LEGO Deals 3

Ok, allow me to be stupid for a minute... but what is AWD?
All wheel drive

;)

Sorry someone in the gaming section months ago didn't bother to ask, they just thought that. :lol:

The new big cafe set or whatever it is is $138.

The big yellow movie mech is $45. That's about 20% off probably be that cheap in the future too.

And the big boat from the movie is $202.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really funny that today's discussion is about the Chinese knockoffs.  I was coming in here out of the blue to show what I got the other week for about $4 shipped (eBay):

hulks_zps70ef3af5.jpeg

Not only did the set of three cost about 10% of what you'd pay from LEGO resellers, but 2/3 of them don't even exist!  They each came with a wrench which I promptly threw out, because who wants a knockoff wrench?

Regardless of the higher quality of knockoffs being made now, these are even more close to perfect since they barely have any moving parts.  The colors, plastic, and paint job on all 3 are spot-on.  My son was (to my mild dismay), having quite lengthy and brutal Hulk Vs. Hulk Vs. Hulk battles for the first few days these guys arrived.

There are all kinds of sets available for ~$5, I probably only scratched the surface by searching "superhero minifigures" (FYI: leave out the word LEGO, they never use that word).  Even saw a complete TMNT set with all four turtles on skateboards with weapons, shredder, and splinter for about $5. (you have to win the always-renewing auctions, don't settle for the higher BIN priced ones)

My days of paying $5 for one minifigure or $15 for a set because I like the 2 minifigs it comes with is officially 100% over.

My son found those Hulks on Ebay, and I let him place a bid (because I knew he wouldn't win!). 

From what you say, it looks like I should go ahead and get them.

I don't have an ebay account and I hate PayPal.  :/

Wow.  I'm looking at them on eBay, I can't even tell they are fake besides the fact I know they haven't release a lot of these yet.

It's really funny that today's discussion is about the Chinese knockoffs. I was coming in here out of the blue to show what I got the other week for about $4 shipped (eBay):

hulks_zps70ef3af5.jpeg

Not only did the set of three cost about 10% of what you'd pay from LEGO resellers, but 2/3 of them don't even exist! They each came with a wrench which I promptly threw out, because who wants a knockoff wrench?

Regardless of the higher quality of knockoffs being made now, these are even more close to perfect since they barely have any moving parts. The colors, plastic, and paint job on all 3 are spot-on. My son was (to my mild dismay), having quite lengthy and brutal Hulk Vs. Hulk Vs. Hulk battles for the first few days these guys arrived.

There are all kinds of sets available for ~$5, I probably only scratched the surface by searching "superhero minifigures" (FYI: leave out the word LEGO, they never use that word). Even saw a complete TMNT set with all four turtles on skateboards with weapons, shredder, and splinter for about $5. (you have to win the always-renewing auctions, don't settle for the higher BIN priced ones)

My days of paying $5 for one minifigure or $15 for a set because I like the 2 minifigs it comes with is officially 100% over.
Yeah I have been looking at that Red Hulk, theres an awesomely good looking The Thing, Phoenix copy, then Odin and Winter Soldier that LEGO never made and a couple others. Good tip about not searching LEGO, didnt think about that. I was hoping to find some Harry Potter ones but no luck.

Yeah I have been looking at that Red Hulk, theres an awesomely good looking The Thing, Phoenix copy, then Odin and Winter Soldier that LEGO never made and a couple others. Good tip about not searching LEGO, didnt think about that. I was hoping to find some Harry Potter ones but no luck.
Browse categories and look at building toys, sort by price lowest to highest. The lowest auctions are all the knockoff minifig series. Honestly I have gotten most of them. Just need to get those wrestling figures. Saves me from buying sets I don't want for minifig, and a super cheap way to get exclusives. Throw in the ones that haven't been made and these are well worth keeping an eye on. If only they would make a Silver Surfer. Seems super easy to do, and he has always been my favorite Marvel hero.

