LEGO Deals 3

In fairness they are only difficult to find because they just came out on May 1. I've only seen them at TRU and the Lego store so far but I am sure all stores will be swimming in them any day now

I bought a full set on eBay, for roughly $11 over msrp with no sales or discounts I felt was worth it. This wave doesn't look like it would be too hard to feel up other than Patty and Selma. I just felt that my time was worth that.

Anyone know if the Raptor Escape set for the Jurassic World line is a retailer exclusive? If so, which retailer? Thanks!
From what I could tell, a few websites are saying it is a retailer exclusive but I can't figure out who the exclusive retailer is. I actually picked one up at my local Lego store today cause I saw it and didn't want to have to worry about tracking down later which retailer it will be exclusive to. Furthermore, if it ends up being a toysrus exclusive there's the dreaded TRU tax.

I bought a full set on eBay, for roughly $11 over msrp with no sales or discounts I felt was worth it. This wave doesn't look like it would be too hard to feel up other than Patty and Selma. I just felt that my time was worth that.
I really want to do that again but I doled them out to my son over many weeks only to find numerous repeats and the seller wasn't interested in fixing the issue. couldn't blame her as it had been two months but I was still made because there quite a few doubles

I really want to do that again but I doled them out to my son over many weeks only to find numerous repeats and the seller wasn't interested in fixing the issue. couldn't blame her as it had been two months but I was still made because there quite a few doubles
If you don't care there are sellers that have opened them to ensure your getting what you paid for.

Got Lego Movie #70808 Super Cycle Chase for $34.98 at Target today. 204-00-1266
Cool--that appears to be the common price around here, though not many are left on shelves, according to Brickseek. I'll chance it and try for a lower price in a week. I like the look of that jeep!

4MMvHsG.jpg

Got it from Walmart in Oregon

Last I checked, they had like 5 more of these

Whoa, Portal 2?  Awesome.  I was mostly in for Back to the Future, but Portal 2 puts it over the top.  Insert 'take all my money' meme here.

So I really want to get my girlfriend the wolverine chopper showdown for her birthday but it is now ridiculously expensive ... For trade I have the batman/mr freeze set .. Batwing joker set (newer one) or the 2 face/ batman set (also new one) .. Those are my superhero sets .. I also have mountain hut and Lego city heavy duty helicopter .. I would even trade my new quinjet city chase (sealed) for one

Feeling up Patty and Selma...
549066378b986.jpg

They're competing with Disney on the brand front at the point and that's just crazy. As much as I hate Activision I think Skylanders is still the only one to do this right. Amiibo and Disney Infinity are both pretty big fails so far so I hope Lego has learned from all the mistakes they have made. If the depth and accessibility are there I'm in. Personally I'm hoping for Lego City: Undercover gameplay with huge levels of customization and some extra levels from the additional packs. Would really love the base lego brands to get some representation though, it's always great to see City, Pirates, etc. represented even if they are more generic.

They're competing with Disney on the brand front at the point and that's just crazy. As much as I hate Activision I think Skylanders is still the only one to do this right. Amiibo and Disney Infinity are both pretty big fails so far so I hope Lego has learned from all the mistakes they have made. If the depth and accessibility are there I'm in. Personally I'm hoping for Lego City: Undercover gameplay with huge levels of customization and some extra levels from the additional packs. Would really love the base lego brands to get some representation though, it's always great to see City, Pirates, etc. represented even if they are more generic.
You might want to check your facts on Amiibo and Infinity being failures. Yeah, they're not as big as Skylanders but they've been doing pretty well for their respective companies.

You might want to check your facts on Amiibo and Infinity being failures. Yeah, they're not as big as Skylanders but they've been doing pretty well for their respective companies.
Yeah but these are 3 different markets. Amiibo adds things like dlc, costumes and neat things to a majority of 1st party titles, Infinity appeals to the minecraft audience looking to create a world for themselves. Skylanders is a video game.

I wouldnt call amiibo or infinity failures, but i certainly agree that skylanders is the best product out of the 3. Lego is about building and creating, so I would bank pretty heavily on these games having a large creation aspect instead of a straight forward video style like skylanders.

Yeah but these are 3 different markets. Amiibo adds things like dlc, costumes and neat things to a majority of 1st party titles, Infinity appeals to the minecraft audience looking to create a world for themselves. Skylanders is a video game.

