LEGO Deals 3

I'm relatively new to the Lego scene. Im thinking about getting the imperial star destroyer and millennium falcon for Christmas. They're currently $119 a piece on Amazon. Are there generally better deals on sets this big towards the holiday? I don't see either of these in many stores and was wondering if it'd be worth it to just order now or should I wait? I don't have a Lego store near me if that makes a difference.

I'm relatively new to the Lego scene. Im thinking about getting the imperial star destroyer and millennium falcon for Christmas. They're currently $119 a piece on Amazon. Are there generally better deals on sets this big towards the holiday? I don't see either of these in many stores and was wondering if it'd be worth it to just order now or should I wait? I don't have a Lego store near me if that makes a difference.
You don't see them in many stores? In New Jersey I see them in every big box retailer there is.

Saying that, I'd wait for holiday deals or if you are willing to chance it, clearance after the holidays.

[quote name="tophrman" post="12126859" timestamp="1412019632"]And you all have yourself to blame. It was still in stock on S@H for hours on launch day after the Exo-suit had already sold out.[/quote] That's not entirely cool. I'd wager to say that the majority of the target market (parents of young girls) are not "on the button" every single day waiting for stock of a Lego product. There are much huger priorities in life for parents that are interested in their child's upbringing, including but not limited to child care, homework, schooling , nutrition, and it goes on and on.

"You all have yourself to blame" is not very constructive or helpful to a frustrated parent trying to do their child good.

I think the best communities try to be respectful to each other. Obviously I'm not anyone to dictate any rules nor am I enforcing any, I'm just stating my personal opinion here. I understand the Internet is a place where negativity runs rampant, but the best communities don't need that kind of attitude.

A set was available for a few hours on a single day and that's it?  That's what we're sticking to?   :lol:  Come on, even the most staunch TLG defender has to see the folly in that stance.   

That being said, if anyone lives near or visits a LEGO store (I'm 1.5 hours away from one) and sees the Research Institute, I would be your biggest fan if you could hook me up with a couple (I have 2 girls).

It's pathetic that it comes to begging strangers on the internet to hook a person up for a $20 box of plastic bricks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you, as we all do, are taking your personal experience (non-Lego people who saw your set) and applying it to TLG business model. Within the context of licensed vs non-licensed sets, the limited run is completely logical. If you look at the history of CUUSO/Ideas line, the licensed sets are produced in higher numbers. Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Minecraft will sell better because of name/brand recognition than unlicensed sets like the research institute, Mars rover. If the research institute was heavily advertised by Lego, say tv commercials for instance, and made known to casual buyers, your point would hold more weight however by and large unlicensed CUUSO/Ideas sets are known mainly to hardcore Lego collectors, people on boards/forums, regular Lego store shoppers The licensed sets are the ones that grab attention and headlines, more likely to be known to mainstream audiences.
You do realize that LEGO sells non-licensed sets every day of the year, right? Would it be that difficult to put this on shelves with City, Creator, Castles, Galaxy Squad, Mixels, etc? Saying it wouldn't sell because it's not Star Wars, Minecraft, or Friends is just naive. LEGO was built on non-licensed sets. If they put an ounce of effort into getting the set out there, it could be a hit, but we'll never know.

I wonder how much of 'sharing a % of the profits' goes into this decision. Did the Minecraft designer get a % of all the Minecraft sets or just the first?

The Research Institute could be an ongoing series of women in many different fields. Have future sets with an Oceanographer, Geologist, Botanist, Biologist, Zoologist, Archeologist, etc.

Again, the whole situation is just baffling.

We now return to your regularly scheduled internet outrage of the day, already in progress.
This to the millionth degree. This thread title should be changed "Whine about LEGO and eurobricks here."

On topic: I'm stoked about the double decker couch. I wasn't too interested in shelling out the MSRP of the Sea Cow, and too lazy to google the instructions, so I will pull the trigger on this. I would love a $19.99 price tag, but I see TLG throwing a 24.99 sticker on it. Hope I'm way wrong.

LEGO is my god. They can do no wrong. All hail LEGO! All hail LEGO!

I'm more whining about the stupidity of trying to defend a company that won't bother even trying to make enough product. And acting like it's a good thing a set was made for six hours and then act like it's fine that LEGO is fucking over independent stores.

But LEGO is awesome. They are my bestie friend. They can't do anything wrong. :roll:

Some more 2015 pictures have been released. I don't see the point in more racing sets, this time licensed but we shall see.

The mini figures look awesome in the super hero sets. The vehicles are hit or miss.

