Left 4 Dead (Xbox 360/PC) $48.99/$39.99 Shipped at Amazon

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']I pulled my amazon pre-order after playing the demo. Not only does the game look bad graphically, but I found it very un-fun to play and extremely repetitive. You have to move through it rather quickly, because if you go too slow they throw the badder zombies at you as punishment. It's just pray and spray once a big horde is on you and I found the demo took very little skill. Playing with 3 other people instead of bots seemed to be even worse. Thankfully, that demo saved me from making the mistake of buying L4D. Maybe once it hits sub-20 dollars I MIGHT check it out.[/QUOTE]

That's to bad, as this will be one of the greatest games this year, especially co-op wise.. just watch and see.

And honestly.. if this is "extremely repetitive" to you, I have to wonder what you thought of the over extreme rinse and repeat multiplayer of Call of Duty 4, which definitely requires no skill, and is constant spray and pray.

[quote name='freshzen']This game is so over hyped. The graphics and the engine are both outdated. Only reason why this game is even worth playing is the concept but this is far from a AAA game. Shame on Valve.[/QUOTE]

100% AAA title, just wait and see. Valve > Other developers.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Playing with 3 other people instead of bots seemed to be even worse.[/quote]
:bs:

Wha? The co-op on this is fantastic. It is no fun at all to play by yourself. The game isn't repetitive at all...the random AI is amazing.

DAMN! I had to change my payment info on Amazon and now it charged me for 53.99. I'm emailing them about those 5 dollars since I originally pre-ordered at the beginning of the month.

[quote name='Reck_Havoc']That's to bad, as this will be one of the greatest games this year, especially co-op wise.. just watch and see.

And honestly.. if this is "extremely repetitive" to you, I have to wonder what you thought of the over extreme rinse and repeat multiplayer of Call of Duty 4, which definitely requires no skill, and is constant spray and pray.

100% AAA title, just wait and see. Valve > Other developers.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't disagree with you more. The Call of Duty games are very fun. World at War has so much to unlock, great single player, which can also be played 4 player co-op. Throw in the new zombie mode and the game reeks of awesomeness. I was bored with the L4D demo after 3 quick plays through. I'm baffled as to how people think it's so great/fun.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Couldn't disagree with you more. The Call of Duty games are very fun. World at War has so much to unlock, great single player, which can also be played 4 player co-op. Throw in the new zombie mode and the game reeks of awesomeness. I was bored with the L4D demo after 3 quick plays through. I'm baffled as to how people think it's so great/fun.[/QUOTE]

Ah, the mighty battle of opinions. I personally loved Cod4 and seem to be on track to love Left 4 Dead even more. I don't see how you can be so "baffled". Some of my funniest gaming moments in recent time have stemmed from L4D's demo and it can't be said enough, expert and a team of friends = Times.
I guess it could be beaten down to, different row boats for different peeps but, you've got a fat ass hole in your boat if those 3 plays through were by yourself.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Couldn't disagree with you more. The Call of Duty games are very fun. World at War has so much to unlock, great single player, which can also be played 4 player co-op. Throw in the new zombie mode and the game reeks of awesomeness. I was bored with the L4D demo after 3 quick plays through. I'm baffled as to how people think it's so great/fun.[/quote]

You're being very hypocritical, the AI in COD 5, just like 4, is dumb as a brick. COD use respawning to hold you up and increase the dificulty, charging forward stops enemies from spawning. Likewise whatever the enemy gets fixated on (usually only you) they stick to it like glue. The thing that COD games have in spades is the fact that they are heavily scripted. But the big negative to that is once you've gone through it, you've seen it all. L4D on the otherhand adjusts its difficulty on the fly and will randomly spawn enemies anywhere on the map.

Im sorry if you played with morons but you really sound like someone who gave it a quick try and then decided they've completed the game. You couldnt be any more wrong. But hey, im not going to tell you what is and isnt fun. Its your loss not mine.

I don't like zombie games at all, I've tried out most. But after playing L4D demo, I'm totally hooked on the completely unique gameplay. It is different nearly every time I play. I prefer the AI too. I think 'Directors' will be standard in 5 years. This is an instant classic. Now I understand what all the E3 fuss was about. I'm a believer.

If you guys like the L4D demo that's great. I was excited for it, but after the demo was very let down. I played with and without actual people and found it to be worse with real peeps, since everybody didn't cooperate even as well as the bots. It's not a horrible game, but I would say it's average. I've had a lot more fun with the Zombie co-op game in World at War than I did with the L4D demo.

The only way it would be "my loss" is if I had actually bought this game. Thankfully, the demo saved me some $> That' sthe great thing about these demos.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']If you guys like the L4D demo that's great. I was excited for it, but after the demo was very let down. I played with and without actual people and found it to be worse with real peeps, since everybody didn't cooperate even as well as the bots. It's not a horrible game, but I would say it's average. I've had a lot more fun with the Zombie co-op game in World at War than I did with the L4D demo.

