LEGO Deals 3

I was at the Lego store earlier and the Chima sets don't look too bad, are they going to try and replace Ninjago if it takes off or monopolize on both?

[quote name='skiizim']I was at the Lego store earlier and the Chima sets don't look too bad, are they going to try and replace Ninjago if it takes off or monopolize on both?[/QUOTE]

The plan was to replace NinjaGo (Why the boxes say "Final Battle", but they took that back and they will have both in 2014.

[quote name='etcrane']Evidently in LEGO world, the coast guard exists solely to rescue people from sharks.[/QUOTE]

It fits in with the 1:1:1 ratio of cops to criminals to citizens, as well as the spontaneously combusting fires that must occur in LEGO world.

The fires start because of crack houses. :lol:

The Castle castle is boring. However I'm getting a kick out of the Brickset talks. Huw (who is a prick) thinks the Friends boat is an eyesore, then likes the new Castle. 90% of the people hate the new castle, but Huw is trying to say the reaction is split. And then says it's the return of human vs human. Dd he completely forget Kingdoms? I know you don't need to know everything, but he runs a massive LEGO site, you think he would remember the last Castle theme from a year or two ago.

Lego headphones...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61839591@N08/8431767947/in/photostream

Neat plane if you get rid of the cockpit...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92090133@N04/8432388062/in/photostream

Last edited by a moderator:
That new Stealth Starfighter looks like it's the Z-95 Headhunter, just repainted. Nothing new about the AT-TE that I can see.

The Friends boat is kind of cool, but I have basically no interest in that theme.

The new Castle looks pretty bad.

The Coast Guard stuff is cool, but I'd probably only get them if I find them on a huge discount.

What does anyone think of the Creator Blue Roadster set from last year? My Target has a couple of them in stock at $12.99, and it seems like a much better value than most other $13 sets.

[quote name='etcrane']Evidently in LEGO world, the coast guard exists solely to rescue people from sharks.[/QUOTE]

And it also protects the borders, keeping the non-Yellow minifigs out.

The castle just looks like a castle. I don't like it but I don't hate it. It's just ... there.

That Friends boat looks fun. I really like what Lego has done with that theme. The sets are a thousand times better than Bellville and Scala and the other previous girl themes.

The cargo sets give me nice memories of my old city layout growing up. I had a delivery center that I pretended was a front for organized crime. In related news, I had a twisted childhood.

6377-1.jpg

[quote name='salty tbone']Yeah, and a popcicle. I wish it had ice cream, though.
51FnFWVj1RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yup thats the one. I like the stand as a potential amusement park diorama

[quote name='180husher']Nice creator house. I usually buy all the creator houses but I thought the Hillside set was too expensive and the Sea Cottage too small and boring.[/QUOTE]

My Lego collection started with the Creator houses, have all of them. Both the hillside house and last years Seaside house (I assume thats what your referring to) are great sets. Seaside house is currently on sale at Amazon for $39.97

New Creator house looks great. Definetly picking that one up.

May have to pick up that Castle. I remember having a castle set when I was a kid (in the 80's) and it was one of my all time favorite sets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found the last Helms Deep in SoCal, but I noticed the tape was uneven. I had them open up the box and it was missing bags 1-5 and had a duplicate bag #8 ( I assume to give it some weight.)
Once I get home I am going to open all my boxes to make sure they are complete. I suggest others do the same, just to make sure everyone has a complete set.

There is an alien scorpion, looks "cute".

Here are some pictures, might be the smae ones...
http://smashing-bricks.com

And I lost the site, but I guess the Chima cartoon had rhinos, and skunks in it too. Lego skunks, I acan't wait. :lol: And we are getting an ugly mech thing too from Chima.

Bah, my local Targets are just resistant to Lego clearances. Battle of Helms Deep sits on the shelf taunting me with it's $130 price.

[quote name='bigdaddy']And then says it's the return of human vs human. Dd he completely forget Kingdoms? I know you don't need to know everything, but he runs a massive LEGO site, you think he would remember the last Castle theme from a year or two ago.[/QUOTE]

And Kingdoms brought us some pretty sweet sets in the form of Mill Village Raid, Blacksmith Attack, and Joust. It wasn't as extensive as the Fantasy theme that preceded it, but it was nonetheless notable.

[quote name='salty tbone']The castle just looks like a castle. I don't like it but I don't hate it. It's just ... there.

That Friends boat looks fun. I really like what Lego has done with that theme. The sets are a thousand times better than Bellville and Scala and the other previous girl themes.

The cargo sets give me nice memories of my old city layout growing up. I had a delivery center that I pretended was a front for organized crime. In related news, I had a twisted childhood.

6377-1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

LOL, I have that one. The pilot doubled as a mafia captain/underboss.

[quote name='BingoBrown']And Kingdoms brought us some pretty sweet sets in the form of Mill Village Raid, Blacksmith Attack, and Joust. It wasn't as extensive as the Fantasy theme that preceded it, but it was nonetheless notable.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it was a fine theme, but it too had a bad castle set.
However the $30 looking upcoming Castle expansion set has some character to it. The new castle is just a wall (Duh) with towers, but the towers are all the same, I wish some had sloped roofs.

