LCD Monitor Screen Pads (PS2/Xbox/GC) $29.99 at CompUSA

Showstoppa42

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I originally posted this at the VG Talk Forum, and now all three are clearance:

Price Drop, Originally $99.99, now only $29.99 for the Hip Gear Screen Pad for PS2 (SKU #347647) or Xbox (SKU #347646) or Gamecube (SKU #299488) at CompUSA. Good for taking your console on the go with you. Available for in-store pickup.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=307647&pfp=SEARCH

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=307646&pfp=SEARCH

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?ref=cj&product_code=299488&pfp=SEARCH

From the manufacturer:

An amazing innovation from Hip Interactive - a full function controller with a built-in High Resolution LCD screen. You don't need a TV or monitor, just plug in this controller and play

793c8544-2c0b-11d7-a10c-00805fbbb715.gif

f30f1cfb-0518-11d7-a10b-00805fbbb715.gif

299488_f.gif

Good lord, how small is that screen? It's like the same size as the GBA. That would be AWFUL for playing games on.

Hmmm. How does this thing connect to the system? Since they have three versions I assume it might use the multi-out? If so, the GC version would work for N64 and SNES too.

[quote name='Lord Alfred']Hmmm. How does this thing connect to the system? Since they have three versions I assume it might use the multi-out? If so, the GC version would work for N64 and SNES too.[/quote]

The screen would but the controller would not. Anyway... does anyone own one of these things? I have to believe it would not be playable any 3D games on a screen that small would be awful.

[quote name='loserboy']I ordered one for store pick-up based on the following review:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/389/389742p1.html

My tv is often occupied by my wife and three year old...plus there's now a newborn here as well...my thinking is I might be able to sneak some playing time in while they watch Spongebob...[/quote]

Hmm...well, it got a better review than I would have guessed. Still, for $29.99 I can't justify it at all. Would be cool if I could remove the screen and incorporate it into my PC case though...hmmm...

What concerns me is that the pad is 3rd party of course and once the controller wears down to the point where it is unuseable, the screen is then useless. $29.99 seems like a good price considering what it first retailed for though.

Okay, just went out and bought the last Xbox version at my local CompUSA. The price on the shelf was still marked $99.99 but scanned at the $29.99 price.

Only slightly cumbersome to hook up but no big deal. Played Crimson skies. Text is extremely small, somewhat difficult to read but the image is sharp and clear. The color and contrast buttons are handy, easy to use, and effective. Stereo sound is okay, a little tinny. Comfortable to hold, not heavy or off-balance in the hands.

Overall, I'd say I'm impressed. The game was definately playable and the image and colors were very good. It will work well for me because my kids can use the Xbox while freeing up the TV for me. Should also be great travel. Xbox won't tie up the TV on Thanksgiving at the inlaws.

I'm glad I bought it and would recommend it. A steal at $29.99.
Thanks CheapAssGamer!

littlemonkey

I think it would be good for people who has a Gameboy Player. They can use this as a gameboy to play GC-GBA games like FFCC.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']What concerns me is that the pad is 3rd party of course and once the controller wears down to the point where it is unuseable, the screen is then useless. $29.99 seems like a good price considering what it first retailed for though.[/quote] Good point there. Does anyone here know if there is some way you could rig it up so you could use other controllers?

I might have to buy a Gamecube one. I'm going on a trip to Canada with my friends for school, and since they won't allow co-ed roomates (bastards), I'm gonna have someone I don't know (and could possibly not want to know) as a roomate, so I might as well have the good old Gamecube to play right?

Decent deal for $30, but the controller (PS2) is pretty crapola. The buttons are raised pretty high & not too response. Typical 3rd party controller stuff. Also, the video out connector actually blocks the optical out on the PS2, so you need to disconnect the toslink cable if you want to use the pad. Even if I'm not going to use the optical, why should I have to disconnect it?

Bottom line: it's a neat novelty, but not very useful and not very high quality. So the deciding factor is whether or not you'll pay $30 for a novelty item.

Can you use this as a controller only if needed? Wouldnt mind getting it for a backup controller with the added option of having a small screen if I need it.

Yep, sure can.

