LEGO Deals 3

The Spiderman Marvel Spring 2014 sets...

http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=8899

There is a guy with a huge head. It's funny that Marvel makes all these movies and I know there is a new Spiderman but you think there would be a few more movie characters. They already blew it with no Thor 2 sets.
Wow! Some great -- and some seriously questionable -- minifigures. Modok! Falcon (really? cool!) Luke Cage! Red Skull! These are seriously, seriously unexpected and awesome.

Unfortunately, the sets themselves are an assortment of goofy vehicles. I can't say I want any of those.

The lego kidsfest we went to yesterday was in Conneticut, it was fun for my
son, It was very busy and very crowded, They had lego builds of famouse character
statues like you see at some of the bigger shops. We saw: Batman human size, Man of steel human size.
Full size lego minifigs of them too. They had a mural of the TMNTurtles in lego, they had Jack Sparrow,Clone trooper,Chewbacca
Darth Vader, a life size lightning mcgueen, Harry Potter with Hagrid, Ron and Hermione. 

The convention was setup into carpeted areas, there was build areas for each lego theme, kingdoms,city,star wars,galaxy squad,hero factory, etc.
Where you could build from bins of blocks. There was one city area that had a permanent city and highway/train system built you could add to.

There was an activity area where teams of kids could competer in tower builds and challenges.
There was a family activity area.
There was a bissel push vaccume area where they competed to sweep up bricks.
There was a lego game area where you could demo some of the board games.
There was a book area where you could sample some books and sit on beanbags.
There was a ninjago spinjistu area to make and spin.
There was a mindstorm area where you could try out some premade mindstorm stuff and use
the remote. This was neat they had a build of a mindstorm snake.
There was a life of george demo area. 
There was huge open areas with just piles of blocks to play and lay on.
There was a chima arena, this had the longest lines, if you waited you got to a cicular challenge area where you raced chima speedzor's over ramps and thru
rings. at the end they where giving out the single carded speedzor sets.

There was some give aways at some of the areas usually the little bagged promo's you see in line at stores, harry potter bag,city copter bag etc. 
It was very crowded and the pace was very quick because of this, my son wasn't used to that so much,something where to hectic for him. But overall he had a really
good time. There was free posters and mini mags. They also had life size minifigs of the 2 characters from the upcoming lego movie to take pics with.

I bought two Dynamic Duo Funhouses, the wife gave me a $10 promo code that she got from BF and a $10 Giftcard so not bad, I need to bitch at TRU though, I was charged $22.49 for the second one, not exactly 50% off
I had the same thing happen to me. Ended up not using it on that transaction because of it (used it on Disney Inifinity stuff and rolled into another gift card).

Now, I have no idea why an internet order takes a store twenty minutes to fulfill once customer service signals for a pickup. Aren't they already bundled together in an easily identifiable location? I asked if they were understaffed, and got the answer that no, they had three people working that department..

Lowes corp used to call people and say their orders were ready to pick up, they would show up in the store and we haven't received it yet. So we started telling people if they get a call to recall us and we will go look for the thing.  Corp made it seem like we received it, yet it might be on a truck we won't have come in until night, or 5 days later.

Corporations are stupid.  The TRU I worked at didn't even have a space for storing  internet orders.  It was a mess.

Just did the advent calendar game.  It looks like they are coming out with Star Wars Microfighters in 2014.  The first one they showed was the MF.

Such as ..

LEGO-Star-Wars-Microfighters-75028-75029-75030-75031-75032-75033.jpg

Target has the Goblin King set online for $45... and i still think it's too much. :lol:
Yea. I thought about getting a second set to attempt to make the scene bigger, but I couldn't figure out how it'd work out in the end, so I passed. Imagine two Orthanc sets that fold in half *drool*

Picked up the Hobbit Beorn set at Barnes and Nobles. It's $19.95, so with the $10 off coupon, it was more than half off. Saw the Lake Town set, but I think it's a bit of a ripoff at $50.

I wouldn't say $5, they look much bigger than that.

However knowing LEGO they will probably be $13, which is way too much.  I'm hoping for $8.

