Legally changing my name

[quote name='Shinkuu Ryao']Max Power.[/quote]

Grandpa Oh, wait a minute. The family name is my legacy to you. I got it from my father, and he got it from his father, and he traded a mule for it! And that mule went on to save Spring Break!

The Optimus Prime guardsman was the first thing I thought of too when I read this.

You should change it to Spartacus. That way, when someone asks your name you can say "I am Spartacus!" Eh? How 'bout it?

Honestly, most name changes seem to fall into 1 of 2 catagories:

Legitimate: This usually has a family reason to change (ex want your father's last name or going back into your heritage), or you are in some form of witness protection.

Jackass: You are trying to be funny (like the guy who changed his name to They, so he can say, "they did it"

Honestly, it seems like your reason falls closer to catagory 2. If you don't like your name enough, give yourself a nickname. That's easy, but your name is really representing who you are. Not worth changing just because it isn't the name that you would have chosen.

[quote name='lordxixor101']Honestly, most name changes seem to fall into 1 of 2 catagories:

Legitimate: This usually has a family reason to change (ex want your father's last name or going back into your heritage), or you are in some form of witness protection.

Jackass: You are trying to be funny (like the guy who changed his name to They, so he can say, "they did it"

Honestly, it seems like your reason falls closer to catagory 2. If you don't like your name enough, give yourself a nickname. That's easy, but your name is really representing who you are. Not worth changing just because it isn't the name that you would have chosen.[/quote]

It costs $250

All the OP needs to figure out is whether it's worth $250

[quote name='whoknows']"Max Power
Its a name you'd love to touch, but you musnt touch
His name sounds good in your ear
But when you say it you musn't fear
For his name can be said by anyone"[/QUOTE]

Max Power doesn't abbreviate. Each letter is as important as the one that preceded it. Maybe more important! No, as important.

It would be good if you could change your name, but there was a 1 in 10 chance it would be changed to something hideously insulting. Like, you'd have to spin a wheel with insults on it to randomize it.

Many specifics of name changes depend on the state in which you live. In California, for example, you can change your name simply by using a new name. This is legal and is called changing your name "by use". And that's all you have to do -- no forms or court appearances.

The difference between this and going to court is that changing your name obligates, but does not require, others to recognize the name change. If you go to court and get the official document, no one can question your change of name, even if it's something like Optimus Prime.

Also, certain documents (like your passport) require a court document if you want it completely changed -- a passport will allow you to put an AKA on it, but your old name would be there too. Others, like driver's licenses or credit cards, depend on the issuer.

Nolo produces a guide for changing your name, and produces a specific guide for California. Well worth the cost if you're thinking about changing your name.

[quote name='blueweltall']I remember that you have to get a background check, finger prints, and you also have to go to court, to see if the judge will allow it. [/quote]

You do have to go to court. You don't need to get a background check or fingerprints, at least not in every state. You don't in California. At least you didn't.

The court appearance is a formality. Unless you're changing your name to something bizarre, the judge pretty much automatically approves it, though you do need to be there. The judge may ask you why you want to change your name, which should already be on the form. Attempted fraud or deception is usually the only reason name changes get rejected.

Once thats done you also have to pay for a listing fee in a newspaper. Saying that your John Doe and is now known as Jane Doe or something like that.

There's a standardized spiel that you have to put in the classified section of a newspaper for 4 weeks. If you have a community newspaper, this can be quick, painless, and cheap.

It also cost about $250 total for all the paperworks. About a six months process.

It does take about six months, less if you are ambitious, but certain things like the month of publication and the court date are out of your hands. Cost varies by state. You have to pay to file the forms, and you also need to pay for copies of the final decree with the government stamp on them -- after your name change, there are certain things that require offical copies (not photocopies) of the decree, such as a new/renewed passport and certain financial dealings. Other places will accept photocopies or will return the official documents, but you can't count on it. I've gone through about 5 of these.

Credit card companies, businesses, heck -- even the IRS are easy in comparison. It's a phone call or less. But there are a lot of things that need changing. For example: credit cards, driver's license, social security card, bank accounts, legal documents, college/high school transcripts, medical identification cards, vehicle registrations, insurance, etc.

It's not something to undertake for the heck of it, or if you're unsure you'll like it five years from now. But, all things considered, it's not terribly hard or time consuming, either.

[quote name='blandstalker']
I've gone through about 5 of these[/QUOTE]

Witness protection program? Are you Sammy "the Bull" Gravano?

