LEGO Deals 3

Hey guys, you might know this. My brother and I each want our own Martian Manhunter minifig. He already made an order from the online Lego Store, but could I get one too if I made an order there? We share an address, so I wasn't sure if they had some weird "one per household" thing going on for promotional items.
Yes you can...i just got two in the mail today from two separate orders on the very same account.

It wasn't until the movie came out that you couldn't find them anywhere. If Lego is smart they would milk the shit out of this one.
They aren't.

The mini figures are gone for me. They are already having issues making enough Movie sets and they won't return for at least a month. Which is going to cause issues with making enough of the first series of Mixels. LEGO needs to stop making so many sets and go back 15-20 years when sets had a three year life span.

I'm really sick of this limited time bullshit.

Hey guys, you might know this. My brother and I each want our own Martian Manhunter minifig. He already made an order from the online Lego Store, but could I get one too if I made an order there? We share an address, so I wasn't sure if they had some weird "one per household" thing going on for promotional items.
Yeah, always the way to go with this. A couple years ago I got a whole bunch of those Hulk figures by breaking my orders up into $50(?) increments and selling those off to help pay for the sets. Obviously kept 1 since those were awesome figures.

You could also see if your bro gets lucky and they throw 2 in there.

They aren't.

The mini figures are gone for me. They are already having issues making enough Movie sets and they won't return for at least a month. Which is going to cause issues with making enough of the first series of Mixels. LEGO needs to stop making so many sets and go back 15-20 years when sets had a three year life span.

I'm really sick of this limited time bullshit.
It makes any sense of collecting a minefield. I'm lucky enough to have a great Lego store within 30 minutes which has been instrumental in finding good enough deals to buy stuff I wouldn't usually buy. They also have all Lego Movie sets regularly though I'm waiting for sales to start purchasing any more of those.

The fact that I see so many refreshes in the City collection pretty much closed the door on any interest I would have in continuing those. Hearing that some of the Star Wars refreshes aren't even as good as the old ones made me feel the same about those too.

TnB posted the lost of Simpsons figures. Looks good, but wish there was Otto, Skinner and Crabapple. The rest of the Flanders family would be nice too. 3.99 a pack may be pricing me out though.

TnB posted the lost of Simpsons figures. Looks good, but wish there was Otto, Skinner and Crabapple. The rest of the Flanders family would be nice too. 3.99 a pack may be pricing me out though.
It's a $16 increase for the set, which seems like a lot. Why didn't they go with a more palatable $3.50 or something? If this is the new price for all minifigures, that's a real downer. I really like them, but I found the current price point already kind of a lot.

I'm lying to myself if I say I won't get them. I'm probably also lying if I say I'll wait for a sale, given doing so for either of the last two series wasn't really possible. (The first time TRU had a sale, they had exactly 0 Series 11 figures.)

Still, I'm not really happy about the price. With this + fewer discounts + no coupon, it just means I spend less since I start picking and choosing more.

I haven't bought minifigs since series 5, it got to the point where they were just coming out with them just for the hell of it. I missed out on a lot of cool ones but it was getting too out of hand.

When the Simpson's minifigs come out, is there a way to tell which one is in which bag?

Or alternatively, what's the cheapest way to buy one of each (outside of pure luck).

You feel up the bags they are in for the hair.
If they have ever done any focus testing on the minifigs, they may have realized that a reasonable proportion of people do that.The fact that there would be far fewer "losing" purchases coupled with the added licensing costs might be why they had the dollar mark up. Either way they can count me out.

If they have ever done any focus testing on the minifigs, they may have realized that a reasonable proportion of people do that.The fact that there would be far fewer "losing" purchases coupled with the added licensing costs might be why they had the dollar mark up. Either way they can count me out.
It better only be the Simpsons mini figures that are $4, but I have a feeling after how the movie ones sold they will overthink think and make them all $4 and in that case I'm out. Most of the really useful pieces, like the pretzel and space gun, are in regular sets.

I'm passing on most of the Simpsons ones, unless they look really amazing or have a piece I want, but not have awesome hair pieces is a real turnoff.

*I wanted Marge's hair!*

The novelty of the minifigs for me was the unique pieces. Thankfully they are appearing in sets as mentioned. No way I'm going to feel up bags for $4 figs.