It's funny on TnB there is a user who thinks Lego is out to get all resellers. One of his complaints is that Lego is keeping sets out too long, like the Fire Brigade. He also says the biggest FU to resellers would be to bring back the big MF. I say that would be awesome.
Is this user zztoy? Because he seems like a complete idiot.

I believe the micro fighters are supposed to replace the SW Planets, so there might be hope for $10 pricing. Of course there are no piece counts posted on the pics above, so hard to tell.

I don't get the theory that the coupon not being useable on big stuff is to cut down on resellers.  I would think it would cut down on regular sales as well, meaning less units out there, so that 10% will be made up by increased demand when there are fewer on the market when reselling time comes around.

I have sold Lego though I wouldn't classify myself as reseller (I've probably sold 2 or 3 sets while I own hundreds.) and I know it's certainly affecting me.  I still haven't bought the Town Hall set (It was next on my list for big Lego buys when the coupon rule came down and now i refuse to buy it).  I haven't bought this years Christmas set for the same reason.  That new Maersk set is going to be in the same boat.  

Not getting the larger sets also will have the effect of breaking my desire to have all of a line and likely mean I buy less in the long run.  It's a lot easier to pass on mediocre sets when I don't have an irrational desire to "have them all".  I haven't been in a Lego store since they made the coupon not work on big ticket items and I don't see any need to go back.  They were the only thing that really got me i those places.  

yep, that's him.
He's so fucking stupid. One post he is like "This is why resellers won't become official partners with LEGO" and then the next post says "LEGO doesn't want resellers". It's like what the hell?

LEGO doesn't care about resellers one bit, they probably make up 3% of all sales if that. However I think they they say that the big sets sell for so much that they figure you can buy them at full price. But like you said Crowbb I don't think they really thought it out. Less people will buy the sets so the sets might sit around longer, but once retire there could be less around so the price will go higher.

The main thing is LEGO's money went to their head. The last several years they have been doing really well after almost being sold. They gave their workers Christmas gifts the last few yard that were really nice. Now this year no 10% off coupon (which got everyone to go to the store) and I haven't seen anything about free Christmas LEGO or discounts for it's workers.

My guess is that LEGO has very low margins on the big sets and that is why no coupons. As has been said before it is probably short sighted. Making little or no money on the big sets may drive overall sales of the smaller sets. If sales decrease there is a good chance coupons will come back. They are probably experimenting to see what makes them the most money.

The problem with coupons and discounting is that people come to expect them and drive their shopping off of them. They may be trying to spread revenues across the year rather than having big spikes when people know a discount is coming. Coke is a good example of this. People know that soda goes on sale every month or two. They stock up on a couple of months of soda when the price is low become they have come to expect it.

He's so fucking stupid. One post he is like "This is why resellers won't become official partners with LEGO" and then the next post says "LEGO doesn't want resellers". It's like what the hell?

LEGO doesn't care about resellers one bit, they probably make up 3% of all sales if that. However I think they they say that the big sets sell for so much that they figure you can buy them at full price. But like you said Crowbb I don't think they really thought it out. Less people will buy the sets so the sets might sit around longer, but once retire there could be less around so the price will go higher.

The main thing is LEGO's money went to their head. The last several years they have been doing really well after almost being sold. They gave their workers Christmas gifts the last few yard that were really nice. Now this year no 10% off coupon (which got everyone to go to the store) and I haven't seen anything about free Christmas LEGO or discounts for it's workers.
The 10% coupon thing was definitely a bummer. I've tried to wrap my head around it, but it just doesn't make much sense. I've had customers refuse purchases after I've explained the coupon doesn't apply. I have a funny feeling this exception won't last too long and they'll revert the coupon back.

As soon as I receive my company gift I'll post a picture for you guys. Here's hoping for something just as epic as the Kirk's House.

Just a question for everybody - have you seen any advent calendars anywhere - City, Friends or Star Wars? In years past I was able to get one within the first couple days of December for half off at the Lego store? However this year I haven't seen any of the calendars at any retailers in at least a month. So either they got really popular and sold out quickly this year or they produced less this year because I have at least seen last years Star Wars at TRU "clearance" within the last couple weeks and City probably earlier this year.