Hit the LEGO store in Nashville last night. The kiddos picked up 4 of the new Friends Jungle sets. Haven't seen those elsewhere yet. The selection on the brick wall was solid. Got a cup of pink, purple and baby blue pieces to add to the collection.

My one-day adventure at SDCC was completely unsuccessful. Got there at around 6:30 waiting for the hall to open. Didn't get into the LEGO line before it was capped to buy the exclusives despite heading for it first thing.

Then the wife and I got to the drawing about and hour early and got a good spot in line before it wrapped down the stairs.
Unfortunately, neither of us won a Collector figure despite the odds supposedly being slightly better than 50/50. I must say that the drawing was very smooth and well put-together.

Still had fun at the Con though, despite it being pretty exhausting.

I didn't think to post here at the time, but I found The Simpsons' House marked down to $139.9X a little over a week ago when some of these clearances were still showing up. They only had one. I figure it had to have been an online return, right? I don't believe any Target has ever had that set on the shelves.

Anyway, I grabbed that big boy under my arm QUICK. Extra 5% off for using my Red Card. Also got a small MoS set for, I think, 50% off there. GREAT SUCCESS!

$10 off a $40 purchase at Target if you use in store pick-up. Not bad if you want some newer sets. Limit is 4 per household I think.
Save $10 on your $40 store pickup order

Save $10 when you spend $40 on items that qualify for store pickup, order online and pick up in store. Items not available for store pickup will not count towards $40 minimum. $40 subtotal based on merchandise subtotal before tax, if applicable. Offer valid for 4 transactions only. Offer not valid with store coupons. The $10 discount is allocated based on the size of your basket. If qualifying item(s) in your order is returned, refund value will be reduced by the prorated amount of the item. Online order must be placed by 11:59 PM PST on 8/2/2014 and picked up in store within 4 days.
Small print.

I didn't think to post here at the time, but I found The Simpsons' House marked down to $139.9X a little over a week ago when some of these clearances were still showing up. They only had one. I figure it had to have been an online return, right? I don't believe any Target has ever had that set on the shelves.
Anyway, I grabbed that big boy under my arm QUICK. Extra 5% off for using my Red Card. Also got a small MoS set for, I think, 50% off there. GREAT SUCCESS!
Nice find, yeah it had to be an online order return, stores don't carry them

Is Toys R Us the only national chain that carries Technic sets in-store? I'm thinking of picking up a couple and I don't have a Lego store nearby.

Yeah some crazy LEGO fans (Eurobricks) seem to frown at using other companies' pieces yet will buy specialized weapons and hair and such without an issue.
I don't get that at all and it's the same as brothers-brick. Somebody posted a MOC Buzz Lightyear and there was a huge uproar because the creator had used Mega Bloks parts. The OP hadn't realized it at the time and deeply regretted ever posting it. If you thought it was so good that it was worth a post, then you shouldn't care if it had clone bricks in it. It bothers me how elitist some of these Lego fans are. Like you said, GG, if they were bothered by it, they wouldn't be promoting all the brickarms/custom stuff. Oh that's right, they're getting paid to promote it... :roll:

Regarding those ebay knockoffs, I wonder if they're coming from the same factory as the Lego stuff. I remember reading a while ago about how you could buy Nike sneakers without the swoosh or logos for a tenth of the price of the real thing.

I don't get that at all and it's the same as brothers-brick. Somebody posted a MOC Buzz Lightyear and there was a huge uproar because the creator had used Mega Bloks parts. The OP hadn't realized it at the time and deeply regretted ever posting it. If you thought it was so good that it was worth a post, then you shouldn't care if it had clone bricks in it. It bothers me how elitist some of these Lego fans are. Like you said, GG, if they were bothered by it, they wouldn't be promoting all the brickarms/custom stuff. Oh that's right, they're getting paid to promote it... :roll:

Regarding those ebay knockoffs, I wonder if they're coming from the same factory as the Lego stuff. I remember reading a while ago about how you could buy Nike sneakers without the swoosh or logos for a tenth of the price of the real thing.
I gave up on brothers bricks a long long time ago. They are all crazy fuckers! I understand if it's really odd / off looking color any distracts from the thing, but if not then shut up. I have many knock offs now and the colors match LEGO really well, and LEGO quality has gone down the drain, o what's the big deal?

