LEGO Deals 3

Has anybody seen Walmart prices go straight to 50% off?
Yes, just saw a few sets hit 50% including the Sith Interceptor, Jabba's Palace and Malevolence.

Target used to be the clearance destination but it seems they've flipped the title to Walmart the last two years or so. Target doesn't order as much and often has empty shelves during non sale and non sale periods. There's not much left for clearance which usually starts at 10/15% with long intervals till 15/30%. I rarely see anything hit 50% let alone 70%.

Walmart on the other hand has had periods of clearance throughout the year, starting at 30-50%. I've seen sets start at 50% markdowns and then revert back to 30% markdowns as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well now I need to find something to spend $75 on to get that VW van, looks pretty sweet!
That shouldn't be very hard!

Just came back from my local walmart and apparently within the last day or two they clearanced a bunch of legos. Everything on clearance is oos except for 2 seaside houses that have completely jacked up boxes. It was also only $5 cheaper than the current target.com / amazon,con price.

For any NJ CAGs the Kmart in Howell, NJ is going out of business.  I stopped by on Saturday after seeing the sign, and all toys were 20% off.  The Lego was pretty well stocked still, but the place was so packed I didn't think it was worth waiting in line.  I'm sure there are some local CAGs more patient than me though.

That shouldn't be very hard!
Thats what she said

Actually I just put together the Grand Emporium over the weekend (got the pet shop back in June) and found a Hogwarts Express last week too so I am pretty caught up on current needs/wants. Spending $75 on Lego is easy but theres nothing that comes to mind that I really want right now. Hopefully a catalog with a coupon comes before the September promo and/or the MF sets fall further below 20% off, I could probably talk myself into a Ghost Train or Vampyre Castle

^

If they're still available, I'll probably just buy the minecraft and back to the future cuusoo sets and a seasonal polybag.

Apologies for the late response, however I've been quite busy.  I won't bore you all with the details, nor will I update the clearance list above with the numerous notable sets it is missing, as I don't want to appear once again as a braggart.  Instead once I've finished composing this response I promise I'll do more lurking and far less reporting, as I don't want to further upset the sensitive types among us.

Looks like I've exceeded the multiquote limits, so I'll just issue one catchall reply regarding the angst filled melodrama my previous post elicited.  First things first,  :rofl: @ the return fraud comments.  The rampant hypocrisy is also quite amusing.  If one has a ethical/moral dilemna with the return/rebuy method, well that's merely a personal opinion/choice.  

Does the return/rebuy method qualify as fraud, whether return fraud or otherwise?  Certainly not by the legal definition or previously posted/quoted definition above, however, various individuals' opinions (wrong as they may be) vary.  You are mistaking or misunderstanding a form of arbitrage as fraud.  I am breaking no local, state, or federal laws particularly in regards to fraudulent activity or defrauding an individual/corporate entity, etc.  I am making 100% legal transactions and paying in full for my purchases, using 100% legal tender.  I am purchasing my items at one location of a chain store and returning them to the same or different location of the same chain store, and subsequently rebuying them.  If the prices happen to vary between the two locations of the same chain, well that is a case of price discrimination on the part of the seller/retailer.  

If Target would like to pursue groundless legal action and pay me and my attorneys' fees when I counter, that would be their prerogative, however given their unscrupulous policy of very often charging different prices for the same item at the same time based on store location, whether clearance or not, I doubt very much Target corporate would like that dirty little policy of price discrimination to get any more negative publicity or attention than it already does.   If anything, it could be argued that Target is not complying with various federal, state, and local consumer protection laws regarding price discrimination, as the item price at one store is higher at another store of the same chain, very often in the same market.

In fact the only 'violation' on my part that could possibly be argued is violation of some YMMV informal or internal corporate store policy that states that items returned may not be available for immediate repurchase (I say informal because I can find no external, customer facing documentation of this so called store policy).  However it should also be noted that said returned items may become available once they are placed on the floor at some point in the future, thus I am merely expediting the end result of the return process by removing the time between the returned item being placed in a container until it is restocked and subsequently purchased, if it is at all repurchased.  Thus, I am also saving them the effort of having to restock the item.