A set was available for a few hours on a single day and that's it? That's what we're sticking to? :lol: Come on, even the most staunch TLG defender has to see the folly in that stance.

That being said, if anyone lives near or visits a LEGO store (I'm 1.5 hours away from one) and sees the Research Institute, I would be your biggest fan if you could hook me up with a couple (I have 2 girls).

It's pathetic that it comes to begging strangers on the internet to hook a person up for a $20 box of plastic bricks.
If that doesn't work, you can also call the Lego stores and they will ship it to your house. I did this when I was looking for the Fire Brigade and was able to get one.

You do realize that LEGO sells non-licensed sets every day of the year, right? Would it be that difficult to put this on shelves with City, Creator, Castles, Galaxy Squad, Mixels, etc? Saying it wouldn't sell because it's not Star Wars, Minecraft, or Friends is just naive. LEGO was built on non-licensed sets. If they put an ounce of effort into getting the set out there, it could be a hit, but we'll never know.

I wonder how much of 'sharing a % of the profits' goes into this decision. Did the Minecraft designer get a % of all the Minecraft sets or just the first?

The Research Institute could be an ongoing series of women in many different fields. Have future sets with an Oceanographer, Geologist, Botanist, Biologist, Zoologist, Archeologist, etc.

Again, the whole situation is just baffling.
Yes, that is understood but again I was specifically speaking in regards to CUUSO/Ideas licensed vs non-licensed. Perhaps the demand for the research institute isn't as big as everyone's own personal experiences suggest it is. Right after this and the exo-suit were released there was a mad scramble by everyone to get the exo-suit. Personally I don't see the hype behind the exo-suit but that's just me. Lost in all that hype was the research institute. Yes it sold out but it came back a couple times, more often than the exo-suit anyways. Eventually Lego came out and said they were going into another production run for the exo-suit. The only news regarding the research institute to come out was that it was no longer available on Shop @ Home and may be found in Lego stores. It is reasonable to assume that the demand and hype for the exo suit overshadowed the research institute.

LEGO is my god. They can do no wrong. All hail LEGO! All hail LEGO!

I'm more whining about the stupidity of trying to defend a company that won't bother even trying to make enough product. And acting like it's a good thing a set was made for six hours and then act like it's fine that LEGO is fucking over independent stores.

But LEGO is awesome. They are my bestie friend. They can't do anything wrong. :roll:
Cute. When in doubt, can't make a valid argument, make nonsensical post to reinforce previous unprovable nonsense. Quick insert opinion on Eurobricks or wasn't funny the first time girls/jetskis "joke" here to complete the cycle.

Oh no, the almighty Canadian independent market is getting "fucked" over by Lego. I know logic is lost on you but its not Lego that's fucking over the Canadian indies, its the big chains - Toys R Us, Target, Walmart - who know the demand for Lego is high, therefore place higher orders for the holidays, where more people are more likely to shop. Neither of us have numbers but what percentage of the market do you think Canadian indie stores make up of Lego sales/distribution? I know your disdain for Lego is approaching that of Eurobricks but in your mind do you envision a dart board marked with Toys R Us, Target, Walmart and Canadian indie stores and that's how they made their decision?

I have complained about Lego in the past - distribution, exclusives, prices, etc - but because I don't blindly scream "OUTRAGE!" at every disagreeable move they make and jump in the bitchfest of a dogpile and instead look at things objectively and reasonably, I must think Lego does no wrong. Does that sum up your typical infantile internet opinion? Even if I was a Lego "cheerleader", for lack of a better term, what does it get me? Nothing. I don't work for them. I don't get discounts or free product. I buy what I want at prices I feel comfortable with. The nerve of me.

What does typical bitching on the internet get you? (other than fulfilling the angry nerd/collector/fanboy stereotype) Are you going to change Lego business practices or prices with your whining? Or are you just fine to look around the room and see who else has the torches and pitchforks in their hands and say "Yeah fuck those guys!" "Yeah fuck them!" "..." "Umm, so now what?" /crickets

You do know there are ways to reach out to Lego right? Facebook, Twitter, petitions, emails, calls, letters. Even if you don't get a response or the response you wanted at least you can say you made an effort, your voice heard. But I get it, bitching on a message board is all entitled laziness will allow.

A set was available for a few hours on a single day and that's it? That's what we're sticking to? :lol: Come on, even the most staunch TLG defender has to see the folly in that stance.

I'm heading to the Lego store this weekend. I'll keep you posted.

