LEGO Deals 3

[quote name='blandstalker']Just speaking for the ones I went to, it seemed like the clearance was about the same size -- it was just items in which I had no interest. Several Targets had 2+ aisles of clearance merchandise. Unfortunately, those 2+ aisles included maybe 2-3 sets of Legos, most of which were unremarkable.

Lego just did not make a big appearance in Target clearance this year. Unlike previous years, going to most Targets showed a toy department that had very few Legos left -- usually only a handful of sets. Most of the sets I did get on clearance were not tagged -- they were ones that I scanned just hopin'.

So, people really bought them this year, at least in my areas. Win for Lego. Lose for finding Lego on decent clearance.[/QUOTE]

I think for the most part the info we are getting might be erroneous? Because think of it, getting a Lego set at 70 % off is almost ridiculous. The profit margins are so low for retail stores with lego's as it is. I believe someone mentioned they make 7-9 dollars off a $100 dollar set. Do we really believe they'll drop them down to $30 and take that huge loss? Or instead send them to liquidators? Basically receipts or it didn't happen :)

[quote name='battledrill']I think for the most part the info we are getting might be erroneous? Because think of it, getting a Lego set at 70 % off is almost ridiculous. The profit margins are so low for retail stores with lego's as it is. I believe someone mentioned they make 7-9 dollars off a $100 dollar set. Do we really believe they'll drop them down to $30 and take that huge loss? Or instead send them to liquidators? Basically receipts or it didn't happen :)[/QUOTE]

Well, I can only show and tell you what I've found. If you need more proof, I've got a pile of receipts for the other sets I mentioned.

Helm's Deep $34.48

I love you Target Clearance!

665C1950-5B77-400F-ADE1-764D07D9C5DE-3023-00000577220B1CD2.jpg

[quote name='battledrill']You my friend are a gentlemen and a scholar. From this point on I shall hound more targets until I have my come uppance.[/QUOTE]

As I previously mentioned, I would strongly recommend composing a list of the clearance items you are interested in with their DPCI numbers (such as the list I put together a couple of pages back). I keep a list on a note on my iPhone which has a shorthand name of each known Target clearance set, its DPCI, and the lowest price I have found it for as well as the store location with that lowest price.

At the bottom of my list, I keep a list of what each store has in stock in terms of Lego that is either on clearance or full price as well as the quantity. I.e. LA store = Mines of Moria x3, Helm's Deep x2, Forest PD x4, Jabba x1 etc.

Once you have a list, you should be able to search on Target's website for the names of the sets/DPCIs, and select the "Find in Store". The store inventory display will pop up and list each store address and phone number along with whether or not the item is in stock.

If any stores list them as "Out of Stock" or "Limited Availability", it *may* be on clearance in that store(s)'s system. I would try calling those stores and getting a price check on the DPCI(s). Press 0 for the store operator and ask for Customer Service, NOT the toy department, then request a price check on your DPCI(s). Of course, it's all YMMV - always is when it comes to Target clearance. This will save you time and gas and allow you to formulate a plan in terms of which stores to visit and in what order.

If a store lists "Not Sold At This Store", you know not to bother there because the item won't be in the system there (and will come up as "ITEM NOT FOUND" on the in store price checkers). And of course, if it comes up as "In Stock", then you know where to get it.

I don't even bother to use the "change payment type" trick anymore, I just straightforward tell the CSR person that I bought it at another store and want to return it because it's showing that it's cheaper at this store. Almost always, they let me return and rebuy it despite it being on clearance.

For example, Helm's Deep is $119.99, $129.99, and even $139.99 at other stores. It's $34.48 and $40.56 at two other stores. So I told the employee at Customer Service that it's cheaper at her store, so I want to return it and buy it here. They might tell me to go check the shelves for it and that they can't resell it to me, but usually they do anyway, or do so after I check the shelf, come back and tell them it's not on the shelf and kindly request with my sad face/puppy dog eyes if I can buy the one I just returned. Like Colt 45, it works (almost) every time. Results may vary, though. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
My local Target is basically cleaned out. The one on the other side of town might still have something, and I might check it tonight since I'm hitting the Walmart over there.