I love this part of the BB article... Do you think its cheating to use newer LEGO pieces? If not, then you’re just being a fanboy.

I thought it was a decent discussion.  I have to say that I see some of the points.  I also think that a lot of people have tried MegaBloks or other bricks and been burned by them.

In some ways, using MegaBloks is just extending your palette a bit.  In other ways, they can be kind of cheaty for certain things.  One of the reasons I stopped getting MegaBloks and got rid of all the ones I had is that they will just mold whatever is inconvenient to build.  Some of the sets I picked up that I thought would be neat included large sections of walls and buildings that were one piece.  To me, that's a giant cheat and it begs the question why you are even making it a set of building bricks.

I had bought some of those sets because I wanted to use them to build other things, but then I found out I had bought a bunch of facades and large pieces that really couldn't be rebuilt or repurposed easily.

I feel the same way about the Kre-O Enterprise.  Huge parts of that are one piece.  It was simply inconvenient for them to design something, so they fabricated whatever was too difficult to bother with designing.  I think that sucks.  Half the charm and fun comes from figuring out ways to represent things with bricks, not huge custom molded pieces that are otherwise useless.

If someone designs something solely with Lego, then you know they thought about the structure and look of every part of it and didn't cheat for stability or looks.  Of course Lego molds special parts too, but they're much better about it on the whole.

That said, I think if you are going to be picky and complain about MegaBloks, then you shouldn't be using custom parts or anything else.  Be consistent. 

I don't know if it's taboo to post a Mega Bloks deal here, but I picked this up yesterday at my local Wal Mart for $7.00 (was 24.99):

EA584D78-EFED-4FC0-95D6-5C94A6218BFA_zpspecqd9py.jpg

They must have had 10 or 20 of them.

There are a few sets from Target I want. Can I place two orders and pick them up at the same time or do I need to leave the store and come back at a different time? By the sound of it I can do four orders at once.

And other Block deals are fine by me. Cheap building toys are nice no matter the brand.

I don't think anyone is opposed to posting Mega Block or Kreo deals here. I have heard that the Mega Block quality has gotten better in the past couple years

Post away.  It's the most appropriate place for them.  Unless its Best Lock, where the only good deal is never to get any.

My son had a bunch of the Halo sets, and they are decent.  Some instability issues, and a few tolerance issues here and there, but nothing major.  Overall they are good sets and there's a lot of deals to be found.  Target has some on clearance now, too.

Speaking of knock offs, I have seen a few Targets with Nano Blocks, what does everyone think of them?  they were still too expensive for me to buy at 50% off.

I've never heard anyone say anything at all about nano-blocks in general. I keep waiting for them to hit 70% off at Target to give them a try. Come to think about it, my brother in law got me a set for Christmas from Japan of that worlds fair, Eifel looking tower, that I have yet to put together, came with a light up base. Maybe I'll throw that together this weekend.

One of those groupon type deal sites had the knockoff Star Wars/SuperHeroes/TMNT sets for sale on yesterday.  My wife sent me a link to them right after I had read the discussion about the sets here.  Kind of random though.  They wanted $13 plus $2 shipping per set.  Guessing they sell for much cheaper on ebay?  6 figures for $5 or so isn't a bad deal for them if they quality isn't bad.

