LEGO Deals 3

[quote name='ackbar7']Wasn't there a guy who was busted for this? Some big time reseller who got caught with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stuff that he had been covering up UPCs with lesser LEGOs. Saw it on the news a few months back, pathetic really. I think he was a millionaire software executive or something.[/QUOTE]

There have been multiple shitbags who have done (and do) this. One was the SAP software exec you mentioned, and another was some bigshot on one of the Lego websites, bricklink I think.

It was the grey pieces that made me take notice. Particularly the plates and the 1x1 round pieces felt not quite right to me. Nova's helmet didn't feel or look quite right to me either, but it's a unique piece so I chalked it up to that.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Yeah I started cutting back on Lego because the bricks are becoming thin shit. But it all seems to depend on the brick shape then anything else. I noticed while building a yellow truck that the 1x4 and 1x6 yellow bricks almost looked thinner to the other yellow bricks, like they didn't add enough dye, even even plastic because the "LEGO" on the studs didn't really show.

That set is awesome, the crack house has 200 lesspieces and is $50, yet a license set cost $50, almost 500 pieces and 5 minifigures, one of the best sets of the year.

Now, what pieces felt off? Some of the minifigure parts might be made in China, but the whole set shouldn't feel off. None of the bricks for sets are made at the same time. There should be certain pieces that feel off.[/QUOTE]

So I was building the Transam 20000 from Reline last night and I ran out of yellow bricks and plates :<

Its so disappointing to have that happen. Would it really be considered a MOC or whatever you call it if you use the instructions of a set (In this case the new white car Creator set) as a reference with several mods to it? I am basically taking the instructions and making them longer to accommodate for the reference's long body and it definitely won't look anything like the white one.

Stopped at Walmart yesterday, here's what I picked up:

Found a bunch of LOTR stuff on sale at Walmart #1
Mines of Moria - $54 (I think there were 3 or 4 left)
Weathertop - $40 (another 3 or 4 left)

Then the usual clearance stuff:
Series 8 Evil Robot & Diver $1/each
Tie Fighter polybag - $1.50
MTT polybag - $1.50

Passed on the Quinjet for $67.xx

Thinking I'll go check out Walmart #2 after the Texans/Patriots game is over.

Go to Walmart during the game. It's either going to be close and only the 4th quarter matters, or it will be a blow out and you won't miss anything. :)

As a Giants fan and someone who is sick of Boston Sports crazy asshole fans , go Texans.

Of course I was hoping for the Seahawks to win because the quarterback is hot... so big sports fan here! :lol:

Anybody have recommendations for 3rd party weapons besides Brickarms through Brickmania or BrickWarriors? I'm mostly interested in modern weaponry for Superheroes and Agents, and classic weaponry for Castle and LOTR/Hobbit.

[quote name='Unaki']So I was building the Transam 20000 from Reline last night and I ran out of yellow bricks and plates :<

Its so disappointing to have that happen. Would it really be considered a MOC or whatever you call it if you use the instructions of a set (In this case the new white car Creator set) as a reference with several mods to it? I am basically taking the instructions and making them longer to accommodate for the reference's long body and it definitely won't look anything like the white one.[/QUOTE]

I think a MOC is whatever you want it to be. I've seen people get upset over "stealing" techniques or because they used Mega Bloks parts and I think that is silly. Unless you're entering a contest that requires a completely original design, I see no problems starting out with a base.

[quote name='encendido5']I think a MOC is whatever you want it to be. I've seen people get upset over "stealing" techniques or because they used Mega Bloks parts and I think that is silly. Unless you're entering a contest that requires a completely original design, I see no problems starting out with a base.[/QUOTE]

Yeah when I was building the first set that I bought of 31006 I looked at it and though "Hey this base is perfect." Ran outta yellow bricks and now I have a major case of the sad.

I built the new A-Wing last night. I know the set had a $5 upcharge, but I love it. I absolutely love this set.

It's a little bigger than I thought it would be, and the new A-Wing pilot mini-fig and the new helmet for him are awesome.