For those of you in the Atlanta area, there's a big toy show next weekend.  http://www.thegreatatlantatoyconvention.com/, it used to be a GI Joe only show but they changed the format and added a day.

There will be all kinds of toys there and maybe some Lego.  I'm going to have a table for GIJoe but I'm not bringing Lego the first day.  However, I will take set requests and bring them the second day.  I have a ridiculous selection of Lego and they take up too much space to display.  

I've got a UCS Falcon I thought about bringing but it's a beast!

It better only be the Simpsons mini figures that are $4, but I have a feeling after how the movie ones sold they will overthink think and make them all $4 and in that case I'm out. Most of the really useful pieces, like the pretzel and space gun, are in regular sets.

I'm passing on most of the Simpsons ones, unless they look really amazing or have a piece I want, but not have awesome hair pieces is a real turnoff.

*I wanted Marge's hair!*
It's confirmed that $4 is the new standard. Series 12, the one after the Simpsons line, is also $4.

http://www.neoape.com/increased-prices-for-lego-collectable-minifigure-series/

I am not planning on picking up any Simpsons sets or figs, but $4 for a minifig seems crazy. $3 is the limit for me on the minifigs, any more than that and I don't care who the characters are, I wouldn't want to spend 20 on just 5 figs.

That price is ridiculous, these things started out at $1.99 just 4 years ago and have now doubled in price. I thought the raise to 2.99 was a bit ridiculous given how little is in there but $3.99 just feels like a price grab. I wonder what the TRU tax will put them at.

I get that oil prices affect Lego's cost but it's pretty clear they're exploiting their market position and dramatically increasing their prices. For example, when I went to sell my airport(7894, from 2006) a couple months ago I happened to notice that the original price on it was only $79.99. Most recently the Cargo "Terminal" that's out now costs $100, comes with 50 less pieces, and the only building included is a halfass control tower. Even if you only look at piece count, that's more than a 25% increase in price over 8 years. God forbid you're a Star Wars fan, your tax has gone up even more.

For those of you in the Atlanta area, there's a big toy show next weekend. http://www.thegreatatlantatoyconvention.com/, it used to be a GI Joe only show but they changed the format and added a day.

There will be all kinds of toys there and maybe some Lego. I'm going to have a table for GIJoe but I'm not bringing Lego the first day. However, I will take set requests and bring them the second day. I have a ridiculous selection of Lego and they take up too much space to display.

I've got a UCS Falcon I thought about bringing but it's a beast!
I just watched a Youtube video on the Falcon UCS. That thing is unbelievable. There's not way I would have been able to convince my wife to spend 500 bucks on it in 2007 (though seeing it go for 3,000 now would have vindicated me) but I still really hope to see more stuff like that. I really wish some of the modular buildings approached that level.

The show looks awesome. I might bring my kids if it makes sense. Can you find good deals on anything there? Are there any dealers selling old Lego sets?

That price is ridiculous, these things started out at $1.99 just 4 years ago and have now doubled in price. I thought the raise to 2.99 was a bit ridiculous given how little is in there but $3.99 just feels like a price grab. I wonder what the TRU tax will put them at.

I get that oil prices affect Lego's cost but it's pretty clear they're exploiting their market position and dramatically increasing their prices. For example, when I went to sell my airport(7894, from 2006) a couple months ago I happened to notice that the original price on it was only $79.99. Most recently the Cargo "Terminal" that's out now costs $100, comes with 50 less pieces, and the only building included is a halfass control tower. Even if you only look at piece count, that's more than a 25% increase in price over 8 years. God forbid you're a Star Wars fan, your tax has gone up even more.
Yep, which is the reason I just can't stomach the main series that are clearly getting it from both sides and why I'm getting my son of collecting City stuff. Less pieces and more money seems like a bad deal. The Star Wars UCS stuff seems cool but those are a pretty sizable investment and for reuse your stuff with disproportionate amount of gray pieces.

$4 per minfig when Mixels are $5???

Hey Lego...go fuck yourself.
Shh, or the Mixels will go up to 6.99.

But yeah -- that's pretty much how I feel. A minifigure for $3.99 or 50-70 pieces for $4.99. Mixels have more pieces, more packaging, and come fewer to a box. So the justification for higher minifigure pieces is....?

