LEGO Deals 3

I think this has to do more along the lines to combat resellers that return product. How are they keeping track though, are they asking for an ID now?

Picked up the Arctic figure at Target...my son likes it.  I noticed they had some Helicopter poly bags mixed in too......although, I believe those are usually at the checkouts...not sure.

Target doesn't have it either. I thought Lego was getting more of the HH. It's not listed as retired, just sold out. A few weeks ago the description said something about more in stock at a later date. Don't recall when.

Got the Sea Cow because I had $200 in gift cards.
The Sea Cow is a substantially better build than the Haunted House though the Haunted House is more playable. Still the Sea Cow is my favorite overall lego build of everything we have and I imagine it skyrocketing in value over the years so keep the box.

Yeah, I have two girls that would love playing with the Haunted House.  Just balked at the price for too long.  If by some miracle it pops up again, no more hesitating.  lol

I can trying to complete the mixels series 1 set. Anyone willing to help me out if they know a store that has them? We could trade as well.
I had to finish mine at toysrus and get the very last figure off amazon for like ten bucks when series 2 first came out. I decided to buy the whole series 2 and series 3 when they were available so I wouldn't have to go through that again.

AWD changed, it now tells you how many new there are and how many used.  Like the fire truck 60002 is $17.31 new with 152 in stock and one used one for $17.17.

AWD changed, it now tells you how many new there are and how many used. Like the fire truck 60002 is $17.31 new with 152 in stock and one used one for $17.17.
Be careful, though. They list the item prices only, not item plus shipping. For example, that new fire truck is actually $17.31 + $4.99 shipping from a 3rd party seller (for comparison, Amazon wants $19.93 for a new one).

It looks like they are now listing Amazon Marketplace Sellers along with the Amazon Warehouse Deals products.  The 'new' ones are all third party sellers and they all charge shipping, except for a few that are fulfilled by Amazon.

The 'used' ones appear to be Amazon Warehouse Deals.  I don't think this changes very much, except now you can see how many of the 'new' ones have been squirreled away for sale.

I'm not sure I like this.  Right now it doesn't change anything, but I hope they don't clutter up 'used' product with third-party sellers.  AWD has been unreliable enough for me that I wouldn't want any part of that.

I saw a few yellow ones at my TRU this past weekend. I'll see if they're still there when I go back. They only had 2 of the 3 yellow guys, though.

Anyone ever get lucky with a totally mispriced item from Amazon via a 3rd party seller?  I saw a Winter Village set USED for $9.99, but now it has been fixed to $144.....kicking myself for not trying to order it for that price.

Anyone ever get lucky with a totally mispriced item from Amazon via a 3rd party seller? I saw a Winter Village set USED for $9.99, but now it has been fixed to $144.....kicking myself for not trying to order it for that price.
Unless it's Fulfilled by Amazon, it'll probably get caught by the seller before it's shipped. I don't have personal experience with this on Amazon, but I've had it happen on eBay (Deep Discount pricing errors) and Barnes and Noble (3rd party seller had a new $75 book listed at a tenth of the MSRP). In both cases, the orders were cancelled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya know, it's funny. After I posted that, I can't seem to find any anymore, either. Are you looking for any specifically or just all of series 1?
All of series 1. Multiples.

I'll go back on my lunch break today and look for you. The last time I looked at those was last Monday (15th), so I'm not going to try and get your hopes up. But if I do find any, I'll let you know.
Please get back to me with numbers per figure thanks.

I saw a few yellow ones at my TRU this past weekend. I'll see if they're still there when I go back. They only had 2 of the 3 yellow guys, though.
Yes, please thank you.

I need to get 4-6 sets ready for xmas and did not realize these guys were hard to find. I found series 3 pretty easy. Heck, even series 2 is not that common.

I found my parents kept some of my old lego sets at their house.  There were 3 or 4 Castles sets from the 80s that my son enjoyed playing with last time he visited them.  Do these have any type of value now?  The boxes were pretty much intact and the legos have been built so I'm sure there are missing pieces but they looked pretty complete.