Regarding the quality of bricks, I didn't notice anything that was way off. The pieces don't sit quite as flush as I remember, but the colors are rather consistent. The stickers actually seem to be a higher quality than usual.

Probably building the Black Pearl in a little bit. Starting my Super Star Destroyer tomorrow.

I got 3 good to great deals over the last week. All were at Walmarts west of Atlanta

4206 Recycling Truck - $14.50 (been hunting this ever since before Christmas)
4209 Fire Plane - $39.00
4434 Tipper Truck - $9.00 - Though between the harbor tipper and the mine tipper, didn't really need it

[quote name='skiizim']Is the A-Wing any different than the one in the Home One set?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. It looks bigger, and I think the underneath might be closer to the actual ship. I've never been fond of the flick fire missiles, but at least they look like the actual laser cannons on the ship. That little indentation in the middle of the front of the ship is actually part of the design now, as opposed to just part of a sticker.

Really the stickers and price are the biggest drawbacks. The mini-figs have really good detail printed on them too.

Even so, I love the A-Wing. If Lego ever makes a UCS version of it I'd buy it right away (as long it's not a $30 upcharge like the UCS Jedi Starfighter).

[quote name='bigdaddy']Of course I was hoping for the Seahawks to win because the quarterback is hot... so big sports fan here! :lol:[/QUOTE]

Your username just took on a whole new meaning...

I average 185 pounds and I'm 5 foot 11. I'm bigger than the so hot Seahawks quarterback. :p. So I'm neither a big daddy, nor am I into big daddies. That's how I got the nickname befor the video game character. I hate children, and I was thin at the time and like twinks. So of course I'm the big daddy! :)

Amazing how sexual preferences come up every couple months ... in a LEGO thread

=-p Two girls on a jetski or burly QB edition ... now the choice is yours

I find it stranger that we are tangentially talking about football in our thread here, as opposed to the gay talk. Gay talk is a semi regular part of our conversation thanks to a certain regular to our thread.
And I was hoping the 'Hawks would win, but that has more to do with having lived in Seattle for 8 years instead of the attractiveness of any of the players. Now if only we could get some girl on girl jetski action for the Super Bowl halftime show.

So Toys R Us is running a $25 off a Lego purchase of $100 or more this week. Since practically everything is way above MSRP, it doesn't do a whole lot. However, Galaxy Squad sets are fortunately all MSRP at Toys R Us.

I picked up:

70704 - Vermin Vaporizer - $60
70702 - Warp Stinger - $30
70700 - Space Swarmer - $12

$102 - $25 + tax = about $84.

Thinking I may also try for:

70705 - Bug Obliterator - $80
70701 - Swarm Interceptor - $20

It'd be a few cents shy of $100, but usually the Toys R Us computers still give you the discount if you're only a few cents short, at least that's what I recall from prior, similar promotions. If not, a bagged minifig would put me over the top.

I'm still trying to decide how much I like the Galaxy Squad theme. Alien Conquest was a cool idea, but didn't do a lot for me. I bought a few of the Space Police sets from '09/'10, and they were good. In retrospect, I probably should have collected more of those. Regardless, Galaxy Squad seems pretty cool, especially the Vermin Vaporizer set. I'll probably build that one first and gauge my interest in the whole line based on it.

I was rooting for Seattle simply because I felt Wilson should have been a first round pick, and I had that opinion well before the draft.

Didn't get a chance to start the SSD today, or build the Black Pearl last night.

I went two a walmart in no where land. There was about 15 sets on clearance with the red tags and everything. Only two sets on sale. About 12-15 of each. They were SB Glove World for $13 and a tank looking NinjaGo $80 set for $54.

I picked up a Malevolence for $50 today, I was stoked to say the least! They also had a vampire castle for $90 and Goblin King attack for $70. This was the only odd clearance I've seen at stores, most of them are the same excluding certain sets.

[quote name='skiizim']I picked up a Malevolence for $50 today, I was stoked to say the least! They also had a vampire castle for $90 and Goblin King attack for $70. This was the only odd clearance I've seen at stores, most of them are the same excluding certain sets.[/QUOTE]

Runs out of the shadows and tackles skiizim, pinning him down and yelling in the Christian Bale Batman voice "Where is the Malevolence!?"