What's funny is that if you collect any kind of action figure line, you'd see that Lego has probably the best distribution model out of all of the major brands... most things are readily available and only get rare when they announce they'll be eol'd and the completionist and/or scalper mentality starts up.  The major exception are the convention exclusive stuff which are almost impossible to get.

Pretty smart of them to hold off a movie mini-set containing normal Uni-kitty (only available in Cloud Cuckoo set), Benny (only available in huge sets) and the double decker couch (a draw of the Sea Cow) until after everyone bought the other sets for the figures. 

I had no idea how popular the research institute was going to be. I consider myself very lucky to have been in the store when it was available. I do plan on picking up a copy or two to put away if I have the chance. I'd feel bad if I didn't buy more Lego with the profits. :p I do hope it's vain, though. I think this set definitely needs a much larger run. It's like the series 1 & 2 minifigs all over again. Cool as shit, but so hard to find, why even bother?

It's double points month everyone so buy up those expensive sets.

Also AWD went back to normal so yay for that.

It's double points month everyone so buy up those expensive sets.

Also AWD went back to normal so gay for that.
I'm trying to get some scratch and dent stuff from my store to get maximum discount. Was told there's never a sandwalker with damagee or would consider it. Any chance that will go on clearance? Does any UCS stuff go on sale? I heard the B-wing was clearanced for a while.

I'm trying to get some scratch and dent stuff from my store to get maximum discount. Was told there's never a sandwalker with damagee or would consider it. Any chance that will go on clearance? Does any UCS stuff go on sale? I heard the B-wing was clearanced for a while.
B Wing was on sale for a May the Fourth weekend sale last year. It's because it doesn't really sell. It's incredibly rare when the big special sets go on sale. I'd say that if you want the set wait to see if there is a triple points weekend again because there will probably be at least another double point.

But spend $99 and you will get a little elves set. Probably can be resold for like $20.

B Wing was on sale for a May the Fourth weekend sale last year. It's because it doesn't really sell. It's incredibly rare when the big special sets go on sale. I'd say that if you want the set wait to see if there is a triple points weekend again because there will probably be at least another double point.

But spend $99 and you will get a little elves set. Probably can be resold for like $20.
Yeah, that seems cool. They have Chima Temple for 70 bucks plus double points so I'll try and get that. Does the elves thing come in a box? I'd think it would with that piece count.

Yeah, that seems cool. They have Chima Temple for 70 bucks plus double points so I'll try and get that. Does the elves thing come in a box? I'd think it would with that piece count.
Hmm, no idea. Going to the Lego store tonight if no one else finds out by then.

I'm taking my kids to the Lego Kids Fest in Michigan this weekend.

Has anyone ever been to one of these?

o.png
I've been to the first one with a friend (with no kids) back in 2009.

They have changed them around. They are fine to go to once if you have children, but otherwise kind of overpriced and "ehh". The friend I went with went to one in spring 2013 I think. He said it was improved a bit but nothing special.

I got all the cmf series 12, I got 13 on 9.26.14, they weren't supposed to sell at toys r us but they did and they manipulated something in register to allow, I didn't know, I saw the receipt and asked why it said clearance then she told me she had to do that to allow the sale to go through. I asked no problem to return right she said it was fine. Yesterday I found more at target found 2 that I needed going through whole display. I went home needing 1 more. Then I went back to target and bought 12 more. Walked away decided to get 1 more felt the first one for a minute and it was the last one I needed, glad I went back! How I almost missed it looking through display 3x. DECIDED to price match but tru doesn't pricematch the receipt I called and asked so I just returned the mini figures from tru back to TRU and the customer service lady is questioning the receipt saying the items don't match, I told her what happended they figured it out and let me return I told her nobody questioned when I bought, and I even asked about it. They require picture ID now for all returns. Well I am happy I got them all and at $2.99, I can't believe they charge so much at toysrus it was a big difference in price.

Well I am happy I got them all and at $2.99, I can't believe they charge so much at toysrus it was a big difference in price.
I think they were this price at my nearby Walmart as well. They didn't have them out yesterday, but I asked the one knowledgeable lady that works in toys, and she said they had them in the back. They just weren't out yet. She offered to go get them, but considering I was at the end of my break, I couldn't wait. She showed me where on the shelf they would be if I came back, and I think it said $2.99. Man, I hope so.

Second guessing myself, so I'm going to have to take an early break today to go look.