While Target does explicitly state as part of their customer policy that price adjustment is not available/allowed on clearance items among an assortment of other exclusions, I am not requesting a price adjustment transaction.  I am requesting a change payment type transaction.  They may choose to deny my return, or deny my repurchase, if they so wish.  They may choose to attempt to ban me from a particular store, or the entire chain, if they wish.  However, as long as they continue to have such ludicrous pricing discrepancies, I will continue with my efforts to maximize the deals within the legal boundaries of the law.

Well, now that thats all done with (your sig only makes me think that wall of text is BS, btw.)

lego.com has the back to the future set as "available now". I just placed my order.

Also, I found my best deal at target today. I got the galaxy squad bug obliterator for 23.98. This clearance has been pretty good to me although I did pass up TLR comanche camp for 13.98 and the batman tumbler chase for 27.98. I also passed up the constitution train chase for 69.98 but I am hoping to get that off of AWD in the future for even less. Only time will tell.

Anway, BTTF set avaliable now on lego.com. That is my main reason for posting. Get it while you can.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/The-DeLorean-time-machine-21103

As far as physical retail stores it is only at the Lego store. Have heard about it being carried at TRU in the UK but not sure about the US

I was at Wal-Mart, picked up a Fury Class Interceptor for $49.99. Some of the other sets that were marked down like the Gungan Sub, Pri Vizia Mandolorian Fighter (sp), and Striker went back up to regular price but if you can find them discounted like the interceptor it may be worth the extra discount. I saw the Malevolence for $64 but I already had one.

Saw some other city sets on clearance, the mine for $69, mobile police unit for $30, lego fire plane for $40 but I think it's $10 overpriced already. I saw the excavator transport too but I can't remember that price, I think that one may have been $27 or $30.

I was at Wal-Mart, picked up a Fury Class Interceptor for $49.99. Some of the other sets that were marked down like the Gungan Sub, Pri Vizia Mandolorian Fighter (sp), and Striker went back up to regular price but if you can find them discounted like the interceptor it may be worth the extra discount. I saw the Malevolence for $64 but I already had one.

Saw some other city sets on clearance, the mine for $69, mobile police unit for $30, lego fire plane for $40 but I think it's $10 overpriced already. I saw the excavator transport too but I can't remember that price, I think that one may have been $27 or $30.
Are you in northern or southern California?

Went to three Targets and two Wal-Marts today.

All three Targets had been through their reset.  Only one clearance Lego left at any of them, and that was the Lone Ranger Mine that was put on clearance last week and not dropped.  I scanned a few stray items but no hits.

First Wal-Mart only had the Series 1 SW Planets on clearance for $7.  Nothing else.

The second Wal-Mart had a few items.  Cool Cruiser for $30, Mines of Moria for $54.  There were a few items that were marked clearance but still at the regular price: Goblin King for 99 and Attack of the Wargs for 49.  A few small Creator sets, some of which had sold out.  City Mine for $69, also sold out.

Found the Monster Fighters Vampyre Castle marked down to 70 at Walmart today. Grabbed it and the Werewolf set at Target for 10. Also saw a Star Wars Malevolence at Target for 86

Figures I would go to Shore Leave and THEN my Walmart decides to clearance everything. Damn bastards... Both Falcons gone by the time I got home this week. Bit on the Sith Interceptor for $49.00. They also had all the Series 3 planets clearanced out at $7.00 but the only one left was the Jedi Starfighter, which I already have.

Also, my Series 9 Judge I was getting ready to trade has been missing for like two weeks now. -__-

My local Target was doing a reset yesterday and I noticed one of the employees taking a Star Wars display to the back.  I asked him what they did with them and he said they had to discard them, BUT for $200 he would let me have it.  

It wasn't worth $200 to me, but has anyone ever had gotten hold of these displays?

