LEGO Deals 3

Anyone know if there will be any cool upcoming giveaways with X dollars purchased? Want to try and maximize value on the JP set if I do go that route.
Sadly there are no double points listed like the unconfirmed list has. That would have been great with the Asian Boat Race set. This is the actual list...

July 12-14: Christmas in July. In store sales and exclusive offers. (Last year's Gift.)

July 10 & 17: Frog build. Registration starts on July 5.
July 15: Minifigure Swap Monday
July 18-21: Fre LEGO City Satellite polybag with purchases of $40 or more.
July 20: LEGO Life Meeting

LEGO has bought back the LEGOLand parks and Discovery Centers for 6 BILLION dollars.

In case anyone is wondering why LEGO is cutting costs with horrible minifigure printing and cheaper trans not so clear plastic.

LEGO has bought back the LEGOLand parks and Discovery Centers for 6 BILLION dollars.

In case anyone is wondering why LEGO is cutting costs with horrible minifigure printing and cheaper trans not so clear plastic.
It's funny, I didn't know that LEGO didn't own them until a few weeks ago when I stopped by a Discovery Center for the first time to return a S@H order and they told me they couldn't take it. The entire store was empty -- not a single customer and just one teenage employee who was texting the entire time, including while talking to me. One of the light bulbs was flickering and the first LEGO box I picked up to look at was sticky. What a mess of a store. Hopefully it gets better under LEGO ownership.

That's too bad to hear about the LEGO Discovery Center stores. I looked at their websites and they seemed to be lacking in things to do (the LEGO stores seemed more fun at this point). Are the LEGO Land amusement parks any better?

No. They’re also run down and the rides are mediocre at best. Definitely let down after going to Sea World, Universal, and Disney for a family vacation a couple years ago

Speaking of let downs.

AWD finally updated their LEGO section for the first time in months. A bunch of decent deals depending what you are looking for. There is the $15 HP spider attack set for $7. I bought a Minecraft chicken set for $11.

But the biggest letdown, I don't think it was a ghost set, but there was a NinjaGo City set for $102.15. Not 202.15, $102!!!!
So obvious I went to checkout as fast as I could but right before I hit the 'ORDER' button it was also taken. It it was someone here I'm tracking you down, I would love that set. It would have maxed out my credit card and it would have been worth it.

Some good drops at Amazon right now. The Lego Movie 2 Party Bus is $50 and the Pirate Roller Coaster is $57. There is a City tractor for $12. Check Brickset for all drops.

If you have an AmEx with membership rewards points, you can stack with 20% or $30 off $60, if you're eligible for either offer (both targeted, not sure what eligibility criteria are). I bought the three sets above at 20% off.

It's funny, I didn't know that LEGO didn't own them until a few weeks ago when I stopped by a Discovery Center for the first time to return a S@H order and they told me they couldn't take it. The entire store was empty -- not a single customer and just one teenage employee who was texting the entire time, including while talking to me. One of the light bulbs was flickering and the first LEGO box I picked up to look at was sticky. What a mess of a store. Hopefully it gets better under LEGO ownership.
OH AH HAH HA HA HA

Oh man wait until you actually PAY to go to the park part of it...

So, you guys probably remember me talking about my ex and how much she loved legos, because for a few years I stalked this thread for her :p

Okay, around Halloween a few years ago, she wanted to go on adult night. Normally, you can't enter anything but the store unless a kid is with you, but on one night every month, the earth splits apart and hell opens to the mortal realm in the form of these discovery places. You start by watching this god-awful movie about how "legos are made", and wow, if I already didn't want to have kids, the thought of having to watch this thing a second time made me sterile.

After that, you get to see they have a ride inside! ...it goes around in a circle and up and down... provided you pedal it yourself. I'm lazy, and I don't like rides, so I skip it. She goes on it, and yea... complaints all night about sore legs.

After that they have the equivalent of an old Burger King or McDonalds play place. I could feel the germs from looking at it.

Then there are some lovely community bricks for everyone to touch, whatever sort of random potluck food employees brought in, and I think they had bottles of wine?

OH, I forgot, they had a mostly-broken shoot the targets with a laser ride at the start.

I never looked forward to leaving a place so much in my life. I've still got their weird printed on Halloween brick somewhere. (Apparently each month has a special brick for going...)

Corvin, same here! It's actually a fantastic set :). I bought one and am tempted to sell the gate/minifigures and just keep the T-Rex. He's awesome!