But I'd actually give it a better rating if it was just the screen. They should've spent their energies making a screen specifically designed to attach to a first party controller. It'd be even better if it was one generic screen with attachment adapters for each system.

it's a good controller, i'v used it for socom 2 online with no problems other then really tiny text. the black border of the screen is crooked though lol!

to many cords as well, one hookup in the back of the ps2, on controller hookup, and its own power pack, sega style! love the built in speakers, tint,contrast controls and brightnessi'd give it a 6 out of 10

it's a good controller, i'v used it for socom 2 online with no problems other then really tiny text. the black border of the screen is crooked though lol!

to many cords as well, one hookup in the back of the ps2, on controller hookup, and its own power pack, sega style! love the built in speakers, tint,contrast controls and brightnessi'd give it a 6 out of 10

OK. Wow. Just picked a PS2 one up for 19.99 at CompUSA, Deal of the week for me. Definetly enjoy it. Its sound blew me away! Actually, I have NO PROBLEM AT ALL seeing on it. The only thing is the screen is a bit flimsy. Playing DDR on it (using the buttons) was pretty good, Very responsive controllers and it does soemthing damn cool...When analog is turned off it makes it into a D-Pad so now I can play non-analog games with analog sticks (Multi-Directional) so FFVII analog verison is here for me lol. So...DEFINETLY A GREAT product at 19.99. If they went down to 10 Id buy a stack. 8/10

Question:
Can you hook up 2 of these simultaneously? So that each person gets their own screen.
If so, do you need a power outlet for each?
If so, is there some cheap power inverter with 3 outlets for the car?

[quote name='MauMauProductions']Playing DDR on it (using the buttons) was pretty good[/quote]
DDR with buttons seems kinda wrong to me... :whistle2:/ But I guess it's cool that the controller works that well.

For those of you that bought one, can the screen be used with a console it's not intended for (rca hookups) or does it come with the propriatery adapters already on them? I want to use one with a gameboy player, but the GC one is gone >_

You can hook up to 4 of these together, but it probably won't be too fun since you'll see the split screens on each unit. It could be fun for fighting games where the screen isn't split. Since these accept any AV input, the LCD can be used for any console.

you can use compusa zip code finder to see if your local store has it instock. they are being cleared out for $20 and sell out fast. may not be restocked. also, keep you eyes open for the compusa midnight madness sale this friday. it is currently unannounced, but I believe they are closing stores at 5, re-opening at 6pm then closing at midnight.

I was only testing DDR with buttons due to its multiple button pressing and to test how fast the buttons are pressed...accuracy tests hehe. I am going today to buy some more.

Is there anyway to disconnect the controller from the screen? So you could just use the lcd? Where are the A/V plugins?

got the GC one at a local comp usa today, rings up as 20.01, cashier over rides the price to $50?? (what it says on the box)

Guess I'll return it tomorrow and just rebuy it and hope guy doesn't override price again haha

Does anyone know if Best Buy or Circuit City will price match this deal? My area were out of stock of the item. Damn..

The deal is still on. The sign at my CompUSA (KOP, PA) stated that the $20 price is good for another two or three days (rings up as $21.20 after tax.)

jkam; no, the LCD is mounted on top of the controller. Removing it would require some small amount of skill to do so without damaging the controller (which I don't have, so I can't say any more about that.)
The controller+LCD has one cable running out of the back of it, which terminates in 3 ends: an a/c power outlet (for the a/c adapeter it comes with, to power the LCD,) a playstation/playstation2 controller outlet, and a video outlet which acts as a pass-through adapeter between your existing video cable and the ps2 video input jack.

Battoussai1002; yeah, each controller+LCD unit has its own power source : they can't subsist off the console for juice.

Also, it definitely works with both the playstation2 and the playstation. Only fault I can spot at a glance is that the locking mechanism to immobilize the LCD at any given desired angle isn't too strong. If you agitate the controller during play, you can knock the LCD loose and send it bending about. Or mebbe I'm just hamfisted. I'll hafta fiddle around with it some more. :-({|= As someone else already mentioned, you can use this in conjunction with a power inverter (CompUSA had one of the same make for $30) and take your ps2/psx on the road. The inverter provices 2 jacks: one for the playstation and one for your controller+LCD adapter.

[quote name='Mr. Rhee']you can use compusa zip code finder to see if your local store has it instock. they are being cleared out for $20 and sell out fast. may not be restocked. also, keep you eyes open for the compusa midnight madness sale this friday. it is currently unannounced, but I believe they are closing stores at 5, re-opening at 6pm then closing at midnight.[/quote]

Any idea of what's going on sale? I'm here until Sunday, so I can check that out :)

[quote name='Theenternal']I wonder if i could split screen time crisis 2 with this[/quote]

It is an LCD screen, so the Guncon won't work on it (if you were serious).