Something like this...
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=6090-1

Sloped roofs, the little shack in the front. It has some more details.

It just looks like the last one. It needs some rock/mountain pieces.
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=7094-1

It's not "bad", there just isn't anything special about it. Hopefully in 2014 we get some better sets, Kingdoms was like that, blah boring year one, then amazing fun, different enough series 2 the next.

And what does this mean for LotR? They seem to be pushing those sets like nothing. Clearancing sets that just came out in December, more and more sets twice a year, and not just for the new movies. I'm assuming the license is for at least all three Hobbit movies.

A 5 year old in Florida must have got a hold of this book, he make a LEGO gun, went "bang bang" at a classmate and got kicked out of school for two weeks.

http://www.amazon.com/WEAPONS-LEGO-...ie=UTF8&qid=1359673088&sr=1-260&keywords=lego

It's a 30 gallon tub that doesn't even look half full. I would offer $50 and see what they say or maybe you can ask questions if they know what sets the pieces come from, brick only or includes figures, instructions, etc...

It seems they don't have general knowledge of what brick per pound should cost, I think it's still $5-$10 but I haven't kept up with that.

$50 is more than fair because you don't know how much is actual Lego and how much is just crap or not offs. And I don't see any minifigures at all.

[quote name='BingoBrown']It fits in with the 1:1:1 ratio of cops to criminals to citizens, as well as the spontaneously combusting fires that must occur in LEGO world.[/QUOTE]

I just got my first collector set (Fire Brigade) and am working my way through it and my only complaint is that it doesn't come with any friggin' fire pieces. WTH? Picture on the box shows the fireman getting a cat out of a tree. :lol:

What good is a fire station without any fires to put out?

[quote name='bigdaddy']The fires start because of crack houses.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='salty tbone']I had a delivery center that I pretended was a front for organized crime.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='karkyco']The pilot doubled as a mafia captain/underboss.[/QUOTE]
Now I'm beginning to understand why I never enjoyed LEGO as a kid; I didn't know about the LEGO/c'caine storyline that's been going on secretly for decades.

Can I ask a dumb question?

The Wal-Mart around the corner from my kids' school has Avengers Quinjet, Ninjago Sonic Raider, and the Hobbit Goblin King set all in their clearance section. Sticker is red, but marked at full price. I thought maybe at end of the month/start of new month they would actually mark them down. Been in every day for a week, and still no markdown.

When can I expect these kits to drop? Should I be expecting them anytime soon?

[quote name='donniedroc']Can I ask a dumb question?

The Wal-Mart around the corner from my kids' school has Avengers Quinjet, Ninjago Sonic Raider, and the Hobbit Goblin King set all in their clearance section. Sticker is red, but marked at full price. I thought maybe at end of the month/start of new month they would actually mark them down. Been in every day for a week, and still no markdown.

When can I expect these kits to drop? Should I be expecting them anytime soon?[/QUOTE]

It usually means they won't be receiving any new stock of that product. Have you tried scanning them? Sometimes they will show the full retail price, but will scan at clearance. Happened to me with a Batcave. Good luck!

Scanning things is always the first thing I do with clearance items.

If there are no self scanners, flag down an employee.

They will help you, if not, make them help you.

[quote name='jazzman']Found the last Helms Deep in SoCal, but I noticed the tape was uneven. I had them open up the box and it was missing bags 1-5 and had a duplicate bag #8 ( I assume to give it some weight.)
Once I get home I am going to open all my boxes to make sure they are complete. I suggest others do the same, just to make sure everyone has a complete set.[/QUOTE]

That sucks! GD bastard thieves. Was it the one in Glendale? I saw that it went from "Limited Availability" to "Out of Stock" the other day, but Alhambra was still showing as "Limited Availability" as of yesterday. You have to use the special "mobile" online inventory checker with the online item number for that set, since the Target site won't let you search for it as the "Find in Store" button is disabled. Just check the Official Target Clearance thread under Video Games for the new online inventory checker to use this method.

Just checked and Alhambra is still showing it as "Limited Availability".

I am so paranoid about that happening with the sets I buy, even if they put them in the spider locks like a lot of Targets are now doing with the larger sets, who knows if it was a return where someone did that? The weights on a lot of the larger sets is so light IMHO that I am a bit nervous about the ones I have been picking up.

I inspect every sets' seal stickers very carefully, but even then who's to say someone hasn't figured out a way to get them open in a way that it can be resealed without noticing? I've passed up some sets because they looked sketchy...I should have just taken them to the electronics section and had them open it to verify - is that what you did? Or at customer service after purchasing? How did the tape look uneven - was one side's tape pieces sealed at an angle, did it have bubbles under the tape on one side? I've seen that on some sets that I am pretty sketchy about. I've seen a couple where it's pretty obvious, the tape is cut and a new piece of different tape is laid over it. PASS!

I wonder if Lego would send replacement bags free of charge in that situation, I mean 5 freaking bags that would be a hell of a lot to replace. If I could get replacement bags no charge, I would probably pull the trigger (at the $36 clearance price that is)...

