Legend of Zelda Series Playthrough in Celebration of Skyward Sword

RchrdJ

CAGiversary!
wallpaperzelda_2.jpg

As all of you Nintendo fans know, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword was the first game revealed at Nintendo's E3 2010 press conference. To celebrate the announcement of a new Zelda game, I am going to marathon play (over the course of a few weeks) through every Legend of Zelda game. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to play every Zelda game, and of the ones I've played, many I haven't been able to complete. However, I would love to finally play through them all.

While I go on my journey through the years of Zelda, I would love it if some CAGs would join me. If you were to join me through any, or all games, just comment below and we can discuss the games while we play.

If you are interested, just comment here and begin playing the original Legend of Zelda on the NES. We'll go through each Zelda game in order of release, but we may have to decide if certain Zelda games are worth our time (I'm looking at you Zelda CD-i games).

Hope to see some CAGs join me on my multiple journeys through Hyrule :)

I was supposed to write this yesterday, but I forgot. So here it is today!

On the first day of my journey, I made some pretty good progress. I began with The Legend of Zelda on the NES. I am currently on my way to the 5th dungeon and I have collected all of the heart containers that I possibly can (I'm at 12 hearts). I also got the white sword and the magic shield, along with the blue ring.

I hope to finish up the game either today or tomorrow, and then move onto Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

Interesting thread, nice idea.

I hope Skyward Sword is a refreshing experience, similar to how Wind Waker was refreshing.

You know, I have never really played Link's Awakening and I have both the black and white and the DX color version. I'll join ya on the Color version lol :D (either is fine, same game lol)

You know what would be a great idea? If you Livestreamed the marathon with commentary (or not). It'd be an interesting time.

Unfortunately, I barely got to play Zelda today. I only made it through one dungeon, but I also found the power bracelet and the magic sword. I hope to do better tomorrow and maybe even finish it off. I have exams all week, but starting Friday I will be able to kick my Zelda time into high gear.

If you haven't ever played through Adventure of Link, prepare for a raping towards the end. The walk to the final dungeon will take years off your life.

I already finished Link to the Past after returning from E3. I once played through it 3 times in 1 weekend. Of course, I was a kid with nothing better to do. But it still sounds like a fun time even now.

I played Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess last summer. If I didn't have such a big backlog, I wouldn't mind trying to finish the rest. But I can't get into LoZ despite several attempts, Zelda II isn't worth the trouble, and I don't have the patience to hunt for Triforce pieces in Wind Waker (I've beat it twice, both times I took several months off when I got to the triforce hunt).

I've only beaten from wind waker forward (wind waker, minish cap, twilight princess, phantom hourglass). I haven't gotten spirit tracks, but I've played the others (besides the GB ones). I don't think I'll ever play through the NES ones, but I'd like to finish link to the past and ocarina of time some day at least (maybe majora's mask).

Sadly, no progress at all today :( Damn exams! However, Friday is getting closer-and-closer. Starting Friday, I'll be able to kick my Zelda playing up to multiple hours per day. So close, yet so far...

Update is a day late again, sorry ;)

Anyway, I beat the second last dungeon and I'm on my way to the last. Tomorrow (which I'll update later tonight) I should be done with the game. I actually have some more free time as I'm doing exams now that aren't quite as difficult. Friday is getting closer! :bouncy:

LTTP (late to the party, not....Link to the...nevermind), but I'm actually in process of doing this as well. Finished the NES Zeldas last week and am currently on the third dungeon of the Dark World in LTTP.

It's weird the things I remember versus the things I don't. You walked on the ocean in Zelda 2? How in the hell did I forget that?

Finally beat The Legend of Zelda. It was a really great game, although a little simplistic compared to the others (but what can you expect from the first game in the series and on such limiting hardware?) One thing I really didn't like was how difficult it was to find everything and the convoluted messages that most of the time don't even make sense (whether that's intentional or some translation mistakes).

Now I'm onto Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. I'm not too excited for this one as it isn't like the other Zelda's, but it must be completed!

Also, I'm just going to change this into a blog. I thought it might be better here in the forums, as to not fill up the blogs, but what the hell, I'll do it anyway :D.

Despite everyone's hatred for Zelda II it's an amazing game. Play it. Have fun. Downward thrust = amazing Upward is nice too. Make sure you jump attack those knights. That is all.

I am playing through Link's Awakening right now for what seems like the billionth time. It's probably my favorite of all the top down Zeldas (or maybe A Link to the Past depending on my mood). It is so freaking great and I wish the newer games would take a page out of its playbook. I love how you can't just go directly from one dungeon to the next - you need to find the keys to open them and sometimes to find the keys you need to complete other tasks. All of this makes the overworld exploration not only necessary but more rewarding.

EDIT: Zelda II is awesome. In 1988 it was hard as balls to beat with no internet. Don't spoil it.

Currently playing through Majora's Mask (nearly finished..started before E3) and Twilight Princess (just finished first dungeon).

But yeah, I think I Will go back and play some of the older ones..

Finished up LTTP tonight.

fucking Ganon up feels so good every time I do it. I also forgot just how damn annoying his tower is, with all the ice floors and conveyor belts and spikes. As good as most of the dungeons are (which, for the record, are WAY shorter than I remember them being), the last one is on overdrive. Managed to only die three times throughout the game and got 19 hearts. Feels good man, especially getting all the extra equipment despite not remembering everything.

I think Zelda 2 is underrated, for the record. I full consider it "bigger" than Zelda 1, fully creating a sense that you are - indeed! - taking Link on a grand adventure. I always felt that made the world of Hyrule much more real and vibrant overall, while giving a wholly new gameplay experience. I actually LIKE that the dungeons are called palaces - for some reason, this tiny change makes them feel much more grand and ancient, like they've always existed. "Dungeon" for me connote the idea that, say, someone stuck a bunch of monsters near an item to protect it. Palace entails something being built for the express purpose of housing something.