I checked Target yesterday, they didn't have them out (was also on my break and couldn't wait for someone to get them) but in the system they are labeled as Series 12 and ring up at $2.99. Hopefully Target doesn't catch this

I went to the Lego store last night and picked up the store calendar for November and the free PAB box promo isn't on it. Does anyone remember if the PAB box giveaway started in November, or December in previous years? I could have sworn that promo ran from November to Christmas eve. Unless my memory is failing me, that promo isn't taking place this year

I went to the Lego store last night and picked up the store calendar for November and the free PAB box promo isn't on it. Does anyone remember if the PAB box giveaway started in November, or December in previous years? I could have sworn that promo ran from November to Christmas eve. Unless my memory is failing me, that promo isn't taking place this year
No, they've cancelled the PAB promo from everything we've heard. There's been a huge discussion about this on Brickset when someone posted the November calender a week or so ago. I think the Lego retail stores are gonna see a drop in sales this holiday, I know a lot of people, myself included, only got Lego there because of the promo.

Maybe it's December, since there's a free Black Friday Christmas set?

Edit: Nvm, saw above post.

Found the new CMFs at Wal-Mart today.  The box had already been pilfered.  Dunno how long.  Less than half were left.

I picked up a Goth Girl and a Genie Girl.  I was going to also pick up a Rock Star, but there were plenty of him, as well as plenty of the Pizza Delivery Man, Video Game Guy, and Swashbuckler.  Tons of Swashbucklers.

The 3.96 pricetag was a definite enthusiasm-killer.  I decided to wait on everything I could live without, with the hope of picking it up on sale.  I do want a Pig Suit Guy, Battle Goddess, and Rock Star, and some of the others maybe.  I can totally afford $3.96, but I thought the figures were pricey before, and now they're just overpriced.  Also, these designs aren't so great that I have to have them all.

Genie Girl is good, but why isn't she blue?  Also, it would have been nice if the face had an alternate non-winking image.  Goth Girl seems off.  I'm not sure why.  I think the bear is a mistake, and is kind of a lazy reuse of an existing accessory.  The details are nice, but it doesn't feel quite as right as the Mime or the Sad Clown. 

I'm really kind of 'meh' on Lego right now.  There are a lot of good sets, but they're as expensive as ever or more.  I feel like I 'should' order something with 2x Bonus Points and the 1/2 Holiday extra, but I'm really not that excited for Santa's Village (and neither are the reviewers on S@H), and I don't want to spend the $200+ to get an actually awesome set.

No PAB is yet another mystifying move from Lego.  That promotion already benefits them -- you have to return to the store later, when you will hopefully buy more -- and the cost is low for them.  How nice that they feel we don't need incentives to buy their ever-more-expensive stuff.

ordered Santa's Village, the SW Advent Calendar and $7 in PAB stuff. That's good for free ship and the Elf set.

We'd been doing the Friends Advent calendar but that set looks anemic this year.

No PAB is yet another mystifying move from Lego. That promotion already benefits them -- you have to return to the store later, when you will hopefully buy more -- and the cost is low for them. How nice that they feel we don't need incentives to buy their ever-more-expensive stuff.
Didn't you know LEGO became number one by pissing off their customer base? They really don't seem to want you to go into their brand stores.

In other news TRU has a billion tiny boxes of the bricktober sets in the back.

And a won a ticket to NYC comic con next Thursday. But I'm supposed to work. So work or comic con... Hmmm. :lol:

The 3.96 pricetag was a definite enthusiasm-killer. I decided to wait on everything I could live without, with the hope of picking it up on sale. I do want a Pig Suit Guy, Battle Goddess, and Rock Star, and some of the others maybe. I can totally afford $3.96, but I thought the figures were pricey before, and now they're just overpriced. Also, these designs aren't so great that I have to have them all.

Genie Girl is good, but why isn't she blue? Also, it would have been nice if the face had an alternate non-winking image. Goth Girl seems off. I'm not sure why. I think the bear is a mistake, and is kind of a lazy reuse of an existing accessory. The details are nice, but it doesn't feel quite as right as the Mime or the Sad Clown.
At least they went back to three full sets per box, which is nice. You can also buy whole sets on ebay for about $4 a piece, so you don't have to spend time hunting them down.

I'm most annoyed at the princess. I got two of her, but her hat is so loose. If I'm paying $4 for it, it shouldn't be this crappy in quality.

The Genie Girl is supposed to be I Dream of Jeanie, I'm guessing. Which is why she's not blue.

---

Built the X-Men versus Sentinel set yesterday. Not that fun of a build, but the Black Bird looks pretty decent. Sentinel is relatively tiny. And there's like 4 stickers, all of which are pretty much impossible to center.