I wouldnt call amiibo or infinity failures, but i certainly agree that skylanders is the best product out of the 3. Lego is about building and creating, so I would bank pretty heavily on these games having a large creation aspect instead of a straight forward video style like skylanders.
On the other hand, traditional Lego games are action adventure (like Skylanders). Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll combine Skylanders' campaigns with Infinity's toy box.

I don't want to speak for Fatnot but I think he meant creatively the other brands are failures. Sure they sell but Amiibos are kind of pointless.

I don't want to speak for Fatnot but I think he meant creatively the other brands are failures. Sure they sell but Amiibos are kind of pointless.
Yeah, after re-reading his post I think that is what he intended. I originally understood him saying they were failures in terms of sales, which is pretty far from the actuality. In terms of then creativity of the implementation though, I agree to a certain extent that they aren't as compelling as Skylanders. They bring some interesting things to the table, such as effectively allowing for cross platform information transfer with Super Smash Brothers and Amiibo but it is a bit of a boring implementation that I would be interested to know what they actual usage vs collection/ownership ratio is.

Are you Frink-less, friend?

I got the last three I needed the other day at Target (including Frink). It's a great series! Winter Maggie or something like that would have been a nice change, though.

Yeah, pretty sure Fatbot was referring to implementation.    Infinity figs do nothing.  You set 'em on the base and that's pretty much it.    Gotta have specific figures to play specific levels (can't use Buzz in the Incredibles world?  weak sauce). Also, lose the playset piece and you're fucked.  Amiibos?  Unlock costumes?  Yeah, I got nothing on this one.  Skylanders being hot swappable alone makes it more interactive and makes collecting the figures, make sense.

Back to LEGO, hopefully they are closer to Skylanders (and even normal LEGO games) where unlocking them allows you to use any figure in any level.  So  Marty McFly can go on adventures with Dr. Who or take Homer into Jurassic Park.

Last edited by a moderator:
LEGO may have gotten me with the Doctor.  I had been thinking I would skip it, but I love me some Doctor Who. Though I will have to wait for at least half off, I don't think I have yet encountered the game I would pay anywhere close to $100 for.

Yeah, pretty sure Fatbot was referring to implementation. Infinity figs do nothing. You set 'em on the base and that's pretty much it. Gotta have specific figures to play specific levels (can't use Buzz in the Incredibles world? weak sauce). Also, lose the playset piece and you're fucked. Amiibos? Unlock costumes? Yeah, I got nothing on this one. Skylanders being hot swappable alone makes it more interactive and makes collecting the figures, make sense.

Back to LEGO, hopefully they are closer to Skylanders (and even normal LEGO games) where unlocking them allows you to use any figure in any level. So Marty McFly can go on adventures with Dr. Who or take Homer into Jurassic Park.
I wouldn't say Infinity figs do nothing. They gain levels and have a skill tree to customize the figure in game. The downside of being locked to specific play sets outside of toy box mode does suck but there's a rumor that's being removed with Star Wars(and they already dabbled with some figures being playable in multiple sets with Marvel). Aside from being locked to certain playsets, implementation of Infinity figures isn't that much different than Skylanders.

Amiibo, as I said before, are pretty much worthless for game features. Definitely the weakest implementation of toys to life thus far.

I really hope there is some sort of progression with experience/levels in the Dimensions figures and that they are cross playset compatible. It almost seems like a given that there'll be an infinity-like toy box mode cause Legos but they really haven't said too much about how it'll play. The biggest drawback right now is the price, I'm really hoping for a Black Friday sale on it because $100 is just too much.

We are still getting a Doctor Who Ideas set so this $20 mini figure set isn't needed.
Isn't the Ideas set the 10th Doctor with Rose? The one shown here is the 12th Doctor.

LEGO may have gotten me with the Doctor. I had been thinking I would skip it, but I love me some Doctor Who. Though I will have to wait for at least half off, I don't think I have yet encountered the game I would pay anywhere close to $100 for.
It's actually Portal that has me really tempted. Look at that little companion cube and portal gun!

So...yeah... I just mean failures as in "not interesting".  :whistle2:

Adding skill trees in Infinity was awesome but they are only supported in the terrible 2.0 play sets, right? So Infinity seems like it suffers from a poorly executed Toy Box and very weak 2.0 play sets.  I'm totally open to getting 3.0 but considering they went in the wrong direction with 1.0 to 2.0 I'm skeptical. If there's a saving grace it's that there's MUCH more potential utility for the Infinity figs if Toy Box ever becomes a great platform like Little Big Planet did for year.