[quote name='Unaki']Runs out of the shadows and tackles skiizim, pinning him down and yelling in the Christian Bale Batman voice "Where is the Malevolence!?"[/QUOTE]

Oh that sounds kinky. Much more fun than girl on girl jet skiing. :lol:

[quote name='skiizim']lol.... I bet this is why you like this Lego thread better than the other sites, we accept you. =P[/QUOTE]

It's more we all like Legos but we don't think of LEGO as a company is a god that can do no wrong.

Plus we have a sense of humour here. :lol:

I built the Glove World, the set is horrible. Thankfully I pretty much only bought it for the four funny minifigures. The ride is pretty OK, but it's more a $15 set than $20. If I'm back in the area and it's $5 I'll buy a few more. :)

This is the NinjaGo set I saw for $54...
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=9449-1

This set had about 50 copies of it and all marked $19.97, and all ringing up $24.97. I feel bad for the cashiers.

http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=9447-1

And if anyone sees this set on sale it's the only NinjaGo set I really like.
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=9455-1

Cause of this page I stumbled onto, I manage to get out my old Star Wars Legos and build them along with my nephews which it was alot fun.

Then he bought over a KRE-O Battleship building set, its okay, lots of big pieces. But would like to ask the opinion on this forum, how is KRE-O building sets as a whole?

Please leave the "I wouldn't be caught dead with KRE-O" out, just looking for some honest answers.

And when is the best time to buy Legos? Went out to Walmart and noticed that Jabba's Palace was around $50, and some of the LOTRs Legos are being clearanced out. I was really close to buy the Mines of Moria cause that my one of my favorite part of the trilogy.

[quote name='EnronLackey']
And when is the best time to buy Legos? Went out to Walmart and noticed that Jabba's Palace was around $50, and some of the LOTRs Legos are being clearanced out. I was really close to buy the Mines of Moria cause that my one of my favorite part of the trilogy.[/QUOTE]

Now is the best time to buy, Jabba's Palace for $50 is a steal. Go back and buy it. :lol:

I'm wondering about Kre-o too because they have the Enterprise and I always wanted Star Trek LEGO.

My Walmart today had Jabba's Palace and the Malevolence by their clearance area but still scanning full price, hoping they get marked down cheap soon. As far as Kre-O sets, all of mine are Transformers Kreos and they arent bad. They are similar to mega blocks as they fit fine just not as well as a lego set. The kreon minifigures for the Transformer line are really cool and they are even coming out with little minifig combiners soon.

I built the Chima Razcal's Glider yesterday. I'm not sure how I like it. It looks ok, but some of the pieces are so flimsy. It doesn't feel 100% like a Lego set. The "beak" is a really soft plastic, if not rubber.

Also, not a fan of the minifigure wings. I don't see why they couldn't have made the armor piece with the wings 2 less pieces to make the wings more flush to the back. They way they made it makes it easier to lose a wing.

And the beak of the minifigure on mine was silver, not gold, like the box pictured. I know it's a little nitpicking, but I think the silver beak looks pretty weird.

[quote name='EnronLackey']
Then he bought over a KRE-O Battleship building set, its okay, lots of big pieces. But would like to ask the opinion on this forum, how is KRE-O building sets as a whole?
[/QUOTE]

I bought a few of the Transformers KRE-O sets when they were on clearance at K-Mart a while back. I got them really cheap (i.e. Starscream for $9), and at that price, I felt that they were well worth it. It's a decent imitation of Lego. That being said, I'm not buying any unless they're deeply discounted. I'd buy practically anything Lego for half off, but I definitely wouldn't say the same for KRE-O.

Stopped at Wal-Mart on my way to work. They had a bunch of sets moved to the clearance area that should be on clearance (Star Wars MF, Avengers Quinjet, etc.), but were still ringing up at full price. I'm gonna have to keep on top of that to watch for when they inevitably mark them down.