I've decided to forget the whole thing and stick to my name. People are always like "That's a nice name" anyways. Max power would be even better tho, but what are ya gonna do about it. Also after looking at the price range, I decided to buy myself some new sunglasses instead of going trough the pain in the ass process of changing my name.

Oh, and blandstalker, thanks for the info.http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/member.php?u=28503

[quote name='cheapfrag']Witness protection program? Are you Sammy "the Bull" Gravano?[/quote]

Remember, you were born in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Your parents were Herb and Judy Nahasapeemapetilon.

[quote name='Theduck']I've decided to forget the whole thing and stick to my name. People are always like "That's a nice name" anyways. Max power would be even better tho, but what are ya gonna do about it. Also after looking at the price range, I decided to buy myself some new sunglasses instead of going trough the pain in the ass process of changing my name.

Oh, and blandstalker, thanks for the info.http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/member.php?u=28503[/QUOTE]

Well... that's kind of a let down.

[quote name='Shinkuu Ryao']Max Power.[/quote]
Marge: But this will be so confusing! The mailman won't know what
to do. Did you think of the mailman at all before you did
this?
Homer: Yes, briefly.
Marge: And what about the tattoo on my you-know-what?
Homer: Oh, Honey, they have acids that can burn that off.
Marge: But I fell in love with Homer Simpson! I don't want to
snuggle with "Max Power"!
Homer: Nobody snuggles with Max Power. You strap yourself in and
feel the "G"s!
Marge: Oh, Lord.
Homer: And it doesn't stop in the bedroom. Oh, no. I'm taking
charge! Kids, there's three ways to do things. The right
way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!
Bart: Isn't that the wrong way?
Homer: Yeah, but faster!
[turning and walks face-first into a giant cactus]
Lisa: We should really put that in the corner.

:rofl:

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']Marge: But this will be so confusing! The mailman won't know what
to do. Did you think of the mailman at all before you did
this?
Homer: Yes, briefly.
Marge: And what about the tattoo on my you-know-what?
Homer: Oh, Honey, they have acids that can burn that off.
Marge: But I fell in love with Homer Simpson! I don't want to
snuggle with "Max Power"!
Homer: Nobody snuggles with Max Power. You strap yourself in and
feel the "G"s!
Marge: Oh, Lord.
Homer: And it doesn't stop in the bedroom. Oh, no. I'm taking
charge! Kids, there's three ways to do things. The right
way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!
Bart: Isn't that the wrong way?
Homer: Yeah, but faster!
[turning and walks face-first into a giant cactus]
Lisa: We should really put that in the corner.

:rofl:[/quote]

The Simpsons are so awesome.

I've always wanted to change my name to
Ferrari power pennyroll the 3rd
No I don't just made that up. OP you real name seems fine to me.

[quote name='cheapfrag']Witness protection program? Are you Sammy "the Bull" Gravano?[/quote]

Oh great. You found me out. Now it's gonna have to be six.

No, I've gone through about five documents, not name changes.

The "Decree Changing Name" is the document I got at the end of the process and proves that my name is legally changed. It has a little red stamp that courthouse clerk puts on, and costs $6 per copy.

I can copy this form myself, but photocopies are not always sufficient. For example, when I got my Social Security card reissued in my new name, I had to fill out a form and submit it, along with my old card and an official red-stamped copy of the Decree. I got my new card, but did not get the Decree back.

[quote name='Strell']Change it to Cats, and walk around all day saying HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN !!

Somehow, you will have to verbally emote the exclamation marks, as well as the space between them and the word gentlemen.[/QUOTE]

that's not even remotely funny... at all.

I think you should change your name to Tyler Durden. Most of the time when I got out somewhere and buy something with debit or credit, I sign it Tyler Durden and ofcourse noone says a word.

[quote name='Theduck']I brought this up to one of my friends and he then wanted to be Thor, which caused me to burst out laughing. Good times at work... Discuss![/quote]
No lie: A woman who used to work in my office just had a baby boy a few weeks ago, and they named him Thor. I feel for the kid.

I knew a guy named Thor. It actually worked because he's a tall, built blonde guy. his parents got lucky I suppose ;)

Boss: %, did you finish that paperwork I left for you!?
%: I will now ignore you because you're saying my name incorrectly.

Thor is a badass name, but not for any mere human child. Also, Thor wouldn't work for me because I'm the skinniest kid with black hair. I don't think I could even carry my hammer around or drink alot of beer like the mighty thor does without throwing up constantly.

bread's done
Back