[quote name='donniedroc']Can I ask a dumb question?

When can I expect these kits to drop? Should I be expecting them anytime soon?[/QUOTE]

It's pretty hard to predict when they'll drop. Every Wal-Mart is different, but in general from what I've observed, once they get those MSRP red stickers they tend to stay that way for a long time. Last year, it was the case with the Black Pearl at a lot of stores. At my local Wal-Mart, the podracers were that way for 6 months(and moving around half the store) before taking the sudden dive to $34.50. Also noticed this year after Christmas at some of the more isolated stores, I was finally able to find things like the Fire Station half off that got the red stickers LAST winter!

Depends on the Walmart. Could be right now, could be never. Like I said the one near me sticks them in clearance for full price, never discounts them.

[quote name='karkyco']... You have to use the special "mobile" online inventory checker with the online item number for that set, since the Target site won't let you search for it as the "Find in Store" button is disabled. Just check the Official Target Clearance thread under Video Games for the new online inventory checker to use this method.

Just checked and Alhambra is still showing it as "Limited Availability"...[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't put too much reliance in that. Target's online inventory checker is never 100% accurate, whether the mobile or the regular version.

For example -Helm's Deep according to that mobile inventory checker is out of stock everywhere in my city, I was just at a Target earlier today (like less than an hour ago) that had two on the shelves and another Target earlier in the week that had one on the shelf (possible it's sold since then, been a couple of days) - they were still scanning at full $129.99 sadly.

That same Target I was just at also shows out of stock (both mobile and regular web site) on Orc Forge, and had three on the shelves (also scanning full price).

Speaking of Target issues... Why do some stores have not have keypads on their scanners?

[quote name='the-daryl']
Speaking of Target issues... Why do some stores have not have keypads on their scanners?[/QUOTE]

Sometimes only a few scanners in the store will have keypads.

My workaround if I can't find a scanner is to use the Brickset app on my phone and navigate to the page that displays the UPC code.

[quote name='the-daryl']I wouldn't put too much reliance in that. Target's online inventory checker is never 100% accurate, whether the mobile or the regular version.

For example -Helm's Deep according to that mobile inventory checker is out of stock everywhere in my city, I was just at a Target earlier today (like less than an hour ago) that had two on the shelves and another Target earlier in the week that had one on the shelf (possible it's sold since then, been a couple of days) - they were still scanning at full $129.99 sadly.

That same Target I was just at also shows out of stock (both mobile and regular web site) on Orc Forge, and had three on the shelves (also scanning full price).

Speaking of Target issues... Why do some stores have not have keypads on their scanners?[/QUOTE]

The online checker shows they have series 6 figs in stock. I was there last week and couldn't find any. Probably should have asked.

zMy Target, that's in a mall, is getting the grocery store make over. It's a disaster area with three entrances no where near each other. I'm not sure what their plan is.

Anyways no Friends polybags, but they had one random mining polybag they never had before, bought it for the awesome minifigure, and of course the Chima poly.

I feel liek I should just buy 11 of each, one for me and 10 to sell because the prices for the cool little ghost poly is now $12+.

I received my 2 Kingdoms Jousts from Amazon today (gonna build the alternate big model). Wow what a neat set! I didnt realize how large it was. It even has a small chapel with a stained glass window, prayer kneeler and "Bible". Is this the first time Lego has snuck religion in a set? Aside from the obvious Christmas sets of course. Anyway I really dig this set. Possibly the best jousting arena they've done.

With the new Castle sets I want to rebuild my fantasy Castle, such a fun theme. And of course now I really wish I got the Market set and farm sets, would have been a lot of fun for a display.

Found a Creator Wreath bag and Republic Attack Cruiser bag at Walmart for $3.47. Debating if I should go back and grab them.

Another Walmart still has a Quinjet for $49. I just have no interest in that set outside of the minifigs.

My local Target has prices and pegs out for Series 9, but none to be found. No polybags to be found either.

Ran to Boscov's, a local department store, and they had the PotC Mill for like $36.14 or something. I don't remember what the original retail was, but Boscov's has a habit of marking up their toys because otherwise they'd make no profit on them. My local Boscov's and one across town both have a ton of the Harry Potter polybags though, still at $3.99.

the 'Lego' magazine that is sent out to VIP members - is that monthly??? any idea if it has a 10% off coupon on back ?? when does it usually come??? thanks

My kids get the Lego kids club mag but it never has any coupons in it. I did get a regular Lego catalog in Jan. though that had a 10% off coupon. Nothing for Feb. so far.

I finally broke down and bought the weathertop set at Kmart for $45 after coupon and SYWR. I figured it wasn't going to get any cheaper and it's sold out from all the stores I've been to.

[quote name='encendido5']I finally broke down and bought the weathertop set at Kmart for $45 after coupon and SYWR. I figured it wasn't going to get any cheaper and it's sold out from all the stores I've been to.[/QUOTE]

How is the set? I really want one, but it's still $60 everywhere around here.

Judging from stock in my area as well, there are approximately 7 X-Wings left I can get to easily, and 2 Millennium Falcons. Sadly I don't see either set dropping in price near here anytime soon.

bread's done
Back