Someone on CAG has a Alien Conquest display. The new Star Wars display at Target is pretty neat because it has every current minifig. What Lego has done with minifig details in the past 10 years is pretty impressive, although I can't help but think the focus is becoming too much minifig and not enough Lego block. Not a complaint since I'm loving the minifigs and I can make my own stuff, just an observation.

Displays are glued.  Just remember that.  I wanted to work at Target just to get the displays but people probably fight over them.  :lol:

You occasionally see displays for sale on eBay, too.  That new SW display is sweet.

Went to a couple of Targets so far today.  The first had nothing except the bagged Hero Factory on clearance.

The second had that, the Jedi planet, and in another aisle, had the Malevolance for $83.  That's about AWD, and I don't have a burning need for the set.

Looks like the Target clearance is pretty much over for Lego, except for oddballs and returns.

AWD has a MF castle for $75, and the Malevolence for $80ish.  If you have one of their cards it's like saving a few perfect more and no tax.

I'm hoping yoyo has another BOGO50% off sale again.  AWD had a Spiderman flying car for $14.65, but I had nothing to pair it with for the free shipping.  There was a TMNT set for $14 (30% off), but I just hate spending that much on one minifigure I want when the pieces in the set are useless.  Maybe we will get more of that theme next year, but I'm doubting it, just too many themes to do and not enough vehicles to make, unless they have the 80s and new movie TMNT license too.

In 2014 we will get...

Chima

NinjaGo

City

Star Wars

The LEGO Movie

Super Hero

Castle 

Hobbit / LotR

Most likely a Pirate theme (25th anniversary)

Maybe more Galaxt Squad (But seems to be selling poorly)

Hit some Wal-Marts on the way home, since Target now seems over.  I did hit up one Target that had been slow during clearance and they had nothing.

Wal-Mart #1: Nothing.  Not one single Lego on clearance.

Wal-Mart #2. The Mother Lode!  Forest Police Station for $45, Attack of the Wargs for $35, Doc Ock Hideout for $21, Republic Starfighter for $25, Superman/Wonder Woman/Lex for $14, Batman Batwing for $25, Unexpected Gathering for $45 (sold out), Mirkwood Spiders for $21.

Wal-Mart #3.  Nothing.  Shelf Tag for Unexpected Gathering at $45, but no sets.  Nothing else.

I picked up the Forest Police Station, Wargs, Doc Ock, and the Starfighter.  It seems weird to me that I ended up getting these at Wal-Mart after following all those Target clearances, but whatever.

Don't forget, in 2014 it appears we will be getting LEGO Simpsons.
Wow. I missed that. Before I googled it I thought "lego fans are probably already in an uproar" and the search results confirmed that. Nobody suffers their hobby like Lego fans.

Wow. I missed that. Before I googled it I thought "lego fans are probably already in an uproar" and the search results confirmed that. Nobody suffers their hobby like Lego fans.
Like I said, LEGO fans are idiots, it's why I don't go into the forums that much. It's all "LEGO is amazing they can't do anything wrong!", but then LEGO does a Mr. Gold Comic Con and they start crying "LEGO is my friend and this isn't the LEGO I used to know!!!". Look at Brickset, freak out over a made up story on how the Super Hero Comic Con figures were set up to be given mostly to children and how that wasn't fair. So they think it's unfair that kids get LEGO, then they complain because children can't get Mr Gold because of adults buying boxes and returning them after they check.

LEGO Simpsons is a great idea, just think of all the cool hair pieces we will be getting. Also a license set with yellow mini figures! Plus LEGO is less and less about the brick and more and more about minifigure and characters. There is no other license that has as many characters to make as Simpsons, I'm really looking forward to it.

Also we might finally get a school bus set and some interesting cars and small buildings.

As long as LEGO still makes new "action" themes I'm happy. LEGO just makes insane amount of themes now-a-days. I welcome it. Lone Ranger movie bombed but the sets are nice.