The only way it would be "my loss" is if I had actually bought this game. Thankfully, the demo saved me some $> That' sthe great thing about these demos.[/quote]

Like i said if you got crappy players thats a horrible reason to pass a snap judgement. Most people i've had have been great. Use mics and teammwork, its a whole lot of fun.

The Zombie Co-op game in COD5 is okay, blatent and cheap ripoff of L4D but all the same not bad. Gets boring very fast though. You can only play a Co-Op game like that for so long before it becomes very monotonous. Its basically just a glorified king of the hill against bots with all traces of sandbox roaming removed.

As i said though you sound very hypocritical. Whats the point of the Zombie game in COD 5? To survive long enough before the increasing swarms kill you all off. How is that any better then how you view L4D?

And it is your loss if your snap judgements delude you into thinking you wouldnt enjoy something.

The zombie mode is an extra mode unlocked as a reward for finishing the single player mode. It's a bonus mode and darn fun at that. I'll be slightly interested to hear how the 4 on 4 competitive mode works out in L4D, but the whole thing just feels like something tacked on to a full game, minus the full game, of course. Have fun with it, but I have so many other great games to play that I can't be bothered with it at this time for full price. Maybe in the summer when it hits the bargain bins.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Couldn't disagree with you more. The Call of Duty games are very fun. World at War has so much to unlock, great single player, which can also be played 4 player co-op. Throw in the new zombie mode and the game reeks of awesomeness. I was bored with the L4D demo after 3 quick plays through. I'm baffled as to how people think it's so great/fun.[/QUOTE]

Meh.. Call of Duty games as of recent are decently fun up until you unlock everything, then it's either do it all over again thus rinsing and repeating, or completing challenges, boring, and nothing that wasn't already introduced in 2005 by Battlefield 2.

I understand though, your more into no teamwork run n' gun games, which is the complete opposite of this game, teamwork is key in this game.

Your completely wrong, Havoc. I like teamwork games and despise run and gun games like Halo. COD WaW offers a great mix of styles and the 4 player co-op campaign and 4 player zombie modes are great. L4D just seems like a dark mess. You shoot a few zombies, move to the next room, shoot a more, then all the sudden a pack of them storm you and you just pray and spray. Not a lot of teamwork going on when sprinting zombie packs of 50 are on you....just hold the trigger down and hope for the best. Maybe the full game will prove to be a lot different than the demo, but I'm not willing to wager my $$ on it right now. Hope it's everything you want it to be and more.

Amazon claims the package is in Dallas and in transit but all it says on the USPS website is that electronic info received on 11/18/2008.

If it is in Dallas there is a solid shot of it getting to my house today (11/20)

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Your completely wrong, Havoc. I like teamwork games and despise run and gun games like Halo. COD WaW offers a great mix of styles and the 4 player co-op campaign and 4 player zombie modes are great. L4D just seems like a dark mess. You shoot a few zombies, move to the next room, shoot a more, then all the sudden a pack of them storm you and you just pray and spray. Not a lot of teamwork going on when sprinting zombie packs of 50 are on you....just hold the trigger down and hope for the best. Maybe the full game will prove to be a lot different than the demo, but I'm not willing to wager my $$ on it right now. Hope it's everything you want it to be and more.[/QUOTE]

Damn, make up your mind already about it requiring teamwork or not. Of course it requires teamwork or else your pray and spray would work, which it doesn't. The reason why the AI plays better than the people you played with is because the AI rarely friendly fires. Don't play it on Normal, try advanced or expert and it's totally different.

I would say that with a good group, the expert mode in the demo isn't that hard. It took me a while just to beat advanced mode in the first *movie* with a decent group. I can't imagine how hard it'll be on Expert.

I had the same thought as you as well. Go from point A to point B and was afraid it might be repetitive. I would love it if they would put some puzzles in like RE Outbreak. But the game is challenging and that's what I like about it. If you have friends to play with, get this game! If you're a loner or hate playing with idiots, don't.

I got the game yesterday from Amazon.

Tried it out, and I have to say; best 3 hours I have had gaming in years!!!
It requires so much co-operation its not funny (but it IS). The game is insanely fun, anybody on the fence, don't hesitate (you NEED online though, no Gold Live account means boring), but it is anything but repetitive, yes all I did was shoot zombie (that was like 95% of what I did), but the fun and challenge are just excellent. Top notch quality game here.

[quote name='Viol8tor']Dammit, jumped on too late. Back up to $59.[/quote]

Same here, I spent too much time looking for the demo that I then realized they pulled. This isn't really my type of game, so I wanted to try it before I put any amount down for it. oh well, I'll just ask to borrow my co-worker's copy for a night.