Lego might actually get a backlash from this one. If people are not willing to pay $3.99 for licensed, special molds, why are they going to pay it for just another set of minifigures?

They may be riding high on the Lego Movie right now, but it's never a good idea to start turning off your customers. It looked like minifigures were not doing as well (until the Movie ones), and this increased price isn't going to spur sales.

The mini figures were doing fine, but I think three series a year is too much.  However we will all buy the next real series because it will have a couple really awesome mini figures, we will just wait for a sale, they will always be on sale for 2 for $5 or 2 for $6.  I can't wait to see the TRU price.  It's why I never buy a  Friends bag, why  spend $5 on an animal that I can get in a $10-$20 set with so many more pieces?

Oh well, LEGO keeps this up I almost have enough pieces for life.

I tried to grab a Republic Gunship from AWD for $80 but it was gone before I could checkout.
My local Walmart has it in stock for $70. Another nearby apparently had it for $40. Assuming that didn't last long.

YMMV, but you can check the mobile app for the price at your local store. And it has to be the mobile app.

The website doesn't have the same feature.

The mini figures were doing fine, but I think three series a year is too much. However we will all buy the next real series because it will have a couple really awesome mini figures, we will just wait for a sale, they will always be on sale for 2 for $5 or 2 for $6. I can't wait to see the TRU price. It's why I never buy a Friends bag, why spend $5 on an animal that I can get in a $10-$20 set with so many more pieces?

Oh well, LEGO keeps this up I almost have enough pieces for life.
Do all the friends pets or whatever get released in other sets? I don't remember seeing the penguin or tiger cub or either turtle or the deer in other sets, though they may be coming out later? In any case they make great cheap and easy builds for my daughter, so I'm fine with them.

I've also very rarely seen sales on minifig blind bags. Did they make some kind of announcement about the price of minifigs going up? I would assume the extra buck is for the license and maybe the unique head sculpts...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's confirmed that $4 is the new standard. Series 12, the one after the Simpsons line, is also $4.

http://www.neoape.com/increased-prices-for-lego-collectable-minifigure-series/

Do all the friends pets or whatever get released in other sets? I don't remember seeing the penguin or tiger cub or either turtle or the deer in other sets, though they may be coming out later? In any case they make great cheap and easy builds for my daughter, so I'm fine with them.

I've also very rarely seen sales on minifig blind bags. Did they make some kind of announcement about the price of minifigs going up? I would assume the extra buck is for the license and maybe the unique head sculpts...
2nd poster, see link in first quoted post.

Also, my son just got into Legos after I had a ton as a kid, which in turn, got me back into Legos. We have all of the movie minifigs, and wanted to start getting more moving forward, but for 1 dollar more a bag, we're out (unless there's 1 or 2 we REALLY want). He's only 6, but he won't be too bummed since he learned that a "blind" bag isn't really all that blind if you know what you're doing. He actually helped a lady find WWWyldstyle the last time we were at the Lego store.

I just watched a Youtube video on the Falcon UCS. That thing is unbelievable. There's not way I would have been able to convince my wife to spend 500 bucks on it in 2007 (though seeing it go for 3,000 now would have vindicated me) but I still really hope to see more stuff like that. I really wish some of the modular buildings approached that level.

The show looks awesome. I might bring my kids if it makes sense. Can you find good deals on anything there? Are there any dealers selling old Lego sets?
This is the first year it's a general toy show so I'm unsure of what people are bringing. If my wife were here to help I would have considered getting a booth instead of just the table and really shown up in force.

I'm going to put a sign up for Lego set requests the first day and bring them the second day. I'll have some printed contact cards for anyone that can't come back since I'm local.

Let me know what sets you're looking for and I'll bring them or we can meet since you're near edgewood. My entire inventory is unopened retired sets from almost every theme going back ten years including Star Wars, Harry Potter, Ninjago, Pirates of the Caribbean, Toy Story, City, Castle, Space and more. I've got some really rare pieces too like a Cloud City and Cafe Corner. I just sold my UCS Blockade Runner last week. I guess I'm a "dealer/reseller" but I'm willing to beat eBay pricing on a lot of stuff, cash is king after all!