I think all the buildings are what give the Simpsons theme the most promise. The school, Kwik-e-mart, the power plant all would be great sets to have, and with the people being yellow the whole theme should fit well with Town/city setups. And after 25 years there are so many minifigs to make. I think it is a theme with more promise than a lot of the other licensed themes we have been getting.

Like I said, LEGO fans are idiots, it's why I don't go into the forums that much.
Any fandom has its cranks, weirdos, and idiots. I had to go google it and read some articles to understand the kerfuffle and I found this quote: "I say no to Simpsons. It is not appropriate at all for LEGO's age group. It's not really appropriate for anyone,"

That person is even more out of touch than Grandpa Simpson or hepped out on goofballs.

LEGO Simpsons is a great idea, just think of all the cool hair pieces we will be getting. Also a license set with yellow mini figures! Plus LEGO is less and less about the brick and more and more about minifigure and characters. There is no other license that has as many characters to make as Simpsons, I'm really looking forward to it..
Amen. I agree 100%. It sounds like they're starting small, but I would absolutely buy a Kwik-e-Mart and a nuclear power plant. Lone Ranger has shown a nice generosity with the minifigures in the sets, so here's hoping that continues.

Any fandom has its cranks, weirdos, and idiots.
Yes but within 24 hours Brickset has people say that Mr Gold is destroying their hobby and the LEGO name because kids can't get them. Then the same people complain that only kids were getting the minifigures from Comic Con. It's a whole new level of crazy that I don't see often besides Firefly and Arrested Development fans.

I think people need to step back and realize it's a plastic toy.

Simpsons LEGO!? I'm going to have to join the AFOLs crying over this. The reason I'm upset is that this will lead to my financial ruin. The horror! The horror ...

Simpsons LEGO!? I'm going to have to join the AFOLs crying over this. The reason I'm upset is that this will lead to my financial ruin. The horror! The horror ...
Now this is something to be upset about. LEGO makes too many sets for me to afford!

Yes but within 24 hours Brickset has people say that Mr Gold is destroying their hobby and the LEGO name because kids can't get them. Then the same people complain that only kids were getting the minifigures from Comic Con. It's a whole new level of crazy that I don't see often besides Firefly and Arrested Development fans.

I think people need to step back and realize it's a plastic toy.
It ceased being just a plastic toy when sets and minifigures alone started going for hundreds, even thousands, of dollars. Nothing amplifies the crazy like high dollar amounts. Lego itself is encouraging this by calling their product "collectible" and "exclusive" and creating exclusive figures that cannot be obtained at regular retail.

And I'm not sure it's always the same people complaining because different fans have different reasons to complain. Some think it should be primarily for kids (and this played into Mr. Gold and The Simpsons). Others want complete collections, and feel distribution, whether by box or con, has become unfair.

I actually kind of sympathize with the latter. Until Mr. Gold came along, it was possible to have a complete set of series minifigures without going to crazy lengths or dropping tons of cash. (Series 1 & 2 are now a little more expensive, but still not a mint). Then Lego changed the rules. Then, if you believe the comicon conspiracy, they changed them again.

I don't think all the complaints are invalid, and I hope Lego is listening. I don't particularly care if they do another Mr. Gold or not, but I would like them to stop making the exclusives so awesome and unobtainable by sane means. Green Lantern and Green Arrow, for instance, should never have been Comicon exclusives. They could easily (1) make more of them, (2) make the exclusives repaints or unique packaging or (3) make general audience figures somehow available to the general audience (duh).

Reading through the Comicon experiences was interesting, but one person summed it up best. Lego should get out of the difficult-to-obtain exclusive business because it brings out the worst in everyone.

Oh, forgot to mention:  went to Wal-Mart and a nearby Target today.

Wal-Mart: Mirkwood Spiders $21, Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout $35, Chima Garmatron $30, Saesee Tiin's Jedi Fighter $21, Republic Striker $25 (sold out), SpongeBob Dutchman $21 and SpongeBob Heroes $13. 