I'll be getting a Gamefly copy in the mail any day now - and then hopefully I've hinted enough to my wife to get this for me for Christmas.

Got my copy today. I love how free shipping with USPS through Amazon still gets here in around 3 days. USPS actually moves the product no matter what, whereas with cheap shipping via UPS, my package sits in some city for days before it gets moved to another.

lol my package went from Delaware to Maryland to Texas, then back to Maryland. I live in California so I guess I probably won't be getting my copy til next week. You lucky bastards XD

Either the USPS has reached a new level of incompetence or their tracking site is just messed up. It's been showing it's in a town about 20 minutes from my place since Sunday (switched from Electronic Shipping Info received to Processed on Wednesday). Honestly didn't think it would take more than a day to get here. If it doesn't get here by Friday I'm gonna have another good laugh about the USPS transit speeds. I mean I'm in no rush to get the game but it's just funny how slow they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just opened this hoping this deal was still alive for the Xbox 360, but i see it isn't. Hopefully i can get it around this price if not lower soon.

I can't bring myself to spend $49 on the 360 version when I know they'll probably have a bunch of free mods for the PC version. I wish the 360 version was cheaper as I would need to get a new video card to play it on the PC.

[quote name='V878']Either the USPS has reached a new level of incompetence or their tracking site is just messed up. It's been showing it's in a town about 20 minutes from my place since Sunday (switched from Electronic Shipping Info received to Processed on Wednesday). Honestly didn't think it would take more than a day to get here. If it doesn't get here by Friday I'm gonna have another good laugh about the USPS transit speeds. I mean I'm in no rush to get the game but it's just funny how slow they are.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya, mine arrived in Memphis TN for departure 3 days ago...and departed yesterday according to the site...so who knows.

Amazon and their free shipping for games is terrible, I live in nashville, so they shipped my copy out of Maryland instead of memphis, of course it wouldn't matter, my copy of Banjo shipped out of Memphis last Thursday and I still don't have that, please keep in mind Memphis is a 3 hour drive from Nashville and it has been a week. The weird thing is that when you order bigger items they ship UPS and I usually get that stuff next day even when I opt for free. Looks like you just have to plan on waiting out new releases when ordering from Amazon, but I want to kill zombies now.

[quote name='prayformojo']Amazon and their free shipping for games is terrible[/quote]

Speak for yourself, I received the game on release day with free shipping (they shipped it out on the Saturday prior). Everything I order from Amazon arrives in 1 to 2 days with free shipping. It's actually really awesome considering I don't have Amazon Prime (and don't need with the fast shipping). So...yeah. Free shipping rocks. The tax, on the other hand, sucks terribly.

[quote name='psyanide82']Speak for yourself, I received the game on release day with free shipping (they shipped it out on the Saturday prior). Everything I order from Amazon arrives in 1 to 2 days with free shipping. It's actually really awesome considering I don't have Amazon Prime (and don't need with the fast shipping). So...yeah. Free shipping rocks. The tax, on the other hand, sucks terribly.[/quote]He an speak for me too. They didn't ship mine out until Tuesday and I still haven't received it yet - hoping today will be the day though.

Got my order today with free shipping. I wasn't expecting it till next week so I'm quite impressed with Amazon. When I ordered GTA4 in May with free shipping, it took nearly 2 weeks to get it. As a result, I haven't been getting much stuff off them of late (unless it's a great deal like this one) but this came pretty fast so I'm happy.

I chose free shipping and got mine on the 19th. I was surprised because their estimate is usually accurate for me and it said the 24th. :applause:

[quote name='V878']Either the USPS has reached a new level of incompetence or their tracking site is just messed up. It's been showing it's in a town about 20 minutes from my place since Sunday (switched from Electronic Shipping Info received to Processed on Wednesday). Honestly didn't think it would take more than a day to get here. If it doesn't get here by Friday I'm gonna have another good laugh about the USPS transit speeds. I mean I'm in no rush to get the game but it's just funny how slow they are.[/quote]

Same deal for me... received shipping info on Sunday in PA and sat in that same location until Wednesday. It was delivered today so my Friday night after the kids go to bed will consist of Zombie killin'!!!

So is this deal dead yet, I took a look at the xbox 360 version and now it's back to 59.99. Is there anything out there for it or no more deals?

[quote name='space_monkey']Same deal for me... received shipping info on Sunday in PA and sat in that same location until Wednesday. It was delivered today so my Friday night after the kids go to bed will consist of Zombie killin'!!![/QUOTE]

Similar story here as well, except I still haven't received mine yet. What the hell is wrong with USPS? They have reached a new level of incompetence by sitting on this for 2 and a half days before shipping it out. This is the first and last time I will ever purchase a launch title from amazon.

i wish they'd put the 360 demo back up.. I just opened my 360 and setup all my crap today lol
Don't know if I want to buy it without having played it.

bread's done
Back