Amazon has the Ninjago City Docks for $180 (MSRP $230). If you have an AmEx with membership rewards you can get that down to $144.
Would have jumped on that but it seems dead. Not enough experience with Amazon on whether it will hit that again within the next couple of days or if that drop was to clear some stock and now it's done and will stay high. Camel shows this was the only drop in recent history.

Damn. I missed that. I'd love the ferris wheel and never got that for $140.

Still pissed I missed the $102 NinjaGo City. Would love that set. :)

VIP system has changed, you can now earn points in different ways and you can reclaim them for other things, like the Frd keychain or the sold out Batpod thing, posters, whatever.

Go to lego and check it out.

As someone who is fairly new to LEGO's larger sets, I'm absolutely lost with the system that LEGO has for numbering their bags. Does anyone have a way to shed some light on this? They seem to mix the bags in random fashion, use duplicate numbers (for no apparent reason) and mix in minfigures and such too. Surely it'd be simpler to just number the bags in order without repeating numbers?

Do they sometimes have like a "Large bag #1" and "Small Bag #1"?

As someone who is fairly new to LEGO's larger sets, I'm absolutely lost with the system that LEGO has for numbering their bags. Does anyone have a way to shed some light on this? They seem to mix the bags in random fashion, use duplicate numbers (for no apparent reason) and mix in minfigures and such too. Surely it'd be simpler to just number the bags in order without repeating numbers?

Do they sometimes have like a "Large bag #1" and "Small Bag #1"?
There is no pattern, it's based on sets. So one set can have two bag 1, and one bag 2 and three bag 3. However the minifigures are mixed in because of people stealing them. If 10 minifigures made up bag 1 then you would be missing the bag all the time.

biggdaddy, thanks a ton! I was so confused about that. The Minifigures I assumed was for people that sell just the Minifigures (gotta make their lives harder lol) but the theft thing makes a lot more sense. I was lost at first because the piece (a 16x4 base plate) was in a bag with a bunch of other base plates, and not in the Bag #1, but it seems that's just how it is according to other people I found online ^_^.

Apparently it also has to do with how they produce the sets as the machines weigh individual bags to look for any that are off (missing pieces) and then hand-sorted by actual people at the factory. Such a complicated system ^_^.

Appreciate it!

biggdaddy mentioned they were changing and upgrading their system. I also had major issues today signing in and when I finally got it to work I showed a $0.00 balance (I should have had about $30 or so). So yeah, I'd give it a few days and see if they straighten it out. If not, contact their customer service. I had planned to use some of my credit and was really disappointed by that as well.

You have to go to the VIP site and sign in, then leave and come back. But yeah it's a huge mess. I don't understand why they changed the points. If a poster is 750 points why couldn't it be like 110 in the old system?

I have 510 new points. However I bought $50 set on Sunday, the boat race set, it was double points. I had roughly 125 points on Monday when a dollar was a point, so If $100 is 650 points now shouldn't I have over 700 points now?

We all need to call LEGO and complain. I had 100+ points Monday aka $5 back. I got 510 points in the new system? So LEGO screwed me out of $5.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm complaining right now. I get the message:

Unfortunately, something seems to have gone wrong with our LEGO® Account system. We have logged the error and have already begun investigating it. However, since this may only be a temporary condition, you’re welcome to try again.

Doesn't matter how many times I try, or attempt to sign out/sign in. Something's definitely up. On the online chat for support I'm #10 in line, so we're definitely not alone. Hope they fix it quick :).

Thanks for your insight guys!

So you have no points? I rather have no points than less points than I should have. This is so stupid. There was no need to change the point system at all! Just add the extra features.

Reminds me when Nintendo changed their system for no point at all.

Yeah biggdaddy, I have 0 points showing or it says "You are not a VIP member, would you like to register?". It's all sorts of messed up. I just talked to Andrew in Customer Service and was told:

"I apologize, yes we're still changing over to the new rewards center, which is causing issues with logging in and viewing points"

"Yes, anything you earned will be changed over to the new system, if you feel points were missed we're happy to have them added once new system is fully integrated"

"I apologize if you were not aware of changes prior to this occurring, we expect it to be resolved in next 24-48 hours, and once you are able to log in if any points are missing we're happy to add them for you and also talk you through the new rewards center if you have any questions."

Looks like it should be resolved in 1-2 days supposedly.