My local Target is pretty cool with stuff, so I could probably do the return/rebuy. A few months back when Kid Icarus released for the 3DS and Best Buy had it for $29.99, and MGS 3DS for $29.99, and Target had their B2G1 sale. I asked the guy at electronics if I could price match both and combine it with RE:R to get the B2G1. He initially rang up his manager, who said no, and then turned to me and said "Screw it, I'll ring it up anyway." Only set I know I could do the return/rebuy with is the Uruk-Hai Army though.

[quote name='karkyco']As I previously mentioned, I would strongly recommend composing a list of the clearance items you are interested in with their DPCI numbers (such as the list I put together a couple of pages back). I keep a list on a note on my iPhone which has a shorthand name of each known Target clearance set, its DPCI, and the lowest price I have found it for as well as the store location with that lowest price.

At the bottom of my list, I keep a list of what each store has in stock in terms of Lego that is either on clearance or full price as well as the quantity. I.e. LA store = Mines of Moria x3, Helm's Deep x2, Forest PD x4, Jabba x1 etc.

Once you have a list, you should be able to search on Target's website for the names of the sets/DPCIs, and select the "Find in Store". The store inventory display will pop up and list each store address and phone number along with whether or not the item is in stock.

If any stores list them as "Out of Stock" or "Limited Availability", it *may* be on clearance in that store(s)'s system. I would try calling those stores and getting a price check on the DPCI(s). Press 0 for the store operator and ask for Customer Service, NOT the toy department, then request a price check on your DPCI(s). Of course, it's all YMMV - always is when it comes to Target clearance. This will save you time and gas and allow you to formulate a plan in terms of which stores to visit and in what order.

If a store lists "Not Sold At This Store", you know not to bother there because the item won't be in the system there (and will come up as "ITEM NOT FOUND" on the in store price checkers). And of course, if it comes up as "In Stock", then you know where to get it.

I don't even bother to use the "change payment type" trick anymore, I just straightforward tell the CSR person that I bought it at another store and want to return it because it's showing that it's cheaper at this store. Almost always, they let me return and rebuy it despite it being on clearance.

For example, Helm's Deep is $119.99, $129.99, and even $139.99 at other stores. It's $34.48 and $40.56 at two other stores. So I told the employee at Customer Service that it's cheaper at her store, so I want to return it and buy it here. They might tell me to go check the shelves for it and that they can't resell it to me, but usually they do anyway, or do so after I check the shelf, come back and tell them it's not on the shelf and kindly request with my sad face/puppy dog eyes if I can buy the one I just returned. Like Colt 45, it works (almost) every time. Results may vary, though. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Definitely gonna try this thanks!

So whoever mentioned checking out the Wal-Marts in small towns was spot on. I had to be in a small town today for work, so I checked out the Wal-Mart there. Not a ton of different Lego on clearance, but I grabbed a few things. However, they had an obscene amount of Series 5 minifigs for $1 a piece, and for some reason I decided to just clean them out.

So anyway... does anyone want to trade for a complete set of Series 5 minifigs? I've probably got a lot of them. I never picked up any minifigs from Series 4, 6, 7, or 9, so those would be perfect for swapping.

[quote name='BingoBrown']So whoever mentioned checking out the Wal-Marts in small towns was spot on. I had to be in a small town today for work, so I checked out the Wal-Mart there. Not a ton of different Lego on clearance, but I grabbed a few things. However, they had an obscene amount of Series 5 minifigs for $1 a piece, and for some reason I decided to just clean them out.

So anyway... does anyone want to trade for a complete set of Series 5 minifigs? I've probably got a lot of them. I never picked up any minifigs from Series 4, 6, 7, or 9, so those would be perfect for swapping.[/QUOTE]

Yes small towns are good. I went to Franklin, KY and while nothing was on clearance at their walmart they had a ton of Vampyre Castles, Helms Deep, old City sets and whatnot. A few weeks back I got 4 Weathertops at a small town walmart for $25 a piece. Weirdest clearance I had seen.

And how the hell are you people finding minifigs? My town and surrounding areas NEVER carry the damn things and I have to go to the LEGO store to get them.

At the Walmarts I have seen minifigures they are never near the LEGOs, they are usually near Matchbox cars, or just a random sidecap.