I'm most annoyed at the princess. I got two of her, but her hat is so loose. If I'm paying $4 for it, it shouldn't be this crappy in quality.
That's my main issue! If LEGO increased the price to fix the mini figure legs or hats and such, then OK I can understand it, but they didn't. My TRU still has Simpsons mini figures which hasn't happened to be an overlap in series since around series 7/8.

There are rumorsthat the Chima battle packs will be $10 each. if that is the case then we get three mini figures and about 50 pieces for $10. That's a little nutty to think about.

At least they went back to three full sets per box, which is nice. You can also buy whole sets on ebay for about $4 a piece, so you don't have to spend time hunting them down.
I just did that. At 4.28 after tax someone was selling the whole set for 78 bucks which is a 9 dollar markup. I'll see how well this goes over at Xmas but I like the idea of skipping the whole bag molesting process at Target.

I got a complete set of the new collectible minifigures from the Target on Howard in Evanston, IL for $2.99 each.  The sign above the box read the same.  They must not realize the price change.

However, after opening a few of them, I've decided to sell half of them to a friend.  The quality isn't very good.  As already mentioned, the princess and the Hun figures have hats that do not stay.  The yellow of the swashbuckler's chest doesn't match the yellow of the figure.  The legs on the piggy guy feel like a cheaper plastic, as does the hair of the princess, dino hunter, and genie.  The genie doesn't really stay on her lamp either.  Really disappointed.  I'm only keeping a few that I felt I really wanted.

That being said, they did a great job on the wizard figure.  And the space miner has a pretty interesting helmet.

Overall, a disappointment - especially if they are $3.99! 

Does anyone have the Ghostbuster set?  There were two on AWD this morning for about 5-10 minutes for $41.  I was thinking about buying it because the mini figures are so great, but the price is not.  I can get one at anytime at TRU with my discount for $45 and with free polies and such I think it might be a better deal. I'm hoping for Target to bring it down a little like they did with the BttF set.

Someone asked when the Slave 1 comes out?  January 1st, 2015.

Does anyone have the Ghostbuster set? There were two on AWD this morning for about 5-10 minutes for $41. I was thinking about buying it because the mini figures are so great, but the price is not. I can get one at anytime at TRU with my discount for $45 and with free polies and such I think it might be a better deal. I'm hoping for Target to bring it down a little like they did with the BttF set.

Someone asked when the Slave 1 comes out? January 1st, 2015.
I think Ecto 1 is a great set. The car looks impressive, the build is fun and there are some interesting ideas with the windows. Lots of details everywhere, and they are well thought out. It's a nice touch that you can attach all the proton packs to the car. The only real downside is that it's a little sketchy trying to fit all the Ghostbusters inside the car at once, but not really a big issue.

I really like the set. Better than BttF. Don't miss it.

I think Ecto 1 is a great set. The car looks impressive, the build is fun and there are some interesting ideas with the windows. Lots of details everywhere, and they are well thought out. It's a nice touch that you can attach all the proton packs to the car. The only real downside is that it's a little sketchy trying to fit all the Ghostbusters inside the car at once, but not really a big issue.

I really like the set. Better than BttF. Don't miss it.
OK, good to hear.

I guess my issue is more, is it worth $41-$45? It's just a car. The TRU I work at has three of them, so I can get one whenever for $45. It just seems like a lot for a car.

OK, good to hear.

I guess my issue is more, is it worth $41-$45? It's just a car. The TRU I work at has three of them, so I can get one whenever for $45. It just seems like a lot for a car.
It's a car, and the minifigures, which are worth $4 each now :p

In general, I don't collect Lego vehicles. Buildings are my thing. That said, I really like the Ecto-1. I think it is worth it. Would I rather pay less? Sure. Is the vehicle alone worth $40? Probably not. With the minifigures? Yes.

I enjoyed the build, I really like the finished product, and everything about it was top notch. I may not be terribly happy with the direction Lego is going or some of their recent decisions, but I have no problem throwing them compliments when they did something just right. This is one of those cases.

Was BttF worth $30? (more or less?) Then this is definitely worth ~$40, especially since the vehicle is much nicer.

When you buy the snowman in stores, don't say variations of "Do you want to build a snowman" to the employees, cause they were sick of it by day 1.

Anyone going/gone to Toys R Us for the mini modulars?

I won a ticket to NYC Comic Con from brick set months ago now it seems. I was told that they would mail the ticket, then a few days later would need to pick it up. Never heard back from LEGO until yesterday. It seems so poorly planned I'm probably not going to go anymore.

bread's done
Back