I'm currently working a little at TRU and we got in a new Friends polybag.  I have no clue which one, but it's $3.99, might be something to keep an eye out for.

What's the word on Research Institute?  Dead or more on the way?  

It's such a fucking joke that it even needs to be asked. It's a non licensed set that appeals to girls.  There's no reason at all for it to have limited quantities.

GreenGiant is talking about a Friends polybag not the series 5 Friends animals sets. Two different things. Here's a list of all 2014 polybag releases. I don't pay attention to the Friends polys that much but I know I've seen the bakery stand for sure and maybe the flower stand, so it could be any of the other three or four listed.

http://brickset.com/sets/query-1246/page-1

The research institute being limited makes sense because it is an unlicensed set. Other ideas like Back to the Future, Ghostbusters and Minecraft, you know they will sell well because of the wide audience. Knowledgeable Lego collectors, folks who know about the Ideas line, are more inclined to by an unlicensed set than a casual buyer who just walks into the Lego store to buy something. So a conservative production run from TLG makes sense.

What's the word on Research Institute? Dead or more on the way?

It's such a fucking joke that it even needs to be asked. It's a non licensed set that appeals to girls. There's no reason at all for it to have limited quantities.
I think you answered your own question, which is it's a set for girls without a license of a brand. That said, I agree that a company making a bunch of plastic bricks should never have a supply problem.

Rumours are that Canada is having supply issues, aka LEGO doesn't know how to handle being number one toy company.

What LEGO needs to do is stop making so many damn sets a year, there are too many and not enough time to make the bricks needed for the sets they are making.  They had this problem with Friends the first year.  They make three different mini doll themes next year and too many license sets, then LEGO tries to keep to the "core" themes but don't have time/room for them and then we get a year like this year where we don't get space or castle sets.

I think the Friends poly might have been this because I think it said.... -----0116

http://brickset.com/sets/30116-1/Rapunzel-s-Market-Visit

However it said Friends on the box, not Disney Princess.

Rumours are that Canada is having supply issues, aka LEGO doesn't know how to handle being number one toy company.

What LEGO needs to do is stop making so many damn sets a year, there are too many and not enough time to make the bricks needed for the sets they are making. They had this problem with Friends the first year. They make three different mini doll themes next year and too many license sets, then LEGO tries to keep to the "core" themes but don't have time/room for them and then we get a year like this year where we don't get space or castle sets.

I think the Friends poly might have been this because I think it said.... -----0116

http://brickset.com/sets/30116-1/Rapunzel-s-Market-Visit

However it said Friends on the box, not Disney Princess.
That's an old one. My walmart has about two boxes in the clearance aisle right now. It's not even a clearance, since they're still listed at $3.75, but it's been around for a while.

I picked up a Rancor Pit in AWD for like $39....is that a good deal?  I used slow shipping, so I could cancel if I wanted....I wanted that bonus $1 credit for books :)

What's the word on Research Institute? Dead or more on the way?

It's such a fucking joke that it even needs to be asked. It's a non licensed set that appeals to girls. There's no reason at all for it to have limited quantities.
Saw this on brickset:

The shop.LEGO.com (US) page for the Research Institute has been updated recently with the following message: "We apologize, but this item is not currently available on shop.LEGO.com. Limited quantities may be available in October in LEGO Stores."

So, there's hope for you yet if you don't have it, and can get to a US brand store. In Europe, it's still marked as 'sold out'.

Thanks Ben for the news.

Where is your Walmart? I can't find that set anywhere!
Went back today, and the boxes do not have just the Rapunzel poly. They have two of the Friends (not Friends animals) polys sprinkled into those boxes. Still a good size handful of Rapunzels left, at $3.97, not $3.75, so really not on clearance at all.

I picked one up for you. PM me and we can work out the details.

The research institute being limited makes sense because it is an unlicensed set. Other ideas like Back to the Future, Ghostbusters and Minecraft, you know they will sell well because of the wide audience. Knowledgeable Lego collectors, folks who know about the Ideas line, are more inclined to by an unlicensed set than a casual buyer who just walks into the Lego store to buy something. So a conservative production run from TLG makes sense.
No, it really doesn't make sense. Lego announced it to the media and it got wide publicity, in addition to the publicity it got from CUUSOO/Lego Ideas.