I've never heard anyone say anything at all about nano-blocks in general. I keep waiting for them to hit 70% off at Target to give them a try. Come to think about it, my brother in law got me a set for Christmas from Japan of that worlds fair, Eifel looking tower, that I have yet to put together, came with a light up base. Maybe I'll throw that together this weekend.
Tat's what my plan was, but the Target that had tons for 50% weeks ago I don't live near.

My wife really likes the nano blocks. We've bought a couple of the smaller sets, but man are they small. I built one once but my hands are huge, so it really took some skill. From the ones I've seen, the instructions aren't as straightforward as Legos, but they're good builds.

Target has a bunch of the Call of Duty MegaBlok Helicopter.  I'm waiting for it to go 70%....my son likes a few of those. 

Still looking for a Mini Cooper polybag too ;)

I've built one Nano Blocks set. My biggest complaint is that they aren't studs and tubes; they're studs and slots. Meaning that if you put a 1x4 on top of a 1x2, there's no way to keep them from sliding relative to each other. The 1x2 can just slide back-and-forth. Makes it hard to get everything to properly line up.

Also, they really are incredibly small. Would be tough to build with large hands.

The bigger nano block sets (ones normally priced 19.99 and 24.99) hit 70% off at my store last Thursday. The smaller sets that came in the bags were still only 50%. I picked up a few, haven't built them yet but I did open the eiffel tower set just to check out the bricks. Like everyone else here is saying, they are extremely tiny but are pretty high quality. 

The bigger nano block sets (ones normally priced 19.99 and 24.99) hit 70% off at my store last Thursday. The smaller sets that came in the bags were still only 50%. I picked up a few, haven't built them yet but I did open the eiffel tower set just to check out the bricks. Like everyone else here is saying, they are extremely tiny but are pretty high quality.
My target still has it for 30% off. Do targets price their discounts differently depending on region/location?

In regards to the store exclusive, minimum purchase polys, if its something I want but don't want to spend $75 - $100 to get I usually use ebay or Amazon. Depending on the figure or set I never really spend more than $20 at the most

My target still has it for 30% off. Do targets price their discounts differently depending on region/location?
Yeah, every store is different. Sometimes stores will have similar patterns but especially this summer clearance I have found sets on clearance at one store and not on clearance at all at another store. For some reason it seemed more uniform last year. The only clearance I have found to be standard throughout all stores is the clearance in the seasonal section.

I did the Target store pickup thing. I got Metalbeard's Duel and Man-Bat Attack, since they were both on sale. It worked out to the equivalent of getting Man-Bat Attack for free.

Pickup was easy. There was only one person in front of me in line, and the process was speedy. Totally different world from Wal-Mart's Store Pickup (which I will never ever use again), but I get the feeling that it's still very small potatoes at Target.

They gave me a coupon for $5 off $50, so I may make another pickup order. There wasn't anything else that stood out as a terrific deal, though.

It's all up to the store. I don't think it's regional, although I can say for the ones in my area, none of them hit 50% until very recently. I never had a chance for 50% Legos or Star Trek Catan.

Thanks, I don't buy LEGOs that much, so $99 would be rare. I do want the full-size Mini Cooper, but I have a hard time spending $100 on that. Wife would probably not agree.
I'm in the same boat. I keep debating getting the Mini Cooper and/or the VW T1 Camper Van, but lately I've been leaning toward the larger Technic sets. Being able to play around with gears and motors is more appealing to me these days.

Now, I just need to convince my wife to get this (minus the ugly Volvo badges):

Volvo%20%40%20CONEXPO%20-%20LEGO%20Technic%20Volvo%20L350F%20packaging%5B1%5D.jpg

Just visited my Target and they finally went to 70%! I score Worriz' Combat Lair and Cragger's Command Ship for $48! I don't really care about the Chima stuff, but it gives me a lot of new parts!

I ended up picking up the Call of Duty: Chopper Strike for $9.98 for my son. I also picked up a HALO: Jungle Strike Cyclops for about $4.48 - same with the KRE-O Transformers: Beast Hunters Superion.

bread's done
Back