Amiibo is also heavily under utilized as it seems like they struggled to get any development teams to making meaningful content that was unlocked by an Amiibo. Amiibo Tap was a great first step but they seriously need to consider making games that use them in a dedicated way rather than just as figurines that add trivial content to games.

There's a ton of way I think Dimensions could sidestep these problems but but I felt the same way about Amiibo and Infinity so we'll have to see how dedicated WB and Lego are to becoming the market leader.

Noticed that Walmart put a couple of sets on clearance, mostly the Agents stuff but also the new TMNT Movie Lair set.  Most stores in my area are at about 30% off.

I wouldn't say Infinity figs do nothing. They gain levels and have a skill tree to customize the figure in game.
So do Skylanders. Point was in Infinity you set the figure on the base and forget about it. There is no interactivity. There's literally no reason for the figures to exist. You can't mix them up in different levels so the whole game should exist on its own without figs.

Noticed that Walmart put a couple of sets on clearance, mostly the Agents stuff but also the new TMNT Movie Lair set. Most stores in my area are at about 30% off.
Yeah they had a strange one off clearance for the series two starwars mini's as well. maybe if they drop the lair to sub $50 i'd be in. My walmart has 3

Isn't the Ideas set the 10th Doctor with Rose? The one shown here is the 12th Doctor.
No, they had the teaser of the set and it's the new Doctor. I think it might be a license issue. Kind of like how the redone Goldeneye several years back wrongly had Daniel Craig.

Quality of game aside, these little minifig + minirig kits that you buy as DLC are gonna be affordable ways to get some new characters just as LEGO. You certainly don't have to buy Dimensions to get the Wicked Witch and Portal sets, for example. So we've got that going for us. Which is nice.

Quality of game aside, these little minifig + minirig kits that you buy as DLC are gonna be affordable ways to get some new characters just as LEGO. You certainly don't have to buy Dimensions to get the Wicked Witch and Portal sets, for example. So we've got that going for us. Which is nice.
Affordable? It's $15 for a mini figure and a few random parts.

I just hope LEGO knows what they are doing, because recently they have shown they haven't, and that these aren't as hard to find as Amiibos.

I rather have a $90 Oz set that includes all the mini figures and a decent setup than 5 mini figure each at $15.

The single packs are $15, the doubles are $25 to $30.

I just hope LEGO knows what they are doing, because recently they have shown they haven't, and that these aren't as hard to find as Amiibos.

I rather have a $90 Oz set that includes all the mini figures and a decent setup than 5 mini figure each at $15.

The single packs are $15, the doubles are $25 to $30.
well you're not just paying for the minifigure. It's also for that neat little embedded chip that is used to put the figure in the game. They do this same format for every one of these types of games from Skylanders to Infinity. The plus side is that TRU, Target, and Bestbuy are always having those really cool BOGO sales so you can just be a little patient and you can get them for less than $15 if that's a major point of contention.

I'm really beginning to think the mini figs will be permanently attached to the bases, ala what they do with the mini figure magnets now.

Where is it reported that the single figures will be $15 each? The Ninjago 4-pack is listed as $24.99, which is as much as Infinity two-packs and Skylanders 3-packs. The BTTF 3-pack is listed as $29.99.

Edit: Ah, it's $14.99 for a two-pack. That's not really that bad...

I'm really beginning to think the mini figs will be permanently attached to the bases, ala what they do with the mini figure magnets now.
That's been my fear but I thought I read that there have been instructions posted for building the minifigs and lil doohickeys so hopefully that means no glue.

well you're not just paying for the minifigure. It's also for that neat little embedded chip that is used to put the figure in the game. They do this same format for every one of these types of games from Skylanders to Infinity. The plus side is that TRU, Target, and Bestbuy are always having those really cool BOGO sales so you can just be a little patient and you can get them for less than $15 if that's a major point of contention.
Hopefully retailers treat these packs like Skylanders and Infinity and we get good sales. I'm not so sure that they will though.

Hopefully retailers treat these packs like Skylanders and Infinity and we get good sales. I'm not so sure that they will though.
Considering this will be the 4th toy line for video games and the fact that Rock Band and Guitar Hero are returning in the fall pretty much guarantees that we will see discounts after Christmas to clear shelf space. That's a lot of plastic to stock

Considering this will be the 4th toy line for video games and the fact that Rock Band and Guitar Hero are returning in the fall pretty much guarantees that we will see discounts after Christmas to clear shelf space. That's a lot of plastic to stock
It will be interesting to see how well they are stocked. I don't know how Gamestop will manage with the guitar games coming back and another line of toys to find space for.

bread's done
Back