Target: MF Werewolf $10,  Mirkwood Spiders $15 and Attack of the Wargs $25.  No other clearance, except for the $5 Jedi planets.

Finally got my Helicarrier!

One other thing about the Simpsons, it had better mean we get a David Byrne minifig. OK, I realize it won't happen, but a man can dream.

It ceased being just a plastic toy when sets and minifigures alone started going for hundreds, even thousands, of dollars. Nothing amplifies the crazy like high dollar amounts. Lego itself is encouraging this by calling their product "collectible" and "exclusive" and creating exclusive figures that cannot be obtained at regular retail.

And I'm not sure it's always the same people complaining because different fans have different reasons to complain. Some think it should be primarily for kids (and this played into Mr. Gold and The Simpsons). Others want complete collections, and feel distribution, whether by box or con, has become unfair.

I actually kind of sympathize with the latter. Until Mr. Gold came along, it was possible to have a complete set of series minifigures without going to crazy lengths or dropping tons of cash. (Series 1 & 2 are now a little more expensive, but still not a mint). Then Lego changed the rules. Then, if you believe the comicon conspiracy, they changed them again.

I don't think all the complaints are invalid, and I hope Lego is listening. I don't particularly care if they do another Mr. Gold or not, but I would like them to stop making the exclusives so awesome and unobtainable by sane means. Green Lantern and Green Arrow, for instance, should never have been Comicon exclusives. They could easily (1) make more of them, (2) make the exclusives repaints or unique packaging or (3) make general audience figures somehow available to the general audience (duh).

Reading through the Comicon experiences was interesting, but one person summed it up best. Lego should get out of the difficult-to-obtain exclusive business because it brings out the worst in everyone.

Did baseball cards cease being a piece of cardboard when they started going for lots of money?

I feel all fans are doing now-a-days is complain. You can't get something, they complain, Lego doesn't do exactly what they want, they compalin. They don't like it don't buy LEGO anymore.

LEGO makes collectable minifigures because they sell, the new numbers in a box are stupid, but that's life and they did that so the 30 count box and 60 count boxes would match up.

Most of the people complaining about Comic Con will never go to Comic Con, will never meet anyone who will go to Comic Con. They are just complaining because they didn't get something for free.

Mr. Gold is an ugly, shitty mini figure that can easily be ignored, and if you are collecting all the minifigures in the series of mini figures than aren't you just feeding into what you said LEGO shouldn't me doing? If you don't want LEGO to make things collectable than don't collect LEGO.

LEGO is not your friend, they are not your buddy, they are here to make money and that is it. I think the people on Eurobricks and Brickset need to rememebr that. You don't like what LEGO is doing? Ignore it and then buy the sets you like and biuld your own things.

How is LEGO Simpsons not for kids? Simpsons is more family friendly than PotC, Star Wars, Super Heroes and LotR.

Comic Con one year had the black bad guy from Spider-Man, he was later added into the Spiderman set from this year. Just because they are exclusive doesn't mean Green Lantern will not get a minifigure in the future.

How is LEGO Simpsons not for kids? Simpsons is more family friendly than PotC, Star Wars, Super Heroes and LotR.
This is the complaint I understand the least. LotR and to a lesser extent Super Heroes are both fairly violent movies, clearly designed for teenagers and older, with PotC and SW being a little violent, but a little more kid friendly. The Simpsons is a very family oriented show about a family that has issues, but also clearly loves each other. The idea that it is not kid friendly is so based on a late 80s mindset that it is laughable. Plus as LEGO fans shouldn't people notice that this fits nicely into standard LEGO themes far more than any of the others, except perhaps LotR.

Saw a couple of 30% off sets but they had the damn big red clearance stickers that don't come off. They were only about $5 cheaper than amazon though.