Went to 3 targets and one Walmart yesterday and only found the lego advent calendars at one target and one Star Wars set at Walmart on clearance. Everything else was full price. Though at one target I did find 7 series 8 mini figures but decided not to get them. Went back today and only found 3 on the series 8 mini figs scattered around the clearance isle(but without a red sticker) and a rack filled with series 7 mini figs. I ended up buying the 3 series 8 and 6 of the series 7. Anyone else finding the old mini figs or literally no clearance lego items?

Edit: ahhh, was a page off when I posted and just saw the minifig talk.

Yeah, I found the mini figs on the side caps as well, a few isles down from the lego isle. But still, of the three targets I visited that was the only one that had the minifigs.

I'm not one to brag, but I just had to share this deal.

I've never really found that many good clearance Legos, the best thing I found is probably an Uruk Hai army set for $20 at Target a week or so after Christmas. I think I actually posted it here.

Anyway, I had some free time to kill this afternoon since I locally travel for my job. I decided to run into a Wal Mart I was near. As soon as I walk in, a huge mob of people are near the front of the store, rummaging through some shelves of toys near the front of the store. Having no idea why they were doing this, I looked through. The only Legos I saw were the Mummy and Werewolf Monster Fighter sets, both at ~$6 and $20 respectfully. Nothing to write home about.

I walked back to toys and saw another little island of clearance toys, more Legos, including two Millennium Falcons, a couple X-Wings, Tie Fighter, and The Batcave. I overheard an employee saying to a lady that these sets, pointing to the Millennium Falcon and Batcave, should be up front with the big crowd. I asked him what that was about, and he said all the toys are no more than $5, since they are just trying to get rid of their remaining clearance. I was floored, and I repeated to him "So these are $5?" He said yes, and all I would need to do is take them to the employee near the mob and she would ring it up. I quickly grabbed the Falcon and Batcave, my most wanted ones there, and took them to her, where she confirmed they were $5 each. Granted, these were marked clearance at ~$137 and $69. I couldn't contain my excitement! I quickly checked out, afraid it was a mistake, and left. I texted my fiancee when I was back in the car. I was shaking I was so excited.

I decided to venture back inside to see if anything else there was clearance. I got back to where I found the sets and everything was gone. I saw two folks with carts bigger than them loaded up with toys and Legos. I watched as one of them grabbed a handful of Legos from the actual Lego isle, none of these were marked. She said to the other guy there that they were marked down too, so I quickly grabbed the only two she left, a Mandalorian Fighter and a Republic Strike Class Fighter. I had someone in Electronics ring me out since that is where they were gathering, and sure enough they were $5. Apparently they were marking things down throughout the day, so just because it wasn't marked clearance doesn't mean it wasn't. There didn't seem to be any other sets left, as I scanned a few sets I thought might be clearance but they came up normal price.

Here are the pictures to prove it.

20130123180927982.jpg

20130123181003682.jpg

[quote name='karkyco']As I previously mentioned, I would strongly recommend composing a list of the clearance items you are interested in with their DPCI numbers (such as the list I put together a couple of pages back). I keep a list on a note on my iPhone which has a shorthand name of each known Target clearance set, its DPCI, and the lowest price I have found it for as well as the store location with that lowest price.

For example, Helm's Deep is $119.99, $129.99, and even $139.99 at other stores. It's $34.48 and $40.56 at two other stores. So I told the employee at Customer Service that it's cheaper at her store, so I want to return it and buy it here. They might tell me to go check the shelves for it and that they can't resell it to me, but usually they do anyway, or do so after I check the shelf, come back and tell them it's not on the shelf and kindly request with my sad face/puppy dog eyes if I can buy the one I just returned. Like Colt 45, it works (almost) every time. Results may vary, though. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

You sir are the King of Clearance. Thanks again for the list you compiled. I was able to get the only Helms Deep available in the OC for $40.68. Though none of the Targets have placed the weather top past the 30% mark. Still trying to find

Wow. really good finds. It's also about just being at the right place at the right time. I went to a few and got shut down. But it also depends on the "cycles" each store uses to mark down stuff. I know I saw a lot of Targets this week that had 2 aisles full of stuff on clearance except Legos. I'm just gonna have to keep an eye out for these clearances to be marked down finally.