TRU about three weeks ago had the mini figures for 2 for $5, it was snowy then and I never made it. TRU has every series on sale at least once, and around Christmas it's normally several times.

The price card at the toy fair could be wrong, but it's doubtful. LEGO will not release the official price of the mini figures until about a week or two after their actual release but right before their official release.

I'm in no rush to get the Friend's animals. The same happens with the parts in the mini figure series, LEGO waits a little while, normally the following year so they don't screw up sales of the blind packs. The only ones I want are the deer, the turtle and the squirrel, and the surreal is in at least one real set and I'm sure the others will be in the future.

Maybe in 2015 when the new LEGO MMO game fails that the price will go down. The said thing is the mini figures are no longer sold in stores in a growing amount of countries in Europe, including Denmark! That's expanding with the series after the Simpsons.

TRU had it two for 5?  I don't remember that.  Was that part of the buy 1 get 1 40% off or whatever, or was it a separate deal?  I remember the last sale like that didn't apply to movie purchases, and the movie-specific one before that, all the TRU around here had scalped the price of the minifigs and it wasn't much of a deal.

I will say that the movie minifigs even had their prices raised at Legoland California... i think they were either 3.50 or 3.99.  They're no longer owned by Lego, but I don't remember their store ever being above MSRP before.

Yeah, the wife is pretty good and id'ing mini figs in bags. has about a 90% rate. 

What is the deal with the Mixels? I've seen them in stores but have no idea what their story is.

I'd like to get those Simpsons mini figs but $4 is getting to be pricey.

I need to pick up that Cloud Cuckoolander Lego Movie set for my daughter. She really enjoyed the movie.

at 4 dollars, i am washing my hands of the mini-figure sets.   Will have to start buying used on ebay i guess.

I did see that the lego store started to get the plain white architecture set back in.  Guy at the store said that there was a problem with the first set, but didnt know exactly what it was.

My local Walmart has it in stock for $70. Another nearby apparently had it for $40. Assuming that didn't last long.

YMMV, but you can check the mobile app for the price at your local store. And it has to be the mobile app.

The website doesn't have the same feature.
I've read people talk about that, how does it work?

I've read people talk about that, how does it work?
In the mobile app, search for the set you're looking for. Find your item. On the item page, under the online price, there's a button for "more stores". Click that, and a list of nearby stores with their price in store will come up.

I found wheres my pants guy and Velma Staplebot yesterday.  I only need Shakespeare and the lady with the cat now.  Oh and a few weeks ago I got the LEGO Minifigures: Character Encyclopedia with a minifigure included.

In the mobile app, search for the set you're looking for. Find your item. On the item page, under the online price, there's a button for "more stores". Click that, and a list of nearby stores with their price in store will come up.
what device/app are you using? mine does not work this way (iphone). It has the option to check local store availability then you can select a store and go to store mode you use their scanner which will show the current price. Mine does not list any prices for any store except the online price.

AWD has / had some deals.

The Hobbit Dol Guldur Ambush 79011 was $13

Fire Truck $13

The Council of Elrond $19

I was going to buy them all but the Ambush was gone when I added the fire truck. Amazon has made it more difficult to add the items.

Castle Forest Ambush is $7.50

Ninjago Cole Earth Driller 70502  $12 (Has been $10-12.99 for months)

Ninja Turtles Kraang Lab Escape 79100 $8

So went to TRU for the first time since the last Lego sale.  They had several of their 24.99 exclusives (the Chima eagle tower and the LOTR barrel escape) but I passed on both.  They actually had movie figs, but they were 4.50 a piece;  getting in on the price hike early as usual.  I was really tempted to go search for scribble cop but resisted.  They have B1G1 50% off on Friends, City, and Ninjago but all were overpriced. 

They did have an entire display of Mixels, though, by far the most I've seen in a single place, with multiples of each one.  I didn't check the price but at least a few weeks ago they weren't marked up at all.

I also noticed the local Target has begun raising some lego prices over MSRP;  the dragon castle set thingee was 65 bucks or somesuch nonsense, and Jabba's barge was ~140.  Geez. I guess this isn't new but it's the first time I remember seeing it at this particular Target.

Also double points at lego shop the first half of April.

bread's done
Back