It was a very reasonably priced product (even cheap by Lego standards), and they pretty much sold out instantly. Of course it would. That's not conservative. That's complete misjudgement of your product, your market, and your customers. Either Lego is incompetent or they knew that's exactly what would happen.

To be honest, I just don't understand their (lack of) logic here. Just having this product in their stores is a positive thing. It helps sell the Ideas line, defuses the pink/girly Friends issue, and gives parents a genuine educational toy that is also fun. This should have been in every science museum and Lego store in the country. This is a product that could sell well for years.

All of the non-Lego people who have seen my set thought it was awesome and wanted to get one. The idea that it was so briefly on sale is baffling to them. It would have made a great Christmas gift, and not just for kids.

Blandstalker hit it on the head.  This should be sold everywhere.  Museum gift shops is a brilliant idea.  This is an all female set with with nothing but positive role models. My family likes the Friends line but come on, horse farms, beauty salons and high schools are not scientists, paleontologists, and astronomers.  It's just head scratchingly asinine that LEGO can't see this.  This would be an amazing Christmas gift for girls around the globe.

I found my parents kept some of my old lego sets at their house. There were 3 or 4 Castles sets from the 80s that my son enjoyed playing with last time he visited them. Do these have any type of value now? The boxes were pretty much intact and the legos have been built so I'm sure there are missing pieces but they looked pretty complete.
Oh yeah. There is definitely some value there. PM me if you ever wanna move em.

If anyone is preordering the new batman gotham game and doesn't want the plastic man fig, pm me.  I would be interested in trading or buying the fig.

Interestingly my TRU is holding the Friends Animals 5 in the back.  I never figured out what Friends poly I saw the box for and they are selling the Bricktober set for $20, the thing is really a $10 set at most, it's tiny.

Maybe this is old news but I saw some 2015 Lego Movie Sets revealed today. Honestly I'm surprised as I didn't think Lego would see the Movie having much brand presence a year later. That said, I've loved most of the sets because the great price per piece ratio and generally creative design of the sets. The news ones are pretty unimpressive so far. 

No, it really doesn't make sense. Lego announced it to the media and it got wide publicity, in addition to the publicity it got from CUUSOO/Lego Ideas.

It was a very reasonably priced product (even cheap by Lego standards), and they pretty much sold out instantly. Of course it would. That's not conservative. That's complete misjudgement of your product, your market, and your customers. Either Lego is incompetent or they knew that's exactly what would happen.

To be honest, I just don't understand their (lack of) logic here. Just having this product in their stores is a positive thing. It helps sell the Ideas line, defuses the pink/girly Friends issue, and gives parents a genuine educational toy that is also fun. This should have been in every science museum and Lego store in the country. This is a product that could sell well for years.

All of the non-Lego people who have seen my set thought it was awesome and wanted to get one. The idea that it was so briefly on sale is baffling to them. It would have made a great Christmas gift, and not just for kids.
I think you, as we all do, are taking your personal experience (non-Lego people who saw your set) and applying it to TLG business model. Within the context of licensed vs non-licensed sets, the limited run is completely logical. If you look at the history of CUUSO/Ideas line, the licensed sets are produced in higher numbers. Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Minecraft will sell better because of name/brand recognition than unlicensed sets like the research institute, Mars rover. If the research institute was heavily advertised by Lego, say tv commercials for instance, and made known to casual buyers, your point would hold more weight however by and large unlicensed CUUSO/Ideas sets are known mainly to hardcore Lego collectors, people on boards/forums, regular Lego store shoppers The licensed sets are the ones that grab attention and headlines, more likely to be known to mainstream audiences.

I'm sorry children. LEGO can't figure out how to make enough bricks so Santa can't order any sets for Christmas lists. Sure he might be magic and be able to fly around the world in a day, but he doesn't have enough magic to get LEGO to figure out what the fuck they are doing!