[quote name='Zeldafanatic15']Forgot to add that. At the Walmart near Arundel Mills in Landover MD.[/QUOTE]

Just to let you know I am drawing a picture of you and repeatedly stabbing your hands with a pencil. Lucky >_>

[quote name='Unaki']Just to let you know I am drawing a picture of you and repeatedly stabbing your hands with a pencil. Lucky >_>[/QUOTE]

I second this, especially since three of those are sets I'm after (the Star Wars ones).

Ran to the further away Walmart, still no Falcon on sight even though the website has had it listed as In Stock there for weeks now. Didn't feel like fighting with customer service over finding out the price. They did have two Quinjets for $49.00, but I wasn't that interested. I also saw red tags on the Ghost Train, but they were full price.

Hit the Target by there too. They had 4 of Anakin's Jedi Interceptors left. Kind of wish I had grabbed that when it was $30 back in November, as they're still full price. Looked up and found a lone X-Wing sitting on the shelf. Still rang up at full price.

My KMart still has like three Forbidden Forest Harry Potter sets left. I know it's pricey, but I kind of want a Voldemort mini-fig and I'd rather spend $12 and get 4 mini-figs than shell out $5 plus shipping for one from Ebay.

There are three Walmarts and one Target nearby I haven't checked. The Target is about 15ish minutes, and the Walmart is another 5ish minutes down the road from there. The other two Walmarts are about 30ish minutes, but in completely opposite directions. The farthest away Walmart is the closest to a "small town" Walmart I can get, but it is also the only Walmart in a 20 mile radius. I'm thinking about checking it out anyway.

[quote name='Zeldafanatic15']I'm not one to brag, but I just had to share this deal.
[/QUOTE]

Unbelievable score. Congrats.

[quote name='mweav067']
My KMart still has like three Forbidden Forest Harry Potter sets left. I know it's pricey, but I kind of want a Voldemort mini-fig and I'd rather spend $12 and get 4 mini-figs than shell out $5 plus shipping for one from Ebay.[/QUOTE]

$12 really isn't bad for that set, considering it has 4 minifigs and tree parts. I scored one for $7 a while back at Walmart. I don't really care for Harry Potter much, but it's not a bad set.

[quote name='BingoBrown']$12 really isn't bad for that set, considering it has 4 minifigs and tree parts. I scored one for $7 a while back at Walmart. I don't really care for Harry Potter much, but it's not a bad set.[/QUOTE]

And Hagrid is like two minifigs.

Know what I got for $5 at Walmart? 5 series 8 figures. Yeah thats it. An employee told me that the store should have 38 packs but I could only find 5.

I can't find anything at Target..
They had a couple Mando battle packs for around $8, but I scored 8 of them at 2 different Walmarts when they were around $6 each. Have me a nice little army now :)

I just started building Helm's Deep tonight. I have been building it for about 3 hours now.
It is EASILY the greatest set I have ever had. The detail and realism is just amazing. Can't wait to have my 45 Rohan soldiers try to defend it from my 63 Uruk-Hai (thx bricklink!)!!!!

[quote name='SSchmidt']I can't find anything at Target..
They had a couple Mando battle packs for around $8, but I scored 8 of them at 2 different Walmarts when they were around $6 each. Have me a nice little army now :)

I just started building Helm's Deep tonight. I have been building it for about 3 hours now.
It is EASILY the greatest set I have ever had. The detail and realism is just amazing. Can't wait to have my 45 Rohan soldiers try to defend it from my 63 Uruk-Hai (thx bricklink!)!!!![/QUOTE]
You need to get another one and combine the two to make it more to scale.

I think people here need to calm the fuck down. It's LEGOs, it's plastic, calm down, get fucked, have a drink and calm the fuck down. :lol:

[quote name='bigdaddy']I think people here need to calm the fuck down. It's LEGOs, it's plastic, calm down, get fucked, have a drink and calm the fuck down. :lol:[/QUOTE]

No need to be hostile. This is a thread intended for people who enjoy LEGOs and want to find deals on them. This thread subsequently is on a website dedicated to finding things as cheap as possible.