I did randomly discover a bagged TIE Fighter for $1.50 and 3 Series 5 minifigs for $1 each (got the Detective, Lumberjack, and Graduate), so it wasn't a total loss.

If anyone is still interested in Diagon Alley my store (Rockefeller Center) received a bunch last week. We still have plenty left. I think I read a member here bought one off an eBay seller for $200+shipping. Check around first before you decide to hit up eBay.

Heh, you are not kidding. I bought the Glove World set entirely to amuse myself by sticking that Patrick in my town with an ax. Are those ice cream stains? That's what he would like you believe... come closer.

[quote name='bigdaddy']It's more we all like Legos but we don't think of LEGO as a company is a god that can do no wrong.

Plus we have a sense of humour here. :lol:

I built the Glove World, the set is horrible. Thankfully I pretty much only bought it for the four funny minifigures. The ride is pretty OK, but it's more a $15 set than $20. If I'm back in the area and it's $5 I'll buy a few more. :)

This is the NinjaGo set I saw for $54...
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=9449-1

This set had about 50 copies of it and all marked $19.97, and all ringing up $24.97. I feel bad for the cashiers.

http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=9447-1

And if anyone sees this set on sale it's the only NinjaGo set I really like.
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=9455-1[/QUOTE]

I'm not a big fan of the KRE-O stuff, except for the minifig equivalents. As a Transformers fan those are pretty cool. I'm still waiting to get the Optimus Prime cheap enough that I can justify keeping the figures and tossing the rest.

[quote name='EnronLackey']Cause of this page I stumbled onto, I manage to get out my old Star Wars Legos and build them along with my nephews which it was alot fun.

Please leave the "I wouldn't be caught dead with KRE-O" out, just looking for some honest answers.

And when is the best time to buy Legos? Went out to Walmart and noticed that Jabba's Palace was around $50, and some of the LOTRs Legos are being clearanced out. I was really close to buy the Mines of Moria cause that my one of my favorite part of the trilogy.[/QUOTE]

I've recentlye gotten back into legos largely due to the Marvel Super Heroes line and bought my first set; the Spider-Man/Venom, in over a decade. I would really like to continue collecting the Marvel Super Heroes line, but have a couple questions.

I see people are finding the Quinjet on clearance. Does that mean that Lego is about to retire the Avenger sets? Also how much is it on clearance. Really had little interest in that particular set, but it is the only way to get Black Widow so for the right price I would consider. In addition does that mean I should expect to find other Avengers sets on clearance?

Also I think it was asked earlier; but never fully answered, what kind of deals should I be aware of? Like are there any big yearly lego sales I should wait for; like Buy One Get One Half Off or popular coupons that pop up regularly?

Being a CAG I obviously prefer to wait for the good deals.

If you are in the NW Fred Meyer currently has b2g1 on Star Wars, Super Heroes and City, plus an additional 10% off. If you get 3 similarly priced sets it works out to 40% off. It is hard to get a lot better than that except for the clearances at Target at Walmart which are currently happening.
But right now is the time to get out and shop around, most places that carry toys are clearancing out some stuff. For any individual set it is pretty YMMV, but there has been a fairly decent amount of stuff out there. Like finding the Friends Pet Salon for $12 at Fred Meyer yesterday. Also had some of the SW planets with the mini builds for about $4.25. Most (possibly all) of the Kreo sets (both Battleship and Transformers) were at the same ~55% discount.

[quote name='Believeland']

1. I see people are finding the Quinjet on clearance. Does that mean that Lego is about to retire the Avenger sets? Also how much is it on clearance. Really had little interest in that particular set, but it is the only way to get Black Widow so for the right price I would consider.

2. In addition does that mean I should expect to find other Avengers sets on clearance?

3. Also I think it was asked earlier; but never fully answered, what kind of deals should I be aware of? Like are there any big yearly lego sales I should wait for; like Buy One Get One Half Off or popular coupons that pop up regularly?
.[/QUOTE]

1. At my Walmart it was on clearance, but for 0% off. Probably will be 30% off soon, some have them for 30%, some for 50%, and some 0%. Yes it probably means the older Super Hero sets are gone. Sets in recent years have only been around 6-12 months before getting retired, except a few.

