Left 4 Dead 2 vs. Borderlands, on the Steam sale

rumarudrathas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Okay guys, I'm doing this here so my question won't be buried in the Steam holiday sale thread.

Both are pretty much in the same price-point, and I've been meaning on picking up both of them at one time or another. I know that deep down, both are two different games on principal and I know that I would enjoy either of them very much.

I picked up L4D only few months ago, and I really like what I experienced, but truth be told the game has been buried under Dragon Age and Torchlight. Since I'm currently in a RPG binge, I'm also looking into Borderlands and the much touted FPS/RPG goodness that it is.

How does the Coop on Borderlands work? Is it similar to L4D (drop in, drop out, server lists and whatnot). PUG qualities on either. Soloability?

So, for those who one or the either (or better yet, both!), any thoughts on the matter?

I have both (on 360) and I defintely think Borderlands is the better game, especially if you already have the first L4D

Left 4 Dead 2. Borderlands on the PC is something of a mess due to it being a console port, and multiplayer through Gamespy (bloody Gamespy!) is finicky at best. Borderlands' story is also just plain awful, and the ending is among the worst I've experienced in years. Make no mistake, the game itself is great, but it just has so many flaws that make it less enjoyable than it should be. If you're willing to put money and time into a flawed new IP, go with borderlands. Otherwise, go for the more polished Valve product. It doesn't break any new ground or blend genres together, but it's very much a hoot.

If you had to choose ONLY one, choose L4D2. It's a much improved game over L4D, so it made a good game better. It is a game with longer legs, IMO. If you can find friends who consistently play it, you'll be playing it for a very long time.

If you're just looking to play solo/intensely for a shorter period of time, Borderlands would be for you. You said you liked Torchlight, so you wouldn't mind the kill mobs, get loot formula. Play it for a few play throughs, but then you'll be done with it.

If you can afford to pick up both, go for it.

If you already have the first L4D, then get Borderlands. L4D2 isn't that much different from the first game and Borderlands is a totally different game from the L4D series. But I liked Borderlands more anyway.

Borderlands is great if you have friends that play it also, but I wouldn't advise going at it solo or with random strangers. The multiplayer matching is stone-age quality.

I can't in good conscience recommend L4D2 when L4D is cheaper and better IMO. However, Borderlands isn't that great of a solo experience and was made with multiplayer in mind. It's also incredibly short and lacking in replay value, so you might find yourself bored after a week or two when you hit level 50. I'd honestly get L4D if you don't have it and wait for these to hit $20 in a month or two.

borderlands, played through twice as a siren (to get to lv. 50), and im playing through it a third time as a hunter and still having fun with it, so i think the game has replay value because it is fun. l4d2 is just more of the same. improved sure, but still the same. and i also thought borderlands was a decent length. guessing id say it was 20 hours or more if you do all the side quests. so its not short imo, much longer then all the other shooters out. but of course its no fallout. though if you dont have friends to play it with i wouldnt suggest borderlands, then again i wouldnt suggest l4d2 either if you dont have friends. yes there is matchmaking, but i always enjoy co-op games much more with people i know then with randoms.

Come to think of it, I'm a pretty bad loner-type at multiplayer anyways, unless I find a really good group I could click with (like some random TF2 clans that I bounce from, one after another). So I guess both games would be a bad idea to pick up any of them by the way I'm planning on playing them (solo/single). Problem is, I'm looking for a good PC FPS to play with but: Far Cry had too much backtracking, never had to urge to pick up Crysis, and STALKER is such a buggy piece of software for me. I got MW2 for the ps3 and Halo 3 (of which, is thankfully collecting dust) for the 360, which feeds the man-child cluster-fuck that is console gaming.

I guess what I'm looking for is a solid FPS experience for the PC, with good play-life/replayability (shit, I miss the days of Thief 2 and the ungodly amount of hours I sunk in that game). I liked the idea of first L4D, and I do play a couple of nights of multiplayer, but truth be told, there is only like, 4k+ players on any given night (according to the player count) and after you run Crash Course 100x, it gets pretty old. I like the whole RPG-ness of Borderlands and it looked really solid, but I'm asking myself if I'm going to "click" with the game or not.

Maybe I should pull the CAG card, and wait for both to hit under $20? I do have a shit ton in the back-log, and I'm still trying to complete everything in Dragon Age in my first play-through.

Damn you Steam, and the way you make buying games so easy and tempting.

[quote name='rumarudrathas']I liked the idea of first L4D, and I do play a couple of nights of multiplayer, but truth be told, there is only like, 4k+ players on any given night (according to the player count) and after you run Crash Course 100x, it gets pretty old.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, WTG Valve splitting the community; fucking idiots. I hate Crash Course and for some reason it's the new No Mercy with everyone playing it so it puts me off as well. Can't really think of anything for ya mate. :\

[quote name='rumarudrathas']Maybe I should pull the CAG card, and wait for both to hit under $20? I do have a shit ton in the back-log, and I'm still trying to complete everything in Dragon Age in my first play-through. [/QUOTE]

If you have an extensive backlog and you can wait, just wait.

I might not really even be qualified to comment, as I'm not a huge shooter fan. Enjoyed the L4D demo, but I don't really even like co-op (I know, sacrilege).

But, I do like RPGs, and I LOVE Borderlands. It's a lot of fun. Got it for $20 on Amazon, but I wish I woulda got it on Steam instead so I wouldn't have to deal with putting the disc in the drive. I might end up buying it AGAIN on Steam, but it'll have to go pretty low for me. :)

Anyway, nothing wrong with L4D. I just think Borderlands is pretty special. Sounds like the co-op is cool, too. Check metacritic and read some reviews!

PS I miss Thief, too. I wish the Thief game on Steam would finally drop in price. It's old and I wanna buy it! Anyway good luck!

[quote name='kilm']If you have an extensive backlog and you can wait, just wait.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I guess that's true. I just have one hell of an impulse-buy control issues.

Chances are, Steam would put this game on sale again when the first free DLC comes out, at half the price during a free weekend, and with the gratuitous amount of DLCs being planned for Borderlands, I could just wait for the "deluxe edition" that packages all the DLCs in one box, for cheap.

bread's done
Back