You should know this since you have been around since 2006

[quote name='bigdaddy']I think people here need to calm the fuck down. It's LEGOs, it's plastic, calm down, get fucked, have a drink and calm the fuck down. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking someone had too much to drink tonight.

WTH? Some chick find you attractive and wouldn't let down?

Sinece this is unrelated I guess I'll make it a double post, but what is with all the love for Helms Deep? I have the set and it is alright, but I have the Kingdoms castle, the previous Castle castle and the Vampyre castle, plus some other sets you could compare it to like the Mill Village Raid, the City of Atlantis and the Kingdoms Joust, and of all of those sets I mentioned, it is easily my least favorite. It just seems like it goes together oddly and fails to capture the thing that it is supposed to be. Though the rest of you seem to disagree with me so maybe there is something that I am missing.

no one sees the smilie?

And I'm not the one talking about hanging myself, and stabbing things over not getting a deal. So yeah I'm the crazy drunken hostile one. :roll:

The Black Pearl was a decent deal at $50. I wish the masts had a little more support, but still a nice size set. A lot of extra pieces came with it I noticed, including quite a few swords.

Didn't get to that Walmart today. I'll head out that way after work tomorrow probably.

I am simply amazed by your clearance deals... I haven't really found anything worth posting about.

And ackbar7, I also have the two previous castles, but Helm's Deep is my favorite because of the many details. There are no BURPS at all and the building techniques are ones I hadn't seen before in a Lego set.

That Walmart $5 deal was amazing. Although why why WHY didn't you buy every single set that was $5, I mean every single one including multiples?!? The only thing better than a millennium falcon for $5 is multiple millennium falcons for $5 each.

[quote name='karkyco']That Walmart $5 deal was amazing. Although why why WHY didn't you buy every single set that was $5, I mean every single one including multiples?!? The only thing better than a millennium falcon for $5 is multiple millennium falcons for $5 each.[/QUOTE]

That's my philosophy. If it's a good deal, I buy EVERYTHING I see. At $5, I'd have rented a uhaul!

The deals pretty much died down in my area. I revisited stores I'd made stock notes on and they were pretty much cleaned out by competitors. I can't complain, I got at least one of any particular set I wanted and got up to 25 of some sets like the landspeeder. I regret not buying more sith nightspeeders as I don't like the set but it has some unique minifigures that will probably increase its value.

I did get lucky two weekends ago at one WM that was right off the interstate. They had tons of pod racers, harbors, infiltrators, etc that were unmarked but rang for the 50%+ clearance prices. While in the store I ended up giving some sets from my cart to a guy who was with his gf who had just gifted him his first Lego for Xmas. He'd never had them as a kid and now he was hooked. Found a MF and Malevolence at another store for $79 as well which was a steal until someone got a MF for $5.

On another note, during an out of state work trip yesterday I found two masterpiece optimus primes at TRU, with the bogo 50% sale I got them for $97.50 each. A steal considering they're going for twice that on eBay.

[quote name='encendido5']I am simply amazed by your clearance deals... I haven't really found anything worth posting about.

And ackbar7, I also have the two previous castles, but Helm's Deep is my favorite because of the many details. There are no BURPS at all and the building techniques are ones I hadn't seen before in a Lego set.[/QUOTE]

BURP and POOP are my favorite LEGO acronyms. I don't know why....

My local Walmart had jack and shit on the shelf. I think I went way too late to catch any clearance items. But they historically have never done the $5 get it out of here sale ever.

[quote name='karkyco']That Walmart $5 deal was amazing. Although why why WHY didn't you buy every single set that was $5, I mean every single one including multiples?!? The only thing better than a millennium falcon for $5 is multiple millennium falcons for $5 each.[/QUOTE]

To be completely honest, I didn't believe him. And when he said those were $5, he only pointed to the Falcon and the Batcave. I'm not greedy so I didn't grab the other Falcon, and those were the only ones I really wanted, so when he told me that I ran to the front and sure enough they were. He did not say any of those other sets on the endcap were $5, just that the two I had were.