Saw a couple of 30% off sets but they had the damn big red clearance stickers that don't come off. They were only about $5 cheaper than amazon though.
The Wal-Mart I went to last night had stickers on them too. =/

I picked up a Republic Striker for $25, Z-95 Headhunter for $35, 2 Geonosian Cannon's for $13, and Spongebob Heroes of the Deep for $11, it was the last one I needed to complete his wave of Spongebob.

Saw but didn't pick up Hobbit Gathering $50, Goblin King $69, Samurai Mech $30, Urkai Army $21, Mirkwood Spiders $21, I think I saw Weathertop for $30. Lex Luthor vs Super Man $13, Spongebob Under the Sea $35 and a few others I can't remember. A few Ninjago, Galaxy Squad and city sets make up that list.

Got a couple from Walmart clearance.  I had to buy at a different store and return/rebuy at the one closest to me, though.   The night before at around 11pm the lego aisle was full and full price.  By 10 the next morning red clearance tags with prices were on the shelves, and everything I would have been interested in was gone.  Ended up going with the Batwing and Lex/Superman set, for $25 and $13, respectively.

Did baseball cards cease being a piece of cardboard when they started going for lots of money?
I didn't say it stopped being a toy. I said it stopped being just a toy.

Also, this is a good time to mention that I don't necessarily agree with or support all the examples I brought up. Which should have been clear from the post and other things I've said in this thread.

I feel all fans are doing now-a-days is complain. You can't get something, they complain, Lego doesn't do exactly what they want, they compalin. They don't like it don't buy LEGO anymore.
If you don't like complaining, don't connect to the Internet. Same deal. That kind of discussion gets us nowhere. I really don't understand why people come to discussion forums if they don't want people to discuss things.

Lego will only change if they hear their customers. If nobody complains or gives them feedback, nothing ever changes. I also think that I and others are doing more than simply "complaining" -- we're offering suggestions, solutions, and other constructive (heh) ways of doing things differently than they are being done now.

That's not to say all complaints/arguments/whatever are the same. Some are clearly insane.

Most of the people complaining about Comic Con will never go to Comic Con, will never meet anyone who will go to Comic Con. They are just complaining because they didn't get something for free.
If I had paid for tickets, stood in line, and done everything according to the rules and conventions, I think I would be justified in being upset that Lego pulled the rug out from under me.

Lego can do whatever it wants to promote its brand and can choose whatever kind of promotion it wants for Comicon. That doesn't mean it's necessarily a good idea. It also doesn't mean that people should not give them feedback. Including people who weren't there because it affects them, too.

Finally, I don't care that I didn't get a free Green Lantern. I care that I can't get a Green Lantern. At all, without spending a ridiculous amount of money. I think Lego needs to hear that. I also think it becomes much more likely for them to release it someday if they hear people discussing it. There are many options here that are better than what Lego is currently doing at events like Comicon.

There is a market for Green Lantern, Green Arrow, etc. It is a good idea to sell to markets that support you and not piss them off. It is also a good idea that, if you're going to promote yourself with collectability and exclusivity that you make those items available to collectors in some reasonable fashion. Otherwise, they eventually get upset and find something else to collect. Lose, lose. You don't want that. You want win, win.

Mr. Gold is an ugly, shitty mini figure that can easily be ignored, and if you are collecting all the minifigures in the series of mini figures than aren't you just feeding into what you said LEGO shouldn't me doing? If you don't want LEGO to make things collectable than don't collect LEGO.
Hey, remember the part where I said I didn't care if they did a Mr. Gold kind of deal again? Clearly I am not in the group of people that needs a "complete" collection.

For those people who are completists, it doesn't matter if Mr. Gold is ugly or shitty, any more than it matters that every series of minifigures has its set of losers. I read one board today, which had several posters who said pretty much the same thing: they liked the minifigures, until Mr. Gold made it impossible for them to have a complete set. Since it was no longer reasonably possible, why should they bother?

Now, I think this is silly. But it's not about me. How many customers did Lego lose? How many good customers -- i.e. people who bought entire sets of figures -- did Lego lose? How many did they gain with the Mr. Gold stunt? Did it even out? Is this a strategy that is going to work over the long term.

