Latest Windows Update messing up network settings?

Alpha2

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Yesterday my computer alerted me that it had auto downloaded the latest updates for WinXP, you know the usual secutiy hole plugs and such. So I told it to go ahead and install them and then it told me I had to reboot for the changes to take effect. Once I was back up though it started screwing up my connection to the internet.

I couldn't access my.yahoo to read my email (although I could get to the regular yahoo.com page), I couldn't read several forums including CAG, I could use Google but couldnt access any links it brought up, I couldn't even access parts of the Windows update site to see if it had downloaded incorrectly or look for a further update that would fix the problem! I eventually had to use a Restore Point to reverse the damage the update had done. When it was happening I figured it had to be the Firewall so I changed it's permissions, I even turned it off completely and no luck, my internet security was always set to medium high and no changes there did anything either.

I let it download the update again last night and installed a second time before heading to bed, when I woke up this morning it had once again screwed up my connection. I'm internet sharing through a win98 PC with 56k connection, and while I think 56k is full of crap I doubt that was the cause of the problem, it had to be something in the update.

Anyone else experience something like this, and have an idea how to fix it? I'd rather not let the Windows security holes build up if possible.

Indeed, it's the only way I could be online today unless I used the Desktop itself... which I dont want to since it's not in my room. I made sure to set a restor point before I let it reinstall the update.

Then I told the security not to download it again without permission and right now that annoying little yellow sheild is sitting there waiting for my permission to fuck my connection over again.

fucking Service Pack 2.

Hmmm...Perhaps that was why my connection was being so messed up the other night. It seems to have settled down now, so maybe that wasn't it, but it does seem cusriously coincidental...

Windows sucks and so does any and all of the Windows Updates that they have you do. I know that without them, you're technically not as safe as you could be, but I think that without them you have less troubles and your computer runs more smoothly. I don't know if you remember my thread about not being able at all to even download any of the Windows Updates not too long ago.

Just an FYI maybe your it's not your network settings. If you're a Comcast HSI subscriber they're DNS servers are all messed up and you would be getting the intermittent gaps in service that you seem to be describing. Try changing your servers and see if that fixes your problem. Good luck!

Yeah, I initially thought that Windows Update had pooch-screwed my network connection somehow, but it turned out to be the Comcast DNS server problem. I've been fine the last couple of days, so it seems like maybe Comcast is finally getting their shit together.

This is strongly indicative of spyware or poorly designed third party software on your system. This is the reason for nearly all post-update failures. Much spyware and some more legitimate product do very nasty restructuring of the network stack. This works alright until an update needs to make changes to fix a problem.

This is exactly the reason why I never auto update. I prefer to do it myself so I know what's passing through my firewalls and v-scans.

Thanks for the suggestions unfortunatly I dont use Comcast (I use Earthlink/mindspring) and my spyware detection and antivirus are kept as up to date as possible. But I do agree about how other programs can mung things up for you, sadly I dont see how to fix it without randomly deleting things (I knew a friend that did that, his computer wound up a battered retard child laying on the floor of his living room drooling with a DSL line plugged into it's ass... it wasnt pretty.)

something similar happened to me the other day, I was transfering some files from a friends computer over to my new PC, I walked away and when I came back I saw that my friends computer had just restarted after installing some updates. After the restart I couldn't get the network working again.

I had to re-run the MS home network setup wizard a few times on each PC and then wait about 5 minutes before my network started working again. Needless to say I immediately disabled the auto-update function on his computer so I wouldn't have to deal with that mess again.

I just had the worst couple of days, I was getting tired of SP2s bitchy little shield telling me my computer was unprotected just because my auto update wasn't on so I decided to set a restore point just in case and download a couple of updates to shut it up. Well of course as before the network died on my once again I couldn't access much of anything, I could only access a site by entering in the IP address of where I wanted to go (like yahoo unfortunatly I still couldn't access email because Yahoo has so many servers to go through so no direct IP). So I fired up the Restore point only to find "windows can not restore you computer to this point: Nothing has been altered" or words to that effect. So now I was trapped with a fucked up install and no one I talked to haad a clear explaintion of why it was happening.

I reset Winsock, checked my hostfile, did DNS refreshes, checked my own IP, tried to repair the connection and all manner of things. eventually I figured out how to uninstall updates in my add/remove programs but still I couldn't get online again. so finally I got feed up and just ripped SP2 the fuck out of my computer.

All fixed.

Bill Gates, I'd very much like to beat you half to death with a shovel, rip out your intestines and slap you stupid with them and then squeeze the crap out of them onto you and piss in your eyesockets..... then set you on fire and beat you the other half to death... just to be thorough.

As much as I tried to learn to accept SP2 it just wasnt destined to be, it's a load of crap and it will screw you eventually.