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/09/26/lego_shortage_leaves_toy_stores_between_a_block_and_a_hard_place.html
I've seen this referenced by other worry warts on other boards too. What people aren't reading is that Lego is limiting/cutting off orders to INDEPENDENT retailers in CANADA. From my experience independent stores always charge a few bucks over MSRP and I assume its similar in Canada, which is already more expensive for Lego. The headline is, as usual, link bait.

Maybe this is old news but I saw some 2015 Lego Movie Sets revealed today. Honestly I'm surprised as I didn't think Lego would see the Movie having much brand presence a year later. That said, I've loved most of the sets because the great price per piece ratio and generally creative design of the sets. The news ones are pretty unimpressive so far.
70818 Looks like a rehash of previously available stuff (the couch was already in the Metalbeard's Sea Cow set and Emmet's car was a free giveaway at TRU). On the plus side, 4 minifigs is pretty generous considering the size of it (5 if you include Unikitty).

I'll probably get 70819. I really like the sporty design of the cop car in that one, though it looks like the doors don't open.

El Ray are you on the LEGO payroll or just a long time member of Eurobricks?  Because I haven't seen such dedicated spin like the BS you are throwing around in a long time.  It's amazing. 

LEGO is a toy company, if they can't make enough toys for independent retailers than they are seriously in trouble and need to redo their factories.

I knew that would come sooner or later and more than likely from you, not saying that to be contentious, just see the habits and attitudes of who posts here over the years. You hate Eurorbricks?!?!? Funny, you've never mentioned that before : p No, not that it matters, I am not a member there however I do go there for Lego news, along with several other sites. I am not pro-Lego necessarily but am pro-LOGIC/common sense/practicality but that goes to all aspects of life. Sadly, those concepts seem to be lost on the masses. People read a headline and pass it along as fact. Why bother reading a whole story and ya know, analyzing it and processing it for comprehension? I guess I should just resign myself to the age of read part of something, spread misinformation on a message board or social media and make a stink about it there. That's my fault, I forgot where and when we live now.

This "news" will affect 0.000001% of the Lego consumers, if that. Canadians will still be able to buy at Target, Toys R Us, WalMart, Lego stores, Shop at Home and other big chains not just because that's where they are more readily available but because during the holidays these places are going to have the best deals, sales, promos, etc. The indie shop, that already marks things above MSRP, is less likely to have Buy One Get One 40% off, etc.

Yes Lego is a toy company and like all EEEVVVILLL corporations they are looking to make money. It may stun some people to learn that like most aspects of life there is a pecking order (sorry if this is news to you, also Santa is not real) But the big retailers are going to get priority over small indies based on volume , sales, orders placed. During the holidays shoppers are more inclined to go to a big chain, where the deals are.  As is cited in the "news story", Toys R Us, Target, Walmart, etc know the increased popularity of the line due to the movie, thus they are willing to order more for the holiday season, in turn muscling out the indie stores. Not that hard of a concept to grasp...well...

Not surprising that whenever someone offers a dissenting, unpopular take on something its labeled as spin, BS, I'm a Lego apologist, member of some message board that person doesn't like. There is no spin, no BS. Just reason and common sense. Sorry to clutter this thread with junk like that. We now return to your  regularly scheduled internet outrage of the day, already in progress.

I don't quite get why this is such an emotionally charged conversation. A few people wish lego had produced more of the research institute based on the media coverage it got at the time of release. I don't think we have to get so worked up and call each other idiots as a result of that. But you know, I guess we are on the Internet, so let's all be dicks to each other.

I don't quite get why this is such an emotionally charged conversation. A few people wish lego had produced more of the research institute based on the media coverage it got at the time of release. I don't think we have to get so worked up and call each other idiots as a result of that. But you know, I guess we are on the Internet, so let's all be dicks to each other.
And you all have yourself to blame. It was still in stock on S@H for hours on launch day after the Exo-suit had already sold out.

Not sure if mentioned, or if everyone already knows, but it's double VIP points in October. And there's a Christmas themed mini-set with $99 purchases.

bread's done
Back