I'm sending them an email right now because I want LEGO to realize just how big a fuck up this is. I'm not waiting 1-2 days and neither should anyone else. Overwhelm LEGO.

I do love the 'I apologize if you were not aware of changes prior to this occurring', there was NO heads up. LEGO fan sites were told months ago the system was changing and given no details.

I don't get how LEGO can fuck this up so badly.

$5 = 100 points

$5 = 650 points

Whatever the points you had should be times by 6.5. Not that difficult.

LOL I suddenly have like 19,000 points. I guess LEGO is trying to take advantage of the psychology that 6.5x units sounds like you have more stuff even if each unit is worth 6.5x less.

I used 500 points to order a VIP promo set. I'm guessing this was available in the past as a S@H promo that I missed out on. Happy to pay 500 points for a 200 piece set.

LOL I suddenly have like 19,000 points. I guess LEGO is trying to take advantage of the psychology that 6.5x units sounds like you have more stuff even if each unit is worth 6.5x less.

I used 500 points to order a VIP promo set. I'm guessing this was available in the past as a S@H promo that I missed out on. Happy to pay 500 points for a 200 piece set.
That's why I want LEGO to fix my points, that little set is worth like $3.50 to LEGO but is nice.

I like the art prints...to bad they want 4000 points for the Ron Lim one.

The only problem I see is having seperate rewards for in store purchases vs. online...you could do either/or previously.

Edit:  Target and Walmart started their summer Lego clearance.

LEGO seems to love to fuck things up that aren't broken and refruse to fix what is broken, like their website during sales, Bricks and Pieces, using more and more stickers while inflating the price dramatically, the quality of the bricks, the horrible paint jobs on minifigures... 

You can get the Ninjago City Docks for $144 right now if you’re a Prime member. You need to fiddle with the Amazon camera app function to unlock the extra 20% off that gets you down from $180 to $144. Saw it on Reddit.

Has the Ideas Treehouse been posted here yet? I just saw it for the first time: https://9to5toys.com/2019/07/12/lego-ideas-treehouse-21318/

Looks cool to me, I'll definitely get it. At the same time, it feels recently like LEGO is catering maybe a little too much to spendy weirdos like me and not to kids? It just feels like lots of over $100 and $200 sets and less in the kid-friendly price range. I don't know, hopefully I'm wrong about this.

At the same time, it feels recently like LEGO is catering maybe a little too much to spendy weirdos like me and not to kids?
LOL this is exactly how I feel. I'm totally a spendy weirdo now. Luckily for my new-found hobby, LEGO tends to retain its value quite well and often appreciates rather quickly :).

Nah, LEGO aisles are continually flooded with kids sets. It's just that the bigger ones get social/media attention because of the "wow" factor.

My problem is they make all these big sets where the price has dramatically increase in the last year or so, yet the quality of LEGO has gone down.

I just bought a keychain with the yellow printing over a black base, it looks great. That's rarely the case now-a-days. The printing of Batman's mouth or skin tone over a dark base is AWFUL. I have knock offs that look better. The fact there are so many more stickers. The Lunar Lander has 900 less pieces than the Saturn V and can't even make the flag piece a print? The set is full of stickers when the Saturn V is mainly prints.

Like Corvin said the 25 big sets get social media attention when the 800 'regular' priced sets kind of drown n the sea of LEGO makes a ton of junk a year. 

So LEGO making big sets, cool, but the price and quality issues are a huge problem because the prices increase not because they need to but because LEGO knows they can people of all you people! :p

Doesn’t LEGO only really hold its value if you don’t open it? I feel like the used LEGO market is far smaller than the market for mint in box retired sets. Which sadly makes me wary when opening anything older that’s increased in value significantly 😑

I think it really depends on the set, a lot of people jumped on the band wagon of buying Lego as an investment. In my opinion it just stagnated the prices on newer sets. In some cases it could be just the minifigure that's more sought after than anything else.

The only set that I could think of recently that went oos soon after release is the Joker Manor, haven't checked prices but that one retired about a year ago. Only big sets I currently want are Apocalypseburg, Carousel, & Ninjago Docks, hopefully they get discounted during Prime Day.

Major sale online over at Walmart on Ninjago City, Cloud City, Voltron, Parisian Restaurant, etc. Super tempted but resisting after the JP purchase. Check SD for more details, betting a lot of these sell out before morning.

bread's done
Back