[quote name='rsigley']got the GC one at a local comp usa today, rings up as 20.01, cashier over rides the price to $50?? (what it says on the box)

Guess I'll return it tomorrow and just rebuy it and hope guy doesn't override price again haha[/quote]

That sucks that they did that (and that you didn't notice it at the time). I am sure they will make it right, hopefully without much pressure.

I just got back from buying 4 ps2 and 4 xbox versions (I didn't see any GC) for $20 each CompUSA (expensive lunch break). Even if I don't like them as controllers, I can figure out something to do with the screens. I'm glad to see they have gotten some decent reviews. I think these would be cool for LAN gaming (HALO anyone?) if one only has one TV -- Have your friends bring over an extra XBox or 2, and it could work (easier than lugging around another TV, anyway).

BASTARDS! I called the nearest compusa and they had 4 xbox versions in stock. So I go and look for them in the entertainment section and nothing so I then ask and they had me waiting and waiting and waiting until finally I got someone to help me out and they come out claiming they were stolen. WTF!!!! I put money down that they just kept them for themselves.

Their claiming all 4 were stolen is certainly a very thin lie. While the sales staff could've bought the controllers themselves, as you suspect, consider the possibility that they might have just been lazy and not moved fast enough after your call. Somebody might've come in and just bought them before the sales staff took the trouble to put them aside for you. What did you mean when you said that "you put money down [that they just kept for themselves]"?

I finally grabbed the Xbox Screen Pad at the CompUSA in downtown San Francisco (it was the last one, should've checked for PS2 versions as well). The controller is not that bad, but still needs improvement. I played MVP Baseball 2004 with it and had no problems viewing the game; it's a very good product overall.

The casing for where you plug the AV Out into the PS2 is very weak. Mine broke the first day (casing) and finally a wire came loose and I cant see anything. I am going tommorow for an exchange (Im good with CompUSA so it should work for sure ^_^) and then see where it goes from there...

this controller is not ideal for xbox lan gaming. your money is better spent on the price-dropped 5.4" lcd screen from the same company (HIP GEAR). EB is selling the 5.4 for $99 ($129-$149 elsewhere). or buy a 13" tv from target/walmart for $50-$60.

the screen pad is great if you happen to need it for portable gaming, but we tested these out at a recent lan-party (8 screenpads/8xboxes) and everyone started getting woozy staring down at this 2" screen. made Halo almost impossible to play/win. screen way too small. the appeal wears off quickly, but for $20, the combo is a steal, just for the sake of owning it. or hacking the lcd panel out and modding your pc case, etc.

I'm not hating the screen pad, just making sure eveyone's aware that most of the text will be unreadable, fps games will be impossible - sniping/targetting,etc.

Best Buy will honor pricematches but today is the last day for the COMPUSA ad (thursday). the circular ends today so make sure to get PM'ed right now. other stores may call CUSA to see if it's in stock before they PM and you'll be out of luck. CC called CUSA and didn't honor it.

compusa will honor the price for some time, but a new midnight madness sale starts tomorrow so this ad expires today for PM'ing.

also, the Gamecube screen pad is HARD TO FIND. if you do, it is $30, not $20.

good luck.

[quote name='mattfoley7']BASTARDS! I called the nearest compusa and they had 4 xbox versions in stock. So I go and look for them in the entertainment section and nothing so I then ask and they had me waiting and waiting and waiting until finally I got someone to help me out and they come out claiming they were stolen. WTF!!!! I put money down that they just kept them for themselves.[/quote]

I had checked online availability before going to CompUSA, but when I got there, I could only find 2 of the ps2 version and none of the Xbox version in the gaming section. I went up to customer service and asked about the Xbox version (I had the item #), and they showed 6 in stock. After checking with another employee, and that employee checking with 2 other employees, we finally located a rack (not in gaming) full of stuff marked $20 after rebate that had the controllers. Did you look all through the store?

Mr. Rhee: Thanks for all the information.

Anybody have a lead on a very tiny cheap TV tuner, and ditto on a portable power source for these things? :roll:

i contactedf cusa after the price change. they said since i ordered it online, and it was more then 14 days, they wouldn't refund the 10.bucks! it took a week for it to arrive(7 days), the price drop went into affect 5 days later (12 days making it a friday) no answer saterday despite repeated calls, and closed sunday (14 days), didn't get ahold of anyone untile monday(day 15). 1 friggin day!! unless it was a damn good deal, i'll keep my buisness from comp usa

bread's done
Back