Also, it's weird how when I played LTTP this time, I noticed a huge amount of throwbacks to the NES games. I mean I remember playing back in the day and noticing this too, but being that it was so fresh this time around, there's a LOT more "oh hey look" moments.

Anyway, will probably start OoT tomorrow. Can't wait.

I'm playing through Ocarina of Time right now through the Virtual Console. If I beat any other Zelda game, it'll be Majora's Mask, but I'm not making any commitments beyond that.

I just beat the Forest Temple
the real hardest dungeon in the game
. I think it's bad that I'm playing with a Classic Controller Pro though. The thing was not designed with Nintendo 64 games in mind.

I played through both Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages this month.

Seasons was definitely more fun than Ages. Some of the Ages side quests made absolutly no sense. Also, the Ages overworld had too much water.

I loved Zelda II, its my favorite one of them all! Then again, I have a tendency to like the black sheep's in the series (Another example being Ys III).

I will probably marathon play the console zeldas... (excluding cdi) couple months before launch of this game.

i havent played zelda 2, majoras, and tp all the way through... so its time to slay the backlog beast.

[quote name='M-PG71C']I loved Zelda II, its my favorite one of them all! Then again, I have a tendency to like the black sheep's in the series (Another example being Ys III).[/QUOTE]

I don't know if Adventure of Link is my favorite but it might be the one I respect the most due to its presentation.

The other Zelda games can be difficult because of tricky puzzles or hidden items. That difficulty can be almost entirely mitigated by using FAQs or just by playing through it with another person. With Zelda 2, you can know exactly what you have to do but actually pulling it off remains a challenge.

MM is still my top Zelda title to date, followed closely by Windwaker. Maybe its because it was my first Zelda, or the fact that its a much darker tone, but I could go back and play it through again just for the nostalgia factor.

I can understand why people don't enjoy it as much as the other titles though.

I have a little ways to go with Zelda:

Zelda - Finished

Zelda II - Finished

Zelda Link's Awakening - Finished

Zelda Link To The Past - Finished

Zelda Oracle Of Ages - Started probably around the 6th dungeon
I agree with Morrigan Lover side quests make no sense...might have a hard time finishing this but I kind of owe it to myself at this point being so far in.

Zelda Oracle Of Seasons - Never played

Zelda Ocarina Of Time - Started pretty far in, need to finish, started playing this on the Gamecube Compilation disc with Master Quest for the first time.

Zelda Majora's Mask - Started playing on an emulator a long time ago...liked what I played but I figured I owed it to myself to play it legit. I'll probably play this on the VC when I do.

Zelda Wind Waker - Probably about halfway through, not sure why I haven't finished this...love the art style.

Zelda Twilight Princess - Finished

Zelda Phantom Hourglass - Waiting to Finish Wind Waker to start

Zelda Spirit Tracks - Waiting to Finish Wind Waker to start

Zelda Minish Cap - Finished

EDIT: I guess 6 out of 13 isn't too bad.

I really wish I would have caught this sooner. My wife hasn't played any of the Zelda games other than the original. We might make this a family thing as she seemed to enjoy Twilight Princess. LTTP is the next game we will probably start.

I would consider doing this if it wasnt for Adventure of Link... god I hate that game. I did beat it though. Lets do my Zelda completion list...
Legend of Zelda: Beat several times
Adventure of Link: Beat once, will never play again
Link to the Past: Beat a couple times, I dont think I've ever 100% all items though
Link's Awakening: Beat MANY times, I think this is the reason my original Game Boy was in such bad shape.
Oracle of Ages: Beat once, did not get everything.
Oracle of Seasons: Never played :(
Ocarina of Time: Beat MANY times, did everything possible in that game.
Majora's Mask: I think I beat it twice, cant remember if I got everything though. I did get all masks though. Oni Link FTW!
Minish Cap: Beat once, never got the last fusion though
Wind Waker: Beat once, I dont remember if I 100% it though.
Twilight Princess: Beat once, didnt get the last few Poes, might play it again soon.
Phantom Hourglass: Beat once, still have some items to find, dunno if I care though.
Spirit Tracks: Played for about 20 minutes, shut off DS and cried in the corner. A TRAIN!? IN ZELDA?! ARE YOU F***ING SERIOUS?!?!

I never played the two CDI games, in fact I've never even seen them for sale outside of eBay. But they look alot like Zelda II, which makes me not want to play them anyhow. Did I miss any of them?

^ gotta agree that the train was a regression from Phantom Hourglass/ Wind Waker. Still an enjoyable game though, give it another shot (riding around on that damn train the whole time is a bitch though).

All these posts from fellow CAGs got me thinking; let's do my Zelda completion list...

Legend of Zelda: I beat it :cool:

Adventure of Link: Could not get passed the second to last palace :cry:

Link to the Past: Beat a couple times :cool:

Link's Awakening: I beat this game soooo many times.

Oracle of Ages: Haven't played it.

Oracle of Seasons: Haven't played it.

Ocarina of Time: Beat this game several times; it was an obsession.

Majora's Mask: See above, Oni Link is awesome.

Minish Cap: Haven't played it yet.

Wind Waker: Beat the 1st dungeon and could not get into it from there.

Twilight Princess: Played for about 30 minutes but never got back to it.

Phantom Hourglass: I'm somewhere in that tower/dungeon, about four floors down or something.

Spirit Tracks: Haven't played yet.

bread's done
Back