MY TRU I think might have had the City one, but the Star Wars one from last year was still around.

I think the problem is LEGO got greedy and out priced the sets from anyone's range last year.  There was so many still floating around LEGO probably made less.  I think this will be a year they won't be on clearance.  It happens every few years, they recount how many thy need and don't make extras.  Sad because now I won't have one for next year.

So you are still getting a gift?  I wanted to work at a LEGO Store just for the gifts.  :lol:  But I'm too far away from them and don't want to move for a seasonal job.  Have they given you a 40% off an item day?  I remember they did that last year for year round employees.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen the Advent Calendars recently but I haven't been looking. I'm pretty sure they are all sold out online (lego.com). With regards to the gift it probably doesn't help when there are a ton of them on eBay for $200 - $800.

MY TRU I think might have had the City one, but the Star Wars one from last year was still around.

I think the problem is LEGO got greedy and out priced the sets from anyone's range last year. There was so many still floating around LEGO probably made less. I think this will be a year they won't be on clearance. It happens every few years, they recount how many thy need and don't make extras. Sad because now I won't have one for next year.

So you are still getting a gift? I wanted to work at a LEGO Store just for the gifts. :lol: But I'm too far away from them and don't want to move for a seasonal job. Have they given you a 40% off an item day? I remember they did that last year for year round employees.
We should be receiving our gifts sometime this week or next. I'll tell you something, being that you're an enthusiast (I'm assuming you're the user formerly known as BigDaddy) then you should apply and work at Lego. Aside from the crazy holiday season it's the best retail job I've had. I'm not sure about a 40% off an item day, but we do get 50% off anything we want every three months and that hasn't changed.

If I lived anywhere close to one I would.  The four Boston ones are 80 mies away and the one in Rochester NY is actually in Victor, 15 miles south and I'd have to rely on bus, plus I'd lose my heath insurance by moving out of the state.

However I think it would be awesome to work there, 50% off is nice, I know everything about everything LEGO (Besides the TV shows and Hero Factory).  But you miss on... I HATE!!!! 98% of children and 99.8% of parents.  :lol:

Too bad I didn't apply in November, I could get free gift and that would give me like an extra week's pay on eBay.  :)

Speaking of which, without numbers, is the pay decent or just low end retail pay (aka Burger King)?

If I lived anywhere close to one I would. The four Boston ones are 80 mies away and the one in Rochester NY is actually in Victor, 15 miles south and I'd have to rely on bus, plus I'd lose my heath insurance by moving out of the state.

However I think it would be awesome to work there, 50% off is nice, I know everything about everything LEGO (Besides the TV shows and Hero Factory). But you miss on... I HATE!!!! 98% of children and 99.8% of parents. :lol:

Too bad I didn't apply in November, I could get free gift and that would give me like an extra week's pay on eBay. :)

Speaking of which, without numbers, is the pay decent or just low end retail pay (aka Burger King)?
LOL, all we do is cater to children and the parents that are willing to pay loads of money for their child's addiction. So in regards to that, it probably wouldn't be your dream job after all. They pay much better than many retail companies and we always get first dibs on minifigures and sets before they hit the shelves. It's really a fun and chills company to work for.

If it's chill then I could put up with stupid people.  I worked at TRU at night and it was fine besides my boss would yell at me for putting things in the wrong order when I was following the setup the guy she loved had going on.  So I redid it and threw half the things beside the display.  Yay for seasonal jobs.

Then I worked at Lowes, which would be fine if we didn't have 15 bosses and corporate yelling at us.  I worked at a farm garden center which was awesome (free produce), rich people love me, but the company was a cult.  "You belong to the farmily".  fucking crazy place paid everyone exactly the same.

Also I like kids even I can hand them off to their parents, but if I need to host a Birthday Party I'd have to be drunk.  :)

So really, I have low standards.  If the pay is decent that really helps because the Rochester area is very cheap, but health care in this stupid shithole country of ours is so fucked up.  One payer system idiots!!!