The lady who had the cart full of toys and Lego, a lot of those were sets from the actual Lego isle, none of them marked clearance. It turned out those other sets were $5, but I was a little too loate when I went back inside. Oh well, I'm thanking God for my lucky find and I am happy with what I have. Halfway through the Falcon and it is loads of fun. Needed it after the bad day I had, woke up to an email from my bank about some irregular charges. Turns out someone stole my debit card information and cleared my account of $600, which I'll get back eventually, but I guess that's karma kicking me for my good fortune yesterday.

And I'm sorry if I upset anyone. Didn't mean to make anyone jealous, I just wanted to share my good luck. And I have never found anything good on clearance before, but never stops me from looking, so if you think you'll never find anything, try again.

Probably my only other great deal I ever found was this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOY-STORY-S...V_Movie_Character_Toys_US&hash=item1c2f89f1e3

Found it at a Kmart for ~$6, the box was faded, looked like it had been in a stockroom for a long time, but my fiancee loves the aliens from Toy Story, so I was thrilled.

Nobody was getting mad at you, there is absolutely no need to apologize, this thread is pretty civil. A lot of us have been lucky one point or another, it was just your turn.

Those stupid aliens cost that much? I picked those up Kmart as well for around that much. I let my daughter play with them though, the only one she is missing from the original story line is Rex.

[quote name='etcrane']Yay for people taking everything as opposed to what they need? Tis the American way I suppose ...[/QUOTE]

Technically, with Lego you need as much as you can get your hands on, seeing as those bricks can be used for MOCs or whatever. I would have cleaned out that Wal-Mart's $5 stock as well, that's less than a penny per brick on some of those sets!

Hoping the weather stays okay tomorrow... That snowstorm shifts just a little north or east and I'm screwed, and I really want to get to that Walmart tomorrow (even though my paycheck is going straight to my car insurance).

Does anywhere besides TRU and the Lego Store sell Technic sets? I've wanted to pick one up and build it, but it seems they're only available at TRU around here. The new Grand Prix Racer looks pretty interesting too, considering I'm a huge Formula-1 fan.

Also, I just noticed that the Mandalorian Fighter is $39.97 on walmart.com. Has anyone built this set? It looks pretty cool, and I could always use more Mandalorians.

[quote name='mweav067']Hoping the weather stays okay tomorrow... That snowstorm shifts just a little north or east and I'm screwed, and I really want to get to that Walmart tomorrow (even though my paycheck is going straight to my car insurance).

Does anywhere besides TRU and the Lego Store sell Technic sets? I've wanted to pick one up and build it, but it seems they're only available at TRU around here. The new Grand Prix Racer looks pretty interesting too, considering I'm a huge Formula-1 fan.

Also, I just noticed that the Mandalorian Fighter is $39.97 on walmart.com. Has anyone built this set? It looks pretty cool, and I could always use more Mandalorians.[/QUOTE]

TRU and Lego are the only ones that sell Technic now. Apparently it's now considered a TRU exclusive.

The Mandalonian Fighter was one of the sets I picked up, it looks really cool, haven't built yet, and it looks really similar to T-6 Jedi Shuttle, which I had a lot of fun building and is a really cool set.

Zeldafanatic, like skiizim said, there is no need to apologize. I know many of us here love hearing about great finds like yours, even if we do get a bit jealous :lol:

[quote name='bigdaddy']Does anyone have any thoughts on the Police Forest Station and the Fire Plane?[/QUOTE]

I like the Police Forest Station, although they could have integrated the logs a little better than it just being a few corner supports. It also comes with a bear.

I don't really like the Fire Plane that much. I don't necessarily dislike it, it's just one of those sets for me where if it's a super good deal I'd get it, otherwise I just don't care.

Looks like the storm stayed south, so I'll be able to hit that further away Walmart. The town is a lot bigger than I thought though, but still worth a look.

[quote name='mweav067']I like the Police Forest Station, although they could have integrated the logs a little better than it just being a few corner supports. It also comes with a bear.

I don't really like the Fire Plane that much. I don't necessarily dislike it, it's just one of those sets for me where if it's a super good deal I'd get it, otherwise I just don't care.

Looks like the storm stayed south, so I'll be able to hit that further away Walmart. The town is a lot bigger than I thought though, but still worth a look.[/QUOTE]

May you find great deals good sir!

bread's done
Back