond Good and Evil, It's about as hidden as Ico or Psychonauts but still is a must play.
-Max Payne 1&2 were fairly popular when they came out, but seem to have faded into obscurity.[/QUOTE]

I have played most of those on your list, and most of them were fantastic! Another one I can think of was one for GC called Gotcha Force.
It's like a simpler version of Power Stone with the collecting aspect of Pokemon, and robots!

Another couple I can think of are the two Viewtiful Joe games. Great style, graphics, and can be hard as hell at times. For $2.99/$3.99 @ GS you can't go wrong!

As you guys can tell, I mainly bought GC games during the B2G1 sale.

[quote name='js1']Me and my son LOVED this one! It was one of the first games he ever beat. I am looking forward to the "wii"make of the first one.[/quote]

Heh, I still remember it has "two player" mode. One person controls Klonoa, the other controls Popka. It was limited though; as Popka, you press a button, and it gives Klonoa a slight boost.
I played through almost the entire game as Popka with my cousin. I don't think he would've ever finished it without my help.

Brave Fencer Musashi (PS1)
Einhander (PS1)
Tomba! (PS1)
Mister Mosquito (PS2)
Mad Maestro (PS2)
Sega Smash Pack vol 1 (Dreamcast)
Shadow Hearts Series (PS2)
Brothers in Arms Series(Xbox - definately better on xbox than on PS2, not really hidden, but I love these games and they are not BC on xbox!!!!)

Going $10 and under here according to Gamestop prices:

I-Ninja is quite a bit of fun $5 I think

The Thing was pretty good also. $4 I think

Legaia 2 was a pretty good RPG and only $5

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance was a good RPG and I think is $6 or 7.

bajungai? i'm not sure how the spelling is.

shadow hearts maybe a good game but it isn't $10 or less.

resident evil code veronica ps2 since the dc version is discontinued

isn't prince of persia sands of time less than $10?

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']Culdcept for PS2.

A card-based game that's a mix of Monopoly and yu-gi-oh (sp?). IMO, there is no bigger hidden gem.[/QUOTE]

It's more like Magic The Gathering meets Monopoly. It's a really good game, but the single-player is cheap as all hell.

I've found a bunch of cheap gems thanks to CAG over the years. Here's a few of my favs;

Bombastic (PS2) - sequel to the PS1 Devil Dice game. Sort of hard to figure out at first, but it's a very addicting Puzzle game when you do.

Rygar (PS2) - It was God of War years before the game came out. Sort of tough, but a very engaging action game.

Haunting Ground (PS2) - A good survival-horror game from Capcom. Plays very similar to the Clock Tower series.

Mobile Light Force 1 & 2 (PS1 & PS2) - Originally debuting at $10 & $15 respectively, both games were actually translated versions of two very different shoot-em-ups - Gunbird (1 or 2?) and Castle Shikigami 2. You noted shooters in your original post, so you'll definitely like these games.

Can't really think of anything right now, but there's plenty of cheap games out there.

Also for $4, The Thing is an incredible purchase for $4.

I've posted this game in a million hidden gem threads on CAG before, but check out Phantom Dust (Xbox). Badass story, music, and visuals wrapped around an interesting and fun action game that has you pick up powers (magic cards) from your arsenal (your deck) and take out your opponents. Lots of cool bosses in the story mode and I think there are still people online, but they will probably kick your ass if you don't beat the single player first.

[quote name='sj41']I've posted this game in a million hidden gem threads on CAG before, but check out Phantom Dust (Xbox). Badass story, music, and visuals wrapped around an interesting and fun action game that has you pick up powers (magic cards) from your arsenal (your deck) and take out your opponents. Lots of cool bosses in the story mode and I think there are still people online, but they will probably kick your ass if you don't beat the single player first.[/quote]

Oh yeah! Phantom Dust is amazing! Definitely buy this game if you have not checked it out.

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy(Xbox/PS2/GC) is an awesome platform/action/adventure game that more people shoudl have played. This is probably the one game that I most wish would get a sequel.

:xbox:Panzer Dragoon Orta ($6.99)
:ps2:La Pucelle: Tactics ($9.99)
:ps2:The Bard's Tale ($7.99)

And my personal guilty pleasure...:ps2:Gladius ($7.99). Under the laughable story and horrible characters there was a DAMN solid SRPG in there.

[quote name='lordxixor101']Wow, maybe I play games too much, but games like Metal Arms and Culdcept, are they really hidden gems?
My personal suggestion, how about the Ratchet & Clank series.[/quote]

:rofl:

Yeah, a series that has 6 games across 3 platforms that have all sold over a million copies each; now that is a hidden gem

Last edited by a moderator:
sphinx was a good game but it had an odd rushed/unfinished quality about it. as i recall there wasnt much if any voice acting but the characters mouths moved as if there was supposed to be. that aside the bits i played of it it was a pretty solid game.

bread's done
Back