Frustrated dosent even BEGIN to describe what I am right now.

MOTHERFOCKING SON OF A BITCH DICKWEED SHITCODE Wix XP fucks me again, not content to just go the hell away SP2 has managed to rere it's head again. Since I'd deleted a bunch of updates I decided to check and see if I needed any pre SP2 updates since I was planning to never use M$s stuppid service ever again. You know, one for the road. It listed several updates non of which mentioned anything about SP2 so I figured they'd be safe. Unfortunatly they werent and it screwed my connection again. so I went to delete the updates and noticed several which were specifically labled SP2 hotfixes (which frankly shouldnt be there since I didnt have SP2 anymore). So I figuring they were the cause of the problem, having someting to do with SP2, I deleted them, but one remained because for some ungodly reason it dosent have a delete option in the Add/Remove list. Getting fed up and discovering this hotfix is largly concidered "undeletable" apparently even by M$, I decided to do another restore point but the most recent one was back when I still had SP2.

I decided to restore to that point and then I'd just uninstall it again. I saw the little red shield denoting my turned off protection, closed it's stupid pop up and then after RE-deleting the previous updates I'd done before I tried to remove SP2...and it removed it... but only from the Add/Remove list! the stupid freaking SP2 is still in my computer now, it's like the handle for yanking it out broke off in my hand! So now I'm stuck again and cant even remove it because I dont have the SP2 disk (I downloaded it from M$) I ordered the disk but there's no telling how long it's going to take to get here so I can try to fully remove the thing!

At this point I'd be digging up Bill's body to KILL THE BASTARD AGAIN!

[quote name='Alpha2']Frustrated dosent even BEGIN to describe what I am right now.

MOTHERFOCKING SON OF A BITCH DICKWEED SHITCODE Wix XP fucks me again, not content to just go the hell away SP2 has managed to rere it's head again. Since I'd deleted a bunch of updates I decided to check and see if I needed any pre SP2 updates since I was planning to never use M$s stuppid service ever again. You know, one for the road. It listed several updates non of which mentioned anything about SP2 so I figured they'd be safe. Unfortunatly they werent and it screwed my connection again. so I went to delete the updates and noticed several which were specifically labled SP2 hotfixes (which frankly shouldnt be there since I didnt have SP2 anymore). So I figuring they were the cause of the problem, having someting to do with SP2, I deleted them, but one remained because for some ungodly reason it dosent have a delete option in the Add/Remove list. Getting fed up and discovering this hotfix is largly concidered "undeletable" apparently even by M$, I decided to do another restore point but the most recent one was back when I still had SP2.

I decided to restore to that point and then I'd just uninstall it again. I saw the little red shield denoting my turned off protection, closed it's stupid pop up and then after RE-deleting the previous updates I'd done before I tried to remove SP2...and it removed it... but only from the Add/Remove list! the stupid freaking SP2 is still in my computer now, it's like the handle for yanking it out broke off in my hand! So now I'm stuck again and cant even remove it because I dont have the SP2 disk (I downloaded it from M$) I ordered the disk but there's no telling how long it's going to take to get here so I can try to fully remove the thing!

At this point I'd be digging up Bill's body to KILL THE BASTARD AGAIN![/QUOTE]

This is why I'm still on 2000. XP's still too glitchy a system to adequately use. 2000's always been stable and the few times it wasn't was due to my own negligence. Roll back to 2000 and you'll save yourself a lot of problems. I'm still getting updates and I see no reason to upgrade to XP until they work out the stability issues and/or they will no longer update 2000.

All disabling the fire wall gets you is more annying pop ups from the little shield in yout tool bar demanding you turn it back on.

I didn't hav'e much choice but to accept WinXP because it was preinstalled on my laptop when I bought it. For the most part it'd been generally okay except that it was getting attacked with virui every 15 days and I wanted to make sure my last virus was my LAST virus.

[quote name='Alpha2']All disabling the fire wall gets you is more annying pop ups from the little shield in yout tool bar demanding you turn it back on.

I didn't hav'e much choice but to accept WinXP because it was preinstalled on my laptop when I bought it. For the most part it'd been generally okay except that it was getting attacked with virui every 15 days and I wanted to make sure my last virus was my LAST virus.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... I don't use SP2... sucks to be you. :lol:

*returns from the grave to be CAG's first undead poster....*

*...then eats your brains... *

*...then leaves unsatisfied with such a small meal*

Whatever, this bullshit isnt helping.
If anyone has a suggestion other than a reformat I'm all ears.

Right now what I really need is a back up of the $NtServicePackUninstall$ folder if there's anyone here who could zip a copy of it for me I'd be highly greatful as it's the only way to uninstall the SP2 and its the one definate thing I know I dont have.

bread's done
Back