Why should I care? I care because I like the minifigures, and I don't want them to go away. If Lego pisses off enough regular, volume customers to chase the fly-by-night crowd and the speculators, eventually it will go bad. It always does. The short term crowd always finds a new thing, and if you don't have your long-term base, you're screwed. I really don't want to see that happen.

In short: I live a happy life without Mr. Gold, but I can still think the idea of Mr. Gold sucks.

Also, you may want to consider that there are customers who are not like you but are still longtime Lego fans and good customers. It is in Lego's interest -- and yours -- that Lego does not drive away longtime, volume customers for short-term marketing.

LEGO is not your friend, they are not your buddy, they are here to make money and that is it. I think the people on Eurobricks and Brickset need to rememebr that. You don't like what LEGO is doing? Ignore it and then buy the sets you like and biuld your own things.
I agree that Lego is not my friend. They do not owe me anything. Their primary job is to make money. I support that. I like giving them money.

Where we differ is that I think it's important to discuss things that they do. If I simply do my own thing and never talk about what could be better, they'll never know, nor will other people just like me. Just as Lego is not my friend, I am not their lap dog or yes man.

I totally agree with you.

I brought this up because it is an example. Some people's worldview is that Lego is a toy for kids. This is one reason why people can complain about both Mr. Gold and the Simpsons, because they see neither of those things as good for kids. Then, you'll have very different people complaining when they do things like they did at Comicon. Lumping them all in one bucket of insanity doesn't really describe what's going on and conflates things that should be separate.

I think complaining about the Simpsons is, frankly, nuts. And I said that before.

Comic Con one year had the black bad guy from Spider-Man, he was later added into the Spiderman set from this year. Just because they are exclusive doesn't mean Green Lantern will not get a minifigure in the future.
Actually, they didn't. The giveaway was Black Suit Spider-Man. That's different than Venom.

And that may sound nitpicky, but that comes with the crowd Lego is courting here. Personally, I think they made the right call here -- I would think that many more people would want a real Venom figure as opposed to a Black Suit Spider-Man figure. That makes Black Suit Spider-Man a better choice for an exclusive.

Again, we're getting back to what Lego could be doing here. You want Spider-Man? Great! There have been several. Black Suit Spider-Man is a recolor, which makes it a good candidate for an exclusive. You may not be ecstatic that you can't easily have a Black Suit Spider-Man, but at least you can still have Spider-Man.

But there is no Green Lantern or Green Arrow minifig available. At all. What they could have done was make the exclusive a Brightest Day/Blackest Night Green Lantern and then made the original available in a set. Or an Emerald Dawn Hal Jordan. Or a dozen other possibilities.

This is so easy, because there are often costume changes or variants or special events. All of these things maintain the uniqueness and collectability of the exclusive while still making some version of the original available to everyone who would like to buy one.

Why wouldn't Lego want to do both? Everybody wins and Lego makes a bigger boatload of cash, without having to change very much at all.

Thanks, I just finished it today. Great looking piece.

Has anyone seen Jabba's Palace on clearance at any Walmart?
Somebody got one for $50 not to long ago, I saw a shelf tag for $95 at the store last week so I'm sure there out there but that set from my personal experience has been limited.

Got a couple from Walmart clearance. I had to buy at a different store and return/rebuy at the one closest to me, though. The night before at around 11pm the lego aisle was full and full price. By 10 the next morning red clearance tags with prices were on the shelves, and everything I would have been interested in was gone. Ended up going with the Batwing and Lex/Superman set, for $25 and $13, respectively.
I noticed that too, I think they were pulled to go back to the warehouse, I found a ton of sets yesterday but no big ones. They were getting ready to reset everything so who knows what they really had in stock or not.

My walmart moved all their crap to clearance aisles. At first I thought they were all oos. They didn't even bother to put all the legos together in the clearance aisles. They were just randomly mixed in.

bread's done
Back