Layton 2 coming August

I just beat it today. I'm still going through the game and finishing off all the puzzles I missed, tho there's still two I can't solve for the life of me.

I thought the "explanation" for the ending was not as weird as the first game, but still pretty f'ing weird. Also, I was once again surprised at what a badass Professor Layton.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I just finished this. Great game, but it kind of fizzled at the end.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I felt the same way about the first game.

I dunno. I really liked the ending. It certainly wasn't boring.

This was my first Layton title, and I was expecting to be more frustrated, given all the math problems. But damn, I loved it from start to finish, with the exception of a few "trick puzzles" that used sly wording to trip you up. (I prefer the more straightforward puzzles) ... I also swore to myself that I wouldn't use the game's built-in cheat system (find the answer, reboot, re-load, solve) ... it's much more enjoyable that way, because I felt I earned every picarat.

I've downloaded all the weekly puzzles, too. Those Knight's Tour challenges are mesmerizing.

With 135/150 puzzles solved, I have about 4200 Picarats available... in other words, I need to solve the really difficult trash/knight challenges in order to unlock everything.

I still have to finish the last 2 "downloadable" puzzles from the first game. I do have Diabolical Box in my hands now, though.

I am 30 puzzles in and this game rocks my socks. I am listening to the soundtrack right now!

The story feels a little more coherent than the first game. It also feels more puzzle dense, but that may just be my faulty memory.

Hmm...I was devouring this, but now I'm at the point where I have to go to the castle for what is obviously the final portion of the game, and I've discovered to my great annoyance that I missed ONE person with the tea (it shows 25/26, I believe). I swear I've served everyone in town and can't find anyone with the white sweat thingies. I really liked the tea minigame, and would love to unlock the Tea Master House or whatever you get for completing this. Is there any hope if I don't have an old save? Should I just give up and finish the game?

Also, I got the hamster down to level 0 very early on with only 5 or 6 of his toys. I assumed that was the end of that minigame as he
then started finding coins for me
, but as I progressed the townsfolk gave me like 8 more hamster toys, so I'm wondering if I'm supposed to set some sort of record with him to unlock something else.

And don't you also get some sort of reward for completing all available puzzles before finishing out the story?

Love this game, but these little things are making me neurotic. I need to finish this up so I can start Zelda: Spirit Tracks!

You can still go back and serve tea after finishing the game. It doesn't save beyond the final castle; it only keeps your last save point right before the final entrance and battle. Not sure, though, if anything is different if you do all the tea stuff before finishing the game.

[quote name='soonersfan60']You can still go back and serve tea after finishing the game. It doesn't save beyond the final castle; it only keeps your last save point right before the final entrance and battle. Not sure, though, if anything is different if you do all the tea stuff before finishing the game.[/QUOTE]

Nope, just opens some extra puzzles.

When is the 3rd one coming out? I hope it's better... I still enjoyed 2 but the path was much more linear and limiting, and I thought the "twist" was less believeable...

I got so distracted by Rhythm Heaven and NSMB Wii that I forgot this existed. I am probably halfway through the game still.

I just started this the other night. Why did I wait this long? It's just so utterly charming. Level 5 showcases astounding levels of pure storytelling. Music and artwork are just so beautiful, and the voice acting is actually GOOD. I mean I knew to expect that from the first one, but still - just amazed at how well they consistently do this.

It also occurs to me that the little avatars of the characters on the top screen when walking around have a VERY Earthbound look to them. Which is appropriate, what with...whatever game it is that's coming out that L5 is doing that has that style somewhat.

Anyway, absolutely brilliant. This is some of the best gaming on the DS easily.

I just finished the game today. I missed a handful of puzzles that I will go back to.

Got the code for the hidden secret in the first game. Went back and remembered that I am missing one puzzle somewhere in the game. I swear I scanned every section of that damn town. I might break down and read a FAQ. I also have 3 of the downloadable puzzles and a few of the "layton's challenges" to do.

I haven't checked out any of the bonus puzzles in this game, yet.

I guess I am ready for game #3. :)

bread's done
Back