*End of rant*

**BREAKING** Official LEGO employee gift 2013 -

6809270684_b64ed5d570.jpg

There you go Tito :razz:

(I know, I know .. they were drinking glasses a few years ago ;) )

Green Giant, you are in Rochester now? I use to live there a few years ago and now I'm in Syracuse. I wish Destiny in Syracuse gets a Lego store. I would be there all the time filling up PAB cups.

Green Giant, you are in Rochester now? I use to live there a few years ago and now I'm in Syracuse. I wish Destiny in Syracuse gets a Lego store. I would be there all the time filling up PAB cups.
I'm not, but I have a good friend who lives there for a few more years of ged school and I met and dated somewhere there. I've been many times. I like the city besides the winters and the racist issues going on in town (If you didn't see it you were sleeping.) :lol: However if I had free health care I'd move there.

I don't know about itztitoyo, but they started me at $8.50/hr when I worked there a couple years ago. I assume he makes more since he's been there forever, at least compared to the turnover in the store by my parents' house. Also, since I started right after Thanksgiving I wasn't given the holiday gift (I think it was the glasses/duck that year?) or access to the 50% discount day because I hadn't been there long enough.

I found something for Big Daddy, an opportunity. Now get your ass in skool.
I went to school for landscape design and management. I just hate landscaping so I tell people it's in Horticulture. :)

TRU has a "50% off" sale, including weird old things like the Space Center launch van ($12, bought one) and the $20 Monster Fighter werewolf set for $12.50 and the Hearse (is that spelled right?) set for $20, sadly none left, the orange GS mech for $22.50 again.

And AWD has a ton of expensive crap right now and I started looking and saw The Attack on the whatever(I'm a real LotR fan, you can tell.) for less than $10!!!

I have the the search saved.  You search AWD for LEGO then get rid of the books and games and crap and what's left is 100% LEGO.

I went to school for landscape design and management. I just hate landscaping so I tell people it's in Horticulture. :)

TRU has a "50% off" sale, including weird old things like the Space Center launch van ($12, bought one) and the $20 Monster Fighter werewolf set for $12.50 and the Hearse (is that spelled right?) set for $20, sadly none left, the orange GS mech for $22.50 again.

And AWD has a ton of expensive crap right now and I started looking and saw The Attack on the whatever(I'm a real LotR fan, you can tell.) for less than $10!!!
LEGO The Hobbit Attack of the Wargs?? Man...thats about all I buy is the LotR sets and Super Heroes. I missed all the Harry Potter sets but I am trying to get all of LotR/Hobbit sets. Thats one I've been holding off on, I think its normally $30-35, so under $10 would have been awesome :(.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but the Fire Brigade has been discontinued. First modular building set to be discontinued since the Green Grocer. Never got around to picking one up, and kind of regret it now.

Just a question for everybody - have you seen any advent calendars anywhere - City, Friends or Star Wars? In years past I was able to get one within the first couple days of December for half off at the Lego store? However this year I haven't seen any of the calendars at any retailers in at least a month. So either they got really popular and sold out quickly this year or they produced less this year because I have at least seen last years Star Wars at TRU "clearance" within the last couple weeks and City probably earlier this year.
There is a Friends advent calendar on AWD if you really want one.

I went to TRU today, and they also have the SpongeBob Bikini Bottom Party for $30, the GS Giant Bug thing for $35, and a couple of Technic sets for 50% off. They also had the LR Bank set for $32, but I loaded up on those at Target when they were $26.

The Hearse was totally gone. Picked up SpongeBob since I missed it on Amazon for that price. The GS Bug thing is tempting, but I just don't know what I'd do with it, or the pieces.

Is Fire Brigade confirmed or just a rumor? I haven't heard or read anything other than your post.
Not officially but there is a lot of speculation because various retailers are running out of stock lately and the set has been available for a while.

I was organizing my instruction books yesterday and I found a catalog from 2009. It was depressing to look through because on 2 of the pages was Green Grocer, Cafe Corner, Market Street, and Town Plan. I had the opportunity to buy those and didn't get a single one. What I would do to go back and invest in those.

bread's done
Back