2. Nope, bigger sets go first, a lot of smaller sets have been gone for awhile. I still need to get the XMen helicopter. I don't think anyone has reported other SH sets on clearance, but stop buy and someone will post of they do.

3. Deals come and go. LegoShop.com used to have a Black Friday and after Christmas sale, but they suck now. Walmart and Target have clearance now and a much smaller one in the summer. Yoyo.com has 30% one item if you never shopped their before. It's owned by Amazon. TRU has a buy two get one free in September every year, and sometimes around Easter and the first week of December and a few other times have a buy one get one 50% off, but their prices are 50% higher than normal anyways.

Jeeze, Target is seriously going the way of Toys R Us with their Lego premium markup. That new fire helicopter, 60010, is priced $40.00 at some of the stores! And only 232 pieces!

[quote name='BingoBrown']FYI, that's MSRP per Lego.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Fire-Helicopter-60010[/QUOTE]

:lol:

I was just about to say that.

The big Lego sellers are City and Star Wars so Lego seems to think they can charge Star Wars prices on City sets. I was a big fan of City, I even like that helicopter, it's different, but it's clearly a $30 set. When I can get license sets with more minifigures and more pieces for cheaper that City sets there are some serious issues.

I hope everyone complains on the next LEGO Survey that Brickset normally posts a link to. I understand prices have to go up, more so when you have to pay for the license, but it's out of hand.

The new Fire helicopter 232 pieces, two mini figures and $40 price tag.
Wolverine's Chopper Showdown 199 pieces, three exclusive license mini figures and $20. Half the price for an extra minifigure and 33 less pieces.

It's red, I have firemen, I can just pretend it's a fire helicopter.

I feel bad for not staying on top of my lego deals.

EDIT: Where's a good place to get Hobbit/LotR sets now? I mainly want to get Unexpected Gathers, Warg Attack, Moria, and almost anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RelentlessRolento']
EDIT: Where's a good place to get Hobbit/LotR sets now? I mainly want to get Unexpected Gathers, Warg Attack, Moria, and almost anything else.[/QUOTE]

If you can find a Wal-Mart with them in stock, Mines of Moria should be $54, and Shelob Attacks should be $13. I think Attack on Weathertop should be $40 as well.

The Orc Forge is a Target exclusive. Some Targets have it on clearance, some don't. Uruk-Hai Army is also on clearance at some Targets for about $21.

You can get Helm's Deep at Toys R Us right now for $115 + tax, due to the $25 off $100 Lego purchases.

I don't think anyone has seen Gandalf Arrives on clearance anywhere, but I could be wrong.

Regarding The Hobbit sets, there really aren't great deals out there yet, not that I know of at least. Give it time, though, those sets were just recently released.

[quote name='BingoBrown']I don't think anyone has seen Gandalf Arrives on clearance anywhere, but I could be wrong.

Regarding The Hobbit sets, there really aren't great deals out there yet, not that I know of at least. Give it time, though, those sets were just recently released.[/QUOTE]

I saw Gandalf Arrives on clearance at Walmart for $9 (I think) but all the boxes were smashed to bits. I should have asked a manager how low they would go on it and tried for a few bucks.

The Hobbit sets were on sale at Kmart a few weeks ago but not anymore and I saw a pic of a clearance tag at Walmart for Unexpected Gathering for $40 but that is super YMMV.

[quote name='karkyco']Jeeze, Target is seriously going the way of Toys R Us with their Lego premium markup.[/QUOTE]

The fire helicopter may be MSRP, but I saw Jabba's Palace at Target for $143. Did a doubletake.

[quote name='blandstalker']The fire helicopter may be MSRP, but I saw Jabba's Palace at Target for $143. Did a doubletake.[/QUOTE]

Wait what? Its $120 MSRP aint it?

ಠ_ಠ

My Targets don't have any huge sets like the palace but they have normal prices 98% of the time. Nothing is as bad as TRU.

bread's done
Back